Delany: AAU Membership Required For Admission | The Boneyard

Delany: AAU Membership Required For Admission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This deserves its own thread. Put the question to bed, here it is straight from the source while under oath, AAU membership is required for admission to the B1G:

Andy Staples ‏@Andy_Staples 24m
Delany said Big Ten requires AAU (American Association of Universities) membership upon admission. Nebraska was, but isn't anymore.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame could never join unless the B1G changed their requirements---which they easily could vote to do. The key here is that we wasted years of inaction toward AAU status. Only after Herbst came in and saw how sorry we were in pursuit of grants that she set things in motion. Its a constant march toward AAU. I believe we will get there.

Reaction Score
They would find it in their hearts to make an exception for Notre Dame.
Yes, they could, and they would, but this is now public testimony under oath outlining that requirement. Changing the rules down the line would only fuel more impending lawsuits - which are indeed in the pipeline and more threatening to the NCAA as a whole.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, they could, and they would, but this is now public testimony under oath outlining that requirement. Changing the rules down the line would only fuel more impending lawsuits - which are indeed in the pipeline and more threatening to the NCAA as a whole.

I don't think there's anything there.

The Big Ten is free to decide on whatever qualifications they'd like to enforce on potential members and whatever exceptions they might make.

Reaction Score
This is odd because (Big Ten Assistant Commissioner and Media Director) Scott Chipman has said, I believe, that although the Big Ten does not make its bylaws public, it does not require AAU status as a prerequisite of admission. I emailed him about this subject back in 2009 or early 2010 and he acknowledged that it was not a requisite.

Curious if those circumstances have changed, he misspoke or if Delaney's comments were not in context or simply not entirely accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Delany's exact words in 2010...

"It's very important," Delany said. "AAU membership is an important part of who we are. It was an important part of who we are [when the Big Ten added] Penn State, and it's an important aspect of what makes an institution a research institution, an undergraduate school, a school that serves the public at a high level."

Asked if AAU membership was mandatory for expansion candidates, Delany said, "We're not there. I'm not going to qualify or disqualify, but it's a very important factor."

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Huh? They can change the rules however the heck they want. Who cares if he was under oath?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's an athletic conference for crying out loud. Does anyone really know what anything requires anymore? It's all moving targets these days and I could care less what is written and what is not.

Reaction Score
He's just continuing the smokescreen and misdirection game. Trying to let the ACC know they aren't interested in us.

Until we get that phone call.

Or not.

Reaction Score
This is odd because (Big Ten Assistant Commissioner and Media Director) Scott Chipman has said, I believe, that although the Big Ten does not make its bylaws public, it does not require AAU status as a prerequisite of admission. I emailed him about this subject back in 2009 or early 2010 and he acknowledged that it was not a requisite.

Curious if those circumstances have changed, he misspoke or if Delaney's comments were not in context or simply not entirely accurate.
Sounds like you need to dig up that email and ask for clarification.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, I wonder if this new statement that came out by Delany, is to communicate to the G5 not to bother contacting the B1G unless you have AAU. Maybe with all this conference realignment talk, and the G5 schools wanting to get into the P5 he is looking to clear the phone lines. And yes there are schools that if they were to go asking for a B1G invite without AAU would be considered. Unfortunately, I think at this time we are not on a watch list as we have too many things that need improvement. I would say they are watching UVA, UNC, KU, and some others, but only if certain events involving each of these schools were to happen would they look to invite knowing that said school is more likely to say yes. They know our situation and they know we would say yes but there is nothing for them to look at as we have not reached any of their goals necessary to be attractive for an invite. Namely AAU membership, substantial increase in the endowment fund, and lastly demonstrated fan support. We need to see how our football progresses on the field but this is likely to make us more attractive to other conferences which in turn may make us more attractive to the B1G but not until we have obtained AAU status. Considering its membership is by invitation only and should UConn be close to getting into the B1G, then I would see a fast-track to AAU. I just don't see this happening today or even in three years. I think UConn is in the AAC for at least another 4 years. I will be happy to be wrong. I also, don't see UConn gaining the necessary national attention for other universities to fight for our membership into their conference. How many B1G schools consider UConn to be a peer institution? In fact how many Universities chose UConn at all? It would be nice if Yale would have done this for UConn, but think about it, why would they? It would have been nice for tOSU to give us this recognition or NC or NCSU...so we may be the prettiest girl left at the prom without a date, but all pretty girls are dancing with their partners? Who is going to dance with us so we can dance next to the cool kids. Afterall, its not going to the PROM that matters but getting into the after-prom party that really matters!!! And if you are not sitting at the cool kids table, well - you are not going! And I am not saying we wont get an invite eventually but I am saying we won't get one for at least 4 more years -JMHO!

Reaction Score
I think that line was to make it clear that conference admission (if the 'D4 split' happens from the NCAA ) will be dependent on a clear set of qualifications vs. it being moving target on a case by case basis.

The reality will differ, but that's what the Delany and Co will point to.

Reaction Score
As an alum, the only thing I truly care about is Uconn increasing its academic prestige and AAU membership would greatly enhance that.
Don't get me wrong, I hope our athletics keep improving but once you're out of college and in the workforce, where you went to school matters more than how many championships or bowl games they won.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
As an alum, the only thing I truly care about is Uconn increasing its academic prestige and AAU membership would greatly enhance that.
Don't get me wrong, I hope our athletics keep improving but once you're out of college and in the workforce, where you went to school matters more than how many championships or bowl games they won.
In all honesty, UCONN winning championships in sports is way more important to me at this stage of my life.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
IMO, Delany was just trying to emphasize that although they are an athletic conference, the conference is made up of schools that were like-minded, highly regarded ACADEMIC institutions and being part of the AAU is a criterion of acceptance. It's convenient that all institutions were AAU when invited as it fits the narrative that not only do these kids play sports, but they are getting a quality education as well. It does not mean that there is a hard rule in the bylaws about AAU requirement. Even if there was, they could change at a moments notice to invite whichever school they pleased.

Reaction Score

I'd like to know his exact words myself. While I believe that AAU Status is incredibly important to B1G Decision makers, I don't believe that it is a deal breaker for potential membership. If tomorrow ND decided that they wanted full membership w/no strings attached, would they be turned down because of lack of membership? How about if both UT and Kansas came to the conference and said we would love to join all in, but you have to suck it up and take football blue blood OU? The horror! The conference would be out of its mind to walk away from any of those scenarios. I see UCONN the same way I view OU. They bring a lot to the table athletically and are working hard at improving an already solid academic side.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's Delany's quote in a little clearer (Twitterized) context...

George Schroeder@GeorgeSchroeder · 20m
Judge trying to figure out how schools would get into the B1G. Delany: “Yeah, those decisions are made by the members of each conference."

George Schroeder@GeorgeSchroeder · 19m
Judge: What are the requirements to be in B1G? Delany: "I think you have to want to belong and you have to be welcomed."

George Schroeder@GeorgeSchroeder · 17m
Judge Wilken degree from Stanford, J.D. from Cal-Berkeley. … If those schools soon apply for B1G membership, we’ll know where she was going.

George Schroeder@GeorgeSchroeder · 16m
RT @Andy_Staples: Delany on NCAA membership: "You'd want the base rules to be similar for the competition to be fair."

George Schroeder@GeorgeSchroeder · 15m
Delany also mentioned membership in the AAU at time of application & sponsoring at least 16 sports as requirements for B1G entry.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's tough to "live" in the northeast. They're going to need to ease up on the AAU requirement or stop saying things about northeast-ward movement. Nobody above the Bronx watches or cares about Rutgers anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMO, Delany was just trying to emphasize that although they are an athletic conference, the conference is made up of schools that were like-minded, highly regarded ACADEMIC institutions and being part of the AAU is a criterion of acceptance. It's convenient that all institutions were AAU when invited as it fits the narrative that not only do these kids play sports, but they are getting a quality education as well. It does not mean that there is a hard rule in the bylaws about AAU requirement. Even if there was, they could change at a moments notice to invite whichever school they pleased.

Bingo they are trying to make it seems like academics matter during the trial. What do you think they will come back with perjury charges if they admit non AAU someday?

Way too much time wasted on what people say. What they say doesn't matter. Don't you guys have jobs? 95% of what you hear in any given workday is nonsense - these conference commissioners and university presidents are no different.

pj

Reaction Score
Let's not pretend this is irrelevant. If B1G officials go on record under oath in a trial saying that their academic affiliations are why they are not a cartel forbidden by antitrust law, it's not easy to turn around within a few years and repudiate that by taking a school that doesn't meet their stated academic requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom