Delany trying to get B1G Tourney to MSG in 2018 | The Boneyard

Delany trying to get B1G Tourney to MSG in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
according to the Chicago Tirbune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...adison-square-garden-20140605,0,5509628.story

"Staging its tournament at “The World’s Most Famous Arena,” in the nation’s financial and media capital, would be a huge coup for the league – and a way to welcome in Rutgers, located less than 40 miles from midtown Manhattan."

Doesn't he realize that Rutgers doesn't even play basketball? Wait... they do?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Jesus F Christ. There are two...TWO...schools that carry MSG: the Fruitcakes and UCONN. You want MSG? You need to add one of these schools to move tickets. Enough is enough, Jim. Make the goddam call. UCONN operators (read: President Herbst) are standing by.

Reaction Score
Jesus F Christ. There are two...TWO...schools that carry MSG: the Fruitcakes and UCONN. You want MSG? You need to add one of these schools to move tickets. Enough is enough, Jim. Make the goddam call. UCONN operators (read: President Herbst) are standing by.

I'm not sure the Big Ten really is concerned with what 'carries' MSG, but I will offer up the point that in my humble (or perhaps not so humble) opinion, UConn may well be a participant in that tournament anyhow :)

Reaction Score

Correct, after UConn and Syracuse, everyone else is in a second tier at MSG. ND and Duke are likely in the next tier; but both are in the evil empire with the Fruit. While many of the B1G's school do have strong alumni networks in the NYC area (Indiana game, U Michigan at the Rent), it is not enough and the two closest schools to MSG, Rutgers and Penn St, have a limited basketball fan base due to their lack of success in basketball. Thus, if the B1G wants to own MSG, they need UConn as Mr. Delaney saw during the NCAA tournament first hand.

Reaction Score
Eh, I'm proud of the way that we represent there, but I think that if St. John's, Seton Hall or Rutgers were ever playing big games there (lol) they would represent just as well as anyone else.

Of course, that's the rub isn't it?

Reaction Score
There is one thing to sell out MSG with alumni that travel to NYC for the event. Its a completely different thing to carry MSG and have the whole city buzzing with excitement. Anyone can do the first, only 1 name comes to mind for the second. Again, for the Northeast to "buy in" on the Big10 brand, adding UConn is a must. Its that simple.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The point of Delany's comment is to try to book MSG to "welcome Rutgers". Good. All 466 of them can show up to be welcomed with yet another first day exit.

Reaction Score
The point of Delany's comment is to try to book MSG to "welcome Rutgers". Good. All 466 of them can show up to be welcomed with yet another first day exit.

All the more room for UConn...

Dooley

Reaction Score
There is one thing to sell out MSG with alumni that travel to NYC for the event. Its a completely different thing to carry MSG and have the whole city buzzing with excitement. Anyone can do the first, only 1 name comes to mind for the second. Again, for the Northeast to "buy in" on the Big10 brand, adding UConn is a must. Its that simple.

This. It's one thing to sell tickets. It's another thing to sell tickets at a ridiculous secondary market mark-up to create a serious buzz in the city that you supposedly want to dominate. The B1G Tourney Final will sellout no matter who plays (except, ironically, Rutgers), no doubt. But a B1G Tourney Final WITH UCONN in the mix not only sells out, it creates the type of NYC buzz that should accompany a major conference tournament.

Seriously, this one hurts. I can stomach Frank the Tank telling us that Rutgers got into the B1G because they've played football since 27 B.C. But we are now talking about basketball and New York City. This is absolutely, 100% UCONN owned territory. If you are serious about MSG and creating the proper buzz that should accompany big basketball games at the Mecca then, for fahqs sake, UCONN.

Reaction Score
MSG is loyal to the Big East Conference, "new", "revamped", whatever-----ask the ACC.

MSG is not going to bump the Big East back a week when low mid-majors play there little tourneys. So the B1G is going to schedule games in and around the Big East the same week at the same venue? Unless the Big East disbands by then, it is not plausible.

Reaction Score
For a conference tournament, New York is an easy sell - any major conference would sell every ticket.

Whatever the reasons to add UConn might be, selling out MSG in 2018 is not among them.
Agreed but if the B1G wants the NYC headlines Uconn is who they need. The Dsily News is not putting Michigan vs. Iowa on their back page.

Reaction Score
MSG is loyal to the Big East Conference, "new", "revamped", whatever-----ask the ACC.

MSG is not going to bump the Big East back a week when low mid-majors play there little tourneys. So the B1G is going to schedule games in and around the Big East the same week at the same venue? Unless the Big East disbands by then, it is not plausible.

MSG rents out the garden to the BE. Having interest from the B1G and ACC drives up the price.

Reaction Score

They might when they realize the bigeast is now the A10!! This is BigEast ONLY in name not in substance.

Reaction Score
according to the Chicago Tirbune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...adison-square-garden-20140605,0,5509628.story

"Staging its tournament at “The World’s Most Famous Arena,” in the nation’s financial and media capital, would be a huge coup for the league – and a way to welcome in Rutgers, located less than 40 miles from midtown Manhattan."

Doesn't he realize that Rutgers doesn't even play basketball? Wait... they do?
As usual I'll pass....its you're ball!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They might when they realize the bigeast is now the A10!! This is BigEast ONLY in name not in substance.

Here's the rub....why would Madison Square Garden boot the Big East for the Big Ten?

The Big East is in there year in and year out - why should MSG harm their partners by letting the Big Ten play make believe for a year before scampering back to Chicago and Indy for another decade?

It makes no sense.

It's fine that the Big Ten brags about being in two regions, but in basketball terms, they're still in one - every single program in the Big East is better than Rutgers and Penn State. Maryland's better than those two sacks of sadness, but they're not getting any play in New York unless they're playing UConn, Syracuse or the Knicks.

Unless the Big Ten writes them a massive check, MSG will likely tell them to go pound sand.

Reaction Score
Here's the rub....why would Madison Square Garden boot the Big East for the Big Ten?

The Big East is in there year in and year out - why should MSG harm their partners by letting the Big Ten play make believe for a year before scampering back to Chicago and Indy for another decade?

It makes no sense.

It's fine that the Big Ten brags about being in two regions, but in basketball terms, they're still in one - every single program in the Big East is better than Rutgers and Penn State. Maryland's better than those two sacks of sadness, but they're not getting any play in New York unless they're playing UConn, Syracuse or the Knicks.

Unless the Big Ten writes them a massive check, MSG will likely tell them to go pound sand.

I was wondering if perhaps the Big Ten wasn't working with the Big East to orchestrate a one-year appearance at MSG. The Big East could really benefit from an alliance with the Big Ten, so perhaps moving the tournament back several days once every so often would be a small price to pay for such an arrangement.

Reaction Score
Every day a new article comes out that makes me think unequivocally that every conference commisioner and P5 president is just trolling us and running to this board to watch how many slit our wrists.

I mean Rutgers and MSG, Delany is definitely reading this board and chuckling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was wondering if perhaps the Big Ten wasn't working with the Big East to orchestrate a one-year appearance at MSG. The Big East could really benefit from an alliance with the Big Ten, so perhaps moving the tournament back several days once every so often would be a small price to pay for such an arrangement.

I think you underestimate the importance of the Big East Tournament and Madison Square Garden.

You're trying to park your double-wide on their Temple Mount.

There is nothing that the Big Ten can offer the Big East that would make it worth trading for the center of their universe. You can't offer them a football game and they truly don't need a basketball alliance with the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I think you underestimate the importance of the Big East Tournament and Madison Square Garden.

You're trying to park your double-wide on their Temple Mount.

There is nothing that the Big Ten can offer the Big East that would make it worth trading for the center of their universe. You can't offer them a football game and they truly don't need a basketball alliance with the Big Ten.

Delany is having direct discussions with MSG (not the NBE). This is all about money and the B1G tournament would generate more revenue for the garden. If it's just for one year, it's plausible that the NBE is pressured into swapping regions. Also, consider that half the New Big East conference resides West of Ohio State.

Reaction Score

It makes no sense.

I just don't see much interest in the BE conference here anymore...only the name is BE...Seton Hall or St Johns? That's not MY BE...BE in name only so MSG is loyal to what? A sentimental dream of years gone by? I'd imagine on B1G alumni they'd surpass those 2 small catholic schools and don't you think those B1G schools fans won't come here and spend money in droves !?! I'd pass on the local BE duo and good or not and RU was pretty darn good for a couple of decades when I was coming up and here in NYC metro if you win your in!! Give it a couple years Fishy!?! I'm just giving you my feel...heck no ones more disappointed in RU's hoops since Bob Wenzel than me who watched RU go undefeated in hoops and FB in "76"...its all about who you hire as coaches and now hopefully RU will spend for once! You're only as good as your HC IMO. I think college sports locally is in for B1Gtime change and UConn is in the vision. Tranghese and the Providence mob are on the way into history books on how to ruin a potentially great all sports conference by kowtowing to hoop's over FB! I respect you're views Fishy but thats just the way I see it! We'll soon see !?!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Delany is having direct discussions with MSG (not the NBE). This is all about money and the B1G tournament would generate more revenue for the garden. If it's just for one year, it's plausible that the NBE is pressured into swapping regions. Also, consider that half the New Big East conference resides West of Ohio State.

The Big East has a contract for 2018. And for 2019. And 2020. And 2017. And so on.

The Big Ten wants one year.

That's not a winning arrangement for the Garden which is why even the Tribune speculates that the Big Ten will have to be flexible in its dates, (Hello Wednesday title game!), or make a deal with the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom