DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the meaning was that somehow UConn was going to win this game no matter who played because so many people stepped up tonight including CW- Caroline, Azzi, Dorka, Christyn, even Nika scored. Then again, I usually give people the benefit of the doubt
They would not have won this game without CW. Not sure why such comments are always directed at her, when she grinds it out each game (whether her shots are falling or not). Her offensive (but mostly defensive) production against DePaul would not have been replaced easily. You guys are acting like UCONN won by 25 lol.

Reaction Score
A win is a win is a win... against a good team, on the road. Closer than it should have been? maybe. But still a good win. Azzi looks like she can be a real help... Dorka keeps playing well. CW was great, especially considering she was coming off covid... she didn't jack up threes. Nika was good... Liv, ok... I wish I knew what was going on inside Evina's head. When Paige comes back, we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Reaction Score
0F7E91DC-FAFC-4EDE-BC97-F362A257EC8D.gif

The entertainment value was very good. The ebb and flow of the two teams made it very watchable. As a fan of basketball I enjoyed it but as a UConn fan I could have done without the drama. Kudos to the team especially CW and who made their return a productive and memorable one as well as Caroline for her game high points and the winning shot. The win was badly needed by the team and they answered the call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he was saying the team was so good that EVEN with Christyn's great game they might have been able to win anyway I don't think he meant to criticize Christyn who clearly had a great game.
Why not say without Azzi? Why CW?

Reaction Score
Negative ….struggled against an unranked team and was dominated inside by a 6’1’ freshman. EW and AE have all but disappeared. I don’t understand it.

Positives. They won the final minute of a close game. Very important for this team to come out victorious in a game like this.

One word for Azzi’s shot…...PURE

AZZI, CD, CW and Paige …..I wouldn’t want to have my paycheck dependent upon a strategy to defend them.

On Evina-She is the player that is most affected by the absence of Paige, IMO. She is a great, great 5th option, utility player, but even with Nika running the point, it's just not the same for E. I really think that when Page comes back, the E we know will reappear.

As for ONO-I think she was legitimately surprised by Morrow's physicality, relentlessness, and borderline what I thought was dirty play. I am floored how much the refs let her get away with. She is ridiculous out there.

Reaction Score
After all the high tempo rep for Depaul, they only played 6 players for the most part. Conditioning wasn't an issue.

Reaction Score
Why not say without Azzi? Why CW?
Why do people think the worst? It was pretty clear to me that he was mainly commenting saying that Christyn wasn't expected to play but even if she didn't play we probably would have won the game. I think it was well intended but I don't think we would have won today without Christyn. She clearly made a difference in a 2 point game.

Reaction Score
Morrow is just a real tough/awkward matchup. She's undersized but extremely physical. I still think ONO is great defensively, it's just a two team sport. sometimes you have to give credit to the other team, and its star player. I think ONO will be better next time they play.

I agree with everyone that the complexion of the game kind of changed when Dorka went to the bench but I do think it was because she was in foul trouble. She's one of the better facilitators on the team and makes pretty good decisions. I still wanted her to post more against a smaller Depaul team, and there was one short range jumper she shot where I feel she should've just went all the way but thats nitpicking.

I just love that Caroline has turned into the "I got this" player. She made so many plays in the forth. I even loved the unselfish pass to Azzi for 3 when she went on her run.

I'm happy for Azzi and glad her and CW are back. I thought both pretty much looked like themselves.

I guess the biggest issue was careless turnovers and fouls. I did think Azzi and CD got beat one on one a couple times but thats a credit to the Depaul guards. Their guards are seniors and straight buckets. I could see them being a tough out in the tourney.

There were a lot of 1 big lineups, which is probably why AE only got 8 minutes. I'm not sure if its because of the matchup or the mad science has begun with the minutes distribution. Honestly looking at the boxscore, I actually like the minutes for each player. Maybe you cut Nika's minutes to 20-25. I dont know how Geno is going to find 25-30 for Paige.

Reaction Score
Negative ….struggled against an unranked team and was dominated inside by a 6’1’ freshman. EW and AE have all but disappeared. I don’t understand it.

Positives. They won the final minute of a close game. Very important for this team to come out victorious in a game like this.

One word for Azzi’s shot…...PURE

AZZI, CD, CW and Paige …..I wouldn’t want to have my paycheck dependent upon a strategy to defend them.
Depaul is not any ordinary "unranked" team. Prior to today's game, they lost only to ranked teams and beat one (Kentucky). They were 16-4 coming into today's game and are pretty much a lock for the tournament if they get to 20 plus wins, which they will. Morrow is not your average Freshman; in fact, she will get major votes for FOY. and has more double doubles than any BE player. I do agree the EW and AE are MIA, but have hope they will both snap out of it before seasons end.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts (very)

-When Geno took Dorka out is when DePaul went on their run.
and he kept her out throughout it.

-I thought in that tough 2nd quarter and few other times, Caroline wasn't 100% sure of her role ...should she lead? At the end...Geno told her and she knew.

-Couldn't have won his game without Fudd. She looks pretty comfy and confident.
and, as the world knows, she's a great shooter.

It's becoming a team...still a way to go.
I agree… this was the game where we became a team. If we go far in the tournament, this will be the game where we showed that we’re capable of that. Lots of work to do, but this game was a turning point!

Reaction Score
Anyone see the exchange between E and Held at the end?
I was wondering the same thing; it was very quick as the camera went to the huddle before handshake line. It could have just been a tired "good game", but neither one of them looked too happy and I thought Evina threw out her arm a little bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom