Dec 12th Rankings [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dec 12th Rankings [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Just comparing the Arizona St. to the Texas rankings-- Texas is ranked 5 seeds higher having lost to the number 6 seed by 18 pts and the number 9 seed by 6pts. Where as Arizona St.lost to number 4 by 6 pts and the number 5 team by 2pts. While they both have the same record Arizona St. losses are actually to higher rated teams by far less than the Texas losses were. Going into league play this will play to the advantage of Texas as they a playing in a very weak conference with their only losses expected to be to Baylor.

I don't understand the love they are giving Texas. Are they going to be the new Tenn?

Reaction Score
Just comparing the Arizona St. to the Texas rankings-- Texas is ranked 5 seeds higher having lost to the number 6 seed by 18 pts and the number 9 seed by 6pts. Where as Arizona St.lost to number 4 by 6 pts and the number 5 team by 2pts. While they both have the same record Arizona St. losses are actually to higher rated teams by far less than the Texas losses were. Going into league play this will play to the advantage of Texas as they a playing in a very weak conference with their only losses expected to be to Baylor.

I don't understand the love they are giving Texas. Are they going to be the new Tenn?

I think Iowa State can beat Texas. They are probably the 3rd best team with West Virginia behind them.

Reaction Score
"If you win, you now have the seeding advantage of the team you beat." HUH?

So when OSU, #6 seed, beat Tennessee #3 seed, OSU became the #3 seed? OSU didn't get to play 1st 2 games on their home court like Tennessee and Baylor last year. The seeding matters, and, you have a much easier path to the final 4 (contenders, not pretenders) if you play your first 2 games on your home court. Anyone reaching the final 4 is a contender, and, deserved to be there, ESPECIALLY those that were at a seeding disadvantage.

I think when OSU as a 6 beats Tenn as a 3.... then yes OSU should be a 3 de facto.... not an automatic in all instances.... but OSU has obvious advantage at the HC position.... i would have Scott Rueck coach my team anytime.... he is good tactician and very resourceful..... AND he can run an offense!!!!

Reaction Score
Texas may or may not be the new Tennessee, but ASU has never received the credit the program deserves. Until it makes a Final Four or has a consensus All-American star, it is forever doomed to rankings in the teens or lower. It's a fine program, too - I don't think too many people would argue against the proposition that Thorne is one of the three best coaches in the Pac. (You'll get just a little pushback if you put her in the top *two* :) )

Reaction Score
Massey currently has South Carolina 37th, four places behind South Florida.

Reaction Score
Here's the link for this weeks rankings:
2018-19 Women's College Basketball Rankings for Week 6 | ESPN

There a few things that perplex me and no, Oregon dropping only to #7, staying ahead of #8 OSU, their in-state rival is not one of them (though I am curious what our NW brethren have to say!). OSU (not to be confused with tOSU) still hasn't played anyone other than ND so they have to live with this for a bit.
#1. Why is Texas still at #12? This is a flawed team that maybe is a top 25 but NOT #12!
#2. California at #13? They have played NO ONE. I can't wait for the UConn game for a 25 point beat down at home to exposed this team.
#3. Arizona State at #17? They lost to Baylor and to Louisville, they are far better than Cal, better than Minn, Syracuse, Texas and dare I say it-Tennessee. This is 11-15 team at worst.
#4 quibble-Gonzaga at #21? They only lost to ND and unlike OSU, have played some descent teams at 9-1. Stanford, Rutgers and Wash. State are all descent P5 schools that should warrant some respect from the voters.

Thoughts from anyone?
I had thought the Coaches poll might be a bit better at resolving some of the issues you noted above... but alas, that poll is nearly identical in the top half and just a bit jumbled below that. One notable...SoCarolina drops out of Top 25.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom