De'Janae Boykin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

De'Janae Boykin

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm proud of my fellow Cyclone fans for being so kind ! And Hilton has always been a great place for BB!

I'm wondering if they possibly directed you to Hickory Park on South Duff....? ::::salivating at the memories yummmmmm:::: If so, I bet you slept well :cool:

Hickory Park

I actually spent a week on Iowa State's campus while in high school. Was their for a National United Methodist Youth Conference. I thought it was a nice campus... stayed in Buchanan Hall.... thought the Campaignle (sp) was cool as well as the Memorial Union...... obviously didnt get a chance to see the town or enjoy the restaurant you posted. Somewhere in storage, there is a White ISU Sweatshirt with a Cyclone on the front. Didnt wear it much... but got always got a kick of people asking me what I was doing wearing a Iowa State sweatshirt :p I would go look for it... but after 28 years..... I dont think it would fit anymore :(:oops:

Reaction Score
OK we can end all of the speculation......I spoke with a sports writer who covers Penn State and he says that she picked up an undisclosed injury in early January during the Purdue game and they hope she will be back by the Big Ten Conference Tournament............he said she had played well coming off the bench and they view her as a valuable player moving forward.............enough said

Reaction Score
OK we can end all of the speculation.I spoke with a sports writer who covers Penn State and he says that she picked up an undisclosed injury in early January during the Purdue game and they hope she will be back by the Big Ten Conference Tournament..he said she had played well coming off the bench and they view her as a valuable player moving forward...enough said

Thank you.

No drama. No witch hunt. Simple. I should think that were Penn State a ranked team, or had a major fan base, the question would have been asked long ago, and answered long ago.

Thank you for the clarification. Let's hope that young lady recovers fully and soon.

As with any young lady who transfers from UConn, we wish them the best.

Reaction Score
That is somewhat true for power conferences, but not true for D1 mid majors and certainly not true for D2/D3. Many injuries and most other issues will never be disclosed. For example, three of Boston University's male basketball players have been suspended since early December. But there has not been one word from the University or from the newspapers about it. For another example, Holy Cross's top freshman recruit only dressed for one game, and then was never seen again. The only announcement was in late December, When Holy Cross announced he had been expelled. No reason given.

Note: Neither Boston or Holy Cross ever even mentioned the suspensions. That was only inferred by close observers when none of them was on or near the bench at games and none was involved in any team functions.

Student Athletes -are humans---and kids- not highly paid entertainers--they have the RiGHT to not have their personal situation/information etc to be blasted across the internet or the press--the have at least the perceived RiGHT to Privacy!! If you or I were a student in that situation--we'd want our privacy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I actually spent a week on Iowa State's campus while in high school. Was their for a National United Methodist Youth Conference. I thought it was a nice campus... stayed in Buchanan Hall.... thought the Campaignle (sp) was cool as well as the Memorial Union. obviously didnt get a chance to see the town or enjoy the restaurant you posted. Somewhere in storage, there is a White ISU Sweatshirt with a Cyclone on the front. Didnt wear it much... but got always got a kick of people asking me what I was doing wearing a Iowa State sweatshirt :p I would go look for it... but after 28 years..... I dont think it would fit anymore :(:oops:
For Triad, it's Campanile:

1-medium.jpg

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
OK we can end all of the speculation.I spoke with a sports writer who covers Penn State and he says that she picked up an undisclosed injury in early January during the Purdue game and they hope she will be back by the Big Ten Conference Tournament..he said she had played well coming off the bench and they view her as a valuable player moving forward...enough said

Thank you for the information. Glad to hear De'Janae will be o.k., and she will return to finish out the season. I will keep her lifted in prayer!!
Once a Husky, always a Husky!!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
So how is Sierra Calhoun doing so far this year? :cool:
She's doing well, she starts in the backcourt with KMitch and is a capable shooter and good ball handler, but he rotates his gurds so much I don't believe she gets a good feel for games. On defense she's just as pitiful as the rest of the team. It's just not a strength of this team and that's why they'll always be a middle-of-the-road team and never a serious natty contender.

Reaction Score
So for the last I don't know how long this young lady has been discussed ad nauseam in a very humiliating, nay insulting way and we now are just going to say thanks for the clarification .......

I think there should be some honest heartfelt apologies and a promise never to do it again (whether it turns out true or not).

Reaction Score
Penn State should put out a press release explaining her status. Simple. If a player doesn't play, or if a player's status has somehow been altered, the university, through the PR department, let's people know.

Should be a simple matter.
Why? You can never give the real reason so what purpose would this serve?

Reaction Score
Is a medical redshirt possible for DJB?

I'm not sure what the maximum number of games you can play before being red shirted but it's certainly possible as she only played in something like 5 or 6 games

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is a medical redshirt possible for DJB?

My understanding of the NCAA rule for medical hardship waivers is that the player cannot have played (a) in more than 30% of the team's contests for that season, nor (b) in any games in the second half of the season (as defined by number of contests).

For Boykin this is a very close call. She's played in only 6 games, so the 30% criterion is easily met. But her last game was against Purdue on January 7, which was Penn State's 16th game. This means (again, if I'm understanding the rule correctly) that PSU's season will need to consist of at least 32 games for her to satisfy the second-half-of-season criterion.

Penn State's regular season consists of 28 games. So, between the Big Ten tournament and the WNIT (and PSU will almost certainly receive a bid), PSU will need to play at least 4 postseason games. Certainly a possibility, since they'd only have to win one game in the Big Ten tournament and one WNIT game, but far from certain.

If I have any of my facts wrong, someone please correct me.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No.

less than 20% of games, and no games in the second half of the season.

It's my understanding that the 20% threshold applies to Division II. For Division I, it's 30%; for Division III, it's one-third.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
My understanding of the NCAA rule for medical hardship waivers is that the player cannot have played (a) in more than 30% of the team's contests for that season, nor (b) in any games in the second half of the season (as defined by number of contests).

For Boykin this is a very close call. She's played in only 6 games, so the 30% criterion is easily met. But her last game was against Purdue on January 7, which was Penn State's 16th game. This means (again, if I'm understanding the rule correctly) that PSU's season will need to consist of at least 32 games for her to satisfy the second-half-of-season criterion.

Penn State's regular season consists of 28 games. So, between the Big Ten tournament and the WNIT (and PSU will almost certainly receive a bid), PSU will need to play at least 4 postseason games. Certainly a possibility, since they'd only have to win one game in the Big Ten tournament and one WNIT game, but far from certain.

If I have any of my facts wrong, someone please correct me.

The only thing I would add is that, IIRC, they also add the first game of the conference tournament to the regular season total for an adjusted total of what constitutes the season for this purpose. From that, the 30% threshold is calculated. I may be wrong. Stamfordhusky offered clarity in the past, and might again.

It would really suck big time if she missed the cutoff. She seems to be "snake bit," as they say. I'm hoping for the best.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your comment and have probably written something similar myself on different occasions.

But we have to be careful judging a young person as if it's a binary "buying in" or not. We only know her as a basketball talent; we don't know the other challenges or the full complexity of her life (as all of our lives are full of challenges and complexity). She very well may be in need of compassion and understanding.
Who isn't?

Plebe

Reaction Score
The only thing I would add is that, IIRC, they also add the first game of the conference tournament to the regular season total for an adjusted total of what constitutes the season for this purpose. From that, the 30% threshold is calculated. I may be wrong. Stamfordhusky offered clarity in the past, and might again.

It would really suck big time if she missed the cutoff. She seems to be "snake bit," as they say. I'm hoping for the best.

Nerdy research alert: Okay, I had seen conflicting information about this issue of how a conference tournament or the NCAA or NIT tournament would count toward the season total for purposes of the 30% calculation. But here it is, straight from the NCAA Division I Manual:

12.8.4.3.6.1.1.1 Conference Championships. A conference championship shall be counted as one contest or date of competition in determining the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in that sport, regardless of the number of days or games involved in the championship. However, for purposes of this regulation, the calculation of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in a particular season does not include postseason competition conducted after the completion of the institution’s regular-season schedule and conference tournament [emphasis mine]. http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D117.pdf
So basically, no redshirt for Boykin. Once she played past the 14th game of a 29-contest season, she was done. But hey, she will be finishing her second year of college in a few months. Hopefully she can get healed up and play a solid three more years of college basketball.

Reaction Score
"“She’s done for the year,” Washington said. “She’s on crutches now, so that was a big blow [because] we were hoping to have her for the second half of the season.”

Poor kid. Though she left UConn, I think we all want these young ladies to succeed. And injuries are sad. Hope she gets well fast, and that she has a successful and fulfilling career at Penn State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom