Delle Donne: WNBA Doesn't Get Proper Support | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Delle Donne: WNBA Doesn't Get Proper Support

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
She reminds me of of Bode Miller who always complained skiing didn't get the coverage it deserved between Olympics.

He wasn't terribly bright either.

Reaction Score
The NBA needed Magic, and Bird, the WNBA has Stewie, they need some one to be Magic.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think people just have to accept that women's professional basketball will always be a niche sport. That is fine to me, I think there is room for these kinds of teams and leagues. If the league keeps the current schedule, I think they might do better to have teams where there is an interest in WCBB rather than looking at NBA markets. Play in smaller, cheaper arenas so you can lower ticket prices and have the arenas appear more full.
I am a bit saddened that ESPN doesn't do a better job of promoting WBB - college or pro. Yes they cover WCBB, but there is very little mention in their "mainstream" shows or website. You really have to look for it, which people who are not already fans will not do. I have wondered why they did not produce a weekly women's basketball show when they already have the personnel.
Even the college players could show the WNBA players more respect - when asked about the players they admire or wish to emulate, most will mention an NBA player rather than a WNBA player.
I have my WNBA online subscription and will catch few Sun games again this year.
when poster here compare UConn players to others... its Draymond Green (Tuck), Durant (Z) or Larry Bird (KLS) soooooo

I think ESPN does great with the college team, cause the team get exposure and the school get revenue. WNBA may demand too much and ESPN isn't willing to accept that contract

Reaction Score
Is WBB a sport or a cause?
Nailed it, though I think it is even more apt as applied to the WNBA. The economics remain brutal, and the lack of serious fan support, especially from women, will need to change if networks are going to promote the sport more actively and dedicate more time to game broadcasts. The WNBA, even with its challenges, is very blessed to enjoy any degree of NBA support - players who complain about their lot (and how much better they are treated in certain foreign leagues) would do well to consider their good fortune relative to peers in soccer, softball, hockey etc.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
DefenseBB, post: 2709405 - Her view is altruistic at best and ignorant at worst. The logic to build a grass roots fan base with young fans is nice but no advertisers want to focus efforts on this demographic. Her whine is excellent, but her business knowledge is lacking.
The real question the WNBA has to identify is why is WCBB more popular than pro basketball (Is this true? Where are the numbers? Also there may be one and only one WCBB program is the black. Losing money is what women's basketball does best) and can the differences be overcome. They have been at it 23 years so (So the WNBA is a hobby by the IRS laws?!) it’s really not like they don’t know and for Elena to make comments like she did is bizarre to me. I am on this board as virtually NONE Of my family, friends or collagues care about Women’s basketball. They slightly care about UConn when I talk about how similar they are to the Warriors but even I, as a fanatic, don’t care for the WNBA.

The comment by @crewbear742 on entitlement is apropos for Elena and a few others who want more pay, more tv coverage, more publicity/marketing as if there is a huge market for their sport. (Exactly! Where is the marketing? Well, did market research identify a market? Yep, old men who harken back to the days of pure basketball. Who focuses on this market? The AARP? Sorry Ladies until your league earns more money, you get no more money.) Many players do understand the limitations and are plugging away to make inroads. Adam Silver’s assessment on changing season as a way to make change for revenue is something of a Hail Mary pass. They do work occasionally, however they fail far more times. This is looking eerily like the Women’s Soccer League efforts. Some sports, particularly women’s are just best as College and Olympic viewing and not as professional endeavors. (Yep! You are spot on! If this fails, kiss the WNBA goodbye.)[/QUOTE]

Refrain: Where are all of the women who want equality of gender. Support the WNBA with yours butts in a seat or your eyes on a TV game and not just your flapping lips! If the WNBA wants to attract girls and thus their parents to the WNBA, they, the WNBA, must use target ads on shows these girls watch. Tell them when and where to watch the games. The WNBA (NBA) must make this investment. However, the numbers tell the real story:
Code:
NBA                          WNBA
$5.8M     Avg. Income        $79M
20.4M     Viewers/final G    559K
$2.6B     TV Rev.            $25M
The NBA is a business. The WNBA is the NBA's very own charity or hobby.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
when poster here compare UConn players to others... its Draymond Green (Tuck), Durant (Z) or Larry Bird (KLS) soooooo

You got it! Spot on! You are soooooo right.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Is WBB a sport or a cause?

It is a cause for gender equality. Not a good one, but it is one.

It is a sport among women. Today, men and women want flash bang entertainment. Women's basketball does not have and will not have the flash bang of the men's basketball game. It is a niche market. So niche no one can make money on it ... in America. Do the teams overseas make money without heavy subsidies? I watch overseas games and the crowds are sparse. Where does the money come from?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom