OT: - Deck Materials | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Deck Materials

Reaction Score
Nice. I didn't like the look (or price) of the composite railings, so we did pressure treated railings with composite decking on top. I like the way you did it better.
Thanks. Ya, I actually have extra decking that I was planning to put on top of the railing, but when I got the railings up I liked it as is so decided against using the composite toppper...of course now I have several 20' lengths of trex decking just sitting in my garage. I've been lazy since I got the railings up, but eventually they'll have post skirts to cover my sloppy cuts, fascia board around the sides and post caps once I find ones I like...or just build some myself

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I dunno, I kinda like that juxtaposed to your house. It would really stand out and with all the tropical hardwoods you'll get some color change over time...or you could just paint your house! You can also try and tie the color back into the house and pavers a bit by being creative with the color(s) of the skirt, railing, bench, etc. Also, railings are stupid expensive if doing composite material vs 2x lumber. For reference I would have spent ~$2500-3000 just for the railing if I did composite vs just ~$500 by using lumber and staining and think it looks better anyways (pic for reference...and humble brag). If you haven't done the planning stuff yet I highly recommend using Lowe's deck builder software. Great resource to picture everything and get a ballpark on materials cost

I do agree though, the tropical hardwoods look fantastic. The hardwoods don't have to dry out as much either once they're delivered so you can get after it right away.

My wife is of course eyeballing the expensive wire instead of spindle railings. By code, at 24" I don't need a railing, but I want one anyway. Might go wood on the railing if it is cheaper.

Reaction Score
You won't even need those railings to do that. That's similar to what we did. Larger patio, deck and smaller patio on the other side. The small patio area is where my grill and smoker are. Worth asking if it would be cheaper than a large deck. This picture stinks but gives some idea. I like having multiple semi defined spaces. View attachment 55189
I like beer.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Ya, I actually have extra decking that I was planning to put on top of the railing, but when I got the railings up I liked it as is so decided against using the composite toppper...of course now I have several 20' lengths of trex decking just sitting in my garage. I've been lazy since I got the railings up, but eventually they'll have post skirts to cover my sloppy cuts, fascia board around the sides and post caps once I find ones I like...or just build some myself
My niece's husband rebuilt our deck, and used copper post caps. Came out nice.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My niece's husband rebuilt our deck, and used copper post caps. Came out nice.
That's what I did. It looked great bright and shiny and even better when it greened up.

Reaction Score
My wife is of course eyeballing the expensive wire instead of spindle railings. By code, at 24" I don't need a railing, but I want one anyway. Might go wood on the railing if it is cheaper.
I was in the same boat. Didn't need one by code, but with small kids and drunk friends I thought it for the best. My 2yr old actually took a dive this weekend off the small opening in the foreground of my pic (we'd been using a baby gate as a temporary door) when he charged through the gate and got his first bloody nose...so feeling good about the railing decision....and now a bit more of a rush on building the sliding barn style door for that opening

The wire railings look really nice but are definitely tougher to install. The stuff I got is just a contractor set of hollow aluminum spindles with the screw in caps on each side and the metal plates on the ends were like $0.98 stamped aluminum. They come out a little crooked since it's near impossible to get em perfect with warped lumber but for $0.98 who cares

Reaction Score
I was in the same boat. Didn't need one by code, but with small kids and drunk friends I thought it for the best. My 2yr old actually took a dive this weekend off the small opening in the foreground of my pic (we'd been using a baby gate as a temporary door) when he charged through the gate and got his first bloody nose...so feeling good about the railing decision....and now a bit more of a rush on building the sliding barn style door for that opening

The wire railings look really nice but are definitely tougher to install. The stuff I got is just a contractor set of hollow aluminum spindles with the screw in caps on each side and the metal plates on the ends were like $0.98 stamped aluminum. They come out a little crooked since it's near impossible to get em perfect with warped lumber but for $0.98 who cares
Railings look great. So that wasn’t a kit? Did You get the pieces at lowes/depot?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Timely.

Replacing a 15 year old deck with Trex Transcend. Rain collection system underneath so the patio underneath will remain dry.

6E88DFF5-C937-4E14-B83C-E3B3E96326C8.jpeg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I for one hate the look of trex and the composite stuff. I would much rather stain my wood deck every couple of years than have the ugly moldy pinkish orangey faded trex stuff.

Reaction Score
Railings look great. So that wasn’t a kit? Did You get the pieces at lowes/depot?
Thanks. Not a kit, but basically just bought the components separately that would've been in a kit. That way I could pick out my own lumber and not end up with the banana shaped stuff they put in the kits. Ended up being a little cheaper, too.

Timely.

Replacing a 15 year old deck with Trex Transcend. Rain collection system underneath so the patio underneath will remain dry.

View attachment 55216
I wish I'd done something like that in hindsight...probably won't need it since I kept the grade pretty steep away from the house but I ended up using an Australian product (adjustable joist support) to build out over a poured concrete patio so didn't have much clearance for anything else in the portion against the house (although it's covered so only gets wet in big storms)

Attachments

• Klevaklip.jpg
    Klevaklip.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I for one hate the look of trex and the composite stuff. I would much rather stain my wood deck every couple of years than have the ugly moldy pinkish orangey faded trex stuff.
Anti-Trexite

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is the look we are going for. I think it works better in composite than the redwood looking ones do.

residential-backyard-gray-composite-deck-260nw-1551891029.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks. Not a kit, but basically just bought the components separately that would've been in a kit. That way I could pick out my own lumber and not end up with the banana shaped stuff they put in the kits. Ended up being a little cheaper, too.
Did the balusters come with the top and bottom rail? Or all separate? Putting in a deck next month and trying to see the options...thx

Curiouser
Reaction Score

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is the look we are going for. I think it works better in composite than the redwood looking ones do.

residential-backyard-gray-composite-deck-260nw-1551891029.jpg
If I do a deck this is the way I would go. It is attractive and easy to maintain. I am not sure about metal on the railing. It does look nice.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Yeah. I take the pictures for Untappd. Outside when the weather permits. I'm assuming patio is cheaper than deck. Not positive. I like the multi-level aspect of it.

Contractor came by and will bring samples of deck material.
1st - we have an azek deck and other than washing the winter grime off looks the same as when we installed it 6 years ago.

2nd - I'm a big untappd fan. Currently at 708 unique beers (only drink good stuff). My son is at 4438 unique beers! Went to Portland OR a few years ago and I love how all the bars are set up for interacting with Untappd. Who's in the bar, reviews etc. They are much more advanced then we are in the east.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If I do a deck this is the way I would go. It is attractive and easy to maintain. I am not sure about metal on the railing. It does look nice.
My azek deck looks like that, except white bars on the sides. We do spray the deck every year with a mold remover or diluted clorox mix but still looks great.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why Trex Transcent?
Mostly it was the color, supposedly it’s their highest quality product (not sure I’d be able to tell from an A/B comparison with one of their other boards).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom