De'Janae Boykin | The Boneyard

De'Janae Boykin

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Penn State played the other day, but when I looked up the stats, De'Janae wasn't listed. She hasn't been listed in the stats for a while. Do anyone know what is going on with De'Janae Boykin?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has been considerable speculation on the BY relative to De'Janae Boykin's playing status at PSU. No need for me to add to the speculation.

The facts are that De'Janae was eligible to play at the end of the fall semester at PSU. She played in all 6 games during the winter break, and none of the games since the start of the spring break on Jan 9.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
De'Janae would have been a great help to this team if she bought into the UConn way. Her strength would have been rebounding and most likely would have taken minutes away from Natalie. She would have enabled Geno to give more rest to both Napheesa and Gabby. In the Maryland game she would have been a great help with both Gabby and Napheesa in foul trouble. However, it was not to be and unless she has injuries, so far hasn't been a success at PSU either.

Reaction Score
De'Janae would have been a great help to this team if she bought into the UConn way. Her strength would have been rebounding and most likely would have taken minutes away from Natalie. She would have enabled Geno to give more rest to both Napheesa and Gabby. In the Maryland game she would have been a great help with both Gabby and Napheesa in foul trouble. However, it was not to be and unless she has injuries, so far hasn't been a success at PSU either.
I appreciate your comment and have probably written something similar myself on different occasions.

But we have to be careful judging a young person as if it's a binary "buying in" or not. We only know her as a basketball talent; we don't know the other challenges or the full complexity of her life (as all of our lives are full of challenges and complexity). She very well may be in need of compassion and understanding.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

Reaction Score
Penn State should put out a press release explaining her status. Simple. If a player doesn't play, or if a player's status has somehow been altered, the university, through the PR department, let's people know.

Should be a simple matter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Penn State should put out a press release explaining her status. Simple. If a player doesn't play, or if a player's status has somehow been altered, the university, through the PR department, let's people know. Should be a simple matter.
Why, to satisfy some morbid curiosity?
This is NONE of our Business!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I found a Graham Hayes piece on the Penn State rebuild that mentions De'Janae dated Jan. 6.
Also mentions that Kia Nurse was a prime recruit of their's that didn't come through.....forgot that.
So, what every happened...or didn't happen is less than a month old.

Reaction Score
Watched her play a game I'm sure it was sometime this month,and she looked really good. Active around the basket and athletic. Reminded me of Napheesa in the way she is active and their rebound forms looked similar. I thought to myself how much she would have helped us. She looked like she was on her way to a lean but muscular build and she was oozing potential. From what I saw she would have taken all of Natalie's minutes and then some. And I like what Natalie brings.

Reaction Score
Why, to satisfy some morbid curiosity?
This is NONE of our Business!

This is what athletic departments do in every university in every sport. They make clear if a student-athlete is hurt or ineligible or whatever. If a player suddenly does not play, the media ask the question, and it is answered. This is not prying into someone's private life.

It's simple.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is what athletic departments do in every university in every sport. They make clear if a student-athlete is hurt or ineligible or whatever. If a player suddenly does not play, the media ask the question, and it is answered. This is not prying into someone's private life.

It's simple.
Wrong!
A university has no obligation to report injuries to anyone unless the injuries is deemed to be catastrophic. Some university have a stated policy to never discuss
Catastrophic injury reporting requirement starts Aug. 1
Because of the variety of insurance programs for injured athletes across the US, and mostly revolving around who pays and for how long some schools have instituted policies NOT to talk about any injuries.
This article touches on the entire mess. During a recent I believe National Semi-Final football game the announcer was informed that the reason they do not have a update on the status of a player injured earlier in the game is because it is the policy of that university to NOT talk about ANY injury.
At universities, how athletes are insured for injuries varies

Certification to play (eligibility) is conducted as a team by the conferences. Basketball actually certifies twice a year because it plays across two semesters. A university has an obligation to report ineligible players to anyone except the conference which certifies the team.

Not so simple is it?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Why are some BY'ers so concerned about a player who left Connecticut over a year ago? How is whether or not she's playing at PSU relevant to Connecticut's historic season? Wouldn't your energy be better served on your own team and the players that are currently at Connecticut. There are no Kentucky fans on the tOSU Boards worrying about Linnae Harper or Heels fans concerned about the game-to-game status of Mavunga. I've seen several threads on BY regarding Boykin and I can never understand it, she left Connecticut and her reasons are no one's business but hers and the program's at this point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why are some BY'ers so concerned about a player who left Connecticut over a year ago? How is whether or not she's playing at PSU relevant to Connecticut's historic season? Wouldn't your energy be better served on your own team and the players that are currently at Connecticut. There are no Kentucky fans on the tOSU Boards worrying about Linnae Harper or Heels fans concerned about the game-to-game status of Mavunga. I've seen several threads on BY regarding Boykin and I can never understand it, she left Connecticut and her reasons are no one's business but hers and the program's at this point.
It really doesn't take any energy to spend 15 seconds to read (or reply to) a thread or post about a former player who was recruited to UCONN, but who subsequently left, and now is not playing for her new team after being eligible and playing 6 or so games previous.

Just like we all followed Michala Johnson, Samarie Walker, Lauren Engeln, Brianna Banks, Sadie Edwards and Elena Della Donne. It's really not a mystery why UCONN fans might be interested in how come of these kids are doing, and if there is something unusual, to ask about it. It's really not a mystery at all... :rolleyes:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I follow all the Huskies current, former or alumni. If they are playing basketball I like to know how they are doing. I followed Banks, Walker, Della Donne, Edwards and Boykin their college career, and I follow the Huskies when they turn pro.

What's the motto:
Once a Husky, always a Husky

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Some BY are fans of WCBB not just UCONN. Many more BY wish former UCONN player well when they leave. There is nothing wrong with the expressing concern about how D'Janae Boykin is doing. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's fine to ask about a transfer etc. but to beat a dead horse demanding an explanation is rather silly. All the above players were playing, not on the sideline injuried, academically ineligible etc. so the situations are different.

Does anyone know what Samarie is doing these days? What about MJohnson?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wrong!
A university has no obligation to report injuries to anyone unless the injuries is deemed to be catastrophic. Some university have a stated policy to never discuss
Catastrophic injury reporting requirement starts Aug. 1
Because of the variety of insurance programs for injured athletes across the US, and mostly revolving around who pays and for how long some schools have instituted policies NOT to talk about any injuries.
This article touches on the entire mess. During a recent I believe National Semi-Final football game the announcer was informed that the reason they do not have a update on the status of a player injured earlier in the game is because it is the policy of that university to NOT talk about ANY injury.
At universities, how athletes are insured for injuries varies

Certification to play (eligibility) is conducted as a team by the conferences. Basketball actually certifies twice a year because it plays across two semesters. A university has an obligation to report ineligible players to anyone except the conference which certifies the team.

Not so simple is it?

You're confusing "obligation" with (very reasonable) "expectation" on the part of the public. Of course there is no obligation, and we have had many threads in the past about how the student-athlete, and in turn the coach or the AD or the communications staff, does not have to give out ANYTHING unless they feel like it. But it doesn't make it any less odd if precisely zero comment is given out on someone's extended absence.

Geno doesn't have to give out squat, either. But he chooses to, even in delicate situations like the Samarie Walker situation. He didn't go into detail, but he at least made mention of it, giving the strong impression that he didn't have much to say and likely wouldn't. Something along the lines of, "Yeah, she's working through some stuff. We hope to have her back soon." Or whatever. He didn't just flat ignore the issue.

Nan and the mods have made it abundantly clear that fans have no "rights" to personal or medical information. However, this is entirely distinct from having an expectation, formed in large part by the many athletic departments and coaches over the years and how they have chosen to communicate with the public and the fans, that someone would at least mention it and acknowledge the fact that there is an elephant sitting in the middle of the press room after a game. This is not the same thing as giving out personal & confidential info. No need to talk about being "morbid" here.

Fairfield Fan is exactly right. PSU or the coach should make a brief comment, however obscure, about the situation. Do they *have* to? Nope, not at all, so if they don't, then oh well, and it's not keeping me up at night. But there is no need to talk about "morbid" senses of curiosity. The implications of that kind of language are offensive. Some folks simply wonder what is going on. If on one hand we expect any major program to put up web pages on their athletes, maintain twitter feeds to talk about the program, help reporters put together stories as they cover the team throughtout the year and even in the off-season, it should come as no surprise that fans would have a distinctly non-morbid sense of bewilderment when players go missing.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Some BY are fans of WCBB not just UCONN. Many more BY wish former UCONN player well when they leave. There is nothing wrong with the expressing concern about how D'Janae Boykin is doing. [ ]
I've seen nothing on this thread on any of the others I've seen on this Board that could remotely be considered well wishes, there were the almost obligatory well wishes when her departure was announced, but none of that since. There are no well wishes on this current thread, just questions about whether or not she's playing and her appearance in box scores.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've seen nothing on this thread on any of the others I've seen on this Board that could remotely be considered well wishes, there were the almost obligatory well wishes when her departure was announced, but none of that since. There are no well wishes on this current thread, just questions about whether or not she's playing and her appearance in box scores.
That is not correct. Check outside of this thread and you will find regular updates about former UCONN players. The last one was about Sadie Edwards playing well in an upset of ASU. Specific to Boykin the concern (can't remember if it was this thread) started the very day after her name failed to appear in a box score against Maryland.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

So how is Sierra Calhoun doing so far this year? :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom