OT: - Deck Materials | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Deck Materials

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If you are on Untappd, I have the same user name as here.
Just sent you a friend request! During the last 3 months we haven't been to any breweries so we've been hitting wine more, so not as many beers recently! (We had a lot of win leftover from 2 weddings we threw last year. Funny most of the beer is gone, just a few bottles of Arthur left!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My azek deck looks like that, except white bars on the sides. We do spray the deck every year with a mold remover or diluted clorox mix but still looks great.
What do the end cuts look like? Does the outside edge have a slot in it?

Reaction Score
Did the balusters come with the top and bottom rail? Or all separate? Putting in a deck next month and trying to see the options...thx
All separate

Then stamped deck rail brackets from home Depot are $0.98/each vs $2-5 for the metal/plastic brackets that cradle it. I've seen the full kits for around $100-150 for a 6' or 8' length but it's usually a soft pine where I preferred to just grab some KDAT redwood lumber.

Another good item is this water based sealer when using any cut lumber

My thought doing it this way with the 4x4 posts mounted on the inside of the deck skirt was if it turns to crap down the road and I decide to go composite you just slip the composite sleeve over the posts anyways and voila.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I promise I won’t rail (pun intended) on trex anymore. But I’ll say absolutely make sure you get the spacing right. My brother in-law just bought a half a million dollar house in Tolland with a giant trex pool deck. There’s no spacing at all in between the boards and they get so slippery it makes me so nervous when the kids get going on it

Reaction Score
All separate

Then stamped deck rail brackets from home Depot are $0.98/each vs $2-5 for the metal/plastic brackets that cradle it. I've seen the full kits for around $100-150 for a 6' or 8' length but it's usually a soft pine where I preferred to just grab some KDAT redwood lumber.

Another good item is this water based sealer when using any cut lumber

My thought doing it this way with the 4x4 posts mounted on the inside of the deck skirt was if it turns to crap down the road and I decide to go composite you just slip the composite sleeve over the posts anyways and voila.
Thanks for the detailed info...will def use this approach when I do my deck..Well done!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I promise I won’t rail (pun intended) on trex anymore. But I’ll say absolutely make sure you get the spacing right. My brother in-law just bought a half a million dollar house in Tolland with a giant trex pool deck. There’s no spacing at all in between the boards and they get so slippery it makes me so nervous when the kids get going on it
Let me know if someone gets hurt.

Reaction Score
I think you have to strongly consider the surroundings. If your deck is surrounded by green grass, straight lined house, clean railings (like the pic a few posts above) than a composite will look clean and nice. If your deck is surrounded by a lot of stone, gardens or plants, more antique of a house than a natural wood deck tends to enhance.
I built a composite deck on our first house but acquired an Ipe deck on our new house. Both have advantages, most already spoken about. Ipe is no picnic. I have to chemically clean, brighten and stain every year and sand and stain every 3 or 4 years. But it’s rich color is exceptional and worth it.

Reaction Score

Does composite have a reputation for being slippery? Ours is not at all. (Not sure why it insists on formatting incorrectly)
FA638834-8674-4179-A654-52ADC1B9D611.jpeg

Drumguy

Reaction Score
What do the end cuts look like? Does the outside edge have a slot in it?
No, it’s just a solid straight edge like wood! It’s a great product - they also sell little hole fillers so your deck has no nail holes. If you want some closeups I can take them tomorrow! We also went for the post top lights!
0496068E-D620-45A0-B1D3-B90FCE7CEC31.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
No, it’s just a solid straight edge like wood! It’s a great product - they also sell little hole fillers so your deck has no nail holes. If you want some closeups I can take them tomorrow! We also went for the post top lights! View attachment 55234
Yeah, I would definitely like to see more pictures. It came out terrific. How old did you say it was again? Did you do it yourself? Can you take some of the end grain in of the side of a board?

Reaction Score
I used Azek a few years ago w Camo screws that are hidden. Used the existing PT support I built 15 years prior. 12’x20’ deck near screened porch and pool. The Azek wasn’t that hot in the sun but I also have a large sun setter awning motorized for hot days.
0F547C93-1845-4B84-B348-A66C2F3BF903.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does composite have a reputation for being slippery? Ours is not at all. (Not sure why it insists on formatting incorrectly) View attachment 55231

Yes, it has that rep. More the PVC stuff like Azek according to my research. It has les of a textured grain to it.

As for pictures, I have no idea why this site only allows landscape pictures. It flips every portrait photo to landscape. I crop mine to make them square and it works. @temery

CL82

Reaction Score
I used Azek a few years ago w Camo screws that are hidden. Used the existing PT support I built 15 years prior. 12’x20’ deck near screened porch and pool. The Azek wasn’t that hot in the sun but I also have a large sun setter awning motorized for hot days. View attachment 55242
Nice! What color did you use?

(FYI, I have the same siding and the same Andersen French door. When I saw the picture I was like... wait...)

Curiouser
Reaction Score

(FYI, I have the same siding and the same Andersen French door. When I saw the picture I was like... wait...)
Lol. Same exact slider and Anderson French door for us, too.

Reaction Score
Timely thread. I’m currently looking to have a deck installed, as I only have an elevated three season room and a deteriorating patio underneath. I’m considering an elevated deck that would allow for access from my kitchen but have also thrown around the idea of keeping the stairs that currently lead to the grass but to a new floating/platform deck, which I assume would be a cheaper option.

Does anyone have experience with a floating/platform? My biggest concern is I don’t want a plain looking space, I’d like some nice design incorporated into it, such as levels/tiers, etc. I also have a very woodsy backyard with a Steep slope that would Likely require railing.

How did you all go about designing your deck? Any software out there that can assist?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I used Azek a few years ago w Camo screws that are hidden. Used the existing PT support I built 15 years prior. 12’x20’ deck near screened porch and pool. The Azek wasn’t that hot in the sun but I also have a large sun setter awning motorized for hot days. View attachment 55242

Lol. Same exact slider and Anderson French door for us, too.
So, assuming you guys have the sliding screens with the Anderson French doors going out to your deck, how many times have you had to replace the screen because someone didn't realize it was there and tried to walk through it?

I've become pretty skilled at repairing the little wheels on the bottom that are supposed to glide in that groove, and even surprised myself last week with one that I thought was beyond repair. I've easily had to do it at least a dozen times, and one time I had to replace an entire slider because the frame was damaged beyond repair. I cringe every time someone tries to walk through it, thinking it will be irreparable again. Took our newly-adopted dog a day or two to get used to it, too. She seems fine now, but I'll be curious to see if she runs though it once she sees a chipmunk or squirrel on the deck.

CL82

Reaction Score
So, assuming you guys have the sliding screens with the Anderson French doors going out to your deck, how many times have you had to replace the screen because someone didn't realize it was there and tried to walk through it?

I've become pretty skilled at repairing the little wheels on the bottom that are supposed to glide in that groove, and even surprised myself last week with one that I thought was beyond repair. I've easily had to do it at least a dozen times, and one time I had to replace an entire slider because the frame was damaged beyond repair. I cringe every time someone tries to walk through it, thinking it will be irreparable again. Took our newly-adopted dog a day or two to get used to it, too. She seems fine now, but I'll be curious to see if she runs though it once she sees a chipmunk or squirrel on the deck.
It hasn't been an issue for us, fortunately. There was a small puncture hole a the bottom left once but it was easy to patch.

I did just upgrade the handles/lock to match our kitchen hardware. Anderson marks them up ridiculously. Still, the door is probably 30 years old and is still going strong.

Reaction Score
Timely thread. I’m currently looking to have a deck installed, as I only have an elevated three season room and a deteriorating patio underneath. I’m considering an elevated deck that would allow for access from my kitchen but have also thrown around the idea of keeping the stairs that currently lead to the grass but to a new floating/platform deck, which I assume would be a cheaper option.

Does anyone have experience with a floating/platform? My biggest concern is I don’t want a plain looking space, I’d like some nice design incorporated into it, such as levels/tiers, etc. I also have a very woodsy backyard with a Steep slope that would Likely require railing.

How did you all go about designing your deck? Any software out there that can assist?

This design tool on Lowe's site helped a ton, and this was a useful book i picked up at some point:

Not really sure what you mean by a floating platform...it's got to be supported by something. I'm thinking maybe you mean using a deck block similar to this?

these are pretty nifty if it's just covering a flat grade similar to a poured slab...only a deck. Tons of DIY videos on youtube are super helpful too.

Reaction Score
No, it’s just a solid straight edge like wood! It’s a great product - they also sell little hole fillers so your deck has no nail holes. If you want some closeups I can take them tomorrow! We also went for the post top lights! View attachment 55234
Nice of you to build a deck for your dog! You forgot a spot for the doggie bed ;)

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I checked and didn't see a thread. I have a pressure treated deck 12x14 with patios on each side. It's as old as the house (1993). I'm tired of restaining it every year, the stain always chips. We have to shovel snow off of it and that does a number on it. Ideal color would be a driftwood grey. Deck is only about 24" above the ground.

Options:
  • Azek or similar all PVC boards. Contractor we initially called and have used before, likes this best. Plenty of colors. I think it tends to get hot, and can be slippery if wet. Not structural material, no more supports will need to be installed. Other thoughts?
  • Trex or similar composite. Looks a little better than PVC, but heavy and subject to mold and mildew. Not structural so more supports will be needed.
  • Ipe, Tigerwood or other tropical hardwood. Beautiful, but not the grey color we'd prefer. Lasts a long time. Cooler surfaces. Structural material uses existing supports. Very hard to work with and requires specialized tools.
Anybody put in a deck with any of these three? Thoughts?
I had a large deck with grey Trex in NJ which I installed 1998 and we sold the house in 2007. Never had a mold or mildew problem? We sunk a hot tub in it and I would warm the tub up then shovel around the deck (yes metal snow shovels didnt damage) once done shoveling would settle in for tub time! Liked the way deck screws self countersunk in the Trex and I think I remember once taking my neighbor's power washer to it after some staining due to fall foliage. I love Azek too though as I used that for all my trim on a house we built on the Cape. We had decks there too but used teak, which was okay but got slippery in ice and snow.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Yeah, I would definitely like to see more pictures. It came out terrific. How old did you say it was again? Did you do it yourself? Can you take some of the end grain in of the side of a board?
Sorry, had to run to work early this am, I'll take some pics when I get home later!

Drumguy

Reaction Score
ok, I took a few closeups of end grains, filled holes for the azek deck but the pictures are too large? Help!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom