DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s nice to struggle to a 23 point win against a good team. Stopping DePaul from up tempo is usually terrible news for DePaul. That Rogers kid played very well. The game kind of played more like a 30 point plus win. Bad foul shooting and bad shooting generally. I don’t believe the long lay offs between games helps at all get into an offensive rhythm.and there is another long lay off to Baylor.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I thought Liv played well but it could have been much better if she recognized double team and kept the ball above her head. Paige making poor decisions,turnovers,and o yea the leading scorer. Poor Anna
I disagree. When you're being triple teamed it's up to your guards and wings not throw the ball in so haphazardly and so often. Most of the time Liv recognized the double and triple teams and tried hard to get the ball back out. The real truth is Liv would have scored well over 20 if her guards and wings had hit open shots and forced DePaul out of their help defense. That's how you beat a team that packs it in.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure I like the thought off turning Paige into A SG- at her best she is a play maker so let her playmake. Nika got away with a chest bump and hack on that last steal of the game. Nika needs to improve drastically to get minutes and quiet as it kept she is also having an 0 for America streak of her own. On a positive note I like the way AE is cutting to the basket with great timing and balance. Also like the way ONO, Evina, Paige and CW kept thier heads in the game when shots were not falling by doing other things like playing good team defense. The team defense has a noticeable weak link which becomes more noticeable when that link is not hitting shots.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not sure I like the thought off turning Paige into A SG- at her best she is a play maker so let her playmake. Nika got away with a chest bump and hack on that last steal of the game. Nika needs to improve drastically to get minutes and quiet as it kept she is also having an 0 for America streak of her own. On a positive note I like the way AE is cutting to the basket with great timing and balance. Also like the way ONO, Evina, Paige and CW kept thier heads in the game when shots were not falling by doing other things like playing good team defense. The team defense has a noticeable weak link which becomes more noticeable when that link is not hitting shots.
I noted games before as well that Geno's pressure on Paige to shoot more has pressured her to double think. She'll work it out.

JordyG

Reaction Score
For all the praise that Geno gave Aubrey at the start of the summer, she has not shown much. Where is that person who thinks Aubrey is going to get 20/10 this year even if she does not start?
I think Mir had more minutes than AG tonight. Yet Mir missed more bunnies tonight than Elmer Fudd.

Reaction Score
Yes..Agree..4 against 5 is not ideal..

Reaction Score
For all the praise that Geno gave Aubrey at the start of the summer, she has not shown much. Where is that person who thinks Aubrey is going to get 20/10 this year even if she does not start?
Back Spasms reported by Geno at the start of the game. Give AG some credit for gutting it out in the minutes she played in the 1st half

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I suppose this was a minor point, but I thought that Mir McLean had good minutes tonight and showed again that she is trying to fit into the team's offense by setting screens and moving without the ball. She may become the 9th rotation player and even move ahead of Nika in the depth chart if she continues to make progress. Her strength and athleticism continue to be very impressive.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • DePaul is UConn’s 1st ranked opponent, while UConn is DePaul’s 4th ranked opponent. As a result, the Blue Demons were not particularly fazed by the Huskies.
  • I have to believe UConn is a better outside shooting team then they’ve demonstrated so far this season. Games like this are going to be a lot tougher than they should be when UConn doesn’t hit open shots.
  • In general, UConn’s defense was good, holding DePaul to 36 points less than their season average.
  • Not the prettiest win. UConn's size advantage was a significant factor, and Paige, Christyn and Evina made just enough plays to push the score to a reasonably comfortable margin.
  • Bring on the Lady Bears, I think. :oops:

EARLY ON, ANA, EVINA AND CW APPEARED TENTATIVE, AFRAID TO SHOOT WHEN OPEN, AS IF THEY WERE GOING TO LET PAIGE AND ONO DELIVER THE GOODS. GRIFFIN IS NOT COMFORTABLE AT 15 FEET.
GREAT DEFENSE. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Isn’t it kinda hard to reach any conclusions about Nika? She’s been injured, she’s a freshman, she’s had very limited time so far. She made a couple of nice passes showing good vision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Poor FT shooting, poor 3 pt shooting, lack of effective movement on offense, and a lot of poor decisions on entry passes by UConn. Paige looked like a freshman tonight, CW has to come up bigger and Anna.... Well, Anna needs our support right now. I thought the best flow the offense had was when Aaliyah and Liv were in there together with Liv at the high post. Geno however didn't see it my way and played them very little together. This was also not Evina's best performance in blue. It is good to know that even though they played poorly on offense they still won by 23. On to the next.
I agree. With Alijah at the low post, Liv had much more freedom of movement.

Reaction Score
We did not score much on transition and we played the game at a slower pace. We worked the ball inside and got 27 points from our bigs. That is our advantage against most of the big East. Most teams look like a JV trying to guard Liv. Our guards will have to shoot better to go deep and to beat better teams. Our foul shooting could be better. CW is turning into our defensive stopper. She works hard all game. I would like to see more of Liv and Aaliyah together. Baylor will be a good test.

Reaction Score
I suppose this was a minor point, but I thought that Mir McLean had good minutes tonight and showed again that she is trying to fit into the team's offense by setting screens and moving without the ball. She may become the 9th rotation player and even move ahead of Nika in the depth chart if she continues to make progress. Her strength and athleticism continue to be very impressive.

But she often finds herself wandering around the court on defense and offense without a clear idea of where she should be.

Reaction Score
Has Anna ever driven into the lane and shot the ball one time in her career? It's almost painful to watch how hesitant she is to shoot the ball inside the arc. She gets in the lane every time, albeit not a lot, but enough to notice and passes. It's like she can't wait Tyler Phommachanh get rid of the ball. I've never seen anything like it.

Our FT shooting is going to bite this team in the you know what against good teams. It's just abysmal-but it makes sense. We can't hit from the outside and we can't hit FT's.

This was tough to watch. No rhythm from either team, no flow, constant whistles, ugly shots.

One more thing, has any UCONN team ever committed as many travelling violations as this one?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mir had a solid game. I don’t think Mir is competing with Nika for minutes because Nika is a guard. There are only 4 scholarship guards on the roster and three of them are starting. Mir is competing with Aubrey Aaliyah and Anna for minutes at the 4 position.

Reaction Score
Where’s the stat guys? If this isn’t the worst shooting team ever then who is?

Reaction Score
Man, I feel bad for Anna. Came in ready for a big step up this season and it's not going well. ☹ She seems to have a tendency to take up residency in her own head.
If she could create a shot off the dribble it would help her game...can't just stand at the 3 pt line especially if her 3 pt shot has been to be kind less than stellar.

Reaction Score
I agree with most posts so far on this thread. I just look forward to when Paige gains the confidence and/or the understanding to be what this team needs her to be in order to get to the next level. There is a reason why Geno keeps getting on her about being tentative and not shooting enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom