Deep Dive on Piath on the court by Connolly | The Boneyard

Deep Dive on Piath on the court by Connolly

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The importance of another true Big, who can run the court, defend the post and rebound can not be overemphasized. Piath is Jamelle’s greatest challenge, and could be her greatest success when all is said and done.

I had hoped that she might earn some meaningful PT by the end of last season. But it’s probably more reasonable to expect meaningful minutes for Piath to occur during her junior season. I’m rooting for her.

Reaction Score
PG certainly seems willing......not sure she will ever be a major part of the program but she's big and she's got five fouls to give against big opponents............I hope she sees a bit more playing time but that's going to e tough next season.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wish Piath well and hopes she proves me wrong. Daniel used the word if too many times in reference to Piath to realistically generate any hope that Piath will be a UCONN contributor soon. My perspective has not been changed since she signed with UCONN. That perspective is that Piath got started too late (15 Year old) in basketball did not play in a competitive enough HS or AAU basketball to make an impact at UCONN. Additionally UCONN WBB does not have the luxury of waiting for a player to develop when teams like SC, Stanford, Maryland and Louisville are tooling up with front court players that are in the same class as Piath but significantly more skilled and contributing now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Assuming that Liv & Dorka head to the W after next season, that leaves only Amari and Piath as true posts, unless another is added to UConn’s roster. Aaliyah & Ice are more in the PF mold. So there would definitely be PT available for Piath as a junior if she is able to step up and take it.

Reaction Score
I am pulling for her and she showed a little something this past year. But, she certainly has a long way to go. On the other hand, you cant teach size and athleticism.

At some point, I am hopeful she can give us something and I think she will. I assume GA thinks the same since he gave her a scholly. If nothing else, our players have a big kid with athleticism to practice against every day and that by itself should make us better.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I am reminded of Hilton Armstrong on the men’s side, a 6’11” project buried behind centers during the era when UConn perennially led the nation in blocks. He did not see much playing time until his senior year, when his star shown brightly and became a crucial contributor that kept our block party going.

May Gabriel follow a similar trajectory.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Many coaches, including Geno, have said that "bigs" take longer to develop and learn the college game, whether it be the speed of, read and reacting, etc. It's both physical and mental, and some of UConn's frosh have come in with either these things, however not many have had both facets. If Piath continues to make strides each season, she will be a good contributor.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She’s really long and has appeared to work really hard in the minutes she got. If she can cut down on the fouls, she could help clog up the lane against opponents like So Carolina. Making Boston and Cardoso jump shooters against a long 6-5 immovable object would be awesome. I’d sign up for that.

Reaction Score
Assuming that Liv & Dorka head to the W after next season, that leaves only Amari and Piath as true posts, unless another is added to UConn’s roster. Aaliyah & Ice are more in the PF mold. So there would definitely be PT available for Piath as a junior if she is able to step up and take it.
Add Patterson to that list and she is still fifth on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
Excellent, thoughtful article. I like Piath and hope that as a junior, but more likely a senior will be able to contribute in a more meaningful way. She clearly has the work ethic and body frame that’s needed. Let’s hope time doesn’t run out before she reaches her potential.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice article and nice to see Piath getting some press. Developmental post but with a thirst for knowledge and coaching is great to have on the team. I suspect her time will come as a junior/senior. She has a good team around her to help her develop.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The PF is a post position and UCONN is projected to have 5 players (Amari, Ice, Aaliyah, Mir, and Ayanna) contending for those two positions against Piath in 22-23 season. That is the same number of players (5) (Dorka, Amari, Mir, Aaliyah, ONO) which Piath will have competing against for minutes this season. Mir logged more than 3x the minutes that Piath got last year exclusively at the PF position. There is also Aubrey and Saylor to consider for minutes at the PF position in lieu of Paith.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a terrific article. Not only does the writer do a deep dive into her journey over the course of the season, but also has video snips of what is being discussed. The coaches should take that article and review it with Piath. What I mean is it's a really good article. But i'm sure the coaches and the video team have their own way of reviewing stuff. Still, great article.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The PF is a post position and UCONN is projected to have 5 players (Amari, Ice, Aaliyah, Mir, and Ayanna) contending for those two positions against Piath in 22-23 season. That is the same number of players (5) (Dorka, Amari, Mir, Aaliyah, ONO) which Piath will have competing against for minutes this season. Mir logged more than 3x the minutes that Piath got last year exclusively at the PF position. There is also Aubrey and Saylor to consider for minutes at the PF position in lieu of Paith.
In most games, the players you list will do just fine. But consider a matchup vs SC with Boston, Cardoso & Amihere, or one vs Stanford with Brink, Prechtel & Betts. I’d much rather have several 6’5” players to battle in the paint than counting on someone like Mir.

Let’s see what happens with Piath’s development over the next year or so before we discount her ability to provide meaningful minutes in games against teams with real size in the post.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Piath is a true BTB center in the mold of Kara Wolters (not current skill level, but style) and its hard to picture her developing any outside game in the time she has left at UConn. That will be fine as long as she can master all the basic low-post skills - Defense: move feet, hands high, verticality, box out, attack the rebound, outlet pass, RUN! Offense: screen, cut HARD to the paint, keep hands and the ball high, FOOTWORK, finish through contact.

I think she has a ton of potential and I hope she's got an off-season trainer (or at least a training partner and a professionally-developed program) and is devoting 2-4 hours every day to the work.

PS- She should have Kevin McHale / Bill Walton post moves videos on continuous loop in every room of her house. :p Those guys were absolute masters of the low-post.

1620144059659.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In most games, the players you list will do just fine. But consider a matchup vs SC with Boston, Cardoso & Amihere, or one vs Stanford with Brink, Prechtel & Betts. I’d much rather have several 6’5” players to battle in the paint than counting on someone like Mir.

Let’s see what happens with Piath’s development over the next year or so before we discount her ability to provide meaningful minutes in games against teams with real size in the post.
Piath is a long way from being ready to contribute in a matchups against SC or Stanford as you and @HuskyNan are both hoping.
There is actual basketball skill required besides being 6'5" to make a contribution in these games. It is not like UCONN couldn't have used a skilled 6'5" contributor this season instead of having to go get a transfer. BTW Mir did an excellent job of guarding Cardoso in AAU basketball when MIr and Reese of MD were matched up against Cardoso and Cochrane who is now at Louisville. Mir is currently ahead of Piath in the rotation and she can be developed also.

Reaction Score
I wish Piath well and hopes she proves me wrong. Daniel used the word if too many times in reference to Piath to realistically generate any hope that Piath will be a UCONN contributor soon. My perspective has not been changed since she signed with UCONN. That perspective is that Piath got started too late (15 Year old) in basketball did not play in a competitive enough HS or AAU basketball to make an impact at UCONN. Additionally UCONN WBB does not have the luxury of waiting for a player to develop when teams like SC, Stanford, Maryland and Louisville are tooling up with front court players that are in the same class as Piath but significantly more skilled and contributing now.
Your perspective is correct IMO and that is why I don’t see her PT situation changing much during her time at UConn. In the next to last paragraph Connolly mentioned “barring a massive leap during the summer”. I doubt that she’s getting what she needs for that. To make a leap she needs to find some serious competition against players near her size a couple times a week along with some competent instruction while away from the UConn coaches. Without that I can’t see her being able to make up the gap in her development. From experience I know that combo isn’t readily available in NH during the summer. I wish her well.

Reaction Score

I agree with you oldude. It is a bit of a long shot but if she can give us a few minutes a game, that would be helpful. she doesn't need to score as I think we will have plenty of that next year. Rebound, defend, set picks and know what to do. I think other bigs may find it harder to score against Piath than a player 4-5 inches shorter. But, from what I saw last year, she is a bit naive when it comes to knowing how to defend. She can be out-manoeuvred, not because she has limited athleticism, but because she just doesn't have the experience to defend skilled D1 players.....yet...

That said, she is still 6'5 and has good athleticism which can cure a lot of ills.

No harm in hoping for the best, which in my view, isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Piath is a long way from being ready to contribute in a matchups against SC or Stanford as you and @HuskyNan are both hoping.
There is actual basketball skill required besides being 6'5" to make a contribution in these games. It is not like UCONN couldn't have used a skilled 6'5" contributor this season instead of having to go get a transfer. BTW Mir did an excellent job of guarding Cardoso in AAU basketball when MIr and Reese of MD were matched up against Cardoso and Cochrane who is now at Louisville. Mir is currently ahead of Piath in the rotation and she can be developed also.
We get that. We’re doing a little daydreaming. What’s the harm? Not everyone needs their hopes doused with a cold pail of water.

On edit: I hear from people that rarely, if ever, post. They tell me that they’re afraid to post because they don’t want to appear “stupid” or ignorant. There are a lot of posters here that are very aggressive in defending their positions and those that must have the last word. Inexperienced posters are intimidated into silence. Please, let‘s be more accepting of people.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That’s fine, but I don’t get the point of continuing to point out all of Piath’s perceived weaknesses by some here on the BY. She’s a project. No one is suggesting anything different. But she is a 6’5” project who can run the court, has a great attitude and by all indications is working very hard to improve.

Geno recruited Piath, as did several other big time programs including Louisville. As a UConn fan, I am rooting for her to succeed, as I would for anyone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The discussion was regarding post players aka 4 and 5. As I mentioned before Mir Played exclusively at the 4 position last season. Mir is also currently ahead of Piath in the post rotation she has to be part of the conversation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom