DePaul Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • DePaul is UConn’s 1st ranked opponent, while UConn is DePaul’s 4th ranked opponent. As a result, the Blue Demons were not particularly fazed by the Huskies.
  • I have to believe UConn is a better outside shooting team then they’ve demonstrated so far this season. Games like this are going to be a lot tougher than they should be when UConn doesn’t hit open shots.
  • In general, UConn’s defense was good, holding DePaul to 36 points less than their season average.
  • Not the prettiest win. UConn's size advantage was a significant factor, and Paige, Christyn and Evina made just enough plays to push the score to a reasonably comfortable margin.
  • Bring on the Lady Bears, I think. :oops:

Reaction Score
Not a very pretty game tonight. Better second half. Great defense. Lots of nice individual play. ONO did a very fine job. Seems to get better every game. Christin has a lot of gumption and gusto. Shooting could have been better as I predicted 92 points and I was way off. Overall, the Team won, I am happy.

Reaction Score
That was a solid effort against C. Vivian Stringer's Rutgers.

...wait, we were playing DePaul?

Outside shooting will need to improve to do well against teams like Baylor. We're decent inside with certain configurations, but an inside-only game is not the game I'd want them to contest against really good interior opponents.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Poor FT shooting, poor 3 pt shooting, lack of effective movement on offense, and a lot of poor decisions on entry passes by UConn. Paige looked like a freshman tonight, CW has to come up bigger and Anna.... Well, Anna needs our support right now. I thought the best flow the offense had was when Aaliyah and Liv were in there together with Liv at the high post. Geno however didn't see it my way and played them very little together. This was also not Evina's best performance in blue. It is good to know that even though they played poorly on offense they still won by 23. On to the next.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fun factoid... Piath Gabriel has scored more points this season than Nika Muhl.

Anna seems to be back to lacking confidence and her shooting has suffered. Aside from Paige, our 3 point shooting is just not good. Edwards is just a beast. Paige is something special. Westbrook took a step backwards in the scoring department. ONO nice job in the post, but FT's - come on!

DePaul's FT defense is fierce. UCONN played better defense than offense. Geno may be right - worst shooting team in 37 years. Williams 2-7 on 3's - meh, but the rest of her game was quite good IMHO. Mixed bag to end 2020, but a 23 point win over a DePaul team who is pretty good is not copped liver!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Anna seems to be back to lacking confidence and her shooting has suffered. Aside from Paige, our 3 point shooting is just not good. Edwards is just a beast. Paige is something special. Westbrook took a step backwards in the scoring department.

DePaul's FT defense is fierce. UCONN played better defense than offense. Geno may be right - worst shooting team in 37 years. Williams 2-7 on 3's - meh, but the rest of her game was quite good IMHO. Mixed bag to end 2020, but a 23 point win over a DePaul team who is pretty good is not copped liver!!
LOL. Best FT defense I've seen all year. Although Williams played well she needs to step higher against better opposition. Otherwise you're on point.

Reaction Score
Did anybody notice Evina's body language once she went to the bench with 5 minutes left and her look toward Geno later on in a close up of Geno? I think some past Tennessee-era attitude is coming out..reminds me a little of when Megan pouted during a game last season. Even during the last few minutes, the team looked like somebody just died. Come on ladies, get fired up for your team! Some programs canceled their whole seasons, be proud to wear that uniform! Quit and give someone else a chance if you're that unhappy with a full ride worth more than 40k a year

Reaction Score

Anna seems to be back to lacking confidence and her shooting has suffered. Aside from Paige, our 3 point shooting is just not good. Edwards is just a beast. Paige is something special. Westbrook took a step backwards in the scoring department.

Reaction Score
Did anybody notice Evina's body language once she went to the bench with 5 minutes left and her look toward Geno later on in a close up of Geno? I think some past Tennessee-era attitude is coming out..reminds me a little of when Megan pouted during a game last season. Even during the last few minutes, the team looked like somebody just died. Come on ladies, get fired up for your team! Some programs canceled their whole seasons, be proud to wear that uniform! Quit and give someone else a chance if you're that unhappy with a full ride worth more than 40k a year

You are reading things that are not there.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
As was pointed out in the broadcast, Olivia is a lot stronger this year than in the past. Must be working out in the weight room. She grabs a lot of rebounds, and never seems to get the ball stolen from her. She is also patient.

Reaction Score
I thought Liv played well but it could have been much better if she recognized double team and kept the ball above her head. Paige making poor decisions,turnovers,and o yea the leading scorer. Poor Anna

Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand is how hesitant the shooters are in taking wide-open shots. I don't know how many times Evina, Anna and CW passed up wide-open 3-pt shots to pass to Olivia who is being double-teamed. The DePaul kids, hit or miss, are not afraid to take their shots.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was a lot more impressed with DePaul's defense than I expected to be. Neither their reputation nor the record prepared me to observe the tight man-to-man coverage that they maintained for most of the game. It's true that: (a) they foul an awful lot when dealing with greater size; and (b) they don't clear their defensive boards very effectively.

I agree that with Anna being ineffective, the combination of Liv and Aaliyah looked pretty powerful. I would expect to see that a lot against Baylor.

I'm not at all worried about Evina -- either or shot or her body language.

I would like to see a replay (if it exists) of the Louisville - DePaul game. It must have been totally different than this one.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Man, I feel bad for Anna. Came in ready for a big step up this season and it's not going well. ☹ She seems to have a tendency to take up residency in her own head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom