DePaul vs St Johns (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul vs St Johns (merged thread)

Reaction Score
If your school isn't giving you the recruiting budget you nowadays need (because recruiting starts in 8th grade) you can't successfully bring in pro-prospect level players. Bruno isn't ever going to land an Ashlyn Shade or Toomey so he recruits scorers who may lack pro-level athleticism or are undersized. It looks like Bruno hit a longshot winner with his new post. When you have someone like her to keep you from being dominated inside and have a bunch of 3 pt shooters the result is a round 2 or 3 nightmare for some top 16 team.
Dont forget DePaul is in chicago. There is a wealth of womens BB talent right there and nearby in places like Milwaukee and Peoria. He doesn’t need a huge recruiting budget. The new stadium should also help.

sun

Reaction Score
Glossing over DePaul's roster, they have a few transfers and a bunch of notable high school players which some were nationally ranked.
DePaul has a lot of upperclassmen but not much size except for a 6'3" freshman who hasn't been playing much.
DePaul 3-peated as BE conference champions in 2020 which has helped them recruit some transfer students including from MIchigan and Washington.
Morrow's older sister transferred to DePaul from a Miami JC and probably recruited Aneesha who had won a Chicago high school championship.
Many of DePaul's players have either received awards or were finalists. or played AAU, and Illinois is a basketball state.
To top it off Aneesah Morrow made a Nike commercial in 2018.
Bruno commented after winning the 2020 BE title that now he would need to look out for UConn, so he probably wants to add some height to the team which he started to do this year with the frosh from WV.
If his goal is to make the NCAA's, then he has a very successful program which must help with his recruiting.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Glossing over DePaul's roster, they have a few transfers and a bunch of notable high school players which some were nationally ranked.
DePaul has a lot of upperclassmen but not much size except for a 6'3" freshman who hasn't been playing much.
DePaul 3-peated as BE conference champions in 2020 which has helped them recruit some transfer students including from MIchigan and Washington.
Morrow's older sister transferred to DePaul from a Miami JC and probably recruited Aneesha who had won a Chicago high school championship.
Many of DePaul's players have either received awards or were finalists. or played AAU, and Illinois is a basketball state.
To top it off Aneesah Morrow made a Nike commercial in 2018.
Bruno commented after winning the 2020 BE title that now he would need to look out for UConn, so he probably wants to add some height to the team which he started to do this year with the frosh from WV.
If his goal is to make the NCAA's, then he has a very successful program which must help with his recruiting.

Morrow's is a really good story. For her sake (and WCBB), I hope her knees hold up.

Reaction Score
Dont forget DePaul is in chicago. There is a wealth of womens BB talent right there and nearby in places like Milwaukee and Peoria. He doesn’t need a huge recruiting budget. The new stadium should also help.

But not elite level, which is what you have to have to be a top 10 team. No metro area has that much women's talent. There's a reason top schools recruit nationally.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Murrow snagged 27 rebounds against Seton Hall today. She might have just wrapped up BE (POY, DPOY, FOY).

Damn. I thought Park-Lane would have the advantage on the boards.

Reaction Score
Morrow is playing on an unranked team outside of Power 5 conference and putting up good numbers. She is not a POY candidate. To three candidates for POY are Boston for SC,Clark for Iowa, Lee for Kansas State.
The question is, why isn’t she a candidate. This girl’s numbers compare favorably with anyone in the country. She is really impressive!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The question is, why isn’t she a candidate. This girl’s numbers compare favorably with anyone in the country. She is really impressive!
She is very impressive. I'm not saying it is fair or right but the reality is she is playing at DePaul. Impressive numbers at DePaul are not going to garner many votes for POY any more than Elena Delle Donne's impressive numbers did with her playing at Delaware.

Reaction Score
I cannot reconcile the argument against Morrow with those for Clark or Lee. Both Clark and Lee's teams, while ranked, are in the 20-25 range, while DePaul sits just outside in the RV group. Surely entrance into the AP Poll is not the qualifier for POY consideration, right?

The last NPOY to come from a non-elite team was Plum in 2017 (although you could make the argument that SC wasn't great the following year when Wilson won, too). The line isn't concrete, but it's difficult to justify the NPOY coming from a squad outside the top 8-12 teams.

For what it's worth, I think Morrow is as good as anyone in the country and should be on an AP All-America team. Right or wrong, a POY crowning of Morrow, Clark, or Lee would be against historical precedent for selection. I just don't see it happening for any of them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I think Morrow is as good as anyone in the country and should be on an AP All-America team. Right or wrong, a POY crowning of Morrow, Clark, or Lee would be against historical precedent for selection. I just don't see it happening for any of them.
For Morrow and Lee I would agree with you but not for Clark. Clark was AA and probably the second best player in the country last year. It took UCONN ( a FF) team to knock Iowa out of the NCAA tournament. With the reining POY (Paige) out it would not be unprecedented for the 2nd best player in the country to step up and win the award. It is not likely , Boston will most likely be POY with Clark finishing 2nd again.

Reaction Score
For Morrow and Lee I would agree with you but not for Clark. Clark was AA and probably the second best player in the country last year. It took UCONN ( a FF) team to knock Iowa out of the NCAA tournament. With the reining POY (Paige) out it would not be unprecedented for the 2nd best player in the country to step up and win the award. It is not likely , Boston will most likely be POY with Clark finishing 2nd again.
Fair point. If there is an exception to the precedent, it would be Clark.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I also think there is an underlying sentiment that Boston not only because she is having a great year on the #1 team should win but that she 'toiled' for multiple years and to have another freshman take it might be tough to swallow in some corners. Add in some emotional sentiment about the heart breaking final missed tip in. Not my sentiment but I can see it as a storyline

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom