Delany: 'We pursue championships' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Delany: 'We pursue championships'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Then keep him and see where you championships will come from!What a sense of entitlement!!Lotsa luck!SU's boards laugh at the retread hire!It wasnt long ago Wiscky and Oregon were known for perpetual losing too but that won't stop a team trending up and popular!Check out the recruiting at RU so the kids at least are buying and thats all that counts!I can't believe the jealousy and negativity by some of you guys instead of going positive!

Nick, I like your moxie and I wish we had a lot more fans who were as dedicated to UConn as you are to Rutgers (totally honest).

Let me tell you a story, however. Ten years ago, a school was about to open a brand new stadium. The first game of that year was scheduled against a regional rival, but the school thought, no, that's not good enough, we want to open up the stadium against a big-name opponent. So, the school rescheduled its game with the regional rival for later in the season and brought in a team from the Midwest.

The school was UConn, the stadium was Rentschler Field, the regional rival was Rutgers and the "big-name" opponent was Indiana. That's right: Indiana was valued far more highly than Rutgers, as a football property, and no one in their right mind questioned that decision. For reference, according to Wikipedia, Indiana has six players in the NFL -- about as many as the 5-7 Connecticut Huskies of 2012.

I'm not saying Rutgers hasn't done a lot in the last ten years, because they have, that's obvious -- equally obvious, however, is that Rutgers has been historically recognized as one of the worst football programs in America, as evidenced by an SI column published a week before The Rent opened, entitled Why Can't Rutgers Ever Win?

The moral of the story is, as other posters have said, that Rutgers's value to the Big Ten is based strictly on the number of television eyeballs within its DMA and has nothing to do with its football "history," good or bad, including the 0.278 winning percentage in the decade preceding that SI piece and also Ray Rice.

Good luck to you in the Big Ten and I hope to join you there soon.

Reaction Score
Its obvious you feel the need to strike out at an innocent neighbor school for their hard work in CR to assuage your inadequesies....in that case RU is indeed a winner or you can move the school to NJ ? See you at the RU/UConn FB game..good luck!....Merit?I'm just a fan whether we win or lose its not life or death and one day you'll realize that!

NN,

Please understand that we don't feel the least bit inadequate. Our resentment comes from seeing many unaccomplished old BE members land in real conferences while UConn is stuck in a gulag. If decisions were made solely on the merits of academic growth and athletic accomplishments, then UConn would be long gone out of the old BE (or the horrid AAC) and placed in a real conference. If decisions were made that way, UConn would be one of the first taken. Rutgers has been called the biggest winner in CR. Other than location what explains that? Be honest, your athletic performance over the last decade or so has been mediocre at best. Rutgers is a good school - no better than UConn, however. Other then location what else is there? I wish Rutgers well, but you have to admit issues other then accomplishment were driving the bus for you to get a B1G nod.

I still maintain that we'll get placed soon and I hope it is the B1G. It seems a lot less susceptible to petty grudges and jealousies that plague the ACC.

Reaction Score
Nick, I like your moxie and I wish we had a lot more fans who were as dedicated to UConn as you are to Rutgers (totally honest).

Let me tell you a story, however. Ten years ago, a school was about to open a brand new stadium. The first game of that year was scheduled against a regional rival, but the school thought, no, that's not good enough, we want to open up the stadium against a big-name opponent. So, the school rescheduled its game with the regional rival for later in the season and brought in a team from the Midwest.

The school was UConn, the stadium was Rentschler Field, the regional rival was Rutgers and the "big-name" opponent was Indiana. That's right: Indiana was valued far more highly than Rutgers, as a football property, and no one in their right mind questioned that decision. For reference, according to Wikipedia, Indiana has six players in the NFL -- about as many as the 5-7 Connecticut Huskies of 2012.

I'm not saying Rutgers hasn't done a lot in the last ten years, because they have, that's obvious -- equally obvious, however, is that Rutgers has been historically recognized as one of the worst football programs in America, as evidenced by an SI column published a week before The Rent opened, entitled Why Can't Rutgers Ever Win?

The moral of the story is, as other posters have said, that Rutgers's value to the Big Ten is based strictly on the number of television eyeballs within its DMA and has nothing to do with its football "history," good or bad, including the 0.278 winning percentage in the decade preceding that SI piece and also Ray Rice.

Good luck to you in the Big Ten and I hope to join you there soon.
Thanks for reassuring me Im right in boosting you guys into a proper conference to highlight your winning programs in an appropriate forum!Listen Im 61 and know RU's history esp in Hoops and FB and RU's history for FB is nowhere near as bad as its put up to be!Now we were never worldbeaters but we have a winning history .520% overall and Ive seen the disrespect before (see Tenn in whatsaRutgers game) or Alabama or Fla in Gainesville and at PSU in the 80s and held our own though not supported by the school as a D1 school but playing over our heads!The WORST period was after Graber (who wasn't bad) with a Calif hire Terry Shea and he was our Grob!If as were doing lately keep a third of our kids home all bets are off!...RUs a funny school the further away you get the better there academic reputation is esp among the average Joe!When I was in the Corps in Cali everyone thought of RU as a "Princeton type Ivy !Of course RU wasn't the state school untill the 50s!We'll I have an appt and don't have time now to finish but thanks for an excellent/rational post...this is why I like the BY!!...Frank Burns was the coach when I started following RU in the 60s!

Reaction Score
NN,

Please understand that we don't feel the least bit inadequate. Our resentment comes from seeing many unaccomplished old BE members land in real conferences while UConn is stuck in a gulag. If decisions were made solely on the merits of academic growth and athletic accomplishments, then UConn would be long gone out of the old BE (or the horrid AAC) and placed in a real conference. If decisions were made that way, UConn would be one of the first taken. Rutgers has been called the biggest winner in CR. Other than location what explains that? Be honest, your athletic performance over the last decade or so has been mediocre at best. Rutgers is a good school - no better than UConn, however. Other then location what else is there? I wish Rutgers well, but you have to admit issues other then accomplishment were driving the bus for you to get a B1G nod.

I still maintain that we'll get placed soon and I hope it is the B1G. It seems a lot less susceptible to petty grudges and jealousies that plague the ACC.
//I never said RU was anymore worthy than anyone but that being were located in a MAJOR demo we couldn't be left out!By the same token neither can you!!I just tire of looking for interesting info only to find a lot of RU knocking which I usually understand and even tried to warn another decent poster BCINGYA who gets baited!But thanks for your concern and Im sure your fears will be assuaged soon!Take my word for it!btw don't think RU fans weren't nervous when the ACC should've taken you with "Cuse" so I have a real good idea how it feels and try not to denigrate anyone!!

Reaction Score
“We pursue championships in every sport, including football and basketball. We’ve won 17 national championships overall in the last 15 years. We’re directed at championships."

Some other good info here.

http://247sports.com/Article/Delany-We-pursue-championships-142936

It's interesting that while the Big Ten has won those 17 national championships overall in the last 15 years, the ACC in the same timeframe has won 58 national championships overall since 1998. UConn as mentioned has won 11. UVA has won 8 in that timeframe.

I wonder if Jim Delaney is trying to impress?

Reaction Score
It's interesting that while the Big Ten has won those 17 national championships overall in the last 15 years, the ACC in the same timeframe has won 58 national championships overall since 1998. UConn as mentioned has won 11. UVA has won 8 in that timeframe.

I tell you what, my Wahoo loving friend.. If the Huskies and Cavaliers walk hand in hand into the BiG, well that would be awesome.... Here's to the great John Casteen!!!!!

Reaction Score

Here in SEC country they believe that although the B1G pursues a lot they are too slow to catch many.

Reaction Score
Its obvious you feel the need to strike out at an innocent neighbor school for their hard work in CR to assuage your inadequesies....in that case RU is indeed a winner or you can move the school to NJ ? See you at the RU/UConn FB game..good luck!....Merit?I'm just a fan whether we win or lose its not life or death and one day you'll realize that!
Congrats, you won in CR. the one and ONLY thing you have or EVER will win at.

Reaction Score
Except when playing you in FB!!Your one of the worst examples of a UConn fan and so common as to be a typical SU fan poster with nothing to add to a stimulating intelligent conversation so STFU!...btw lay off the booze and get some sleep!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then keep him and see where you championships will come from!What a sense of entitlement!!Lotsa luck!SU's boards laugh at the retread hire!It wasnt long ago Wiscky and Oregon were known for perpetual losing too but that won't stop a team trending up and popular!Check out the recruiting at RU so the kids at least are buying and thats all that counts!I can't believe the jealousy and negativity by some of you guys instead of going positive!

So you aren't 'we' with UConn in this post?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You are forgetting all the February recruiting championships.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Is it just me or does Delany have this Gargamel look going for him?

7_1023145.jpg

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Great news - UVA, GATech, FSU and Mizzou are out of consideration. That leaves two of UNC, KU and UConn.
h

Sorry this sounds more like a non answer to me... its about relationships in the east... UVA, GA Tech and FSU are all out east. Right? Plus this says nothing about what AD at TExas and OU are are talking about. Big 12 will let something fly or those two are leaving.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
12, you're forgetting our 2007 paintball title.

And what about Polo? Can't forget about Polo! Don't we have 4 or 5 championships in that span... we dominate at everything... but CR.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
you beat me by a second

I get a kick out of the polo thing. I mean CT does have some serious agrarian roots and I grew up surrounded by corn and cows... but polo?

Reaction Score

I thought the number looked funny so I looked it up and the Big Ten has won about 90 team NCAA championships since 1998 - it'll be higher if you start counting Maryland's and Nebraska's prior to them joining Big Ten.

You get about 17 if you just go by what the Big Ten considers to be rev. sports: FB, M B.Ball, W B.Ball, M Ice Hockey, M. Lacrosse, F. Lacrosse

FB - 1
M B.Ball - 1 (2 w/Maryland)
W B.Ball - 1 (2 w/Maryland)
M.Ice Hockey - 5
M. Lacrosse - 0 (2 w/ JHU)
W. Lacrosse - 7

Reaction Score
I thought the number looked funny so I looked it up and the Big Ten has won about 90 team NCAA championships since 1998 - it'll be higher if you start counting Maryland's and Nebraska's prior to them joining Big Ten.

You get about 17 if you just go by what the Big Ten considers to be rev. sports: FB, M B.Ball, W B.Ball, M Ice Hockey, M. Lacrosse, F. Lacrosse

FB - 1
M B.Ball - 1 (2 w/Maryland)
W B.Ball - 1 (2 w/Maryland)
M.Ice Hockey - 5
M. Lacrosse - 0 (2 w/ JHU)
W. Lacrosse - 7
We will be happy to add ten more in revenue sports since 98 and throw in a soccer ship for good measure.

Reaction Score
No -- Delany said they pursue championships, so he definitely couldn't have been referencing the ACC...

Thats pretty big talk coming from Delany, considering they haven't won jack lately.

How many have they won this century, compared to the ACC, or, the BE/AAC?

Reaction Score
NN,

The present unpleasantness towards UConn is coming from your former BE brethren, IMHO.

I do not understand their points of view. All of you seemed to be good conference mates in the old BE. That makes their stance towards you now crazy in my book.

From what I've been able to gather, the pettiness is not coming from the ACC's original members. They were ready to vote you in, especially the Tobacco Road schools. Clemson certainly voted against UConn, but, that was 100 percent football-related.

Reaction Score
If the B1G considers women's lacrosse a revenue sport, I will start questioning how much intelligence is really a factor in those AAU requirements. Most women's lacrosse games are played in front of parents and devoted boyfriends. I'd like for us to be better at it for Your Corporation Here Cup points (and I like to be good at everything), but not because we need the extra revenue stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom