De'Janae Boykin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

De'Janae Boykin

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That is not correct. Check outside of this thread and you will find regular updates about former UCONN players. The last one was about Sadie Edwards playing well in an upset of ASU. Specific to Boykin the concern (can't remember if it was this thread) started the very day after her name failed to appear in a box score against Maryland.
Man CC, you're getting feisty in your young/old age.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Man CC, you're getting feisty in your young/old age.
You are not even seeing the best/worst parts because thankfully the moderators have deleted them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You're confusing "obligation" with (very reasonable) "expectation" on the part of the public. Of course there is no obligation, and we have had many threads in the past about how the student-athlete, and in turn the coach or the AD or the communications staff, does not have to give out ANYTHING unless they feel like it. But it doesn't make it any less odd if precisely zero comment is given out on someone's extended absence.

Geno doesn't have to give out squat, either. But he chooses to, even in delicate situations like the Samarie Walker situation. He didn't go into detail, but he at least made mention of it, giving the strong impression that he didn't have much to say and likely wouldn't. Something along the lines of, "Yeah, she's working through some stuff. We hope to have her back soon." Or whatever. He didn't just flat ignore the issue.

Nan and the mods have made it abundantly clear that fans have no "rights" to personal or medical information. However, this is entirely distinct from having an expectation, formed in large part by the many athletic departments and coaches over the years and how they have chosen to communicate with the public and the fans, that someone would at least mention it and acknowledge the fact that there is an elephant sitting in the middle of the press room after a game. This is not the same thing as giving out personal & confidential info. No need to talk about being "morbid" here.

Fairfield Fan is exactly right. PSU or the coach should make a brief comment, however obscure, about the situation. Do they *have* to? Nope, not at all, so if they don't, then oh well, and it's not keeping me up at night. But there is no need to talk about "morbid" senses of curiosity. The implications of that kind of language are offensive. Some folks simply wonder what is going on. If on one hand we expect any major program to put up web pages on their athletes, maintain twitter feeds to talk about the program, help reporters put together stories as they cover the team throughtout the year and even in the off-season, it should come as no surprise that fans would have a distinctly non-morbid sense of bewilderment when players go missing.

@VAMike23 I'm not confused at all. The use of the word obligation was deliberate and what you are describing is the UCONN specific practice.
I have a hard time, in fact disagree, with the though that PSU should adopt the UCONN practice(s). That school of all schools (I am thinking Sandusky) is probably best served doing what they are obligated to do & no more. I have no idea how PSU has handled injuries in the past, thus I would feel rather pompous asking them to do it the UCONN way. Also consider the possibility that a statement might generate more questions than it was intended to answer.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You are not even seeing the best/worst parts because thankfully the moderators have deleted them.
I'm now putting in a request to all moderators to reinstate all of Coco's previously deleted posts. This kind of entertainment should never be deleted (sound of fist shaking)!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm now putting in a request to all moderators to reinstate all of Coco's previously deleted posts. This kind of entertainment should never be deleted (sound of fist shaking)!
I'm not too proud to say that I'm occasionally in need of adult supervision & grateful to our moderators for providing it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm not too proud to say that I'm occasionally in need of adult supervision & grateful to our moderators for providing it.
Well I certainly am not. And I'm finally feeling my handlers are coming around to my point of view.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your comment and have probably written something similar myself on different occasions.

But we have to be careful judging a young person as if it's a binary "buying in" or not. We only know her as a basketball talent; we don't know the other challenges or the full complexity of her life (as all of our lives are full of challenges and complexity). She very well may be in need of compassion and understanding.
I won't guarantee it--but--every kid struggling with every aspect of WCBB life needs the compassion and understanding you suggest.
Good words Mr. Bag!!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
@VAMike23 what you are describing is the UCONN specific practice.

To me, what I am describing is the norm for D1 programs I've followed. I went to Iowa State - there were plenty of instances where things would happen with players in the MBB and FB programs (I didn't follow WBB at the time) with respect to both injuries and off the court "issues." Particularly with basketball, the fan following was very strong. The AD and coaching staff were always communicating with the public. They didn't have to share everything and sometimes they would share very little, but they would at least address situations rather than leave a bunch of dead air hanging around.

Other programs in the Big 8 / Big 12 seemed to behave similarly. And as far as I can tell, this is how other MBB and WBB programs work as well, in my experience watching sports coverage over time. Acknowledging that there is a situation is not the same as disclosing confidential info. Maybe PSU is an outlier due to their past experience. I don't know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well I certainly am not. And I'm finally feeling my handlers are coming around to my point of view.
I'm not sure if that's what you intend but why am I suddenly remembering every scene from "One flew over the Cuckoo's nest"?

Reaction Score
@VAMike23 I'm not confused at all. The use of the word obligation was deliberate and what you are describing is the UCONN specific practice.
I have a hard time, in fact disagree, with the though that PSU should adopt the UCONN practice(s). That school of all schools (I am thinking Sandusky) is probably best served doing what they are obligated to do & no more. I have no idea how PSU has handled injuries in the past, thus I would feel rather pompous asking them to do it the UCONN way. Also consider the possibility that a statement might generate more questions than it was intended to answer.
The problem we have as Uconn fans (and this happens to some Americans) is to except things to be done the "right" way. Our way!!

Reaction Score
I've seen nothing on this thread on any of the others I've seen on this Board that could remotely be considered well wishes, there were the almost obligatory well wishes when her departure was announced, but none of that since. There are no well wishes on this current thread, just questions about whether or not she's playing and her appearance in box scores.
Read Bags!!

Reaction Score
This is what athletic departments do in every university in every sport. They make clear if a student-athlete is hurt or ineligible or whatever. If a player suddenly does not play, the media ask the question, and it is answered. This is not prying into someone's private life.

It's simple.

That is somewhat true for power conferences, but not true for D1 mid majors and certainly not true for D2/D3. Many injuries and most other issues will never be disclosed. For example, three of Boston University's male basketball players have been suspended since early December. But there has not been one word from the University or from the newspapers about it. For another example, Holy Cross's top freshman recruit only dressed for one game, and then was never seen again. The only announcement was in late December, When Holy Cross announced he had been expelled. No reason given.

Note: Neither Boston or Holy Cross ever even mentioned the suspensions. That was only inferred by close observers when none of them was on or near the bench at games and none was involved in any team functions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me, what I am describing is the norm for D1 programs I've followed. I went to Iowa State - there were plenty of instances where things would happen with players in the MBB and FB programs (I didn't follow WBB at the time) with respect to both injuries and off the court "issues." Particularly with basketball, the fan following was very strong. The AD and coaching staff were always communicating with the public. They didn't have to share everything and sometimes they would share very little, but they would at least address situations rather than leave a bunch of dead air hanging around.
Other programs in the Big 8 / Big 12 seemed to behave similarly. And as far as I can tell, this is how other MBB and WBB programs work as well, in my experience watching sports coverage over time. Acknowledging that there is a situation is not the same as disclosing confidential info. Maybe PSU is an outlier due to their past experience. I don't know.
I'm not so sure if PSU is an outlier. I agree that the expectation you are suggesting was and should be the norm, but these times are a changing.
BTW My daughter played at Iowa State in 2012 right after Christmas. Amazing people & players and very supportive of WBB program. The game was mostly sold out and there were only a handful of parents with her team so we decided to sit behind our girls bench. Right before the game started this very nice couple came and got us and put us at center court in the middle action in seats of season ticket holders that weren't going to be there. By halftime we had directions to the after game spot for BBQ and beer. It was awesome!

JS

Reaction Score
sign-unfit-for-human-consumption.jpg
P.S. What does a shaking fist sound like? Is it holding a rattle?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No need to talk about being "morbid" here.
But there is no need to talk about "morbid" senses of curiosity. The implications of that kind of language are offensive. Some folks simply wonder what is going on.
I see where the use of that word could have taken things left & therefore regret it. Perhaps the use of a suitable synonym or the omission of the word entirely would have made for better dialogue.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure if PSU is an outlier. I agree that the expectation you are suggesting was and should be the norm, but these times are a changing.
BTW My daughter played at Iowa State in 2012 right after Christmas. Amazing people & players and very supportive of WBB program. The game was mostly sold out and there were only a handful of parents with her team so we decided to sit behind our girls bench. Right before the game started this very nice couple came and got us and put us at center court in the middle action in seats of season ticket holders that weren't going to be there. By halftime we had directions to the after game spot for BBQ and beer. It was awesome!

I'm proud of my fellow Cyclone fans for being so kind ! And Hilton has always been a great place for BB!

I'm wondering if they possibly directed you to Hickory Park on South Duff....? ::::salivating at the memories yummmmmm:::: If so, I bet you slept well :cool:

Hickory Park

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm proud of my fellow Cyclone fans for being so kind ! And Hilton has always been a great place for BB!

I'm wondering if they possibly directed you to Hickory Park on South Duff....? ::::salivating at the memories yummmmmm:::: If so, I bet you slept well :cool:

Hickory Park
Yup that's the spot! I had the Chicken and rib combo. Slept real good.
I sent my daughter the link just to confirm ,and instantly it was sent to her teammates.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yup that's the spot! I had the Chicken and rib combo. Slept real good.
I sent my daughter the link just to confirm ,and instantly it was sent to her teammates.

Haven't been there for 20+ years but I can still remember that combo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Washed down with a cold brew. Lowdy.

:::::booking flight to Ames:::::::

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sometimes by watching a team's games we can find out information about player absences that we don't otherwise get through media releases or news stories. (Or at the least you can visually scan the bench to see if she's there and, if so, how she's dressed.)

If someone who gets the Big Ten Network is curious enough, I'd suggest tuning in tomorrow when PSU plays Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to get into speculation (it gets me in trouble on here ;)). Most importantly for me is that De'Janae is okay and she gets back to playing basketball. I just wanna see her play!!!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As I posted in the other thread - schools do not necessarily explain anything.

At U of A, one of the men's basketball players did not play at all for the first semester and there was a lot of speculation in the local paper. U of A never mentioned the situation at all, except once to say they were not going to talk about it. When he didn't begin to play in January, it was he, himself, who finally spoke to the press. As I stated there, it turned out that he had a banned substance in a test, the NCAA investigated and found that it was inadvertent treatment for an injury. No suspension was issued, however, he was forbidden from playing until the drug was completely out of his system, which it now (late January) is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom