DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
One comment on the refs. The game was a last minute arrangement and I am assuming that all the respectable refs were previously assigned and to move them to this game would have involved moving several refs at the last minute. So we ended up with the JV refs from Chicago High School Association.

It's because of the refs that Aneesha was hurt in the second period. Any competent team would have fouled her out in the first period.

I want to know who called time out and why after Charm's winning bucket. There is no need to check the clock in a play on situation.

Reaction Score
Geno should give a thank you to Dawn for cancelling that game it would have gotten ugly. To be struggling against DEPAUL? Definitely not looking good.
name another team that's not ranked, that has five legit scorers starting? When Depaul is on their game they can beat almost anybody......I took that game as one of the few tests UConn will get in the BE this season and it was needed.......

Reaction Score
Morrow was absolutely amazing! I struggle to recall a player so physically dominating the Huskies in the past. We Husky fans need to be prepared to see a lot more dominating efforts like that for the next 4 years once Ayanna Patterson dons a UCONN jersey! Be prepared to hear the opposition claim Patterson is a dirty player-which of course she isn’t and neither is Morrow. They are part of the future of WCBB-bigger, stronger-embrace the future. I guarantee you will love it with Ayanna on our side

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I want to know who called time out and why after Charm's winning bucket. There is no need to check the clock in a play on situation.
That’s a really good question. DePaul was out of timeouts. By my understanding, the refs should have simply let the clock run out after Caroline’s shot. By stopping play they allowed DePaul to set up a play for a last second heave by Morrow that scared the hell out of UConn fans, as it came too close for comfort to the basket.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Azzi needs to play more. She's exactly what this team needs. Great game by lots of players tonight. I hated how it took so long to set up the offense though. They monkeyed around outside way away from the basket and didn't even try to start the offense for 10-15 seconds at a time. Gotta say most of that was Nika. Nika had a good game overall but she didn't run the offense well. This is the best we can expect from Nika. Azzi and Paige are better and no way I'm taking Caroline out..
Nah, most of that was Geno. I think he was trying to slow it down some, he didn't want a track meet. Not sure Fudd and Williams are able to run up and down that much (yet).

It was very frustrating though. Basically waiting for DePaul to set up their defense. Made it that much tougher to run offense.

Reaction Score
During a post game presser, she admitted to trying to hide the fact that she was a little winded, which is understandable because she is still dealing with some of the lingering after effects of the Covid virus. Geno said before the game that the plan was to play her “a couple of minutes.” I saw right through that, and predicted in a post that she would play at least 28 minutes or more.

She played 32. I figured she would because 1. they needed her on the court, 2. You can’t lose a sizeable amount of basketball shape in a week to 10 days. UConn could not have won this game without her and Azzi.

We played with 6 players against St. John’s. Christyn was not projected to play in this game nor was Azzi. Unfortunately Edwards was ineffective in this game, having more turnovers than points. I was very skeptical going into this game with those 6 players against a team averaging 92 points a game.
Actually, with covid you can lose a lot overnight. Not all, but for some, and for some it really lingers. think Asia Durr, out for almost a year, sometimes could not even get out of bed, too weak. I have no info if either ever had Covid, but would not be surprised if Westbrook or Edwards have some lingering fatigue that explains their troubles this year. So, very glad to see CW play so well in her first game back. We needed it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
  • Morrow is the real deal. She plays with incredible savvy, poise and toughness for a freshman. I know recruiting rankings should never be considered gospel. But please tell me how in god’s name Morrow was not even listed among Hoopgurlz top 100 players for 2021?
She was ranked about #50 overall/combined. ASGR had her the highest at #34. Bluestar, Prospect Nation, Prep all had her ranked. Not sure why Hoopgurlz didn't.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That’s a really good question. DePaul was out of timeouts. By my understanding, the refs should have simply let the clock run out after Caroline’s shot. By stopping play they allowed DePaul to set up a play for a last second heave by Morrow that scared the hell out of UConn fans, as it came too close for comfort to the basket.
Doesn't the clock stop upon a made bucket in the last two minutes or something like that? Brain fog ...

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • Whew...............................................
  • This was a really important win for the still shorthanded Huskies on the road against their top BE rival. With just one more OOC game vs a ranked opponent, UConn needs to continue to take care of business in the BE to secure the best seed possible for the Big Dance.
  • Morrow is the real deal. She plays with incredible savvy, poise and toughness for a freshman. I know recruiting rankings should never be considered gospel. But please tell me how in god’s name Morrow was not even listed among Hoopgurlz top 100 players for 2021?
  • Really great to see both Christyn & Azzi back in uniform and on the court tonight as the Huskies get a little healthier and a little deeper. They both came up big tonight. Just one more piece of the puzzle remaining.
  • DePaul leads the nation in scoring at 92 ppg. I was feeling pretty good after the Huskies held the Blue Demons to only 11 pts in the first qtr. Unfortunately, that was followed by a 29 pt 2nd qtr.
  • This was a GUT CHECK GAME for UConn. Caroline!!!!!!!!
This was a game for the UConn team and Geno to know: They are a very good scoring team (with the right combination in the game). Dorka, Fudd, Caroline, Ono have a lot to be proud of. Evina, Nika, Edwards still need some work. Doug Bruno is a much better coach than many may expect. As a very nice guy he sometimes doesn't get the credit he deserves. I like that kid Morrow. She's as tough as nails and knows how to score.
I agree with all the above. A GUT CHECK game it was. But Caroline showed she is as mentally tough as any player in America. Geno was right, give him 6 Carolines and stand back. I'm so pleased with Fudd only her second game, a tight came, and she was shooting like ti was practice time. Good show young lady.

Reaction Score
If CW & Azzi Fudd can keep that up then I hope the coaches can really simplify things for EW and AE so they can regain some confidence. basically, with the pressure off, get them to focus on doing 1 thing
I wasn't so sure, but AZZI made a believer out of me. I think this kids is the REAL DEAL!! CW can be great she can take over a game. I sometimes think she needs to be in the right "mood" as she was in DePaul. Uconn fans have to be pleased with this nights success. As much as Defense is needed, you can't go all the way with out a terrific OFFENSE, and these kids are offensive! (in a nice way)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Before ONO fouled out, she looked at refs and asked something like, what the heck, look at my hair, and you know, she was right. Exactly how do you get hit in the head and your hair get really messed up and no foul?
I fear that the Evina you once knew may be gone. Once a player loses confidence in themselves as evidenced by hesitation syndrome, it is a hard journey back. Perhaps Evina and Edwards can help each other, to re-discover themselves - hope so

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good
  • Williams and Fudd were back... and played well (32 extra points)
  • UCONN shot 59%/40%. some of the best shooting this year (helps when you have people who can make baskets playing) (and in a few weeks we'll get our best shooter back :D)
  • 4 players in double figures scoring (Ducharme, Williams, Fudd and Muhl)
  • Out rebounded DePaul (barely but still)
  • Won a close game. doesn't happen often
  • CFD, clutch.
  • Staying undefeated and beating our top rival in the league
  • Keeping DePaul to 29% 3pt shooting
Bad
  • Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers - 20 (vs 19 assists, anything under 1 ratio isn't good) Gave DePaul 12 more shots than us
  • Edwards, wow. I don't know if she might not be 100% physically?? Otherwise she's way, way in her head. Geno definitely needed to sit her down the 2nd half. Not sure what's up with Westbrook either.
  • Getting abused by a 6-1 FR. We had no answer for Morrow. 30pts / 14 rbs / 3 steals

Reaction Score
I continue to long for the day when Paige, Caroline & Azzi are on the court together for this UConn team. They will be an unstoppable combination.
Id add CW and Dorka to that group. It would appear that if they are hitting on all 6 cylinders (I added ONO) Uconn become more than competitive, the NC game, if not the title becomes a more realistic goal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This was a game for the UConn team and Geno to know: They are a very good scoring team (with the right combination in the game). Dorka, Fudd, Caroline, Ono have a lot to be proud of. Evina, Nika, Edwards still need some work. Doug Bruno is a much better coach than many may expect. As a very nice guy he sometimes doesn't get the credit he deserves. I like that kid Morrow. She's as tough as nails and knows how to score.
I agree with all the above. A GUT CHECK game it was. But Caroline showed she is as mentally tough as any player in America. Geno was right, give him 6 Carolines and stand back. I'm so pleased with Fudd only her second game, a tight came, and she was shooting like ti was practice time. Good show young lady.
Yes, we need to remember (or realize) Doug has coached with Geno (and against him) a lot. They probably talk basketball extensively when they are together. So if anyone know Geno's offense and how to disrupt it, it would be Doug.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Id add CW and Dorka to that group. It would appear that if they are hitting on all 6 cylinders (I added ONO) Uconn become more than competitive, the NC game, if not the title becomes a more realistic goal.
Assuming Paige comes back healthy, the challenge for Geno will be to accelerate the amount of time it takes to get the team operating like a finely tuned machine. Normally, that process takes an entire season. Geno will have maybe a month to get all the pieces working together and executing.

For most coaches that would be impossible. But no coach in basketball is better at getting his team prepared for the Big Dance than Geno.

Reaction Score
The team runs smoother with her in the lineup for whatever reason. I dunno Geno sees it too I guess. He's the hall of fame coach so he must know what he's doing. I liked the lineup and rotation last night for the most part now that we have enough players to have an actual rotation. I think when Paige gets back Dorka or Caroline will come off the bench. There's a month left before the post-season, so it's important to start developing some continuity with the lineups and rotation.
It's no mystery - she does what a point guard is supposed to do which is to advance the ball to the people who can put the ball in the basket, and do so at a high pace. Think Kalid El Amin from the men's team of yesteryear versus Cole from the current team, who, while very talented, tends to keep the ball in his own hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom