Delle Donne: WNBA Doesn't Get Proper Support | The Boneyard

Delle Donne: WNBA Doesn't Get Proper Support

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Elena Delle Donne joins OTL to talk about the disparity between the WNBA and NBA and what she feels should be done about it.

[LINK]

In other news...................Bleacher Report took it a step further and created an entire movie trailer for their imagined sequel -- "She Got Game."
MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Elena Delle Donne joins OTL to talk about the disparity between the WNBA and NBA and what she feels should be done about it.

[LINK]

In other news....Bleacher Report took it a step further and created an entire movie trailer for their imagined sequel -- "She Got Game."
MEDIA]
She has no understanding of fundamental economics, nor apparently of marketing either.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Her view is altruistic at best and ignorant at worst. The logic to build a grass roots fan base with young fans is nice but no advertisers want to focus efforts on this demographic.

The real question the WNBA has to identify is why is WCBB more popular than pro basketball and can the differences be overcome. They have been at it 23 years so it’s really not like they don’t know and for Elena to make comments like she did is bizarre to me. I am on this board as virtually NONE Of my family, friends or collagues care about Women’s basketball. They slightly care about UConn when I talk about how similar they are to the Warriors but even I, as a fanatic, don’t care for the WNBA.

The comment by @crewbear742 on entitlement is apropos for Elena and a few others who want more pay, more tv coverage, more publicity/marketing as if there is a huge market for their sport. Many players do understand the limitations and are plugging away to make inroads. Adam Silver’s assessment on changing season as a way to make change for revenue is something of a Hail Mary pass. They do work occasionally, however they fail far more times. This is looking eerily like the Women’s Soccer League efforts. Some sports, particularly women’s are just best as College and Olympic viewing and not as professional endeavors.

Reaction Score
If I recall in the beginning of the NBA teams got a first regional pick to gain local interest. That's how Bob Cousey ended up on the Celtics. Some areas would benefit from that kind of selection process. The Sun would often be packed and other teams would likely have interest pick up. I 'm begining to think Elena would never have survived UConn, so its all good that she left.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
While I'm certainly no expert on the finances of the NBA and the WNBA, it seems to me that I recall that within my lifetime (I'm 73), the NBA was a relatively minor league (along with the NFL, believe it or not) in the 1950s as opposed to say MLB which was considered the "national pastime." In my youth, there was a sports newspaper called "The Sporting News" published in St. Louis. I subscribed. It was a primarily baseball paper. The NBA, the NFL and the NHL were included but in a brief insert in the middle of the paper. The NBA had teams in relatively small cities in the east: the Syracuse Nationals, the Fort Wayne Pistons, the Rochester Royals, the Minneapolis Lakers, and the St. Louis Hawks. And it was rare to find fans of the NFL (I grew up in NYC and do not remember anyone of my generation talking about the NFL before the Colts-Giants sudden-death Championship of 1958). It was in the 1960s, when Pete Rozelle became Commissioner of the NFL and got an incredible TV contract with CBS, that the NFL took off (and it helped that by 1962, there were satellites being launched to allow for coast-to-coast broadcasting of games). The point I'm making is that things could conceivably change for the women of the WNBA if the right conditions come about, and if people like Elena Delle Donne don't express their thoughts and ideas on this subject, it may never happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I'm certainly no expert on the finances of the NBA and the WNBA, but it seems to me that I recall that within my lifetime (I'm 73), the NBA was a relatively minor league (along with the NFL, believe it or not) in the 1950s as opposed to say MLB which was considered the "national pastime." In my youth, there was a sports newspaper called "The Sporting News" published in St. Louis. I subscribed. It was a primarily baseball paper. The NBA, the NFL and the NHL were included but in a brief insert in the middle of the paper. The NBA had teams in relatively small cities in the east: the Syracuse Nationals, the Fort Wayne Pistons, the Rochester Royals, the Minneapolis Lakers, and the St. Louis Hawks. And it was rare to find fans of the NFL (I grew up in NYC and do not remember anyone of my generation talking about the NFL before the Colts-Giants sudden-death Championship of 1958. It was in the 1960s, when Pete Rozelle became Commissioner of the NFL and got an incredible TV contract with CBS, that the NFL took off (and it helped that by 1962, there were satellites being launched to allow for coast-to-coast broadcasting of games). The point I'm making is that things could conceivably change for the women of the WNBA if the right conditions come about and if people like Elena Delle Donne don't express their thoughts and ideas on this subject, it may never happen.
I don't remember back that far, but I suspect the NBA and NFL finally hit the bigtime because people liked the product, not because they spent $1 million marketing a feature about one of the star players and their dogs.

Reaction Score
Her ill considered, off the top of her head ideas about what would create interest in the league, coming out of the mouth of a man, would be condemned as neanderthal sexist.

The entitlement is strong with this one.

Have to agree with both here. I always had a soft spot for EDD because of the sister stories even though I really dislike players that transfer sooner rather than later. I feel this is not fair to the school or another player that might have got that scholarship. That and the staff that could have been spending money on someone who wanted to be here.
That said this video releases myself from anything EDD. As great a player as she is this simply comes across as someone who would have benefited from a UConn education.
"Cool factor, silly videos with my dog or my wife jumping around a corner and scaring me". " What I'm eating or what I'm cooking". This is what would promote the WNBA.. ????
Her ability on the court cannot be denied. Her promotional abilities here are that of as crewbear says one that feels entitled or like the Rock has as neanderthal male.
It's sad to say but she does not come across as an educated adult with any perception of the world she lives in or what would attract fans to the woman's game.
The best thing she could do at this point is shut up and play ball. She has game but not a leg to stand on when speaking...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DT being on John Salley's radio/TV show is what helps promote the womens game. Mixing it up with the fellas, trash talking and also speaking about X's and O's.

Most guys only talk about the male coaches, Laimbeer (NBA) or Geno (lets see if he could do that on the guys side) or the cute assistant that coach's at Notre Dame (they don't even know her name)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to agree with both here. I always had a soft spot for EDD because of the sister stories even though I really dislike players that transfer sooner rather than later. I feel this is not fair to the school or another player that might have got that scholarship. That and the staff that could have been spending money on someone who wanted to be here.
That said this video releases myself from anything EDD. As great a player as she is this simply comes across as someone who would have benefited from a UConn education.
"Cool factor, silly videos with my dog or my wife jumping around a corner and scaring me". " What I'm eating or what I'm cooking". This is what would promote the WNBA.. ????
Her ability on the court cannot be denied. Her promotional abilities here are that of as crewbear says one that feels entitled or like the Rock has as neanderthal male.
It's sad to say but she does not come across as an educated adult with any perception of the world she lives in or what would attract fans to the woman's game.
The best thing she could do at this point is shut up and play ball. She has game but not a leg to stand on when speaking...

Have to agree with you and others, the WNBA would be better served if EDD was not the spokeswoman and just play ball for the "W".

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and others are places for the "off the court stuff" ..."cool factor, silly videos"...and so on she speaks of. Wonder if her 50% Instagram followers, "in that age group" actually watch or go to games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
EDD is a great b-ball player, and her relationship with her sister is truly heartwarming, but from the time she first showed up at Storrs until the present day, EDD has alway had something of an ambivalent relationship with basketball.

If she had truly embraced the sport like DT, Maya, Parker and others, she could well be the face of WBB in this country, with the associated ability to help grow the league’s popularity. In stead, EDD has largely assumed a posture of entitlement and occasional indifference when it comes to her chosen profession.

Reaction Score
I did not see her remarks but speaking as a uconn womens season ticket holder I have no interest in watching or following the WNBA. also it is baseball season now and just have total apathy for WNBA. Not trying to be disparaging towards the sport I just have no interest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I remember reading a very sympathetic article a couple years ago about how this undeniably great player is contending with the ravages of Lyme Disease.

At some point the writer noted she didn't follow the regimen for the antibiotics she was prescribed at the time (a proven, effective, regimen that would have cured her) and will have to endure chronic symptoms of the disease forever.

Those mentioning "entitled" may be right, as any college student with the debilitating symptoms attributed to her at the time, should have been focused on doing everything their doctor recommended. It's not rocket science, is proven, and she apparently had better things to do.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just saw the EDD interview & agree with most here that she needs to take a Marketing 101 class. If you want to do the comps with the NBA, the NBA has always been marketed through individual superstars - in terms of reacher a wider, global audience. People forget that until 1980, the NBA was in serious trouble (the Finals were tape-delayed!!) until 2 guys named Magic & Larry joined the league. Then, the NBA marketed them both to the point of no return. Then MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Curry, etc. WNBA needs to find a few "faces" for the league - great athletes, great personalities, etc. & market them with big brands. Tennis did that with Serena & it seems to have worked. There is an interesting intersection in the WNBA with sports, sportwear, fashion & social media that they could tap into with their superstars. The regional/local approach is the wrong way to go about it. That will keep your loyal following, but that's not the WNBA's problem. They need to expand their base quickly, not just keep loyal fans. Identify the superstars & market them a whole lot!!!

Reaction Score
If I recall in the beginning of the NBA teams got a first regional pick to gain local interest. That's how Bob Cousey ended up on the Celtics. Some areas would benefit from that kind of selection process. The Sun would often be packed and other teams would likely have interest pick up. I 'm begining to think Elena would never have survived UConn, so its all good that she left.
Not quite right. Cousy was drafted by the Tri City Blackhawks and then traded to the Chicago Stags. When the Stags franchise folded before playing a game, three of their top players were put in a dispersal draft and the Celtics with the 3rd pick got "stuck" with the Cooz because Auerbach didn't really want him. Thought he was too small and flashy.

Reaction Score
I know there's still a lot of bitterness around about EDD's immature middle of the first night transfer, but a lot of the stuff in here is excessive and a little disappointing to read.

Reaction Score
Based on the comments, I finally went back and watched the video. She thinks like someone who has lived her entire life in a bubble.
She knows nothing of the "real" world and what drives it. "If you build it they will come" was fantasy. If you entertain them, they will come. Unfortunately, not enough people are entertained by team play and the ballet that is WCBB. They would rather see a dipsy-do slam dunk. Hopefully, that will change over time, but it not because of publicity and promotion. I live in the North Carolina triangle with Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest. The fans are aware of WCBB but most don't give a rat's patootie. They care even less about the WNBA. If the UNC women win an NCAA championship, UNC fans will care (for about a year).

You never heard this kind of drivel from Maya, Sue, or D. They would certainly like to grow the sport, but not by unrealistic scenarios.

p.s. I know nothing about NBA players private lives (except the visible scandals). In fact, I know more about WNBA players.

Reaction Score
I dunno.....just watched the video and I guess I came away with a slightly different take. I thought EDD was just expressing her thoughts, as off-target as they were, genuinely and in a fairly lucid manner. She's a great player and she's photogenic so people interview her. Her ideas aren't particularly realistic, but darn few jocks, of any gender, any sport, have a clue about marketing. She took a shot, and whiffed. No biggie for me.

Reaction Score
Whatever... The "stuff in here" is true. She just comes off as a dumb-*ss

I wouldn't say dumb...just unrealistic and unworldly. She has an amazing talent that, unfortunately, never made her learn how things work. She is typical of many of her contemporaries.

Reaction Score
I think people just have to accept that women's professional basketball will always be a niche sport. That is fine to me, I think there is room for these kinds of teams and leagues. If the league keeps the current schedule, I think they might do better to have teams where there is an interest in WCBB rather than looking at NBA markets. Play in smaller, cheaper arenas so you can lower ticket prices and have the arenas appear more full.
I am a bit saddened that ESPN doesn't do a better job of promoting WBB - college or pro. Yes they cover WCBB, but there is very little mention in their "mainstream" shows or website. You really have to look for it, which people who are not already fans will not do. I have wondered why they did not produce a weekly women's basketball show when they already have the personnel.
Even the college players could show the WNBA players more respect - when asked about the players they admire or wish to emulate, most will mention an NBA player rather than a WNBA player.
I have my WNBA online subscription and will catch few Sun games again this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom