Delle Donne For Dolson? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Delle Donne For Dolson?

Reaction Score
Emma and Edd play same position, how does that work? For mystics fans they are clamoring for this trade.THey want a superstar and they think Edd will lead them to a championship.

Reaction Score
It's to bad for Stef,because the last five games of the season she really played up to her potential. I felt all season they never utilized Stef correctly and wanted the guards and Emma to do the scoring. If Stef is traded who is going to set the screens for the guards to get free and shoot. Because the guards on the Mystics cannot create there own shot.

Reaction Score
It's only a two hour drive. Maybe not an everyday drive, but close enough for off days.

She can take the Metro everyday and be home without having to drive anywhere.

Reaction Score
Problem is , EDD has recurring lyme disease. I know several people with it. It ain't going away. She is a great player when she's on the court. But, the nature of the disease is it recurrs without warning and can last several weeks , even months. Very difficult to design a championship team around.
Good point. My first reaction was Dolson isn't nearly enough - Sky should hold out for Emma. But EDD also has back issues in addition to Lyme. Has missed time in at least 2 playoffs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't want to see Stef leave, but I could get very excited about Elena being in D.C.

Reaction Score
It's a good trade. A solid center who is a leader on and off the floor for a Star who isn't much of a leader and does NOT want to be there, so much so that she'll walk on you.

Unfortunately, her past adds into this, so EDD for Steph is a no-brainer for the FO. A Dodge Dart that will get you to work for a Corvette up on blocks.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
What going on with the Sky? Over two years the Sky's top two players are forcing their way off the team? 2015 lose Fowles, 2017 lose EDD?

And Pokey left too.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Good point. My first reaction was Dolson isn't nearly enough - Sky should hold out for Emma. But EDD also has back issues in addition to Lyme. Has missed time in at least 2 playoffs.

Last year EDD played 28 games (missing six due to injury) and had 5.3 win shares (per basketballreference.com). Dolson played 34 games and had 2.2. Even if EDD only plays half the time, she's probably worth as much or more in aggregate than Dolson.

She did have back issues in the '14 playoffs. Since the '14 season, she has had no major back problems and no major Lyme flareups that I can recall.

It's not as if Washington would be getting a lemon and Chicago certainly shouldn't let them value EDD that way.

Honestly, I have no idea what you do with both EDD and Meesseman anyway. They have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. I guess you play one at 3 and one at 4, but I would think your defense would suffer. Who guards a Maya Moore or Angel McCoughtry in that scenario?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's a good trade. A solid center who is a leader on and off the floor for a Star who isn't much of a leader and does NOT want to be there, so much so that she'll walk on you.

EDD got the Sky to finals in her 2nd year when they have never made the playoffs before she arrived. She scored 34 points (defended by McCoughtry, no less), including 17 in the 4th quarter to erase a 17-point 4th quarter deficit in the decider. Then she played in every game of the Eastern Conference Finals against Indiana despite her back being so bad that she lied down on the floor when out of the game rather than sitting on the bench.

I think she has more leadership qualities than she is given credit for.

Reaction Score
EDD got the Sky to finals in her 2nd year when they have never made the playoffs before she arrived. She scored 34 points (defended by McCoughtry, no less), including 17 in the 4th quarter to erase a 17-point 4th quarter deficit in the decider. Then she played in every game of the Eastern Conference Finals against Indiana despite her back being so bad that she lied down on the floor when out of the game rather than sitting on the bench.

I think she has more leadership qualities than she is given credit for.
I think you are describing how she plays, not how she Leads. Nobody in their right mind would argue her abilities ON the court; I am pointing that Dolson is stronger leader OFF the court.

I must say that I don't recall her being a strong leader ON the court. Unquestionably her play is there, but BMS will often run the offense ON the court, which frees up teammates to move more freely and can add a calming influence to a team, almost like having a player/coach on the floor, like DT in 2003 & 2004.

The biggest factor for me is that EDD doesn't want to play in Chicago anymore, and will sit instead of playing. Again, which do you want: the beat-up ol' Dart that will get you to work daily, or the fancy-schmancy Corvette on cinder-blocks in the backyard?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How could trading an average center for a league MVP be a good trade? Gee, I wonder.

#2 pick is nice, but who is really available - Pro Prospects | Prospects Nation

Assuming Plum is gone...I don't know that any of the other players coming out is a sure thing.

I think A. Jones will be the best pro from this class, besides maybe Plum. Problem is, Chicago has Cappie/Sloot so they aren't really in need of a small guard. They need a really good power forward or post player since Fowles/EDD are going to be gone. They could go with Coates or Jones, but better posts are waiting in future classes so I'm not sure why they'd opt for Coates/Jones when they'll likely be able to grab Wilson or Turner next year.

Dolson just isn't the answer at center for a top flight team. She's a solid player but I think she has pretty much peaked in her abilities. Trading EDD for Dolson and either Coates/Jones is a huge downgrade for Chicago. That said, EDD isn't necessarily the ideal person to bring in, as she is constantly injured/sick, so while she is an upgrade as a forward and will make a great combo with Meesseman, I don't see Washington developing into a title contender anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Last year EDD played 28 games (missing six due to injury) and had 5.3 win shares (per basketballreference.com). Dolson played 34 games and had 2.2. Even if EDD only plays half the time, she's probably worth as much or more in aggregate than Dolson.

She did have back issues in the '14 playoffs. Since the '14 season, she has had no major back problems and no major Lyme flareups that I can recall.

It's not as if Washington would be getting a lemon and Chicago certainly shouldn't let them value EDD that way.

Honestly, I have no idea what you do with both EDD and Meesseman anyway. They have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. I guess you play one at 3 and one at 4, but I would think your defense would suffer. Who guards a Maya Moore or Angel McCoughtry in that scenario?

I agree neither can guard a smll forward. I would give them Messeman straight up and keep 2nd round pick. Or wait till next year when Aja Wilson is available and not trade at all.

Reaction Score
Homophobes - grow up and/or stop posting. We are way beyond middle school.

I hate to say it but maybe this is related to why Elena wants to leave Chi-Town. Maybe she got a lot of backlash after she "came out" from the Sky fans who would not accept her as she is so she wanted to be able to be close to her family for support. She can take a subway to the DC rail station and get on a commuter train that stops right in the Delaware University campus every weekday. On weekends she could drive to work to a subway station right on the Beltway and catch the subway to work.

She had a lot of followers on Twitter but maybe they thought she was "straight" (I did). She may have gotten a lot of negative Tweets, e-mails etc.

Just speculating on my part. Personally, I have no issues on how she wants to live her life and I'm still behind her 100%!

Reaction Score
EDD is a special player for sure, and a great pick. My concern is with Stef...

Stef is a fantastic role player, she's not a star like EDD. Stef needs to find a team that utilizes her well. A team like Minnesota.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Problem is , EDD has recurring lyme disease. I know several people with it. It ain't going away. She is a great player when she's on the court. But, the nature of the disease is it recurrs without warning and can last several weeks , even months. Very difficult to design a championship team around.

Latest evidence indicates that recurring lyme disease is more likely to be a new infection rather than a re-ocurrence: Medscape: Medscape Access so that may be less of a consideration for other teams.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but maybe this is related to why Elena wants to leave Chi-Town. Maybe she got a lot of backlash after she "came out" from the Sky fans who would not accept her as she is so she wanted to be able to be close to her family for support.

Just speculating on my part. Personally, I have no issues on how she wants to live her life and I'm still behind her 100%!

Why are you speculating (baselessly, I might add) if you "hate to say it"?

I suppose there are a few bad apples in every group, but I don't think there's any reason at all to believe that they Sky's fanbase is any more homophobic than any other.

Frankly, it doesn't even make sense because for EDD's entire time with Chicago the coach and GM was Pokey Chatman, a lesbian whose orientation was public news based on the scandal at LSU. I don't know how many homophobic fans of a team ran by an out lesbian there could really be.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Chicago Tribune story on this from this afternoon, by the way:

Elena Delle Donne unhappy with Sky, wants out of Chicago, sources say

Delle Donne has become discouraged by the "revolving door" in Chicago, a source requesting anonymity put it, as players and coaches have left the team or were fired. The Sky dismissed Pokey Chatman in late October and saw three assistants leave within the last year, including well-liked former NBA big man Wayne "Tree" Rollins. In 2015, Sylvia Fowles forced the team to trade her to the Minnesota Lynx by sitting out.

Reaction Score
Hmmm...

Delle Donne heading back to US after Lyme Disease flare up

By DOUG FEINBERG AP Basketball Writer

NEW YORK (AP) Elena Delle Donne is returning home from China because of a flare up of Lyme Disease.

Delle Donne went over to China earlier this week to join Shanxi in the Chinese Basketball league for the playoffs.
The Chicago Sky star announced in a news conference Wednesday that she would be coming back to the United States.

[MORE]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom