Dec 12th Rankings [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Dec 12th Rankings [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Oregon should have dropped all the way to 8th.

Is there any doubt that UConn would humiliate Oregon if they ended up playing each other in the playoffs?

Baylor, which will rightfully be ranked number 3 this week, should make for an interesting game in that it is likely to show that, once again, during the regular season, UConn is in a league of their own.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is there any doubt that UConn would humiliate Oregon if they ended up playing each other in the playoffs?
Yes!
eye roll.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oregon drops to #7.
Michigan State enters at #23.
Drake falls out.

Reaction Score
Michigan State has a 6 point win over then #3 Oregon, a 4 point loss to #10 NC State and an 8-1 record overall and the best they get is a number 23 ranking?? If a team is 1-1 against top 10 teams and 7-0 against all others, a top 15 ranking or higher would seem in order.

Of course a team could be 0-2 against top 10 teams and be ranked #12. (see Texas)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Michigan State has a 6 point win over then #3 Oregon, a 4 point loss to #10 NC State and an 8-1 record overall and the best they get is a number 23 ranking?? If a team is 1-1 against top 10 teams and 7-0 against all others, a top 15 ranking or higher would seem in order.

Of course a team could be 0-2 against top 10 teams and be ranked #12. (see Texas)

It is rare to see any team leap-frog over teams that won their games for the week. To move up others must lose. It ain't right in my mind but it is the way it works.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oregon has a lot of talent, but I've watched them impload in each of the past two NCAA tournaments against good teams. I have to wonder just how good a coach Kelly Graves really is.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Texas lost a home game against Tennessee and not only did they retain their position, but Tennessee didn't change their ranking either. It's as if the game never happened...
That's the way I see it.

Reaction Score
I believe Baylor is the most dangerous team we will face. It seems to me that their strengths fit our weaknesses. If Pheesa and Lou have to bang with the Baylor bigs, the fouls will impact us more than them.

Reaction Score
I believe Baylor is the most dangerous team we will face. It seems to me that their strengths fit our weaknesses. If Pheesa and Lou have to bang with the Baylor bigs, the fouls will impact us more than them.

I agree....

But Baylor is not a match for UConn's Guard play or overall quickness.....as demonstrated in the ND game. Baylor does not match up well against UConn. Just imagine Brown or Cox having to guard Pheesa.

FORGET ABOUT IT!!!! Pheesa is going to have a field day while at the same time showing the WNBA GMs why she should be the top pick in next years draft.

I don't understand what it is that the UConn normally faithful are seeing in other teams this year and not seeing in UConn. UConn is not going to get seriously challenged until the final four, and only then because teams like ND, MS and Baylor will have had the advantage of being battle tested by much better competition then UConn faces in the month before the finals. And, maybe, not even then.

The chemistry, position skill and fit that the current UConn starting five has makes them a better team than the UConn teams of the past two years.

So, let's all enjoy another undefeated UConn season as it unfolds.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don’t forget. Baylor’s bigs have to cover our shooters all over the court. So in effect, our strengths fit their weaknesses as well.

One additional point, other than destroying a SC team that’s clearly struggling to find itself, the Lady Bears have not been all that impressive. They struggled with both ASU and South Dakota St. Other than the SC game, Baylor hasn’t gotten very much from their guards.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget. Baylor’s bigs have to cover our shooters all over the court. So in effect, our strengths fit their weaknesses as well.

One additional point, other than destroying a SC team that’s clearly struggling to find itself, the Lady Bears have not been all that impressive. They struggled with both ASU and South Dakota St. Other than the SC game, Baylor hasn’t gotten very much from their guards.
I agree with your assessment . My fear is our tolerance for a few bad calls is razor thin.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment . My fear is our tolerance for a few bad calls is razor thin.
That’s why I hope Batouly is healthy enough to bang with Baylor’s bigs for a few minutes. That gives 5 additional fouls to use if need be.

Reaction Score
As I stated in another thread, there are not a lot of good teams this year. After the top 8 teams, there is a significant drop off. I also said that Cal is not a top 13 team; I love Anigwe though. I think there are plenty teams better than Cal including Michigan State.

Reaction Score

Baylor struggled for the same Miss State did against Marquette. We are both two very post heavy teams. So when you get some guard oriented offenses it's hard for the bigs to stretch the floor and they all pack the paint. The thing BU has showed is when the guards are needed they step up. ASU is no slouch to play for your 3rd game of the first week of basketball. ASU is no.17 now and only has losses to two teams in top 4. With Louisville only winning by 2. Baylor is getting better with each game.

I mean don't forget about the St. Johns game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I stated in another thread, there are not a lot of good teams this year. After the top 8 teams, there is a significant drop off. I also said that Cal is not a top 13 team; I love Anigwe though. I think there are plenty teams better than Cal including Michigan State.
I might chop it off after the top 6.

Reaction Score
And as for Baylor, yea I do think they are a dangerous team, but they don’t scare me because in all the games that they’ve had, the team struggled to get the ball up the court with no true point guard. They don’t have any pure shooters and they’re really foul prone. They have way more weaknesses than UConn and they may have height, but it takes more than height to win. That’s been proven in all the elite 8 losses they’ve had. The best team that UConn will face, they’ve already played.

Reaction Score
Texas lost a home game against Tennessee and not only did they retain their position, but Tennessee didn't change their ranking either. It's as if the game never happened...

Yes but theres a huge gap between #11 & #12, while #12-13-14 are quite close.
Also, TX lost to a top 10 team. #14 Cal went to OT against unranked St Marys.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

I've been kind of disappointed in NC State's OOC schedule thus far (as have some of the posters here on The Boneyard)...but the win over Michigan State now looks like it might be a signature win for the season.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Nah, Oregon is fine where they are. Westhead has really ramped up their defense this year, given they held Michigan State to only 88.

Reaction Score
In all fairness they were closely ranked (#9 for Tenn and #12 for Texas, I believe) and the game was close so I understand why neither team moved. That would be like Notre Dame beating Louisville and moving to number 1 when UConn also won its game(s) that week. Unless it were 100-25 or something ridiculous like that, there’d be no way that upward movement would happen when a team beats a team it was expected to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom