Des Connor- This Isn't A Coaching Thing | The Boneyard

Des Connor- This Isn't A Coaching Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I wonder what Dez believes the coaches are responsible for.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Des isn't a columnist but tries to write in that style. His opinion should appear nowhere in a news story or whatever he thinks this is. The lack of editing at the courant has been obvious for a while, but he really needs to get back to basics.

Reaction Score
As much as folks use this site to dump on Dez (and I'm ambivalent on him)....in the context of the article he is right. Much more difficult for coaches, generally, to keep players together during adverse times than it is for the players to do so. Think of other times we have all read about a player's only meeting led by the captains. Often seen as a necessary step when things are going wrong.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Des isn't a columnist but tries to write in that style. His opinion should appear nowhere in a news story or whatever he thinks this is. The lack of editing at the courant has been obvious for a while, but he really needs to get back to basics.

Very well written TRest.

But I'd also like to stress that Des isn't a columnist but tries to write in that style. His opinion should appear nowhere in a news story or whatever he thinks this is. The lack of editing at the courant has been obvious for a while, but he really needs to get back to basics.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What a joke! It's not the coaches fault that the schemes are flawed? That both the offense and defense looked lost? Didn't PP remove the OLine coach and install a zone blocking scheme when the OLine was the strength of the team? Who was at fault when there were 12 men on the field when the offense was in the red zone? And, what about RB and TE depth? RBs can start year 1 or year 2, so no excuse for the coaches. It doesn't take a genius to see that McCombs is not an every down FBS RB and PP could have brought in better RBs at least the last 2 recruiting cycles.

Anybody who thinks PP is not at fault knows nothing about college football.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Of course it's the coaches fault. look around at all the teams for lesser conferences that are more competitive than us, that can complete a pass, that can be fun to watch.

Our team is painful to watch, and that falls on the coaching staff

every other argument is nothing more than fog

Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
There's another article by Des that calls out the coaches. For Des this is big.

The coach and coordinators had a bad night. They didn't have the Huskies prepared to win, plain and simple. The Huskies' key players had bad nights as well. Pasqualoni called the errors they made correctable. The ones that he and his staff made are correctable, too.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-follow-0831-20130830,0,7630738.story

Yes, the errors are correctable. They have been for the past two plus seasons. I'm curious as to when the coaches will begin correcting them.

Reaction Score
This board is too hard on Dez, what he said was "it isn't only a coaching thing" and it was in reference to picking themselves up.

Reaction Score
Yes, the errors are correctable. They have been for the past two plus seasons. I'm curious as to when the coaches will begin correcting them.

I agree with you but I posted it because the OP was misleading. Des would never have said these things the past 2 years. Good to see him coming around.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
To be fair guys, he said this isn't only a coaching thing. Not wrong.

I re-read the article three times, I did not see the word only.

Reaction Score
I re-read the article three times, I did not see the word only.

10 paragraphs from the top or 7 paragraphs from bottom.

"This isn't only a coaching thing. It's time for the captains, Greene, junior linebacker Yawin Smallwood and senior defensive tackle Shamar Stephen to step up and gather this team to make sure it doesn't break apart."

"You know what it is? You've got to quit all the talking, quit all the woulda, coulda, shouldas and get back to work," Greene said. "We've got to get ready and prepare for Maryland and come back out and execute everywhere better than we did."

Reaction Score
My guess is that half the people commenting on this didn't even read the article including the op. They just read the title of the thread with one key word omitted and flew off the handle.

Reactions: pj

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Medic, I must be linked to a different version of the article. Mine says this:
So, yes, shocking losses at home do happen.
This isn't a coaching thing. It's time for the captains, Greene, junior linebacker Yawin Smallwood and senior defensive tackle Shamar Stephen to step up and gather this team to make sure it doesn't break apart.
"You know what it is? You've got to quit all the talking, quit all the woulda, coulda, shouldas and get back to work," Greene said. "We've got to get ready and prepare for Maryland and come back out and execute everywhere better than we did."

I just noticed that I have kept this window open since I first hit the hyperlink (it says updated 10:00 pm) so my guess is that Dez saw the commotion it made and then corrected it.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
My guess is that half the people commenting on this didn't even read the article including the op. They just read the title of the thread with one key word omitted and flew off the handle.

Nope I did read it and when I read the article it said this isn't a coaching problem. It may have been edited since.

Reaction Score
Medic, I must be linked to a different version of the article. Mine says this:
This isn't a coaching thing. It's time for the captains, Greene, junior linebacker Yawin Smallwood and senior defensive tackle Shamar Stephen to step up and gather this team to make sure it doesn't break apart.

I just noticed that I have kept this window open since I first hit the hyperlink (it says updated 10:00 pm) so my guess is that Dez saw the commotion it made and then corrected it.

Got ya.I'm seeing updated @ 2014 hrs on the website. I only saw the corrected copy (I really think it was an omission of the word "only" based on the context of Greene's quote). Oh well, gonna be a long two weeks.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

[On edit: this is a copyrighted article. I edited out a good portion and left a few pertinent paragraphs. Please do NOT post copyrighted material here in its entirety]

Dev, here is the entire article that I've had open for nearly an hour:
UConn Recovering From Painful Loss By Learning From It
By DESMOND CONNER,dconner@courant.com
The Hartford Courant
5:24 p.m. EDT, August 31, 2013

Losses happen. Shocking losses happen, too. Michigan, the winningest program in college football, is coming to Rentschler on Sept. 21. Appalachian State pinned one of the biggest David vs. Goliath upsets on the Wolverines — in Ann Arbor — that college football has ever seen. App State won the 2007 season opener 34-32.
That game, which was played on national TV, has a Wikipediapage (the Wolverines lost their next game, too, before winning eight straight to finish 9-4 that season).
Copyright © 2013, The Hartford Courant

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Nope I did read it and when I read the article it said this isn't a coaching problem. It may have been edited since.

I got to "By Desmond Conner" and made the decision to ask my girlfriend what she was thinking about instead of reading any further.

It wasn't the most pleasant 90 minutes of my life but it got me laid instead of me feeling neglected and lied to.

Reaction Score
Dev, here is the entire article that I've had open for nearly an hour:
My post was mainly referring to the people who were posting about it not being the coaches fault and going off on tangents about the play on the field. Those people obliviously didn't read the article. The quote "this isn't a coaching thing" or " this isn't only a coaching thing" was not in reference to putting fault or blame on anyone. It was talking about bringing the team together. That is why I didn't think either way it was a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom