DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wonder why she chose to finish there and not at ND?
She left after her junior year disgruntled with the program. I don’t know if she’d be welcome back as she left Muffet and her team hanging. I can understand why she chose not to return to South Bend to get her degree. During an interview in her rookie WNBA season, she said there were a number of things within the program that contributed to her leaving early. She was not a happy camper in the final months and days there. The DePaul campus is only 9.5 miles from her Lincolnwood home, and you know Doug Bruno welcomed her with open arms. He's THAT kind of guy. ;)

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Overall, I don't think CWIll needs to be consistent in terms of being good (she just needs to be "good enough")from 3 if Paige and Evina are consistent. And Paige and Evina overall have been pretty consistent. I guess it depends on what each person defines as consistent.

Paige and Evina have been terrific. That's enough to open things up for CWill. It's not like the elite teams have 5 all-american DPOY's on their team. CWill had shown vs Tenn to still be able to score in a good efficient manner in a tight game vs a good, tall, athletic team even when one of her two counterparts (Paige in this case) couldn't hit a thing.
Yesterday's game should be the blueprint for how CW approaches every game. She is both quick enough and strong enough to take defenders off the dribble and either finish with contact and/or draw fouls. Of course she'll face tougher defenses than she faced yesterday but that is what Geno has been trying to get her to do. She also had at least 2 put-backs off of offensive rebounds. She should continue to shoot 3s to keep defenses honest and because she's capable of shooting a better % than we've seen. In fact, I think she'll shoot better from beyond the arc if she mixes up her game like we saw yesterday.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Yesterday's game should be the blueprint for how CW approaches every game. She is both quick enough and strong enough to take defenders off the dribble and either finish with contact and/or draw fouls. Of course she'll face tougher defenses than she faced yesterday but that is what Geno has been trying to get her to do. She also had at least 2 put-backs off of offensive rebounds. She should continue to shoot 3s to keep defenses honest and because she's capable of shooting a better % than we've seen. In fact, I think she'll shoot better from beyond the arc if she mixes up her game like we saw yesterday.
The problem is that she is going to go the line more under this plan. Suddenly, her foul shot has left her.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My cable company, Spectrum, cut away.
I also watched on Spectrum and it did not cut away here. So maybe the local affiliate?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The problem is that she is going to go the line more under this plan. Suddenly, her foul shot has left her.
Well of course. Better she should shoot 0-whatever on 3s. What was I thinking? Terrible approach yesterday.

SMH.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Well of course. Better she should shoot 0-whatever on 3s. What was I thinking? Terrible approach yesterday.

SMH.
Don't get snippy. Show me where I said she should keep shooting 0 for whatever from three? My point was she has not shot foul shots well recently. I know it hard for you when somebody doesn't totally agree with your posts. Stop shaking your head. It will be ok.

Reaction Score
More important for Liv to play well. And they are linked. If Liv isnt a factor then Boston guards the basket all game and CW has no chance to drive.

Unless you set up Boston for a lot of pick-n-rolls and she winds up
consistent is reliable to hit say 40% from three in against top 5 teams.

I said that I feel great about Paige and starting to feel good about Evina. CW, I just don't know what we will get on offensive and we will probably give up a lot defensively. We need her to shoot it very well also to make up for her poor defense. We need them all to be good.

We don't have one player even close to the talent or presence to Cash, Tamika or Jones and they had three of them. They were physical and tough and this year, we are not. They were consistent in their defense and offense, we are not. You knew what you would get every game and this year, even against lesser talent, we do not. There is no comparison.

We don't have enough low post presence to thrive there so I think we need great shooting to help open the middle up and give room for Liv, AE and PG.

I do hope we put it together as the season goes on. But I think it starts with consistency or reliability in all phases. The way this team is built, I think our best chance is to hit the outside shot at a high and consistent percentage to which will open the middle for Liv who isnt the most physical player.

I haven't had chance to look at stats but you're suggestion 40% of consistent/reliable - I do not believe Meg Walker came close to that vs top 5 teams yet she was 1st team A/A. And thinking how that was - if she wasn't consistent/reliable and was so small as the PF - then you think last year's team had basically no hope? And to further that, if she wasn't consistent/reliable- never mind 1st team A/A - but do you feel she should have even been an A/A?

In terms of Cash, Jones, and Tamika- absolutely UCONN does not have that. It's just that I started my post about UCONN's perimeter players stating that imo they are pretty good as long as they feature Paige and then have Evina take quite a few too. I said that IMO we have a pretty good outside shooting team once we changed how we play and use Paige as the primary weapon and I believe we'll use Evina more to take more 3's rather than rely as much on others. Though CWill if hot she can fire away. What I added about Cash was that we're using definitions of "consistent" -- I'm implying if it weren't for Cash and Co. we' might have called DT "inconsistent" if using some other types of definitions than what I'd use. But if UCONN didn't win if it wasn't for Cash/Jones/Tamika then definitions thrown around here might very well have called DT inconsistent too if not for them.

I am with you and others - I have no idea if this team is a FF team. I have no idea about the SC game coming up. But I'm not so hinged on that 1 big game vs SC coming up though. It's a measuring stick but not "end-all-be-all." After that there are still more games. Additionally, I didn't write off UCONN last year from getting to the FF either despite not doing well at all vs Baylor, SC, and Oregon either. SO I am not going to write this team off either more than likely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but Liv isn't the answer. In last years 3 losses and this years big games, she is overmatched. Boston will push her around. AE needs to start to try to contain her early on, and hope she doesn.t foul out. Just saying
if play SC , better we play zone then man to man

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The thing we (fans) should understand and take note of is we are fans, not coaches. We don't think like a coach, we think like fans. Geno knows what he is doing, and is always thinking ahead. One very important thing that must be mentioned here......We watch the game on TV. There are things that happen that you will see if your in attendance that you won't see on TV.

Also, sometimes players are out of position or not where they are suppose to be, or they make a mental or physical error that results in a turnover or a basket for the opposition. Geno sees that and we don't. HE knows what the offense is suppose to run, we don't. HE knows who is doing what they are suppose to do every minute they are on the floor. All we see is what we see. Something to think about.

The 5 players he has on the floor at any given time are out there at HIS discretion for a reason. While we are emotionally involved with certain players, and want to see them get minutes, he is not. He's not concerned about the optics. He's looking for certain things from certain players given the current situation of that game.

There was a reason Autumn didn't play yesterday and Saylor did. He has plans and expectations for Saylor that he does not for Autumn. Many many times over the years (during the course of a game) Chris Dailey has had to tell or remind Geno of something because he was so focused on game action, he's was not conscious of it. Coaches know who they want in the game at any given time. They know what each one of their players can and can't do. When Geno puts Mir (or any other player) into the game, it's because he needs what she brings and can do at that particular time in the game. He's not thinking.........oh, I need to let Mir get some minutes because she hasn't played yet. :confused:

There was a reason Paige was put back in the game late. It's easy to coach from our living room recliners. It's much different being on the sidelines. As long as Geno continues to coach, we (some of us) will continue to question his decisions and substitutions. We also don't have to answer some of the "clown questions" or redundant questions he is often peppered with after the game, and explain why we did thus and so. Walk a mile in his shoes. It's not as easy or s simple as it looks.
Good point. Good post.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think Liv is MORE than an adequate passer; she catches extremely well too, gr8 hands!
I loved the back-to-back sequence that Liv had with Paige, where Paige hit Liv with a 30-foot hard pass in transition which Liv converted for a layup .. and then, a moment later, Liv, from the hi-post, hit a cutting Paige for another layup.
Liv's catching and passing contribute mightily to ball movement which showed up in the Depaul game where she got a lot of touches. Depaul, then, was arguably our best game of the season because of good ball movement made possible by our bigs getting a lot of touches.
In the Tennessee game, where Liv [and AE] got few touches, our offense was stagnant, a lot of one-on-one, with CW dribbling aimlessly on the perimeter. In lieu of CWs horrid shooting from afar, CW deserves less minutes in favor of a facilitator like NM, who doesn't slow down the offense, like what happened in TN. If Nika can hit her treys, she just might be a better choice at the two-spot.
On the other hand, I think that CW benefitted the most from the improved ball movement in the Depaul game, and had her best game of the season, eh?
Nice to hear someone say some good things about Liv. I think Liv is a good to very good passer. It's hard to do much of anything when you're being triple-teamed. One point re Boston, Liv might be able to beat her down court and Paige drops a 30-foot pass right in her (Liv's) hands.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing we (fans) should understand and take note of is we are fans, not coaches. We don't think like a coach, we think like fans.
@Carnac No attack here and I appreciate you quoting my post and liked what you had to say except for the opening. The use of the word we has you assuming there are no participants on this forum that think like a coach or an official for that matter. While your blanket statement does pertain to a very large percentage of UConn woman's basketball fans it is not factual for all.

There are posters here that do think like a coach, tape games to watch again to see what might have been missed and of course the many that speak simply from the heart. You are right about seeing games on TV as to live but then again uses video to scout the next opponent. I am not going to list them as I would miss some and it would not be fair, but there are several that participate on this forum that see a basketball game as a coach would. Obviously having past coaching experience at some level.

Stay well be well and can't wait until we all can get back to live games!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
@Carnac No attack here and I appreciate you quoting my post and liked what you had to say except for the opening. The use of the word we has you assuming there are no participants on this forum that think like a coach or an official for that matter. While your blanket statement does pertain to a very large percentage of UConn woman's basketball fans it is not factual for all.

There are posters here that do think like a coach, tape games to watch again to see what might have been missed and of course the many that speak simply from the heart. You are right about seeing games on TV as to live but then again uses video to scout the next opponent. I am not going to list them as I would miss some and it would not be fair, but there are several that participate on this forum that see a basketball game as a coach would. Obviously having past coaching experience at some level.

Stay well be well and can't wait until we all can get back to live games!
My apologies. I'll choose my words more carefully in the future, and be sure not to use words or phrases that are all inclusive. I'm aware that we do in fact have members that are/were coaches here. I was thinking about the MAJORITY of Boneyarders who were never coaches at the HS level or above.

Many of us played HS and college basketball, and we're familiar with the game in that respect. The game has changed a lot since then. There was no 3 point line yet, and there were only two referees when I played. I never had a female official work any of my games HS or College, but we're talking 50 years ago. How times have changed.........for the better. Thanks for the heads up. :) I've amended that post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice to hear someone say some good things about Liv. I think Liv is a good to very good passer. It's hard to do much of anything when you're being triple-teamed. One point re Boston, Liv might be able to beat her down court and Paige drops a 30-foot pass right in her (Liv's) hands.
Yes .. that would be nice .. VERY nice!

Reaction Score
Can't argue with the stroke and her skills on offense. In both games against UCONN, and two others I watched this year, her defense is a real liability but not so sure Bruno focuses on D.

Reaction Score
Gus, not to be disagreeable but I have not noticed Liv being double or triple teamed at all until she puts the ball on the floor. It is then as Vic would say “They’re like piranhas on a roast,”
She lowers the ball to where even small guards have an equal opportunity to it. If she would keep the ball in her stratosphere and a player or two collapsed on her she now has a open team mate to pass to or simply go to the hoop and often be fouled while doing so. I like Liv and am waiting for the transformation I've previously predicted but the MO is there. Sadly she is the bait of her traps. :(

Reaction Score
Unless you set up Boston for a lot of pick-n-rolls and she winds up

I haven't had chance to look at stats but you're suggestion 40% of consistent/reliable - I do not believe Meg Walker came close to that vs top 5 teams yet she was 1st team A/A. And thinking how that was - if she wasn't consistent/reliable and was so small as the PF - then you think last year's team had basically no hope? And to further that, if she wasn't consistent/reliable- never mind 1st team A/A - but do you feel she should have even been an A/A?

In terms of Cash, Jones, and Tamika- absolutely UCONN does not have that. It's just that I started my post about UCONN's perimeter players stating that imo they are pretty good as long as they feature Paige and then have Evina take quite a few too. I said that IMO we have a pretty good outside shooting team once we changed how we play and use Paige as the primary weapon and I believe we'll use Evina more to take more 3's rather than rely as much on others. Though CWill if hot she can fire away. What I added about Cash was that we're using definitions of "consistent" -- I'm implying if it weren't for Cash and Co. we' might have called DT "inconsistent" if using some other types of definitions than what I'd use. But if UCONN didn't win if it wasn't for Cash/Jones/Tamika then definitions thrown around here might very well have called DT inconsistent too if not for them.

I am with you and others - I have no idea if this team is a FF team. I have no idea about the SC game coming up. But I'm not so hinged on that 1 big game vs SC coming up though. It's a measuring stick but not "end-all-be-all." After that there are still more games. Additionally, I didn't write off UCONN last year from getting to the FF either despite not doing well at all vs Baylor, SC, and Oregon either. SO I am not going to write this team off either more than likely.
Ok, first I don't really want to get into what the definition of consistency is or else we go on and on and get nowhere. I do have faith that you have a good sense of what I mean by consistency however.

I do think MW was close to 40% (not 100% sure on that but I think she was close). She was not very good or reliable or consistent or anything you want to say against top teams. Now somebody will pull out one isolated game that she did play well, but I remember for the most part, her numbers were down against top teams. As a result, I didn't consider her a first or maybe not even a 2nd team AA, but we are getting way off track with that.

My thoughts last year were roughly the same as this year except I thought MW needed to show up big time against top teams. Sorry for throwing GA at you, but I remember he thought the same as well. Of course, this isn't a revelation. Good players who want to be great have to play great in big games. I don't think MW ever did.

I don't agree with your imaginary situation of DT not being consistent if they didn't have Cash/jones or Tamika. That is all I will say on this because I think it is getting off topic again.

I think we are getting too charged up over the use of the word 'consistent', so I will say PG, EW and CW need to shoot well from 3 (roughly 40% plus) when we get to the tournament and they need to do that every game. The the way this team is built, I think we need good to very good outside shooting to have a fair chance of winning.

I expect that PG will do that, I think EW will do that and I hope CW will do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry to post again but I had a thought about the complaints about the announcers. I had no issues mostly with them. Remember this game was targeted to an audience that had never had a women's backetball game in the network before. More explanation was needed and deserved. I got a bit out of sorts when they missed substitutions or who created the fouls but that was rare this time. The SNY crew speak to the SNY audience which are ardent UConn fans and don't need as much information. I understand that announcers today talk way more than in the good old days but todays TV watchers have many more choices of what to watch, have little patience, and move along quickly if left to their own devices.
I often either don't pay them any mind or I just turn off the audio. I feel like half the time, the are way off on what is going on in the game anyway. But that is just me....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Concerning announcers in general; there are people who talk less, and say more.
Where is Marv Albert when you need him?

“He shoots..........YES!”

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Maybe nerves? On the plus side, may have broken the record for fastest to three 3 pt shots since AEH. ;)
Coached shot put for many years, lots of former putters would be jealous of her form. Loved her enthusiasm, bet Geno was spot on she had to be a bundle of nerves. Glad she got her feet wet, looking forward to more from her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom