Depaul Game Postponed! [merged] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Depaul Game Postponed! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe there is a silver lining in this giving the Team members who are injured a time to rest and heal and the remaining players not yet affected a time to rest. Perhaps they will come back stronger than ever, a little rusty, but better.
Not "silver lining," but big benefit very way. In addition to the many leg and ankle injuries, several Huskies seen spending time blowing nose and coughing. This issues likely spread. Extra days will give virus time to die off and muscles to heal. Rest for Geno. Surprising but great news.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee is the game they cancel (most likely due to schedule), this may be a big blow to UConn's chances for a 1-seed. Tennessee would have been a nice out of conference win on their resume. Frankly, I just don't see UCONN beating SC. They would be big underdogs.
Most of the seeding charts I have seen are either in UConn's favor or neutral as long as they are at least a #2 seed. Unlikely for UConn to face SC until finals.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee is the game they cancel (most likely due to schedule), this may be a big blow to UConn's chances for a 1-seed. Tennessee would have been a nice out of conference win on their resume. Frankly, I just don't see UCONN beating SC. They would be big underdogs.
Cancelling UT would not be a big blow. UConn has played the most Quad one teams to date and has many more to come. Just win baby. You’ll be there. Plus, with only two regionals, there’s not a huge difference in a one and a two seed. Some, but not much.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Cancelling UT would not be a big blow. UConn has played the most Quad one teams to date and has many more to come. Just win baby. You’ll be there. Plus, with only two regionals, there’s not a huge difference in a one and a two seed. Some, but not much.
Could not agree more. UConn’s focus should be on getting all of its players back healthy. Postponed games can be rescheduled. Priorities. Let’s not lose our focus on what’s really important here.

Our players health and wellbeing should be prioritized. Right now, UCONN is a Mash Unit. Everyone is hurt/injured. If they have to cancel next week‘s games, so be it. Put/keep our players wellness first.

I couldn’t care less about canceling or postponing games. Let’s give them a chance to get back on equal footing and not have to play short handed again. :mad:

Reaction Score
Could not agree more. UConn’s focus should be on getting all of its players back healthy. Postponed games can be rescheduled. Priorities. Let’s not lose our focus on what’s really important here.

Our players health and wellbeing should be prioritized. Right now, UCONN is a Mash Unit. Everyone is hurt/injured. If they have to cancel next week‘s games, so be it. Put/keep our players wellness first.

I couldn’t care less about canceling or postponing games. Let’s give them a chance to get back on equal footing and not have to play short handed again. :mad:
The team came into the season short-handed and will remain that way until next season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The team came into the season short-handed and will remain that way until next season.
I’m referring to the players like Azzi and Caroline who are TEMPORARILY on the shelf. I was never referring to Paige or Ice.

Reaction Score
Massey currently has Connecticut a 2-point underdog (47% chance of winning) in the February 5th game against South Carolina.

Reaction Score
As the women’s game becomes even more athletic, with more teams going well into the bench for athletic talent, squad depth is increasingly important. The Huskies practice and play with high intensity. Each season out of the blue injuries happen. If you have a tough, busy schedule college players need time to recover. Long term, not this season, Geno needs to add more players to the team. Picking those than may excel and those who will be role players is his challenge.

sun

Reaction Score
As the women’s game becomes even more athletic, with more teams going well into the bench for athletic talent, squad depth is increasingly important. The Huskies practice and play with high intensity. Each season out of the blue injuries happen. If you have a tough, busy schedule college players need time to recover. Long term, not this season, Geno needs to add more players to the team. Picking those than may excel and those who will be role players is his challenge.
Chloe Kitts joined up with South Carolina and played in her 1st game just before X-mas.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Next season, if my calculations are correct and barring any in or out transfers, we will start the season with 6 forwards and seven guards. Is the roster limit still 15?

Reaction Score
It's nice to see a voice of reason...some just don't get the quad wins thing.

Reaction Score
I just watched Tiffany Hayes take out the chairs on the Syracuse bench at the 14:13 mark of the 1st half of the 1/25/12 game. Quentin Hillsman helps her up and pats her on the head. I don't know how to post the sequence.

Reaction Score
who cares about a 1 seed when last season they were a 2 and beat 2 #1's.

Reaction Score
Next season, if my calculations are correct and barring any in or out transfers, we will start the season with 6 forwards and seven guards. Is the roster limit still 15?

Scholarships are limited to 15. But there is no NCAA roster limit. Some teams have rostered as many as 25 players.

Reaction Score
I'm really glad management studied the rule and decided to invoke it instead of forcing players to go out there hurt. Geno is also trying to get better.. if the rule allows for it, use it to take a break, reset, and get some players healthy to go back at it again next week. It's a good strategy however you look at it since the current starters have also logged a lot of minutes recently.

Reaction Score
As the women’s game becomes even more athletic, with more teams going well into the bench for athletic talent, squad depth is increasingly important.
Not arguing. But where did you get this? Where is the data that suggests more teams are going deeper into their benches than prior years? And is it the most successful programs? For example, how many more teams have been more successful than UCONN the past few years that would back up your claim that teams are going deeper using their benches?

And the relevance should be; how many other extremely successful teams as successful as UCONN has been the last few years are going deeper in their benches?

Because if they aren’t as successful as UCONN, then why should UCONN change and adopt a strategy for programs not as successful as UCONN has been?

sun

Reaction Score
Not arguing. But where did you get this? Where is the data that suggests more teams are going deeper into their benches than prior years? And is it the most successful programs? For example, how many more teams have been more successful than UCONN the past few years that would back up your claim that teams are going deeper using their benches?

And the relevance should be; how many other extremely successful teams as successful as UCONN has been the last few years are going deeper in their benches?

Because if they aren’t as successful as UCONN, then why should UCONN change and adopt a strategy for programs not as successful as UCONN has been?
Since you asked, South Carolina had 13 players and added a new 14th player in December, Chloe Kitts.
They immediately worked her into the rotation and she's averaging 13 minutes per game for 5 games.
Everyone else on the roster has played 13 -15 games except for 1 player who has played 11 games.
Scar seems to work nearly everyone into their games including the brand new freshmen player.
BTW, Scar has 6 seniors and 1 grad student among the 14 players on their roster, yet they still found PT for an additional freshman.
That's a roster that has enough extra depth to be able to avoid cancelling games due to a shortage of players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since you asked, South Carolina had 13 players and added a new 14th player in December, Chloe Kitts.
They immediately worked her into the rotation and she's averaging 13 minutes per game for 5 games.
Everyone else on the roster has played 13 -15 games except for 1 player who has played 11 games.
Scar seems to work nearly everyone into their games including the brand new freshmen player.
BTW, Scar has 6 seniors and 1 grad student among the 14 players on their roster, yet they still found PT for an additional freshman.
That's a roster that has enough extra depth to be able to avoid cancelling games due to a shortage of players.

South Carolina at Stanford this year.

SCar played 12 players. Stanford played 11. Overtime game with no “mop up” time for either side. Every minute was contested PT. So freshmen like Betts and Watkins only got like 4 minutes but those were important minutes.

But that doesn’t mean Geno’s strategy is unsound. It’s really just an exceptionally bad run of luck for the most successful coach of all time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford has 8 players that have played in all 16 games, 2 who have played in 15 games, and 2 who have played in 14 games. No one is averaging more than 29 minutes a game. Stanford picked up a walk-on this year to get their roster to 15.

In their championship season, Stanford had 9 players play in at least 30 of their 33 games, all 9 averaging at least 14 minutes a game. They had a roster of 12. A 13th player was hurt all season and Maya Dobson took the season off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has this ever happened at UConn before?

I do like the idea after reading the Courant article with quotes from the AD. It's unfair to expect players coming off injury to play big minutes and it is still tough on "healthy" players to play such large minutes every game.

It's just a shame the team we saw against Texas hasn't hit the floor together since. That Texas game seems so long ago.

Reaction Score
Someone in another thread posted that UConn might have to give up an OOC game to fit in a reschedule of the DePaul game. Geez, there's only 2 left. I would be angry with UConn had to give up the Tenn game, but I would be freaking cuckoo if it was the SCar game. TV (ESPN and FOX) will have something to say about that. We know what money does, it talks.
I'm getting the feeling that my post is misinterpreted (I'm a very sensitive guy :) ) I don't have a problem postponing the DePaul game. It's much better than suiting up a player who cannot play just to say we a have 7. I would rather forfeit than risk a player's health.

The point I was trying to make is that the Tenn and SCar games are very important, and I very much disagree with all the posts that say/imply that cancelling one of these to fit in DePaul is no big deal. Really? Then why the heck did UConn schedule these games in the first place? I understand that we HAVE TO play DePaul, but stepping back and looking at the big picture, the Tenn and SCar games are more important. (No disrespect to DePaul is intended here.)

Another thing. The postponement is UConn's problem and should be rescheduled at DePaul's convenience. If Doug tells Geno the only date they can play is the same date as the SCar game I would expect Geno to drop him from his Christmas list (and I might get banned from all social media).

Reaction Score
Probably covid related also. Lou was obviously sick and Geno has been sick. Aubrey was sick.
If someone on the team tested positive for Covid, that individual must isolate for 5 days and get tested again. It effects the team, travel, practices, etc, (and maybe more importantly the entire athletics department) because the rest of the team was exposed to someone who tested positive. Those team members in turn have to be tested. It’s easy to see the reasons for a postponement.

Reaction Score

There are other ideas beyond Genoa’s. Look for yourself at how many are on other top team rosters. Who’s knocking Geno? Not me? We can exist with other ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom