Delany: 'We pursue championships' | The Boneyard

Delany: 'We pursue championships'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Q. What is the Big Ten’s current stance on expansion? You are adding Maryland and Rutgers next year. Is anything else imminent on the horizon?
Delany: “We are really happy where we are. We are working full speed on integration with Maryland and Rutgers for 2014. They are obviously chasing championships this year and trying to graduate kids. We’re working hard to build friendships and relationships in the East. I will be spending a lot of time out there.

Reaction Score
Q. What is the Big Ten’s current stance on expansion? You are adding Maryland and Rutgers next year. Is anything else imminent on the horizon?
Delany: “We are really happy where we are. We are working full speed on integration with Maryland and Rutgers for 2014. They are obviously chasing championships this year and trying to graduate kids. We’re working hard to build friendships and relationships in the East. I will be spending a lot of time out there.

To me just sounds like he is making efforts to welcome Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb.

Reaction Score
By mentioning football and basketball, I like to read into this that the next expansion targets they are looking at are basketball schools, because everyone all ready knows football is the main reason for expansion. It's like he's saying "We've done a pretty good job getting football schools (Nebraska) and population center schools (Maryland and Rutgers), now it's time we add some basketball schools."

Kansas has been mentioned a lot. Kevin Harlan and Frank the Tank have been talking about it. 6 months ago or so Bob Kizer (former Indiana player) thought it was a done deal. I think Kansas can't get out of the GOR though. I like to think that means the Big 10 will take us. There just aren't many options if you assume the GOR's are unbreakable.

Reaction Score
“We pursue championships in every sport, including football and basketball. We’ve won 17 national championships overall in the last 15 years. We’re directed at championships."

If "championships overall" in the last 15 years becomes the test, we may be a higher rated conference expansion candidate than UT or ND. I think we will need to hear him continue this theme if he's redefining the B1G's evaluation criteria to justify our future invitation. That said, I haven't checked this board 8 times a day for the past 2-3 years because I'm cynical. Delany's words sound purposely chosen to me. He had the number "17" ready. Somebody looked that up.

Reaction Score
The red text gave me a halfie.

Reaction Score
If you pursue championships then why go after Rutgers Jim?
Yeah going negative makes you look so smart!How about Boise/WV if all you want is wins!They've been watching and developing their relationship(B1G/RU) for years but lets just take UConn cause "you like em" !!Why do you think Pitt/SU were so anxious to jump to the ACC?They saw the writing on the wall and knew what was happening well in advance but lets knock RU for being smart!!.....or ask yourself the same question about "if you like championships" why go get PP?

Reaction Score
Yeah going negative makes you look so smart!How about Boise/WV if all you want is wins!They've been watching and developing their relationship(B1G/RU) for years but lets just take UConn cause "you like em" !!Why do you think Pitt/SU were so anxious to jump to the ACC?They saw the writing on the wall and knew what was happening well in advance but lets knock RU for being smart!!.....or ask yourself the same question about "if you like championships" why go get PP?
Your school is infamous for its inability to win championships. PP has won more conference championships himself than your school's entire AD.

pj

Reaction Score
He might be talking about relationships with cable networks and advertisers and alumni/fans and donors. I hope UConn glues itself to the Rutgers/Maryland/PSU OOC schedules.

Reaction Score
When asked about his current stance on further expansion he didn't say we are done expanding, i'm taking that as a sign that further expansion is indeed being given serious consideration. He could have just said we are done expanding for now, instead he talks about spending a lot of time in the East.

Reaction Score
or he may be talking about building his realtionship with the ACC ?????

Reaction Score
Your school is infamous for its inability to win championships. PP has won more conference championships himself than your school's entire AD.
Then keep him and see where you championships will come from!What a sense of entitlement!!Lotsa luck!SU's boards laugh at the retread hire!It wasnt long ago Wiscky and Oregon were known for perpetual losing too but that won't stop a team trending up and popular!Check out the recruiting at RU so the kids at least are buying and thats all that counts!I can't believe the jealousy and negativity by some of you guys instead of going positive!

Reaction Score
Your inability to grasp a point is truly astonishing.
I get the point I just don't see the need to try to improve your status you constantly need to get negative on teams you allegedly will need to join?It takes allies and friends developed to get in on an oldboy conference!(see ACC)!

Reaction Score
I get the point I just don't see the need to try to improve your status you constantly need to get negative on teams you allegedly will need to join?It takes allies and friends developed to get in on an oldboy conference!(see ACC)!
The whole point of the thread is Delaney referencing winning championships as cr criteria. Its not negative to point out your schools lack of winning tradition. save the allies stuff, our schools were rivals.

Reaction Score
Cause he's a genius!Are you?
I must have REALLY gotten under your skin with my post given that you have now responded TWICE to it. Rutgers is like the new royal baby. The baby was born with a silver spoon up his ass and won the birth lottery. Rutgers is where they are simply because of their location. Uconn has to work for everything they get and I am ok with that. Rutgers doesn't win championships on the field or court they are located in NJ and that counts for a lot obviously. You know my original post in this thread has merit.

pj

Reaction Score
I must have REALLY gotten under your skin with my post given that you have now responded TWICE to it. Rutgers is like the new royal baby. The baby was born with a silver spoon up his ass and won the birth lottery. Rutgers is where they are simply because of their location. Uconn has to work for everything they get and I am ok with that. Rutgers doesn't win championships on the field or court they are located in NJ and that counts for a lot obviously. You know my original post in this thread has merit.

"Location" is a rather misleading description. Yes, they are close to NYC, but the main reason they are in is that they are the flagship university of a state with almost 9 million people, and therefore they have a large (real or potential) alumni and fan base. You wouldn't say Illinois is attractive to the B1G due to location, Champaign-Urbana is in the middle of corn country 2 1/2 hours from Chicago, but it would be in in a flash if they were a free agent.

As Nicky points out, past performance is not a reliable predictor of future performance. UConn risks being frozen out of championships because of its conference situation, and Rutgers might be able to upgrade performance now that it is in the B1G. We shall see.

As he says, let's be friends with those we want as our allies. Some people have a chip on their shoulder and it looks like weakness. Be confident. UConn will end well. We are too valuable to be left out.

Reaction Score
Its obvious you feel the need to strike out at an innocent neighbor school for their hard work in CR to assuage your inadequesies....in that case RU is indeed a winner or you can move the school to NJ ? See you at the RU/UConn FB game..good luck!....Merit?I'm just a fan whether we win or lose its not life or death and one day you'll realize that!

Reaction Score
"Location" is a rather misleading description. Yes, they are close to NYC, but the main reason they are in is that they are the flagship university of a state with almost 9 million people, and therefore they have a large (real or potential) alumni and fan base. You wouldn't say Illinois is attractive to the B1G due to location, Champaign-Urbana is in the middle of corn country 2 1/2 hours from Chicago, but it would be in in a flash if they were a free agent.

As Nicky points out, past performance is not a reliable predictor of future performance. UConn risks being frozen out of championships because of its conference situation, and Rutgers might be able to upgrade performance now that it is in the B1G. We shall see.

As he says, let's be friends with those we want as our allies. Some people have a chip on their shoulder and it looks like weakness. Be confident. UConn will end well. We are too valuable to be left out.
I agree completely and its a waste of valuable time and energy arguing over what really doesn't matter!I don't understand what appears a complex by some except assume their very young ?BCINGYA has been getting baited too and from what I see he's a friendly poster not trolling!All our energy has to be towards making friends and getting into a better place then we could jab about silliness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom