DePaul Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post Game Thread

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think testing out a small ball lineup is fine. But we couldn’t both test that out and get Singare some valuable minutes?

Do we really think he’s not going to be needed against much better teams while Clingan is out?

Reaction Score
No matter what happens during ths stretch without Clingan it's very valuable that the coaches and Samson Johnson are finding out what he can do and watching him develop and create a role for himself. Assuming Clingan can come back and get close to 100% and our other key players remain healthy, this team may be poised to peak near the end of the season. That's good news for us and bad news for the other top dogs with Final Four aspirations.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Can we just work out something where DePaul just leaves the NEWBIE and goes to any low mid-major of its choice. It has been 20 years since they last made the NCAA tournament. They can’t even make the NIT. Last trip there was 2007. Playing in a low mid-major conference would benefit them because they could be competitive. And us because we never have to play them again.
I'd settle for you ceasing to use the word "we."

Face it, you're actually in a position to do something to effect my suggestion, whereas you have no realistic possibility of effecting the changes you want vis-a-vis DePaul.

There is no analysis possible of this game. Moving on.
Translation:
"I have nothing to offer, but thought I'd mention it as the thread's 61st comment.

I'm outta here "

There's always a relative or coach somewhere telling them how badly they're being screwed.
Don't forget to add the fans who add reminders.

After a 10-day layoff, the small ball retooling looks somewhat like a Jay Wright Villanova lineup as the program ascended the ranks without a big, dominant center.

Games at Hinkle and Cintas will be revealing. I'm hopeful that the Georgetown game will present another opportunity to expand options where needs are identified.

Reaction Score
Like it or not, everything has to be taken in context. Yes, it was a nice, easy, blowout. And it wasn't far from what would have expected going into this game. However, this is a very bad DePaul team. It isn't crazy to say we should have won by more. But we were also without Clingan.

All in all, not bad, not great. My biggest concern is our defense. Even with Clingan we weren't great defensively. Good, yes. Very good, maybe. But not great. Our offense has been ahead of our defense.

Reaction Score
From the progress we are seeing with Ball and Diarra as backups to Newton and Castle, likewise with Johnson backing up a healthy DC, it is becoming clear that the remaining depth issue to be addressed is at the wing position. Foul trouble and defensive lapses are the only blemishes of Spencer and Karaban. If DH can get Ross and Stewart to become the reliable backups (stressing defense) at the wing, similar to what we are starting to see with Diarra/Ball, it will take our already strong team to the next level. Any contributions from Singare and Roumoglou would be icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
So you think our 5* freshman PG is going to be 3rd PG in the rotation? No chance. He's starting.
We start multiple point guards/guys that handle the ball. How do we not know this by now?

Also just fyi, Nowell isn’t a 5 star anywhere as of right now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So you think our 5* freshman PG is going to be 3rd PG in the rotation? No chance. He's starting.
I have a,strong suspicion that Nowell will be viewed as one of a handful of our best freshmen PG's ever by March 2025. What I've seen (granted, only highlights) of him reminds me a lot of Kyle Lowry when he first got to Nova except Nowell has about 20lbs of muscle on Lowry from back then.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We start multiple point guards/guys that handle the ball. How do we not know this by now?

We do not start multiple short guards, or play them at the same time. Hurley wants big guards. Ball will be SG, and he's a bit of a combo. Nowell will probably start, with Diarra playing behind him. There's room for a bench guard transfer of course, but not a starting spot.

I also noticed Ross bringing the ball up at the end of the game last night, showing more of a handle than I would expect. A bit Andre Jackson like in that regard.

Reaction Score
We do not start multiple short guards, or play them at the same time. Hurley wants big guards. Ball will be SG, and he's a bit of a combo. Nowell will probably start, with Diarra playing behind him. There's room for a bench guard transfer of course, but not a starting spot.

I also noticed Ross bringing the ball up at the end of the game last night, showing more of a handle than I would expect. A bit Andre Jackson like in that regard.
Who said they had to be short? I’d bet we go into the year with a Grad PG and have solo start next to him. Diarra and Nowell guards off the bench. 15+ mins for both of them is easy with the ability for either to earn more. Obviously this hinges on Diarra even coming back for his last year, who knows.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The "or something" should have been a dead giveaway ... but not on the BY.
^ this.

I'll add a note of appreciation for it being otherwise a well-pitched entry that did its work more to my taste than the laughter emoji, as well as the second recent playing-it-straight admission that it was sarcasm. Hints of a kinder, gentler @BigErnMcCracken ?

Reaction Score
I think testing out a small ball lineup is fine. But we couldn’t both test that out and get Singare some valuable minutes?

Do we really think he’s not going to be needed against much better teams while Clingan is out?
You keep asking the same question.

Reaction Score
I mean it’s DePaul. They lost to Nova by 40. Wasn’t expecting anything less than a blowout and that’s what we did. Was looking at it more of a development game.

I can probably go back and pick out 3 or 4 times an older guy just refused to look Stewart’s way when he was open and probably had a turnover because of it. I found that weird. If we’re expecting to use Singare in real games I have no idea why he wouldnt play regular minutes against a low risk opponent.
When you used the term “refused” to look his way you make it seem like people are purposely phasing him out and don’t want him to get the ball. Maybe you don’t mean it that way but that’s what it sounds like. I don’t think with this teams culture and attitude that is even close to being the case here

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have a,strong suspicion that Nowell will be viewed as one of a handful of our best freshmen PG's ever by March 2025. What I've seen (granted, only highlights) of him reminds me a lot of Kyle Lowry when he first got to Nova except Nowell has about 20lbs of muscle on Lowry from back then.
I don't rule it out, but don't have it in me to be as bold as you. I like what I've seen very much

Reaction Score
Don't want to start another thread for this observation, but a lot of people were worried about the Point Guard position next year. We have stud freshman Nowell coming in, and probably Diarra back. Given the vast improvement Diarra has shown on the offensive end (his defense and ball handling were already terrific) does anybody still have concerns about PG? Hassan has been a real bright spot this season.
Diarra’s ball-handling is not PG level. Not close.

Regardless, he’s improved across the board this year and that matters greatly. Props to him for making himself into a plus player DH can trust when he’s out on the court instead of the “don’t know what he’s going to do” player of last year.

Reaction Score
Concerns, no. But I'd still very much prefer the starting PG next year is coming from the portal and Diarra is in the same energy role off the bench
I get what you're saying but that would be Diarra's third year in this system and I have a hard time believing a transfer would warrant starter minutes over him given his progression curve.

Reaction Score
No, I never said that. You're a UConn fan, so you should be familiar playing multiple PGs at the same time. There are plenty of minutes available at guard, Diarra has spent a ton of time this year as a 2nd PG on the floor

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think that's the thing. He's not just testing it, he's trying to perfect it. I don't see any scenario where there's anywhere close to a 50/50 decision of using Karaban at the 5 as compared to Singare at the 5. Hurley will exhaust all possibilities with Karaban before he starts working on a lineup with Singare.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No, I never said that. You're a UConn fan, so you should be familiar playing multiple PGs at the same time. There are plenty of minutes available at guard, Diarra has spent a ton of time this year as a 2nd PG on the floor
This is not the 90s or 00s. Our offensive system needs bigger guards who can shoot or pass, like Newton and Cam, but not traditional smaller dribble heavy PGs like Bazz/Boat. That was desirable in an ISO system. We certainly don't need two on the floor at once.

I think Diarra only comes back if he plays more. Ball is starting. Nowell is probably starting. We need somebody like Joey C/Alleyne as a SG off the bench. Until Diarra stepped up, I thought we might need a backup PG, but it's not a real need if he comes back.

What this team needs most in the portal next year is a PF.

Reaction Score

Nowell is a four star. But watch his tape. The kid is incredibly dynamic and a bully for his size. Would not be shocked if he started next year depending on his ability to pick up Hurely's offense.

Reaction Score
This is not the 90s or 00s. Our offensive system needs bigger guards who can shoot or pass, like Newton and Cam, but not traditional smaller dribble heavy PGs like Bazz/Boat. That was desirable in an ISO system. We certainly don't need two on the floor at once.

I think Diarra only comes back if he plays more. Ball is starting. Nowell is probably starting. We need somebody like Joey C/Alleyne as a SG off the bench. Until Diarra stepped up, I thought we might need a backup PG, but it's not a real need if he comes back.

What this team needs most in the portal next year is a PF.
Unless Karaban is entering the draft that's one of the last things this team needs. We're set at the 4 with Karaban and Stewart. If we get a starting guard from the portal next year's team goes from a team that winning a game in March would be a nice outcome to a team that has legitimate final four potential again

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Unless Karaban is entering the draft that's one of the last things this team needs. We're set at the 4 with Karaban and Stewart. If we get a starting guard from the portal next year's team goes from a team that winning a game in March would be a nice outcome to a team that has legitimate final four potential again
Stewart needs about 15 pounds to really be a 4. This team has to have a "power" power forward on the roster. These wiry guys are ok, but not when there's nothing else. Even Alex gets abused out there at times.

Reaction Score
Stewart needs about 15 pounds to really be a 4. This team has to have a "power" power forward on the roster. These wiry guys are ok, but not when there's nothing else. Even Alex gets abused out there at times.
It might be a nice luxury, but that type of 4 doesn't really fit our system so it's hard to convince someone like that to come without any path to more than a few spot minutes when a matchup calls for it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom