DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
With the luxury of watching it from multiple angles and in slow motion multiple times I think:
  • It was a poorly thought out pass too late into the break
  • It was poorly executed, even without the bump it was possible but unlikely that Paige would have reeled that in.
  • Paige was bumped to knock her to the floor. She would not have fallen without the bump and it technically should have been a foul.
  • The no call was not a horrendous miss-judgment by the officials when you view it in real time. Could have been called either way.

Agree, but the refs did miss the call, and it seemed so in real time, too. Paige was clearly bodied to the floor. The DePaul player came in at an angle to Paige's straight path to the ball and was not making a play on the ball. The angle and the lack of a play on the ball made it a more obvious real-time call, IMO.

I also thought Aaliyah's entanglement with DePaul's Lexi Held at 7:55 in the 4th could/should have resulted in a technical or worse for Aaliyah. Before you start the torchlight and pitchfork parade, picture an opposing player doing to Paige what Aaliyah did to Held. Those kind of arm trapping pull-down plays are high risk for arm injuries and are a point of emphasis in the NBA and WNBA.

Geno and staff were not joking about Aaliyah's physicality. Yikes. She was an active combatant on the next play also. She is going to be be a great one for us, especially if/when she employs a confident mid-range game.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If you take away Ododa and Edwards, UConn was 17-53, 32% from the floor. Yes, DePaul's defense was good, but it wasn't THAT good. UConn had a lot of open jumpers, not only from 3 but from 12-15 feet. They hit very few of them.

It's funny, the offense is flowing so much better than last year, but they're still struggling at times to score.

Reaction Score
The game from DePaul's perspective

Good to see from the other side. Good reminder of our "massive size advantage" over DePaul. Big East for us is sorta like Kramer at the kids' karate school. Ain't gonna be that way at Baylor.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am surprised no mention was made that Crystal Dangerfield was at the UConn game and announced the starting roster. Apparently this has been done with prior UConn players. I think Naphessa did one. Any more info? Any interview material??

Reaction Score
I am surprised no mention was made that Crystal Dangerfield was at the UConn game and announced the starting roster. Apparently this has been done with prior UConn players. I think Naphessa did one. Any more info? Any interview material??

I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere in one of the threads.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your thoughts eebmg.

I watched her pretty close and she looked good to me on defense. She moved well laterally on several occasions. She is a bit savvy as well using the baseline as a defender and her length to make a couple steals and recover when she was initially beaten.

I really didn't see a problem defensively and this team was smaller and quicker than she will normally face playing the 4. I remember a couple steals and a block, but not sure if she got credit for the block-looked like one to me.

She had some nice looks and continues to miss, but not by much. She has to hit shots, no doubt about it. In saying that, anybody not named PB missed from the outside. Horrible shooting night from outside all around except for PB.
Have to agree with your points. Hard to pick on Anna for her offense when the entire team was horrid. While I agree that at times Anna has had trouble on defense, its typically when on picks smaller, quick guard blow by her. Tough decision for Geno since putting Edwards out there will not solve the quick guard problem and putting Audrey in as a starter in games that rely on half court defense will bog the offense down. Opinions vary but while UConn continues to win, would not change the line up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UCONN opened the second half with Paige posting up with her back to the basket in a horns set. The sequence after that she rejected 2 screens that were set for her on the right side of the floor and went left into a second defender and got her shot blocked. Those sets are traditionally NEVER run for the 1 or the 2 in the UCONN offense. There is a great difference between Evina initiating the offense vs Paige initiating it. Evina is doing well but the significant difference is that Evina needs a screen or two to get by that first defender and Paige does not. Paige compromises that first defender with the dribble and gets to the second level defender with a live dribble. In summary Evina cannot create for others like Paige can. I understand Geno dilemma because Paige also happens to be the teams best shooter right now.
Ideally you want you best shooter to be taking the most shots but IMO this is history repeating itself in a negative way. The latter half of last season Geno essentially did the same thing to Crystal when CW was having her crisis of confidence. Crystal was a senior and her game suffered from this change, Paige is a freshman.
Yes, and another observant post.

Geno's issues this year on offense have been manifold. As has been noted by many and alI is that Geno likes to run variations off of a triangle offense. He is especially fond of variations off the pinch post. Last year frankly Meg's poor passing skills limited the pinch posts effectiveness. This year he is beset by with Paige's inexperience in running the triangle, Anna's poor shooting when the ball is reversed to run the triangle on the other side, and inconsistent outside shooting overall. He is also limited by Liv's effectiveness from the right block versus the left block. Liv loves, as we know, to set up on the right block, use her right leg drop to shot the left side lay up, drive right across the lane, or spin right for a fade away. Teams will continue to bring weak side help to prevent all of it. When Geno talks about Liv having patience he means recognizing when and where the help is coming from, dropping that left leg and/or using the up and under, or getting the ball back out to your wings.

He is limited as well by his bench, meaning AG's, Mir's, and Nika poor shooting and inexperience with the triangle. To this point neither AG or Mir have even shown they have anything beyond 5 feet and Nika is, yes, 0 for America. With Aaliyah he has a great option however for either she or Liv to step high or to the pinch post and hit each other on the block, a wing on the dive or Paige or CW in the strong side corner.

With 5:15 in the 3rd for the first time last night Geno played Liv and AE for the first time together. On their first possession together AE did a nice dive cut and Liv found her for an easy 2. On the next offensive possession, and for the first time that night, the offense had a nice flow and pace. They set the triangle right with Liv at the pinch. She found CW on a nice cut inside and CW hit AE on another nice dive cut for 2. Again, good flow and pace. On the third possession Evina is told to set up on the right, AE and Liv set up on both elbows with Liv on the right, they switch elbows and AE dives inside. CW misses the pass and they reset. Liv hits AE on the left block and AE's inexperience doesn't allow her to take her mark inside with her one on one advantage. Now they improvise with great movement. Paige hits Evina in the strong side corner, Liv moves to the left block, and finds CW on the weak side for her first 3 of the night. In the chat I was glowing about how finally this team looked like a UConn team. On their 5th possession together UConn's movement caused a foul on AE in the lane, a tipped ball out of bounds which maintained possession, and a sweet two man game off the left block with Paige and Liv for a 2 point bucket by Paige. This is the best UConn has looked all night. On their next possession AE's inexperience in giving Liv a pass inside caused a lane violation. Now during her entire time on the floor AE's voice is always on and distinctive. On the next possession AE runs through the lane and opens it up for a sweet bounce pass to a wide open Liv for an easy two. On their next possession AE's inexperience throws a pass to Liv that is tipped for a TO and 2 FT's for DePaul. Liv is pulled to the bench and that was the extent of their time together on the floor. That for me was the best UConn looked all night on the offensive end and was their most productive.

Now all of UConn's good stuff is run on variations off the triangle and the pinch post. Frankly in this offense Anna has been ineffective this year mostly in the strong side corner, but also at the top of the triangle or at the pinch post. Paige, instead of swinging the ball to the other side or taking the shot, too often last night chose to force the ball into double and triple help. Folks, Paige is a smart cookie and that will change. But encouraging her to shoot 20 shots a game is the same as telling a shoot first freshman to pass the ball: This is going to take a period of adjustment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I am grading on a curve but Mir above all else is a competitor and is not afraid to mix it up. Except for last game, she is a very good interior finisher. The attempts last night were not easy (just close) and she cuts hard on slip screens. Geno says she is improving but the main issue is that she does not like practice and until she gets that straightened out, she will be relegated to bench minutes
Like I said she is obviously extremely athletic but being a competitor and mixing it up has nothing to do with having a feel for the game; this is not track and field. And there is nothing resembling a realistic sample size large enough to peg her as a good (or bad) finisher. I stand by my football analogy.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • DePaul is UConn’s 1st ranked opponent, while UConn is DePaul’s 4th ranked opponent. As a result, the Blue Demons were not particularly fazed by the Huskies.
  • I have to believe UConn is a better outside shooting team then they’ve demonstrated so far this season. Games like this are going to be a lot tougher than they should be when UConn doesn’t hit open shots.
  • In general, UConn’s defense was good, holding DePaul to 36 points less than their season average.
  • Not the prettiest win. UConn's size advantage was a significant factor, and Paige, Christyn and Evina made just enough plays to push the score to a reasonably comfortable margin.
  • Bring on the Lady Bears, I think. :oops:
It is pretty clear that this team is missing a "go to" three point shooter. We fans got used to Maya, MKL, and Katie Lou ( even Stewie ). Anna can be that but she is streaky and has not found her shot yet. Paige can hit anything from anywhere. And Evina can shoot as well. Williams is also a streak shooter, who can catch lightening. But no one is " automatic" in the context of MKL.

And lets credit the Demons, who played suffocating defense yesterday. Open threes were not easy to come by...but we missed most of those that were.

I think this will be a balanced team, where we score in every imaginable way. And if we can provide a stiff defense, we can win most games. Olivia is becoming unstoppable and Edwards, one day, will be the same. It may take her a couple of seasons.

It was good to see Muhl back on the court. I still wonder what her prime skill sets are. So far, I have seen hustle and a propensity to provide assists. She seems to regard the basket as the "devil," which she should not offend by shooting at it (much as Molly Bent used to do). Did she ever shoot the ball in Croatia? Is she going to be the primary relief, at guard, for Paige?

I also wonder if McClain has a bigger game than her athletic moves under the hoop. Can she shoot? Can she handle the ball and pass well? Truth be told, she would not be a UCONN recruit if she didn't have a ton of ability. So far, however, we have only seen a teaspoon full.

And my grandest hope is to see more of Aubrey. Amazingly athletic and quick. I don't care whether she becomes a proficient and dangerous outside shooter or not ( I would love to see that, but I doubt I shall ), because she can win games from underneath, on breaks, via passing and with defense ( turnovers and the like ). She is a game changer.

We have an immense amount of talent. watching it come together will be a joy.

Reaction Score
  • Griffin - just looks lost out there most of the time. I’m beginning to think she doesn’t feel the game and flow well. I think some players have that and some don’t. She’s more of a one on one type offensive threat right now with no jump shot, which means she too predictable. Hoping she can build her game up as this season goes o
I think Aubrey's back was really giving her problems that why she only played a few minutes. We really need her defense for the Baylor game. I hope she gets better.

Reaction Score
The game was not pretty but a win is a win. I believe Geno will have lots to say to the team that needs improvement. I love Anna but I think she’s lost her confidence that was beginning to shine late last year. Hopefully it will return!
Mir showed she belonged and I believe with more minutes she will develop nicely! Wish we had another game before Baylor.
Makurat is playing herself out of a starting position. When UConn is on offense with Makurat in there, we're playing four on five.

Reaction Score
Makurat is playing herself out of a starting position. When UConn is on offense with Makurat in there, we're playing four on five.
Just rewatched the game and unfortunately with the exception of Paige and ONO, no one excelled. The first three times the player Evina guarded touched the ball, she blew by Evina without effort. Two of the next 3 times this DePaul player touched the ball, she scored 3's. This was followed by Evina missing 5 3 pointers in a row. Hadel as able to get by Paige most times she got the ball one on one. No respect for any shooter on UConn - every time ONO got the ball, the weak side DePaul defender doubled, leaving a UConn player open. In the first half, this was often Evina or Williams. Didn't matter who it was to DePaul. One of the sloppiest games I have seen UConn play. Wish the issue was solely Anna - more than enough mistakes to go around.

Reaction Score
Not a pretty game but not horrible either. It seems like we are still adjusting and finding each others strengths and weaknesses. Offensive side of the ball...whoa! Shooting struggles continue; free throws, mid-range, and 3 point shooting. We got shooters. Just a matter of having that faith in your shot. We are definitely to dependent on Paige. As she goes, we go. That worries me. Defensive side. We look good against teams that lack athleticism and overall basketball skills. DePaul was a decent test. We looked good defensively.

Reaction Score
Do ya al remember Gabby’s freshman year?
My opinion is if Mir continues to work hard in practice she will get more minutes and possibly be 2nd off the bench. I like what I saw in her brief minutes......Time will tell. Wish we had another game before Baylor.

Reaction Score
I’m as frustrated with Anna’s play as everyone else, but I try to remind myself that she’s learning a new position. Last year it took her a while to get the hang of the system, but she did - a lot faster than most freshmen - and then she played really well and her shooting got really good. I sort of expect (hope for?) the same this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom