Delany | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes and lately I get the sense in reading the Penn State boards that there is a feeling that Jim Delaney threw Penn State under the bus over the Sandusky situation. What Sandusky did was horrible, but they believe the punishment that the current football program is taking from the NCAA is excessive. Then Jim Delaney piled on.

I don't think Penn State will go anywhere, but many of the Penn State fans don't have a love affair with the Big Ten. I'm not sure it means all that much though. A good percentage of Florida State fans don't appreciate the ACC, but they aren't going anywhere either.

I don't see the B1G doing anything about Sandusky, but I may be mistaken. I'm sure the B1G had to do something. Regardless, I don't think I see many PSU fans being angry at the B1G over that. But it's true Paterno had second thoughts about the B1G during the first decade.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These are recent and not right when everyone was blindsided. No I haven't taken an official scientific poll. But I live in Richmond and DC is in my territory. I ask the question of every Maryland fan I see. I'm confident that more work is in front of Jim Delaney to get the Maryland faithful to love his conference. I also am confident that he knows this.
Just curious, why would Delaney care one way or the other about how MD fans felt about the move?

Reaction Score
Just curious, why would Delaney care one way or the other about how MD fans felt about the move?

Perception??? If Maryland is not happy and this lawsuit is settled favorably for them, it could have an impact on potential future targets if the B1G makes another move...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The threat from PSU at the start was that PSU football would dominate the conference over traditional powers. So when PSU joined, there were unheard of penalties in key moments of the 4th qtr. For instance against Michigan, a "too much noise" penalty. Absurd.

Translation - Penn State didn't dominate the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Translation - Penn State didn't dominate the Big Ten.

They dominated when they first got in (undefeated in 2004). But during the 1990s, they had the best record in the B1G. They didn't dominate though. No other team but PSU was .750 during that period. 75% isn't exactly domination.

It says a lot that a team could be undefeated in the B1G and OOC (38-14 win against #12 USC) but still not get enough respect to be #1.

Reaction Score
Yes and lately I get the sense in reading the Penn State boards that there is a feeling that Jim Delaney threw Penn State under the bus over the Sandusky situation. What Sandusky did was horrible, but they believe the punishment that the current football program is taking from the NCAA is excessive. Then Jim Delaney piled on.

I don't think Penn State will go anywhere, but many of the Penn State fans don't have a love affair with the Big Ten. I'm not sure it means all that much though. A good percentage of Florida State fans don't appreciate the ACC, but they aren't going anywhere either.
You would have to ask Penn State people to get further insight. All I know is that at least half of them don't like the conference they are in due to how they have been treated and how they perceive they have been treated for 20 years. In 1994 an undefeated Big Ten Champion Penn State football team had to go to the Rose Bowl instead of play for the National Championship because AP voters in the midwest voted Nebraska #1 instead of their conference mate Penn State. Yes it is 20 years ago. But that's not long in the memory of some Penn State fans.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2012/11/a_move_to_the_acc_could_bring.html

Jim Delany wants to use more elbow grease with Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers will be easy, but over half the Maryland fans don't like where they are going. There is work to do in turning that around.

I'm a PSU Alum so I'll try to add a PSU perspective to this discussion. Its not so much that PSU Fans feel that Delany piled on in the wake of Sandusky, although some for sure do, but more that the conference acted hypocritically in handing down similar punishment to other schools.

Since PSU was deemed ineligible for post season play for 4 years, they were to be excluded from sharing in the conference's shared bowl revenue pool. The issue? OSU was also ineligible for post season play following the 2012 Season, however still received their full share. A share larger than usual because of PSU's exclusion. These are the type of slights fixated on by some fans.

Even with what I outlined above in mind, the idea that half of PSU's Fan base wants to leave the B1G is entirely overblown. If you base your assumptions on reading message boards you will be completely of base. These forums attract plenty of zealots and people looking for a platform for their agendas. If you could actually devise a way to poll the entire fan base I think the number of those who would choose leaving would be low. At best 10-15% with the majority being persons who went to school prior to 1991. I'd say it would shake out something like B1G 75%, ACC 15% Independent 5% 5% other

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can read about Penn State.
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/6/22/1523717/penn-state-history-joining-the-big

They have been an outsider since they have been in the Big Ten. Penn State fans were really upset recently about how the Big Ten treated them during the Jerry Sandusky affair. Delaney wants the transition to be smoother with Maryland and Rutgers. It is as simple as that.

I have worked with several Penn State alumni over the years, and I have to say that most of the older ones (over 50) say they regret joining a conference. They wish they could have done an ND thing where they join a conference for everything but football and stayed independent for football.

As to not feeling at home in the Big Ten, they regret not having a real top rival. Michigan has Ohio State and michigan State, OSU has Michigan. Indiana has Purdue and Illinois, but no one has PSU as their top rival. Maybe that is the role Rutgers will fill, but the PSU fans I know always hoped some real rivalries would develop, but they never did. Not to mention the travel for the non revenue sports.

Reaction Score
Whenever you leave your geographic region to go play in somebody else's region, it's tough. Then on top of that those in the other region just view you as a venue to showcase their own teams into your region as well as to enrich themselves. You also have to give up all of your natural rivals to go do this. We're watching WVU do this already. We're going to watch Maryland do it.

In the ACC we had Boston College doing it for 8 years. Now with Syracuse and Pitt added, there are some more familiar faces for BC. One of the reasons I like the idea of UConn for the ACC is further strengthening of the rivalry potential in the Northern part of the ACC. That's what makes the league fun. The New York market stuff is secondary.

WVU has future series with Maryland ongoing, VT and PSU upcoming, and are working on developing more such games. They also have annual games with college football elite programs like Texas and Oklahoma. ACC schools are going to be seeing less and less of one another on the other hand-with schools like VT getting only two FSU home games over something like a decade and not that many more games at all. Other ACC schools will get the same, seeing less and less of each other.

Reaction Score
I have worked with several Penn State alumni over the years, and I have to say that most of the older ones (over 50) say they regret joining a conference. They wish they could have done an ND thing where they join a conference for everything but football and stayed independent for football.

As to not feeling at home in the Big Ten, they regret not having a real top rival. Michigan has Ohio State and michigan State, OSU has Michigan. Indiana has Purdue and Illinois, but no one has PSU as their top rival. Maybe that is the role Rutgers will fill, but the PSU fans I know always hoped some real rivalries would develop, but they never did. Not to mention the travel for the non revenue sports.

I agree that those who are most unhappy with PSU in the B1G are primarily those who went to school prior to joining the conference in 91. That said the days of the independents are over. ND is hanging on, but only because they have NBC willing to give them a TV Contract. Take that away and they join a conference the next day. Scheduling would also be a nightmare beyond September for any team wanting to play more than MAC Schools and Service Academies.

As to PSU not being any team's primary rival in the B1G this is certainly true, however PSU and OSU have a very heated and very real rivalry. They enjoy downplaying it, yet they monitor or boards 24-7 for any perceived slights thrown their way. Many of us hoped to see UNL as our season ending rival, as we have an interesting history with them, however The East West Conference format basically makes it moot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perception??? If Maryland is not happy and this lawsuit is settled favorably for them, it could have an impact on potential future targets if the B1G makes another move...
I suppose it depends on how you define Maryland. I think Pres., and BOT likely count more than the average fan.

Reaction Score
btstimpy...where are you Richmond?

Everywhere I read, and Every Maryland fan I talk to. Over half don't like the move. But all understand the reason behind it.

Just read the comments linked to this Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...1/michael-wilbon-on-maryland-and-the-big-ten/

And read these comments on the ESPN blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/95832/maryland-fans-share-thoughts-on-b1g-move
btstimpy...where are you in Richmond?
These are recent and not right when everyone was blindsided. No I haven't taken an official scientific poll. But I live in Richmond and DC is in my territory. I ask the question of every Maryland fan I see. I'm confident that more work is in front of Jim Delaney to get the Maryland faithful to love his conference. I also am confident that he knows this.

You may very well be in the group that is thrilled. Good for you.

Reaction Score
btstimpy...where are you Richmond?

The Fan.

If you're a UConn alumnus in Richmond, that's cool. I don't see very many. I run into lots of fans of all of the ACC schools with the exception of Boston College. Not many BC fans either. Perhaps New England grads stay in New England?

Out of the Big Ten, we have lots of Penn State. That's about it. A few Ohio State here and there. And then of course WVU fans come out of the woodwork. Most of them didn't even go to WVU. They are just people from West Virginia that are diehard WVU fans. Then there are a lot of SEC fans from the closer states like Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia.

You can probably guess that I frequent sports pubs and bars on Saturdays around town when I don't go to the game in person..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You would have to ask Penn State people to get further insight. All I know is that at least half of them don't like the conference they are in due to how they have been treated and how they perceive they have been treated for 20 years. In 1994 an undefeated Big Ten Champion Penn State football team had to go to the Rose Bowl instead of play for the National Championship because AP voters in the midwest voted Nebraska #1 instead of their conference mate Penn State. Yes it is 20 years ago. But that's not long in the memory of some Penn State fans.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2012/11/a_move_to_the_acc_could_bring.html

Jim Delany wants to use more elbow grease with Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers will be easy, but over half the Maryland fans don't like where they are going. There is work to do in turning that around.

Penn State people are insane. There's a big segment of that fan population that needs to be locked in a rubber stadium if you know what I mean.

Reaction Score
The Fan.

If you're a UConn alumnus in Richmond, that's cool. I don't see very many. I run into lots of fans of all of the ACC schools with the exception of Boston College. Not many BC fans either. Perhaps New England grads stay in New England?

Out of the Big Ten, we have lots of Penn State. That's about it. A few Ohio State here and there. And then of course WVU fans come out of the woodwork. Most of them didn't even go to WVU. They are just people from West Virginia that are diehard WVU fans. Then there are a lot of SEC fans from the closer states like Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia.

You can probably guess that I frequent sports pubs and bars on Saturdays around town when I don't go to the game in person..
If you are in Richmond what do you think of adding VCU and or Wichita state as BB only in lieu of East Carolina and ?.

Reaction Score
If you are in Richmond what do you think of adding VCU and or Wichita state as BB only in lieu of East Carolina and ?.

I imagine you're asking for the AAC and not the ACC. The ACC isn't going to add basketball only schools. Villanova has already asked. Notre Dame is in because of the 5 football games.

I think for the AAC since it is trying to build a football brand, it should stick with only adding schools that focus on football. Regarding VCU, I've been hoping to see them add football for years now. I even expressed this to Norwood Teague directly when I went to a party at his house six years ago when he was the AD for VCU. He was interested in buying the city stadium property vacated by University of Richmond to plan for football at the time. I thought that with Old Dominion adding football VCU should too. They are one of VCU's rivals. But NO it did not happen. Teague is now gone to Minnesota, and VCU is not any closer to adding football. So VCU belongs in a league like the Atlantic 10 or the Big East that doesn't think about football. They put Havoc signs all over town and come out of hiding during basketball season only. It's the opposite of Virginia Tech fans who hide during the winter basketball season and come out of hiding in the fall.

Reaction Score
The Fan.

Far West End...actually went to SCSU...spent a lot of time in Storrs however between girl friend and buddies. Have been a UCONN fan since I was a kid, UCONN flag flies outside for every game...does wonders for my UNC neighbor!

Reaction Score
Penn State people are insane. There's a big segment of that fan population that needs to be locked in a rubber stadium if you know what I mean.
Fans by definition are fanatical but probably not more so than most other FB school's except they have more of them than the average school although many I've heard call PSU fans a "cult" or "cultish". I'm really haven't made up my mind yet but Mich and OSU fan's have forwarned me. My mom's extended family came from NE Pa to North Jersey in the late 30s as a child and many Jerseyians have similar roots. Probably why PSU has such a large NY/NJ metro following.

Reaction Score
Far West End...actually went to SCSU...spent a lot of time in Storrs however between girl friend and buddies. Have been a UCONN fan since I was a kid, UCONN flag flies outside for every game...does wonders for my UNC neighbor![/quote

Another UCONN alum here in Richmond. I live just south of the River. Unfortunately for VCU the new Big East will not accept public universities. I was hoping that the American would kick the tires on adding VCU even though it would be for basketball only. Just want to vent for a moment because I don't post much. I'm not a fan of Aresco. Aresco should have made nice wih the Catholic 7 to hold the old Big East together. If the old Big East could have been kept in tact, they could have added VCU, Memphis, UMASS & Temple or Butler to replace the Syracuse, Pitt, UNL & Rutgers. Granted losing Syracuse, Pitt & UNL is a huge blow, adding VCU, Memphis & UMASS would have been the best options available. And that would have been much more preferable than being in the AAC. I know that football drives the train but Aresco should have attempted to keep football a part of the old Big East. UCONN is in a miserable state of affairs having to be a member of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Another UCONN alum here in Richmond. I live just south of the River. Unfortunately for VCU the new Big East will not accept public universities. I was hoping that the American would kick the tires on adding VCU even though it would be for basketball only. Just want to vent for a moment because I don't post much. I'm not a fan of Aresco. Aresco should have made nice wih the Catholic 7 to hold the old Big East together. If the old Big East could have been kept in tact, they could have added VCU, Memphis, UMASS & Temple or Butler to replace the Syracuse, Pitt, UNL & Rutgers. Granted losing Syracuse, Pitt & UNL is a huge blow, adding VCU, Memphis & UMASS would have been the best options available. And that would have been much more preferable than being in the AAC. I know that football drives the train but Aresco should have attempted to keep football a part of the old Big East. UCONN is in a miserable state of affairs having to be a member of the AAC.

I hear what you are saying. VCU is sort of a sexy option lately with Shaka Smart there and their Final Four run two years ago. But to be honest you might have the ability to accomplish what you are thinking about with VCU by adding Old Dominion instead. It's Norfolk instead of Richmond, but Old Dominion has FBS football now, and it has a long history of competing effectively with VCU in men's basketball just as George Mason has. Old Dominion has now moved into Conference USA. We'll have to see how they do. Jeff Jones recentlty took over the head coaching job at ODU for basketball, and he is rebuilding that program. He used to coach UVA in the 90s when we last made deep runs into the NCAA tournament. I think he'll get ODU going in the right direction for basketball.

Reaction Score
That's a great point about ODU. I remember that last year they would bury other teams in football. I think they scored something like 60+ points against one team. I didn't realize ODU was competitive in basketball. I'll start keeping track of them. I would much prefer UCONN to be in a regional conference until they get into a P5. Also, I guess VCU will remain in the A-10 until they establish a football program. It's difficult not to follow VCU if one lives in Richmond, even if you didn't go to school there.

Reaction Score
I agree that those who are most unhappy with PSU in the B1G are primarily those who went to school prior to joining the conference in 91. That said the days of the independents are over. ND is hanging on, but only because they have NBC willing to give them a TV Contract. Take that away and they join a conference the next day. Scheduling would also be a nightmare beyond September for any team wanting to play more than MAC Schools and Service Academies.

As to PSU not being any team's primary rival in the B1G this is certainly true, however PSU and OSU have a very heated and very real rivalry. They enjoy downplaying it, yet they monitor or boards 24-7 for any perceived slights thrown their way. Many of us hoped to see UNL as our season ending rival, as we have an interesting history with them, however The East West Conference format basically makes it moot.

Ldandy ... An OSU alum here ... I thought PSU was a great addition to the Big Ten and I agree that PSU and OSU have a great rivalry. I have been on this board trying to present more of a Big Ten, rather than OSU, perspective on conference realignment. I think UConn would be a fit for the Big Ten with the eastward expansion of the conference. As a PSU and East Coast guy, what do you think about Big Ten expansion with UConn?

Reaction Score
Ldandy ... An OSU alum here ... I thought PSU was a great addition to the Big Ten and I agree that PSU and OSU have a great rivalry. I have been on this board trying to present more of a Big Ten, rather than OSU, perspective on conference realignment. I think UConn would be a fit for the Big Ten with the eastward expansion of the conference. As a PSU and East Coast guy, what do you think about Big Ten expansion with UConn?

I would be very receptive to adding Uconn to the B1G. IMO they are the most obvious P5 Team not currently in a P5 Conference. In some ways they fit the profile for a B1G Institution better than some of the teams currently in the conference.

Pros:
Flagship state school
Good academics
Furthers eastern exposure
Great basketball
Ice Hockey
Good Olympic Sports

Cons:
Small state
Not AAU
Where do you go for # 16?
Mediocre Football
No wrestling(personal pet peeve)
Addition does nothing to address the perception of the conference being weak in football.

It it were up to me UCONN would eventually get an invite. Their inclusion would further assist the conference in tackling NYC and shift the focus a little more to the east. That said my biggest question/concern is who do you go after for #16? A team like Mizzou makes a lot of sense, but with The SECN on the horizon that seems highly unlikely.

Reaction Score
I would be very receptive to adding Uconn to the B1G. IMO they are the most obvious P5 Team not currently in a P5 Conference. In some ways they fit the profile for a B1G Institution better than some of the teams currently in the conference.

Pros:
Flagship state school
Good academics
Furthers eastern exposure
Great basketball
Ice Hockey
Good Olympic Sports

Cons:
Small state
Not AAU
Where do you go for # 16?
Mediocre Football
No wrestling(personal pet peeve)
Addition does nothing to address the perception of the conference being weak in football.

It it were up to me UCONN would eventually get an invite. Their inclusion would further assist the conference in tackling NYC and shift the focus a little more to the east. That said my biggest question/concern is who do you go after for #16? A team like Mizzou makes a lot of sense, but with The SECN on the horizon that seems highly unlikely.

AAU issue will be addressed soon, as will our "mediocre" football. Our biggest hurdle will be who is #16 (possible partners...Kansas, Mizzou, Georgia Tech, Virginia). Let's see how the Maryland lawsuit turns out....

That said, look for a "black swan" scenario within the next 5 years, which is likely to give UConn more, not less, options.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Admit UCONN as a 15th member today but partial football member (similar to the ND/ACC deal). Instant boost to basketball profile and eastern exposure. Another chance for northeast B1G alums to see their schools play (if they can't get to Rutgers). B1G teams (5-6 per year) would help UCONN football boost its profile with recruiting and, eventually, get to a point that it will be competitive. Then in 2020, everyone can revisit when some of these GORs expire and find another full time partner to get UCONN a full membership (and revenue split).

Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
The Fan.

There's a bunch of UConn guys down here in Williamsburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01