OT: - Deck Materials | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Deck Materials

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ok, I took a few closeups of end grains, filled holes for the azek deck but the pictures are too large? Help!
I think there are ways to scale down the size of the file but the easiest is just using snip and cutting down on the size of the photo.

Reaction Score

This design tool on Lowe's site helped a ton, and this was a useful book i picked up at some point:

Not really sure what you mean by a floating platform...it's got to be supported by something. I'm thinking maybe you mean using a deck block similar to this?

these are pretty nifty if it's just covering a flat grade similar to a poured slab...only a deck. Tons of DIY videos on youtube are super helpful too.

Personally, I liked Menards deck builder better than Lowe's. But depending on where people live they might prefer one to another.

Reaction Score
Why did you pick that instead of Trex? How's it wearing?

It was strongly recommended by my contractor. Same guy who did my kitchen. It’s been 4 years. It doesn’t heat up as much in the sun, and I haven’t seen any fading. Very good warranty.
Two boards lost their finish In a couple of spots (likely due to a deck chair that lost its plastic pad) and the company replaced them, no questions asked.

Reaction Score
I used Azek a few years ago w Camo screws that are hidden. Used the existing PT support I built 15 years prior. 12’x20’ deck near screened porch and pool. The Azek wasn’t that hot in the sun but I also have a large sun setter awning motorized for hot days. View attachment 55242
D3FC4344-3383-44E3-8DD5-152C6549B10E.jpeg

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I checked and didn't see a thread. I have a pressure treated deck 12x14 with patios on each side. It's as old as the house (1993). I'm tired of restaining it every year, the stain always chips. We have to shovel snow off of it and that does a number on it. Ideal color would be a driftwood grey. Deck is only about 24" above the ground.

Options:
  • Azek or similar all PVC boards. Contractor we initially called and have used before, likes this best. Plenty of colors. I think it tends to get hot, and can be slippery if wet. Not structural material, no more supports will need to be installed. Other thoughts?
  • Trex or similar composite. Looks a little better than PVC, but heavy and subject to mold and mildew. Not structural so more supports will be needed.
  • Ipe, Tigerwood or other tropical hardwood. Beautiful, but not the grey color we'd prefer. Lasts a long time. Cooler surfaces. Structural material uses existing supports. Very hard to work with and requires tools.
Anybody put in a deck with any of these three? Thoughts?
I just had a quote for my deck. Trex is the answer for me. My treated is rotting away. The frame is excellent still. However spindles railings are rotting away. I got taken. So, no permit needed since the frame will still be used. It is a replacement rather than rebuild. All to the tune of over $15K.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I looked at materials yesterday and I think I’ve decided on Azek vintage collection Coastline. I like that it isn’t just one color.

F4B23AED-2F58-4550-9377-220C501CD42C.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, assuming you guys have the sliding screens with the Anderson French doors going out to your deck, how many times have you had to replace the screen because someone didn't realize it was there and tried to walk through it?

I've become pretty skilled at repairing the little wheels on the bottom that are supposed to glide in that groove, and even surprised myself last week with one that I thought was beyond repair. I've easily had to do it at least a dozen times, and one time I had to replace an entire slider because the frame was damaged beyond repair. I cringe every time someone tries to walk through it, thinking it will be irreparable again. Took our newly-adopted dog a day or two to get used to it, too. She seems fine now, but I'll be curious to see if she runs though it once she sees a chipmunk or squirrel on the deck.

I seriously need help with this. Not the screen the door. Mine is constantly sticking. Wife found a repair kit but I don't really know how to get the door out of the frame to repair anything. As always, she just wants a new one even though it's fine aside from sticking.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I seriously need help with this. Not the screen the door. Mine is constantly sticking. Wife found a repair kit but I don't really know how to get the door out of the frame to repair anything. As always, she just wants a new one even though it's fine aside from sticking.
There are three micro-adjustments on the inside of each hinge that you need an Allen wrench to adjust. There are also adjustments on the top and bottom of each hinge, also requiring an Allen wrench. I wouldn't mess with those, though. Try the other ones and play around until you find the right swing and tension. I need to adjust mine a few times a year to account for humidity changes and wear.

CL82

Reaction Score
I had both a mason and deck guy out and I waiting to hear back on the bids. This is the leader for the deck colors:

1592927037481.png

Spiced rum trex transcend. @HuskyHawk, this is similar to what you are thinking about.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I had both a mason and deck guy out and I waiting to hear back on the bids. This is the leader for the deck colors:

View attachment 55680
Spiced rum trex transcend. @HuskyHawk, this is similar to what you are thinking about.

We are going with a grey color (Coastline), but similar railings. I've been trying to get a flat top rail (drink rail), but my contractor keeps saying those are all special order and expensive. It's driving me crazy. I don't really like those posts with caps. Looks more like a wood deck. But I'll probably be stuck with the standard rail.

Weyerhaeuser-Drink-Rail-Beauty-Shot.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

View attachment 55680
I was pushing for that Spiced Rum but we ended up with Havana Gold. Came out awesome. Whoever noted that Trex or composite gets hot... yes, yes it does. But other than that very very happy with it.
878DE811-1019-4416-B676-58B9F28493BF.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
We are going with a grey color (Coastline), but similar railings. I've been trying to get a flat top rail (drink rail), but my contractor keeps saying those are all special order and expensive. It's driving me crazy. I don't really like those posts with caps. Looks more like a wood deck. But I'll probably be stuck with the standard rail.

Weyerhaeuser-Drink-Rail-Beauty-Shot.jpg

I think it must be a PITA to install. My guys said he'd do it, but suggested away from it.

I started thinking grey but am leaning toward the spiced rum, today at least.

CL82

Reaction Score
I was pushing for that Spiced Rum but we ended up with Havana Gold. Came out awesome. Whoever noted that Trex or composite gets hot... yes, yes it does. But other than that very very happy with it.
View attachment 55686
That did come out great. One of the reasons I hesitate about the spiced rum is because of the heat. FWIW my contractor. says if it gets hot, to hose it off.

I was originally thinking all white railings too. Now I am debating going with a back aluminum rail.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think it must be a PITA to install. My guys said he'd do it, but suggested away from it.

I started thinking grey but am leaning toward the spiced rum, today at least.

If I wanted brown, I'd just go with tropical hardwood. Something like Tigerwood.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I hesitate about the spiced rum is because of the heat. FWIW my contractor. says if it gets hot, to hose it off.
Whatever the color of our TimberTech deck is called, we chose it because it was among the ones they advertised as "stays cooler." And it does.

CL82

Reaction Score
Whatever the color of our TimberTech deck is called, we chose it because it was among the ones they advertised as "stays cooler." And it does.
My guy crapped on TimberTech because he doesn't like their customer service (and apparently sunscreen can cause it to bleach out.
[shrugs]

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My guy crapped on TimberTech because he doesn't like their customer service (and apparently sunscreen can cause it to bleach out.
[shrugs]
Thankfully we haven’t needed to use their customer service and the sunscreen thing isn’t an issue for us. But I’d defer to what your contractor wants to use. Our contractor recommended them at the time but that was almost 17 years ago.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thankfully we haven’t needed to use their customer service and the sunscreen thing isn’t an issue for us. But I’d defer to what your contractor wants to use. Our contractor recommended them at the time but that was almost 17 years ago.
He had a longer story. It seemed like too much narrative (I'm sure you know what I mean) but in the end if I decide to work this guy, I'll use Transcend.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Looks nice.

Only because I did not see it mentioned, I went with Timbertech Terrain - Earthwood Evolutions (I don't know what it means) Color: Silver Maple

Did over 600 SF around the pool. Very happy with it. One shady spot gets mildewy, but a quick hose down or a heavy rain takes care of it. Not slippery when wet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom