DePaul vs St Johns (merged thread) | The Boneyard

DePaul vs St Johns (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Surprised no one has commented. Half way through 3rd quarter tied at 60. Difference is refs called the fouls at the beginning of the game and the rough stufor DePaul got away with against UCONN stopped.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Surprised no one has commented. Half way through 3rd quarter tied at 60. Difference is refs called the fouls at the beginning of the game and the rough stufor DePaul got away with against UCONN stopped.
I did on the fouls, fouls, fouls thread. Morrow has only 20 pts and 3 fouls.

Reaction Score
The refs also never allowed the flopping. That quickly stopped too. Pretty cleanly played game when fouls called both ways. 91-88 DePaul with 34 sec left

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is hard to believe St. John's is 6-12.
Especially with the amount of talent on that roster. St John has 5 Top 100 kids on their roster; Bailey, Patterson, Drake, Cosgrove & Correa. They really should be competitive for 2nd place in the BE but they have no interest in playing defense.

Reaction Score
94-88 DePaul final. St John hung in to the end.

Reaction Score
DePaul wins 94-88. Good entertaining game. Pretty even well officiated game. DePaul's 3s the difference.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
DePaul wins 94-88. Good entertaining game. Pretty even well officiated game. DePaul's 3s the difference.
I beg to differ about the officiating. That's all I will say.
:eek:I beg to differ about about the entertaining part. Neither team was interested in playing defense and with ST. John down the only thing the coach could scream is "we need to get a stop here". I suppose some people would also consider watching the Washington Generals entertaining.

Reaction Score
I did on the fouls, fouls, fouls thread. Morrow has only 20 pts and 3 fouls.
True, three fouls. Oh, and she also actually had only 22 pts., plus 18 boards, and 3 steals...and she only played 39 minutes. I guess her knee is feeling okay. She's a player. Phenom comes to mind...so does Dennis Rodman (which merely means, as the say, you can't always tell a book by its cover.) She's going to be a thorn in our side for the next 3+ years. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good to see other teams in the Big East getting some talented player. Maybe UConn will actually get beat in a conference game at some point in the near future.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good to see other teams in the Big East getting some talented player. Maybe UConn will actually get beat in a conference game at some point in the near future.
Did you listen to Doug Bruno’s post-game presser? He was glad UConn joined the Big East as the program will draw better players to the other teams and the league, as a whole, will get better. It happened last time UConn was in the Big East - look at how Rutgers, St. John’s, Syracuse, and BC improved as the Huskies gained a reputation. Better coaching hires and better recruits.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
:eek:I beg to differ about about the entertaining part. Neither team was interested in playing defense and with ST. John down the only thing the coach could scream is "we need to get a stop here". I suppose some people would also consider watching the Washington Generals entertaining.
Doug Bruno teams never play defense. They are kind of like Paul Westhead coached men’s teams. If you can score, they will lose. It’s why his program is always dangerous but never nationally relevant.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Did you listen to Doug Bruno’s post-game presser? He was glad UConn joined the Big East as the program will draw better players to the other teams and the league, as a whole, will get better. It happened last time UConn was in the Big East - look at how Rutgers, St. John’s, Syracuse, and BC improved as the Huskies gained a reputation. Better coaching hires and better recruits.
It was even more. ND benefited as did West Virginia. For that matter GTown and Pitt got better. Hopefully the same will happen in Big East round 2.

Reaction Score
I laugh but you never know. UConn might get beat, one day, in a conference game...but not for awhile. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno teams never play defense. They are kind of like Paul Westhead coached men’s teams. If you can score, they will lose. It’s why his program is always dangerous but never nationally relevant.
You may be forgetting that Westhead actually ended his long coaching career coaching the Oregon women and that UCONN women smoked then in in 2013.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You may be forgetting that Westhead actually ended his long coaching career coaching the Oregon women and that UCONN women smoked then in in 2013.
Yeah. Westhead was stuck in a coaching philosophy rut. Bruno ditto. Great regular season record, bad NCAA success history even though his teams often are invited. He and Andy Landers might be the best examples of how colleges with more or less big time men’s programs are willing to stick with women’s coaches so long as their teams are ok. Not saying that’s a bad thing by the way but the standards tend to be different. That’s changing to a degree in the bigger conferences where the expectation of winning is growing even if not nationally prominent. It didn’t take UConn men’s fans to get to get edgy about a favorite alum Kevin Ollie even a few years after his team unexpectedly won an NC. I’m glad Bruno is in our league. Without him in the new BE we’d be hard pressed to find a good conference win. Hopefully the conference will grow competitively like the old BE. Geno might be gone by then.

Reaction Score
Is Morrow POY nationally? Is anyone better? Boston isn't putting up these sorts of numbers. Morrow gets a lot of steals also ( almost twice as much as anyone else on her team except Lexi Held who is 8 back ). It's not just rebounding and scoring. She's getting almost 4 times as many offensive rebounds as anyone else on her team and she's still playing only 28 minutes a game. Shooting .544 % from the field. I think I'd still give it to Boston but it's close. Boston has more Blocked shots and plays at a higher level of competition.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is Morrow POY nationally? Is anyone better? Boston isn't putting up these sorts of numbers. Morrow gets a lot of steals also ( almost twice as much as anyone else on her team except Lexi Held who is 8 back ). It's not just rebounding and scoring. She's getting almost 4 times as many offensive rebounds as anyone else on her team and she's still playing only 28 minutes a game. Shooting .544 % from the field.
Morrow is playing on an unranked team outside of Power 5 conference and putting up good numbers. She is not a POY candidate. To three candidates for POY are Boston for SC,Clark for Iowa, Lee for Kansas State.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True, three fouls. Oh, and she also actually had only 22 pts., plus 18 boards, and 3 steals...and she only played 39 minutes. I guess her knee is feeling okay. She's a player. Phenom comes to mind...so does Dennis Rodman (which merely means, as the say, you can't always tell a book by its cover.) She's going to be a thorn in our side for the next 3+ years. :eek:
Bruno is probably thinking that Caroline and Fudd will be a thorn in their side for the next three and a half years. ;)

Reaction Score
Yeah. Westhead was stuck in a coaching philosophy rut. Bruno ditto. Great regular season record, bad NCAA success history even though his teams often are invited. He and Andy Landers might be the best examples of how colleges with more or less big time men’s programs are willing to stick with women’s coaches so long as their teams are ok. Not saying that’s a bad thing by the way but the standards tend to be different. That’s changing to a degree in the bigger conferences where the expectation of winning is growing even if not nationally prominent. It didn’t take UConn men’s fans to get to get edgy about a favorite alum Kevin Ollie even a few years after his team unexpectedly won an NC. I’m glad Bruno is in our league. Without him in the new BE we’d be hard pressed to find a good conference win. Hopefully the conference will grow competitively like the old BE. Geno might be gone by then.

If your school isn't giving you the recruiting budget you nowadays need (because recruiting starts in 8th grade) you can't successfully bring in pro-prospect level players. Bruno isn't ever going to land an Ashlyn Shade or Toomey so he recruits scorers who may lack pro-level athleticism or are undersized. It looks like Bruno hit a longshot winner with his new post. When you have someone like her to keep you from being dominated inside and have a bunch of 3 pt shooters the result is a round 2 or 3 nightmare for some top 16 team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If your school isn't giving you the recruiting budget you nowadays need (because recruiting starts in 8th grade) you can't successfully bring in pro-prospect level players. Bruno isn't ever going to land an Ashlyn Shade or Toomey so he recruits scorers who may lack pro-level athleticism or are undersized. It looks like Bruno hit a longshot winner with his new post. When you have someone like her to keep you from being dominated inside and have a bunch of 3 pt shooters the result is a round 2 or 3 nightmare for some top 16 team.
He’s gotten past the first round only 3 times. and twice past the second round. He has rarely gotten deep enough to be the nightmare for any high ranked team in a regional. That’s with a lot of appearances. His teams are usually hard to play but don’t often win big ones. Maybe Morrow will change that. We will see. The problem is his teams play lousy defense. All I’m saying is that DePaul gives him leeway their mens coaches don’t get. But in their case I’ll grant it’s hard to tell since the men‘s coaches have pretty much all been failures by any definition for almost 30 years so they have had several and basketball is their biggest major sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom