DePaul Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Can we just work out something where DePaul just leaves the NEWBIE and goes to any low mid-major of its choice. It has been 20 years since they last made the NCAA tournament. They can’t even make the NIT. Last trip there was 2007. Playing in a low mid-major conference would benefit them because they could be competitive. And us because we never have to play them again.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Seems like you have a complaint everyday. And technically that’s two complaints in that post.

Lighten up we are #4 in the country and are doing pretty good with our stud center on the bench.

Dans molding the kids into UConn players. They wil get there.

Stop being a UConn basketball Karen.
I mean it’s DePaul. They lost to Nova by 40. Wasn’t expecting anything less than a blowout and that’s what we did. Was looking at it more of a development game.

I can probably go back and pick out 3 or 4 times an older guy just refused to look Stewart’s way when he was open and probably had a turnover because of it. I found that weird. If we’re expecting to use Singare in real games I have no idea why he wouldnt play regular minutes against a low risk opponent.

Reaction Score
Did you see Singare? He’s not ready .

What more could you have possibly wanted?

You can't get a job without experience. You can't get experience without a job.

Chicken and egg. He will never get be ready if you can't give him minutes up 32 points. If you want him to be a contribute this year, he will need to be force fed some minutes. Hurley probably wants something from him in practice. Don't know what it is.

Reaction Score
I mean it’s DePaul. They lost to Nova by 40. Wasn’t expecting anything less than a blowout and that’s what we did. Was looking at it more of a development game.

I can probably go back and pick out 3 or 4 times an older guy just refused to look Stewart’s way when he was open and probably had a turnover because of it. I found that weird. If we’re expecting to use Singare in real games I have no idea why he wouldnt play regular minutes against a low risk opponent.
We’re not expecting to use Singare in real games..

The team is not refusing to pass Stewart the ball.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I can see what you are saying about Stewart but he played really well for the time he was in. Defensively he was solid and he moved the ball well, making good reads. Honestly even including the early games where he scored more he looked more comfortable just playing UConn ball.

Diarra is now up to 7-22 from three on the season, or about 32%. He is making open threes this year at a really high clip.

Solo up to 29% even after his atrocious start to the season (9/23 in the last seven starting at KU game, 6/29 in first seven).

Samson had an interesting game but he did show a few shots that still remind me offensively of Oso. Defensively though he still gets pushed around some. If these games can open up Samson's offense a bit more then when DC gets back it should be really fun.
Agreed. By his third time in there he was a lot more comfortable than his first couple of runs.

Reaction Score

Maybe it’s just simply those times Stewart just wasn’t in position on the court at those specific times to be a part of the offensive set flow. Our sets are complex and this is just as valid an explanation as your bizarre conspiracy theories…

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I won't humor some of these discussion points but it is obvious Hurley's game plan is to use Karaban at the 5 when Johnson is in foul trouble or needs a breather.

And Hurley managed minutes and lineups to help the team learn how to ay with Karaban at the 5.

It is clear Singare will only get minutes if Johnson amd Karaban are both unable to play.

This is all I will say on this topic and I am glad the team is playing so well us fans can debate 3rd string center minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I won't humor some of these discussion points but it is obvious Hurley's game plan is to use Karaban at the 5 when Hohnson is in foul trouble or needs a breather.

And Hurley managed minutes and lineups to help the team learn how to ay with Karaban at the 5.

It is clear Singare will only get minutes if Johnson amd Karaban are both unable to play.

This is all I will say on this topic and I am glad the team is playing so well us fans can debate 3rd string center minutes.
This board can make one feel depressed about a 30 point win. ‍♂️

Reaction Score
You can't get a job without experience. You can't get experience without a job.

Chicken and egg. He will never get be ready if you can't give him minutes up 32 points. If you want him to be a contribute this year, he will need to be force fed some minutes. Hurley probably wants something from him in practice. Don't know what it is.
He needs to learn to power up and dunk the damn ball.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I was half watching the game, half putting together an entertainment cabinet for my kid while listing to Donnie say “they need to get downhill” about 15 times. Outcome was as expected but the highlight in my mind was the kid winning the 40 inch TV and Donnie saying “that’s gotta be worth, what $100?” lol.

On to Butler…

Reaction Score
New wrinkles on offense. More of a true 5 out which opened up the center of the court and forced them to play zone which run very good offense against with Castle at the free throw line looking to drive or find a shooter. No team will be able to zone us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Maybe it’s just simply those times Stewart just wasn’t in position on the court at those specific times to be a part of the offensive set flow. Our sets are complex and this is just as valid an explanation as your bizarre conspiracy theories…
49:40

We scored here but Stewart’s man wasn’t guarding him. He even cut to the rim but Karaban made a pretty good shot at the rim over the double team.

53:50

Wide open in the corner of the zone. Diarra doesn’t even turn to look his way. Ends up dropping Karaban’s pass after the cut which he should’ve handled but probably had jitters.

1:42:05

Newton drives to the rim, Stewart’s guy helps and he throws it out of bounds to the other side of the court instead.

1:43:10

Doesn’t get the handoff from Samson here which isn’t egregious. But if you want to talk about running sets right Newton and Spencer both run in the same direction and they’re seniors. Ends up as an end of the shot clock heave.

1:52:50

Samson misses him on a super open cut to the rim and Donny calls it out on the broadcast.

You can choose to see it differently but that’s how I saw it and dont know what to make of it. Just hope they do a better job of getting him good looks when he’s on the floor when they’re available going forward. He for sure needs them.

Reaction Score
Diarra is so improved this year.

Karaban came back in a big way.

Castle makes the game look so easy.

Solo looked as confident as I’ve seen so far this year tonight. Don’t even mind the missed layups. Love the fact that he was aggressive. Played like he belonged.
Who would of thought he would score 14 points this year and make 3 3 pointers in the same game. He always plays great D.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm so happy for a player like Diarra who could have easily transferred out for more PT at another school but decided to stay and work on his game.

He brings so much defensive energy and attitude, that you can see other players raise their effort in tandem.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Echoing the sentiments about Solo. Aggressive on offense, locked in on defense. Not sure he’ll ever be a north south dribbler, but would like to see him go up confidently on his layup attempts.

Reaction Score
I have no insider knowledge, so when it comes to PT decisions I can only go by Hurley’s public comments on the three freshmen not named Castle/Ball.

- Re: Singare - I believe Hurley said during the STJ postgame that they almost redshirted him this year. My interpretation: they have absolutely no plans to play him real mins this year, he is a long term project. Even without Donovan, he cannot be expected to give us more than 5-6 mins against real competition and that will ONLY happen if, like during the STJ game, both Karaban and Samson are on the bench with fouls.

- Re: Stewie/Ross - We need to be deeper, but these guys have to be able to run our stuff before they see real time (paraphrased from quotes from DePaul pregame). My interpretation: minutes are there for one or both of these two, but he’s not going to throw someone out there just because we’re down a man. If you can’t run the offense or defense in practice, Dan isn’t going to give you a long leash to mess around during a game. Based on todays PT, Stewie is showing a bit more than Ross.

I have no idea if any of the above kids are frustrated about this… but if they are, the living embodiment of “commit to hurley’s system, improve every day in practice, and your day will come” is currently our starting center and in the midst of a breakout season.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Slow and careless start which wasn’t too shocking considering the holiday week - but after that it looked pretty good. Loved the sequence of Karaban dunk, Diarra 3 (3/3!!), Johnson dunk. After that it was GG.

Reaction Score
Echoing the sentiments about Solo. Aggressive on offense, locked in on defense. Not sure he’ll ever be a north south dribbler, but would like to see him go up confidently on his layup attempts.
Yeah, it’s weird. He’s missed a lot of his easier layup opportunities this year it seems. Not sure if he is expecting more contact than comes, but just needs to focus on hitting the right spot.

Reaction Score
49:40

We scored here but Stewart’s man wasn’t guarding him. He even cut to the rim but Karaban made a pretty good shot at the rim over the double team.

53:50

Wide open in the corner of the zone. Diarra doesn’t even turn to look his way. Ends up dropping Karaban’s pass after the cut which he should’ve handled but probably had jitters.

1:42:05

Newton drives to the rim, Stewart’s guy helps and he throws it out of bounds to the other side of the court instead.

1:43:10

Doesn’t get the handoff from Samson here which isn’t egregious. But if you want to talk about running sets right Newton and Spencer both run in the same direction and they’re seniors. Ends up as an end of the shot clock heave.

1:52:50

Samson misses him on a super open cut to the rim and Donny calls it out on the broadcast.

You can choose to see it differently but that’s how I saw it and dont know what to make of it. Just hope they do a better job of getting him good looks when he’s on the floor when they’re available going forward. He for sure needs them.

Yikes, you cannot possibly be serious. Or this upset/concerned vigilant about this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom