Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I've heard him say that before, "we need to make them feel welcome". What the heck does that mean? They are paying them a zillion $$$, that would make me feel incredibly welcome. Seriously, what does it mean?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They already feel welcome.

Some of the rest of us? Not so much.

Reaction Score
What else can he say? Maryland and Rutgers are fine. We are constantly talking to teams about joining our league. We have been talking to a few ACC schools and we would drop our pants for Texas. I was talking to Susan last week and told her we have a spot open for you when Kansas decides they have had enough of the B12 and you guys are AAU. Hell, our goal is to become the Big 36 someday with teams coast to coast. Excuse me one second, I have to take a call with the University of Bejing.

Reaction Score
Funny but everytime someone says "were happy where we are" two more teams are added. Delany isn't in the habit of showing his hand to the world....these things are done quietly behind the scenes. They're shark's and sorta behave like asassin's!!

Reaction Score
I think it's a signal.

June 2010: Nebraska joins.
October 2011 (just over a year later): "We're not active."
November 2012 (just over a year later): Rutgers, Maryland join.
February 2014 (just over a year later): "We are not active."
March 2015...?

"If we were to be in an active mode, I think we would probably say we're in active mode," he said. "We're monitoring; that's all we're doing. We're not active. We're not in the conversation. ... Everybody else in the country is in the conversation, but we're not."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ten-jim-delany-expansion-plans/1#.UxCakfRdUcQ

Sorry for the typo in the title, should be "Delany".

Asked how he envisioned expanding the Big Ten past 14 schools, he replied: "I can't. We don't have any plans. We are not active."
With Rutgers and Maryland about to join, adding 20 to 25 percent to the "demographic footprint," Delany said, "we will need extra elbow grease to make everyone feel a part of it. We need to work harder to make them feel welcome."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-delany-night-games-spt-0228-20140228,0,3418136.story

Reaction Score
I've heard him say that before, "we need to make them feel welcome". What the heck does that mean? They are paying them a zillion $, that would make me feel incredibly welcome. Seriously, what does it mean?

You know what that means...... They need to make them feel welcome by adding Uconn next year so they have an east coast scheduling partner along with Penn State!! Delany's clearly sending us another message telling us that we're in!!!!!

Reaction Score
I've heard him say that before, "we need to make them feel welcome". What the heck does that mean? They are paying them a zillion $, that would make me feel incredibly welcome. Seriously, what does it mean?

It's simple. After 20 years in the Big Ten, half the Penn State faithfull still don't feel welcome in the Big Ten. Delaney knows this, and he wants to spend extra elbow grease to make Maryland and Rutgers feel welcome and perhaps not repeat the experience that Penn State has had.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So if Delany is monitoring and Warde is monitoring, are they monitoring each other?? Hmmmmm...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's simple. After 20 years in the Big Ten, half the Penn State faithfull still don't feel welcome in the Big Ten. Delaney knows this, and he wants to spend extra elbow grease to make Maryland and Rutgers feel welcome and perhaps not repeat the experience that Penn State has had.

But what does it mean? You said it will happen but don't define what his efforts include nor why pen state doesn't feel welcome. Has the old guard been hostile to them and made decisions that hurt PSU?

Reaction Score
But what does it mean? You said it will happen but don't define what his efforts include nor why pen state doesn't feel welcome. Has the old guard been hostile to them and made decisions that hurt PSU?

You can read about Penn State.
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/6/22/1523717/penn-state-history-joining-the-big

They have been an outsider since they have been in the Big Ten. Penn State fans were really upset recently about how the Big Ten treated them during the Jerry Sandusky affair. Delaney wants the transition to be smoother with Maryland and Rutgers. It is as simple as that.

Reaction Score
So if Delany is monitoring and Warde is monitoring, are they monitoring each other?? Hmmmmm...
Beat me to it. I think Monitoring is the key word in his statement. What say you Conspiracy Kitty?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/6/22/1523717/penn-state-history-joining-the-big

They have been an outsider since they have been in the Big Ten. Penn State fans were really upset recently about how the Big Ten treated them during the Jerry Sandusky affair. Delaney wants the transition to be smoother with Maryland and Rutgers. It is as simple as that.

And what is that he will do and why will it take up so much of his time that he won't be able to consider further expansion?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

So big 10 teams said mean things about penn state from 1990-1993 before they joined the conference. The worst thing I find in that article is that some penn state people say they were treated like a "third wheel" but there isn't one example given as to why that is. I just find it funny that people keep saying how badly penn state, and to some extent Nebraska, was treated but the only example is some big 10 schools acting like mean girls for a short period over 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
So big 10 teams said mean things about penn state from 1990-1993 before they joined the conference. The worst thing I find in that article is that some penn state people say they were treated like a "third wheel" but there isn't one example given as to why that is. I just find it funny that people keep saying how badly penn state, and to some extent Nebraska, was treated but the only example is some big 10 schools acting like mean girls for a short period over 20 years ago.

You would have to ask Penn State people to get further insight. All I know is that at least half of them don't like the conference they are in due to how they have been treated and how they perceive they have been treated for 20 years. In 1994 an undefeated Big Ten Champion Penn State football team had to go to the Rose Bowl instead of play for the National Championship because AP voters in the midwest voted Nebraska #1 instead of their conference mate Penn State. Yes it is 20 years ago. But that's not long in the memory of some Penn State fans.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2012/11/a_move_to_the_acc_could_bring.html

Jim Delany wants to use more elbow grease with Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers will be easy, but over half the Maryland fans don't like where they are going. There is work to do in turning that around.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it's a signal.

March 2015...?

"If we were to be in an active mode, I think we would probably say we're in active mode," he said. "We're monitoring; that's all we're doing. We're not active. We're not in the conversation. ... Everybody else in the country is in the conversation, but we're not."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ten-jim-delany-expansion-plans/1#.UxCakfRdUcQ

It's just evidence that the negotiations occur quickly - which makes sense because the longer they go the more likely they become public. He really isn't lying.

Reaction Score
I think it's a signal.

March 2015...?

What you miss is that in that 2011 timeframe the Big Ten was planning a scheduling alliance with the PAC 12 to avoid any further expansion. Then that fell through and also Notre Dame joined the ACC prompting the Big Ten to change its mind. If you listen to what Jim Delaney is now saying, it will take another outside event to prompt the Big Ten to make any further moves. He doesn't seem to be looking at the moment.

The ACC doesn't seem to be looking at making additional moves either at the moment unfortunately because I would like to see UConn invited.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
UConn's leaders need to put their collective heads together, strategize like crazy and create a totally new paradigm that guarantees athletic relevance and success independent of The B1G, ACC, ESPN/Disney, even the AAC.

The cards are stacked against UConn athletics right now, with quite a bit of bottom-dealing going on as well. Time to find a new table with a clean deck, if at all possible...

Reaction Score
Rutgers will be easy, but over half the Maryland fans don't like where they are going. There is work to do in turning that around.

Curious as to how you quantified that over half of all Maryland don't like the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Curious as to how you quantified that over half of all Maryland don't like the Big Ten.

Everywhere I read, and Every Maryland fan I talk to. Over half don't like the move. But all understand the reason behind it.

Just read the comments linked to this Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...1/michael-wilbon-on-maryland-and-the-big-ten/

And read these comments on the ESPN blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/95832/maryland-fans-share-thoughts-on-b1g-move

These are recent and not right when everyone was blindsided. No I haven't taken an official scientific poll. But I live in Richmond and DC is in my territory. I ask the question of every Maryland fan I see. I'm confident that more work is in front of Jim Delaney to get the Maryland faithful to love his conference. I also am confident that he knows this.

You may very well be in the group that is thrilled. Good for you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If I were a Maryland fan who wasn't responsible for their athletic budget I wouldn't like the move either.

Wisconsin and Nebraska might be prestigious - they may as well be on the dark side of the moon. Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State will be exciting - but so were Clemson and Florida State (they are also way better).

If I'm a Maryland fan I'd much rather see Carolina, Virginia and State than Iowa, Purdue and Minnesota. Oh yeah the ACC can win NCs in football - the Big 10
will wax poetic about the past when they could compete.

That's just the football... If you are a basketball fan forget it. The Big Ten and ACC will be the best two leagues over the next decade - but if you are a Maryland fan the ACC opponents are much more attractive.

In 2014 if you care about the actual games and not Monopoly you always want to play teams south of you - not north of you.

Reaction Score
When you look at Maryland's situation as far as the Big Ten they have hit a goldmine from every aspect.

Instead of having schools like BC, Wake, Duke, UVa, UNC, NC State, etc visiting for football, now they get Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, Penn State, sometimes Nebraska and Wisconsin. Those teams will bring scores more fans than ACC schools ever did and the excitement level will be amped up tremendously for Marylands fans.

Ohio State will always be in the national championship conversation--look how many times they've been in the game or right down to the wire since 2000 as compared to the ACC which has had one good year in nearly two decades.

The BIG 12 and the Big Ten are the two best leagues now in basketball. The ACC is rounding out the number five spot and thats after adding great teams from the Big East conference they destroyed. The basketball situation certainly won't be worse for Maryland - a wash at best and after all football pays the bills. Having programs like Michigan State and Ohio State come in yearly, along with Michigan and Indiana? UMD isn't going to miss a conference of two teams that they left.

Financially of course , its not remotely close. Big Ten by a mile.

Really, the fan interest in the Big Ten is so much greater than the ACC, UMD will be surprised how different their game day experiences will be.

Reaction Score
The threat from PSU at the start was that PSU football would dominate the conference over traditional powers. So when PSU joined, there were unheard of penalties in key moments of the 4th qtr. For instance against Michigan, a "too much noise" penalty. Absurd.

Reaction Score
The threat from PSU at the start was that PSU football would dominate the conference over traditional powers. So when PSU joined, there were unheard of penalties in key moments of the 4th qtr. For instance against Michigan, a "too much noise" penalty. Absurd.

Yes and lately I get the sense in reading the Penn State boards that there is a feeling that Jim Delaney threw Penn State under the bus over the Sandusky situation. What Sandusky did was horrible, but they believe the punishment that the current football program is taking from the NCAA is excessive. Then Jim Delaney piled on.

I don't think Penn State will go anywhere, but many of the Penn State fans don't have a love affair with the Big Ten. I'm not sure it means all that much though. A good percentage of Florida State fans don't appreciate the ACC, but they aren't going anywhere either.

Reaction Score
If I were a Maryland fan who wasn't responsible for their athletic budget I wouldn't like the move either.

Wisconsin and Nebraska might be prestigious - they may as well be on the dark side of the moon. Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State will be exciting - but so were Clemson and Florida State (they are also way better).

If I'm a Maryland fan I'd much rather see Carolina, Virginia and State than Iowa, Purdue and Minnesota. Oh yeah the ACC can win NCs in football - the Big 10
will wax poetic about the past when they could compete.

That's just the football... If you are a basketball fan forget it. The Big Ten and ACC will be the best two leagues over the next decade - but if you are a Maryland fan the ACC opponents are much more attractive.

In 2014 if you care about the actual games and not Monopoly you always want to play teams south of you - not north of you.

Whenever you leave your geographic region to go play in somebody else's region, it's tough. Then on top of that those in the other region just view you as a venue to showcase their own teams into your region as well as to enrich themselves. You also have to give up all of your natural rivals to go do this. We're watching WVU do this already. We're going to watch Maryland do it.

In the ACC we had Boston College doing it for 8 years. Now with Syracuse and Pitt added, there are some more familiar faces for BC. One of the reasons I like the idea of UConn for the ACC is further strengthening of the rivalry potential in the Northern part of the ACC. That's what makes the league fun. The New York market stuff is secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom