Defense/Crocker | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Defense/Crocker

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The way they'd likely beat is for long yardage and probably some TDs. I've become convinced that we don't have the personnel for tight man to man coverage. We've seen QBs pick us apart whenever they spot it.

It's pretty difficult for DB's to cover receivers for five seconds or longer, even when you have quality corners and safeties. The combination of no pressure on the QB from our DL, and inexperienced cover guys in the DB, makes for a Molotov cocktail of defensive implosion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In that case, one needs to solve the issue of why the lock didn't work. One doesn't say, "Oh well, can't be fixed." The first place to start is the locksmith, not the stereo guy... ;)
The stereo guy sells units with detachable face plates. Just saying. ;)

Reaction Score
The point of me posting that video was not to highlight those 3 players, but to point out that pretty much everyone is running some version of the nickel (4-2, or 3-3) almost all of the time. Even the old school Nick Saban is running 5 DB's 80% of the time.

People are going nuts about the 3-3-5 as if its a novelty or a gimmick D, but we were one of the few not using it (or a version of it) the past few years. That's how we ended up with so many slow LB's (sometimes even DE's) covering receivers so often. It's just not the right way to look at this.

We need a MAJOR upgrade at LB, and DE. We need faster players who can shed blocks, and take the correct angles to the QB. Better first steps, and a move or 2 that works against an o-lineman. We need to rush the passer better so we're not leaving the DB's out there to cover for 6 seconds. Even the best DB's lose their man under those circumstances. This is not to absolve the DB's of their responsibilities...they have been terrible, but we need pretty much everything but a scheme change. The scheme is finally "of this century".

And im not letting Crocker and the defensive staff off the hook either. They need to make the guys we have better, for sure. Otherwise what the hell are they doing all week, and the offseason.

We have 3 healthy scholarship DT's on the roster, and 1 of them is a true frosh that needs t0 redshirt. A 4-man front just isnt viable right now.
Watched the last Bama game and they were in a 4 front a lot. I don't care what D alignment we use in as much as we can't cover for any extended period of time in a pass prevent D and allowing uncontested pass and catch lanes on bubble screens with coverage 7-10 yards off the wideout. The friggin flaws are so patently obvious and exploited every damn week. If I'm an OC I run spread and exploit the bubble mercilessly and exploit the 3 deep LBs in the middle all day long. There is not enough personnel in the box. If our guys are young and inexperienced who the heck decides to make them the backbone. If they have no tenacity, why would you again put success in the hands of the timid? It's like putting your 7,8 ,9 hitters in the 2, 3 and 4 holes and wondering why no runs are getting generated. This is nonsense and a incredibly poor job by the D.C. 4 of the DBs are between 170-195lbs (the 5th - light tweener at 210). Of course they going to get physically dominated. They can't blitz in the interior (one of the keys to a 3-3, is bring pressure or gap fill from anywhere) or provide meaningful run stop support. So they are asked to be run stop and cover. There is loads of speed on the field. There is no physicality or football skills on the field. Totally wrong D for what we have. But, arrogance runs supreme. Let's see if Crocker has enough sense to at least have the DBs contest the LOS and put a 4th LB type on the field playing strong side contain.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reminds me of Barry Switzer ;)

>>It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room. -- Barry Switzer<<

And despite that anecdote, he and his agent went into the Oklahoma's AD office and explained why he was worth more than the next guy... ;)

Reaction Score
4 of the DBs are between 170-195lbs (the 5th - light tweener at 210). Of course they going to get physically dominated.

I don't think they are that under-sized: Avg D1 DB is 6-0 185 (physicality is another issue)

Temple Depth Chart:
Omar Fortt 6-1, 190
Anthony Watkins 5-10, 197

Jamar Summers, 6-0, 190
Jordan Swann 5-10, 180

Brayden Brown 6-1, 192
Tyler Coyle 6-1, 202

Marshe Terry 6-4, 212
John Robinson IV 6-2, 195

Tre Bell 5-11, 175
Kyle Williams 5-7, 170 (PWO)

Injured:
Brice McAllister 5-11, 189
Tahj Herring-Wilson 6-1, 190
Ian Swenson 6-1, 197

FWIW:
Jasper Howard - 180lb
Darius Butler - 187lb
Blidi Wreh- Wilson - 190lb
Jahvon Williams - 192lb
Andrew Adams -198lb
Byron Jones - 198lb

Reaction Score
I think you want your safeties to be more of a S/LB hybrid. Think 220-230 with + speed.

We can want a lot of things... pretty sure Obi was only 215 change when he graduated. Branch was like 200 as a senior but hit like a swinging anvil.

There is no defending the game day performance of the D though... it’s just not one thing/person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom