DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Ok, first I don't really want to get into what the definition of consistency is or else we go on and on and get nowhere. I do have faith that you have a good sense of what I mean by consistency however.

I do think MW was close to 40% (not 100% sure on that but I think she was close). She was not very good or reliable or consistent or anything you want to say against top teams. Now somebody will pull out one isolated game that she did play well, but I remember for the most part, her numbers were down against top teams. As a result, I didn't consider her a first or maybe not even a 2nd team AA, but we are getting way off track with that.

My thoughts last year were roughly the same as this year except I thought MW needed to show up big time against top teams. Sorry for throwing GA at you, but I remember he thought the same as well. Of course, this isn't a revelation. Good players who want to be great have to play great in big games. I don't think MW ever did.

I don't agree with your imaginary situation of DT not being consistent if they didn't have Cash/jones or Tamika. That is all I will say on this because I think it is getting off topic again.

I think we are getting too charged up over the use of the word 'consistent', so I will say PG, EW and CW need to shoot well from 3 (roughly 40% plus) when we get to the tournament and they need to do that every game. The the way this team is built, I think we need good to very good outside shooting to have a fair chance of winning.

I expect that PG will do that, I think EW will do that and I hope CW will do that.

I don't know what you mean by throwing Geno at me. What did he think?

However overall MWalker was not close. She was 5-21 in the 3 games vs top 5 teams last year. She shot 3-8, 2-9 and 0-4. But I do define her as a consistent 3pt shooter. She shot 45% for the season. For my definition I can't throw all the other games away. In all the years UCONN defended other teams top shooters and if that team played just UCONN (a top 5 team) and that player shot 37% or worse from 3, I can't say she was a good 3pt shooter? As a result I do believe she should have been an A/A. UCONN was 5th and she was the star player.

As far as DT I said in Final Fours. Not overall. She was 0-11 vs ND. She was 3-7 vs ND. I know she didn't knock down 1 3pt shot in the Oklahoma game. Neither did Sue Bird. Though they crushed Oklahoma on the glass. SO she would have had 3 games in which 2 she missed all her 3pt shots. But this isn't important.

Okay I'm done with this - hope we're good? But you first replied to me when I said "we are an outside inside team that can't shoot consistently from the outside....." I didn't agree with that and still don't.

SO as I said in a previous thread way before--- you and I have had completely different pov's on many things and this is another. But I hope we're good? Thanks for the conversation.

Reaction Score
anyone know where i can watch a replay of this game? it's not posted on UConnHuskyGames and I can't access it on Fox Sports. I can find highlights only on Youtube.

Reaction Score
The DePaul game is on the UConnHuskeyGames site but has not yet been linked to the main page. Near the top of the current season page there is a link to spoiler free videos. It is there.

Reaction Score
The Geno comment was me telling you what GA said but, usually I don't like doing that since we can always say that GA said this or that and therefore you must be wrong. It was my way of giving you a pre-emptive apology.

MM might be AA, but IMHO, if you can't play big in big games, then it means nothing. She didn't play big in big games. I was hopeful she would have done that last year as a JR in the tournament that we never had. If she did, then we would be having another conversation.

I just think that once we get to Tournament time of a player's 3rd year, and we expect them to play well, then they need to do that. Otherwise, they aren't as good as they are perceived to be, not matter how many points they put up against soft competition or how many AAs they make. MM could score on most teams but had problems against top teams with bigs.

I discount the 0-11 game for DT as I think GA put too much on her that game. I don't think DT shot well against oklahoma either but she made the shot at the end to foul out Dales. Also, she drew a lot of attention away from other players and the threat of her 3 pt shooting always opened things up. That team had a lot of great players that this team does not so therefore, I think it is imperative that we shoot the ball well from the outside because Liv isn't going to win the game for us.

As far as not being able to shoot from the outside, AM, CW and NM have not shown they can hit it at a 40% rate. So that is what I mean. PB and EW make up for a lot of warts though, but I don't think we can win if the aforementioned players, in particular CW can't hit their outside shots. It doesn't matter against soft competition if we miss shots, but it will matter against top 5 teams. It is also loads easier to hit wide-open shots against soft competition than it will be against top 5 teams. The above players, in particular CW and to a lesser extent AM have not even been able to hit these shots when they are wide open! They are not going to be so wide open against top 5 teams.

I appreciate the debate and we are definitely good!

It's good to have a difference of opinion, otherwise it would be boring!

Reaction Score
We don't win against Tenn without christyn scoring 20 and "dribbling aimlessly on the perimeter."
:rolleyes: Exactly. Too much dribbling and not enough attacking the basket. “Crossovers left and right, but you’re still in the same spot”?? North/South > East/West when it comes to basketball. For some reason, I thought that she was faster than what I’ve seen in 3 seasons. She really doesn’t “blow” pass defenders. Hopefully, she will be able to knock down a better percentage of her shots.

Reaction Score
You say that SC scares you? They should. They easily handled Arkansas (a team that UConn could do absolutely nothing with) by 22 points (104-82). [Box score] They kept Dungee in check, allowing her to score her average of 22 points, while Boston showed up scoring 26 points, grabbing 16 rebounds and blocking six shots. in only 31 minutes. She only needed 31 minutes to get the job done.

Arkansas only scored 8 less points against them than they did against us, but SC was able to feed them a "century" burger......... dry with no condiments, and nothing to wash it down with. :confused: Some folks here suggest that Boston is a "plodder" and is not very mobile. Every time I see them play, she looks OK to me. :eek: This game will tell us EXACTLY were we are going forward and how we match up against the type of elite teams we'll see in the tournament. We know how we fair against unranked and lower top 25 teams.

We want to know how we match up against top 5 teams. ALL of those questions will be answered a week from today. Last year Williams, Dangerfield and Walker showed up for the Baylor game. Just Dangerfield for the Oregon and South Carolina games. I'll be looking to see how many of our starters show up next week.
Anyone watch NC State beat Louisville yesterday? NC State has a center who makes Liv look like a rookie. She hadn't played in a game since January 3 ....because she had contracted ( and recovered 0 Covid...and was already better than Liv. She is stronger and more athletic. Liv has a long way to go before she dominates against anyone good. She has the athletic ability, I think. But she isn't there yet.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anyone watch NC State beat Louisville yesterday? NC State has a center who makes Liv look like a rookie. She hadn't played in a game since January 3 ....because she had contracted ( and recovered 0 Covid...and was already better than Liv. She is stronger and more athletic. Liv has a long way to go before she dominates against anyone good. She has the athletic ability, I think. But she isn't there yet.
Her name is Ellysa Cucane, a 6'5" junior from Summerfield NC. She averages 16.2ppg/7.4 rpg.

PRIOR TO NC STATE:
  • No. 21 nationally in the class of 2018 Prospects Nation rankings and fifth at her position
  • Four-star post player with a scout's grade of 95
  • 2016 HSXtra Girls Basketball Player of the Year
  • Averaged 20.3 points, 12.7 rebounds, 3.2 blocks, 2.7 assists and 2.2 steals per game as a junior at Northern Guilford High School
  • That season, helped lead her team to a 31-1 record en route to winning the North Carolina 3A Championship

Reaction Score
Her name is Ellysa Cucane, a 6'5" junior from Summerfield NC. She averages 16.2ppg/7.4 rpg.

PRIOR TO NC STATE:
  • No. 21 nationally in the class of 2018 Prospects Nation rankings and fifth at her position
  • Four-star post player with a scout's grade of 95
  • 2016 HSXtra Girls Basketball Player of the Year
  • Averaged 20.3 points, 12.7 rebounds, 3.2 blocks, 2.7 assists and 2.2 steals per game as a junior at Northern Guilford High School
  • That season, helped lead her team to a 31-1 record en route to winning the North Carolina 3A Championship

Reaction Score
anyone know where i can watch a replay of this game? it's not posted on UConnHuskyGames and I can't access it on Fox Sports. I can find highlights only on Youtube.
Go to Fox.com. Not the Foxsportsgo.com site.

It's listed under the sports listings

Reaction Score
More athletic than Liv? I doubt it; no one runs the floor better than Liv, eh? a sure lottery pick IMO

Reaction Score
More athletic than Liv? I doubt it; no one runs the floor better than Liv, eh? a sure lottery pick IMO
Actually, I think she does run the floor better than Olivia. I also think Edwards does as well.

Reaction Score
Did the DePaul coach Doug Bruno have a post game presser? I can't find one anywhere.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The DePaul replay is on uconnhuskygames:
Screenshot_20210205-153512_Chrome.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom