Depaul Game Postponed! [merged] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Depaul Game Postponed! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou has had a tissue in her hands the last few games. Possibly a cold.

Reaction Score
This means Azzi wasn't going to return Sunday either. Maybe that warmup last week didn't mean quite as much as was presumed.
I think it is more a function that with DePaul travelling within 12 hours they had to make a decision tonight.

As of right now they have six healthy players with three maybes. So call the game before the travel.

Reaction Score
I think ines would have been their only bench player. You need 7 to play with Aaliyah and Ayanna out that means one of ines or amari would have started.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I don’t want to be a broken record, but Maya played in 154 of 154. She missed 1 game in 16 seasons. Hard to believe!
Maya!!
maya moore basketball GIF by WNBA

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think it is more a function that with DePaul travelling within 12 hours they had to make a decision tonight.

As of right now they have six healthy players with three maybes. So call the game before the travel.
In order to postpone the game, wouldn’t the conference need medical proof that we don't have 7 healthy players? So that means there are no "maybes".

Reaction Score
In order to postpone the game, wouldn’t the conference need medical proof that we don't have 7 healthy players? So that means there are no "maybes".
As you say the conference postponed the game. I would expect they were satisfied with documentation they were given. Of course they may do a review at a later date but I don't see an issue.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense. No one could foresee Paige's tearing her ACL in a pick-up game, Azzi getting her knee hyper-extended from an Aaliyah in-game bump, Ice's dislocated patella, Caroline's concussion, or anyone (latest, Aubrey) getting Covid. How do you figure? Other than Covid, how could anyone think UConn/practice/expectations had anything to do with these?

Four ACL injuries (as at ND) would be MUCH more concerning to me.
The four ACL injuries are concerning but women are more likely to tear their ACL and also basketball is a sport that puts a lot of wear on knee joints/ligaments. It is an unusual amount in one year to be sure but it is probable.

On the other hand UConn’s injuries are also probable, I will grant that, but the shear breadth and consistency of them are staggering. It makes one wonder if the players are feeling issues/injuries and quietly trying to play through them, if the training staff isn’t doing enough to treat injuries, and/or of some combination of this any possible unknown factors.

I’m not a doctor and I’m not attempting to diagnose what someone’s medical issues are or aren’t. I don’t know what happens to these players day to day. But I played sports competitively year round, through college, plus have been watching sports forever, and it just makes me feel as if something, somewhere, is off.

ETA: It could also be that UConn is getting bodied too much in games and it is leading to too many bumps and bruises that turn into real injuries.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Something is wrong. I don’t know what, but something is wrong. Yes I know ND had their season of four players out due to ACL injuries. But this constant rotating lineup of injuries the past two years is just extremely unusual and my gut reaction is that something just isn’t right, somewhere, somehow.
Do you get that these have all been contact or illness absences? What’s wrong is that the players are player a sport that involves banging into each other or very hard surfaces. If these were a bunch of muscle pulls, the question might mean something.

Reaction Score
Probably not

Her head appeared to accelerate/decelerate quickly as she dove after the loose ball and was contacted by the floor or the opponent. Hard to see on my phone. It was at 6:50 to go in Q4. I hope she’s okay.

Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn -- The Big East game between No. 5 UConn and DePaul on Sunday at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Connecticut, has been postponed because the Huskies don't have enough healthy players available to suit up, the conference said Friday.

The conference requires schools to suit up seven scholarship players for any game, and injuries have left the Huskies with just six active players, the school said.

The Huskies currently available to play include guards Nika Muhl, Lou Lopez Senechal, Ines Bettencourt and forwards Aubrey Griffin, Dorka Juhasz and Amari DeBerry.

Reaction Score
I thought this sort of thing resulted in a forfeit or does that not exist any more?

Reaction Score
I wonder if Doug Bruno's close relationship with Geno contributed to an early mutual decision to postpone Sunday's game. It saves dePaul from a long needless road trip & it allows UCONN to focus on healing their injured players.
No, after looking at the rules, this is a Big East thing to cancel if you don't have enough qualified players. Had this been a non-conference game there's a chance UConn would have to play with six or forfeit.

Reaction Score
Could be the flu (the regular flu not Covid) that may be spreading like wildfire across the team.

On a somewhat different topic, I'm not a big fan of UConn players playing full year schedules in tournaments over the summer. You have players with different trainers playing different styles at these events. Plus, all the wear and tear.

I'm not sure if this had anything to do with Ice Brady's injury, but a freshman dislocating a knee cap after a rigorous summer event seems very suspicious to me. I don't remember so many knee injuries compared to the last few years.

Reaction Score
I thought this sort of thing resulted in a forfeit or does that not exist any more?
Iirc, if you have injuries or illnesses that cause the problem, there's no penalty. During the first year of the pandemic, the policy was modified to encourage caution. At that time, if covid was the cause of the cancellation, it resulted in a forfeit. But I think that policy was changed the following year, if not sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom