Delany trying to get B1G Tourney to MSG in 2018 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Delany trying to get B1G Tourney to MSG in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i like your thinking but we can take an invite as late as 4/1/15 and still play in the B1G 2017-18 season while serving our 27 months (doubt we'd serve it all though via buyout precedent). Still plenty if time, plus wouldn't take away from Rutgers and Maryland adds.

The real deadline for Uconn is the day the B1G announces it's new TV deal. Once they settle that they won't be adding anyone for awhile.

Reaction Score
They could orchestrate sessions to where the semifinals and championships were all played on the same day. But any of the previous rounds would have to be played separately.

Perhaps the Big East could play its opening rounds on Monday & Tuesday, the Big Ten on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday and then the two leagues would have semifinals on Saturday with championship games as a doubleheader on Sunday.

That defeats the entire purpose of having the tourney in New York, which is for fanbases to spend 3 or 4 days in the city watching basketball. This would drive down attendance rather than raise it.

Reaction Score
That defeats the entire purpose of having the tourney in New York, which is for fanbases to spend 3 or 4 days in the city watching basketball. This would drive down attendance rather than raise it.

It wouldn't drive down attendance. The place would be packed all week, just not all by the same fans.

Furthermore, most (though not all) fans of a team leave after their team is eliminated anyhow. There are some that stick around, but most don't. There would be absolutely no issues selling tickets whatsoever.

In any event, I don't think this is what they're trying to work out, so it's a moot point. I gather they're more likely to switch regions for a year where the Big East plays its tournament in Indy and the Big Ten plays at MSG... or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It wouldn't drive down attendance. The place would be packed all week, just not all by the same fans.

Furthermore, most (though not all) fans of a team leave after their team is eliminated anyhow. There are some that stick around, but most don't. There would be absolutely no issues selling tickets whatsoever.

In any event, I don't think this is what they're trying to work out, so it's a moot point. I gather they're more likely to switch regions for a year where the Big East plays its tournament in Indy and the Big Ten plays at MSG... or something along those lines.

The quarters and semifinals were often the most difficult ticket to get, much more so than the championship.

If you're breaking up the quarters and semis, you've largely defeated the purpose of the tourney, and I do think it would drive down attendance.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
Mmn not so sure. Are you presuming that we'd play our OOC schedule as a member of one league and conf. schedule as a member of another (or am I just messing up the math?) I don't see that happening. Regardless, we agree that UConn, in theory, could be in the B1G in time for this tournament.
We need to announce our withdrawal 27 months prior to wanting to leave. All conference changes are made on July 1st each year. So 27 months prior to 7/1/17 would be 4/1/15. And in early 2015 the big will start to renegosh its new TV deal. Perfect timing.

Reaction Score
There is enough demand from the B1G as it stands in NYC to make it worthwhile without us. Michigan, tOSU, MSU, Indiana, Maryland and if RU were to ever win a game in the B1G tourney they too could fill MSG easily on their own with their NYC alums an travelers. Sorry to all bubbles which have been burst

Reaction Score
i like your thinking but we can take an invite as late as 4/1/15 and still play in the B1G 2017-18 season while serving our 27 months (doubt we'd serve it all though via buyout precedent). Still plenty if time, plus wouldn't take away from Rutgers and Maryland adds.
An NIT type situation were the early round games are offsite would alleviate logistic problems of a duel Tourney.

Reaction Score
MSG could host the Catholics a week early since the new big east is more like one of the lower mid-majors now anyway. Host the B1G the following week.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We need to announce our withdrawal 27 months prior to wanting to leave. All conference changes are made on July 1st each year. So 27 months prior to 7/1/17 would be 4/1/15. And in early 2015 the big will start to renegosh its new TV deal. Perfect timing.
Ah, got it Dan.

Reaction Score
They might when they realize the bigeast is now the A10!! This is BigEast ONLY in name not in substance.
Did you read the article? It presumes the BE will still be playing their tourny there. It also says that the B1G would have to be the conference to fit their games around the BE games.

Not to mention the Knicks and the Rangers.

Reaction Score
MSG could host the Catholics a week early since the new big east is more like one of the lower mid-majors now anyway. Host the B1G the following week.
READ the article, it is not going to happen. If anyone has to take a hit on their schedule, it will be the B1G. UCONN could be in the B1G by then with the Avery Point branch team thrown in for giggles, whatever the circumstances, the BE are the prime tenants that week. They are regulars, the B1G are visitors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
READ the article, it is not going to happen. If anyone has to take a hit on their schedule, it will be the B1G. UCONN could be in the B1G by then with the Avery Point branch team thrown in for giggles, whatever the circumstances, the BE are the prime tenants that week. They are regulars, the B1G are visitors.

That detail is one that Teddy could be just assuming. The Big Ten has been speaking with the Big East about arrangements, which would suggest that (the Big East) is willing to step aside for one year or re-arrange their schedule. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to clue in the Big East if they weren't willing/cooperating on rescheduling for a season.

Would definitely not rule out the Big Ten playing in MSG on selection weekend in 2018. Yes, the Big East is the prime tenant and yes they have the rights to play there. It doesn't mean they can't be bought for one season.

Reaction Score
If Delany wants to celebrate Rutgers joining the B1G (4 years after the fact) they can play the damned thing in Newark. The IZOD arena will probably be dust by then, but hey, to make Rutgers REALLY happier than a pig in slop they can play at the RAC.

I hope to God we get in the B1G by 2018, Even so, as far as the tournament, I don't see the BE bargaining their rights to MSG. It really is the most valuable asset they have and I can't see them selling out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104