Dec 12th Rankings [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dec 12th Rankings [merged thread]

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's the link for this weeks rankings:
2018-19 Women's College Basketball Rankings for Week 6 | ESPN

There a few things that perplex me and no, Oregon dropping only to #7, staying ahead of #8 OSU, their in-state rival is not one of them (though I am curious what our NW brethren have to say!). OSU (not to be confused with tOSU) still hasn't played anyone other than ND so they have to live with this for a bit.
#1. Why is Texas still at #12? This is a flawed team that maybe is a top 25 but NOT #12!
#2. California at #13? They have played NO ONE. I can't wait for the UConn game for a 25 point beat down at home to exposed this team.
#3. Arizona State at #17? They lost to Baylor and to Louisville, they are far better than Cal, better than Minn, Syracuse, Texas and dare I say it-Tennessee. This is 11-15 team at worst.
#4 quibble-Gonzaga at #21? They only lost to ND and unlike OSU, have played some descent teams at 9-1. Stanford, Rutgers and Wash. State are all descent P5 schools that should warrant some respect from the voters.

Thoughts from anyone?

Reaction Score
I can only agree with everything you have written. In particular, Cal & ASU rankings are very wrong. ASU is playing great & demonstrated they are for real, and how did Cal ever great ranked in the top 25 in the first place? You are right, UCONN will fix this mis-ranking soon enough.

Reaction Score
Here's the link for this weeks rankings:
2018-19 Women's College Basketball Rankings for Week 6 | ESPN

There a few things that perplex me and no, Oregon dropping only to #7, staying ahead of #8 OSU, their in-state rival is not one of them (though I am curious what our NW brethren have to say!). OSU (not to be confused with tOSU) still hasn't played anyone other than ND so they have to live with this for a bit.
#1. Why is Texas still at #12? This is a flawed team that maybe is a top 25 but NOT #12!
#2. California at #13? They have played NO ONE. I can't wait for the UConn game for a 25 point beat down at home to exposed this team.
#3. Arizona State at #17? They lost to Baylor and to Louisville, they are far better than Cal, better than Minn, Syracuse, Texas and dare I say it-Tennessee. This is 11-15 team at worst.
#4 quibble-Gonzaga at #21? They only lost to ND and unlike OSU, have played some descent teams at 9-1. Stanford, Rutgers and Wash. State are all descent P5 schools that should warrant some respect from the voters.

Thoughts from anyone?
Only thought is it's still WAAAAAAYYYYYY too early to get too excited about the rankings. Now if this was late February, there could be some reason to be concerned. All I know is UCONN is where it belongs!!!:):cool:

Reaction Score
Don’t forget. Baylor’s bigs have to cover our shooters all over the court. So in effect, our strengths fit their weaknesses as well.

One additional point, other than destroying a SC team that’s clearly struggling to find itself, the Lady Bears have not been all that impressive. They struggled with both ASU and South Dakota St. Other than the SC game, Baylor hasn’t gotten very much from their guards.
In addition to Baylor having to cover our shooters (4 or 5 capable from 3pt range), they will also have to run with our Gals...and after a handful of trips trying to get back on Defense, they are going to be going to the bench for oxygen.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Rutgers and Wash. State are all descent P5 schools

Not so sure about that, especially WSU. They should be near the bottom of the Pac 12 this year. GU is playing well and avoiding bad losses that plagued them the previous couple of seasons.

Rankings aren't real meaningful yet. I keep seeing complaints about where Cal is at, but they haven't lost so they keep rising. We'll find out quickly whether they are legit or not once conference play starts.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's my retort to those that say it's way too early. Of course it is BUT they are still conducting the poll so shouldn't the voters take it seriously? The idea is to see what teams are playing well at that point in time and just copying your ballot from last week is the lazy man's way of doing your role.

Integrity is my point! Head bang

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let's face it, most of the voters have seen and will see very few teams play. To me the Coaches Poll has some meaning, but the AP poll is a pretty unreliable indicator of relative worth. Arguing why this bunch only dropped Team A 3 and raised Team B 2 is a good hot stove chat and it is what we as fans do, but it's pretty empty entertainment, nothing more.

Reaction Score
not to impolite but why should UConn fans care about the rankings at this point in the season when it has zero impact on the big dance......?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
not to impolite but why should UConn fans care about the rankings at this point in the season when it has zero impact on the big dance.?
It really has zero impact on the big dance at all. Even though they now "look" at it, given all the flaws, do you really, really think that the AP poll factors into the committee's seeding.

Folks - UConn and other, like myself - are interested in the poll because they follow all of WBB, maybe not in much detail (I actually didn't click on the poll, got the answers I was curious to just reading the thread) but with some interest.

Reaction Score
not to impolite but why should UConn fans care about the rankings at this point in the season when it has zero impact on the big dance.?
Completely agree and that was the gist of my comments. Unfortunately those who vote in the AP poll are likely distracted this time of year with the end of College FB, Hockey starting up, NFL nearing the end, holiday preps/shopping(??) and travel plans,...thus WBB games aren't top priority. SO, even if someone plays pastry product after pastry product and maintains a 0 or even 1 loss record, they are going to catch attention for the lack of losses...more so than the lack of "challenge". It will be really interesting to see the differences between AP and Coaches polls this week. Regardless, I believe it will all work out as the season progresses and by March we'll know who the true top 25 teams are.

GO HUSKIES!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some things we care about because they are related to UConn. Other things because they are related to WCBB. Other things because they are related to the WNBA or professional players overseas etc.

But bottom line, anything related to current events for WCBB is something that people will discuss. I agree that getting all fired up over the current rankings is silly, but I don't see anyone getting all fired up - just stating why they agree or disagree with the rankings...

Reaction Score
Some things we care about because they are related to UConn. Other things because they are related to WCBB. Other things because they are related to the WNBA or professional players overseas etc.

But bottom line, anything related to current events for WCBB is something that people will discuss. I agree that getting all fired up over the current rankings is silly, but I don't see anyone getting all fired up - just stating why they agree or disagree with the rankings...

when the only perennial debate you have is whether your team is number one or number two I guess you do get a bit jaded.................. just another example of a spoiled UConn fan...............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I might chop it off after the top 6.
Top 5 are the only contenders IMO (I haven't seen Louisville play, so I'm giving them a very generous benefit of the doubt). I don't think there are really ANY 'great' teams in WCBB this year, with a significant drop-off below the current AP #5. Maryland isn't a realistic contender. No B1G, no PAC-12. JMO

Reaction Score
Top 5 are the only contenders IMO (I haven't seen Louisville play, so I'm giving them a very generous benefit of the doubt). I don't think there are really ANY 'great' teams in WCBB this year, with a significant drop-off below the current AP #5. Maryland isn't a realistic contender. No B1G, no PAC-12. JMO
Disagree. Was Baylor a contender the last few years, when they were ranked in the top 5? Was UW & OSU ranked in the top 5 when they made the Final 4?

Reaction Score
Disagree. Was Baylor a contender the last few years, when they were ranked in the top 5? Was UW & OSU ranked in the top 5 when they made the Final 4?
I don't think some potential final 4 teams are truly 'contenders'

Reaction Score
I do not think anyone is qualified to contend for title outside of the top 5..... I am still sleeping from watching Tenn Texas yesterday..... Shouldn't it be a basic qualification for head coaching position to be able to offer at least a basic offensive scheme...... That game was a throwback to 30 years ago..... dribble the ball up and get it to your best player, or your hottest..... let them throw it up

Reaction Score
I do not think anyone is qualified to contend for title outside of the top 5..... I am still sleeping from watching Tenn Texas yesterday..... Shouldn't it be a basic qualification for head coaching position to be able to offer at least a basic offensive scheme. That game was a throwback to 30 years ago..... dribble the ball up and get it to your best player, or your hottest..... let them throw it up

the biggest shame is that there is so much talent on those two teams it seems such a waste..........

Reaction Score
I believe Baylor is the most dangerous team we will face. It seems to me that their strengths fit our weaknesses. If Pheesa and Lou have to bang with the Baylor bigs, the fouls will impact us more than them.
Maybe I’m a bit biased. But I still think ND is UCONNs toughest match up. I think ND has better guard play then Baylor and especially in the tournament guard play matters a lot. Hey I could be wrong. But I think ND come Tourny time will be a tougher out for Y’all then Baylor.

Reaction Score
The whole why do people talk about rankings. Very simple it is something to talk about. In every sport people talk about rankings does it really matter no. But it gives people something to gauge off of and talk about. Plus it helps for TV. Having #3 vs #4 helps when a game is aired on TV. Maybe some people who wouldn’t care would tune in.

Reaction Score
I don't think some potential final 4 teams are truly 'contenders'
If you make the final 4, how are you not a "contender", especially if you did it from a disadvantaged unfavorable seeding in the tournament, meaning you had a more difficult path to the Final 4?

I used Baylor as my example re: top 5 teams that maybe shouldn't be considered a "contender", (and there are others) when Baylor was definitely in the top 5 two separate years only to make it to Elite 8, & Sweet 16. I should add, with the benefit of an extremely advantaged seeding to boot!

Reaction Score
I’m guessing the coaches will not still have SC in the Top 25 with four losses.

Reaction Score
If you make the final 4, how are you not a "contender", especially if you did it from a disadvantaged unfavorable seeding in the tournament, meaning you had a more difficult path to the Final 4?

I used Baylor as my example re: top 5 teams that maybe shouldn't be considered a "contender", (and there are others) when Baylor was definitely in the top 5 two separate years only to make it to Elite 8, & Sweet 16. I should add, with the benefit of an extremely advantaged seeding to boot!
Once a disadvantaged seed upsets a higher-seeded team, they assume the seed advantage of that higher-seeded team. Basically the seeding disadvantage is for one game only - the first game where you play a higher-seeded team. If you lose that game, it was expected. If you win, you now have the seeding advantage of the team you beat.

Since I don't believe there are really any 'great' teams this year - and not more than a couple 'really good' teams - I would expect lots of upsets in the rounds of 16 and 8. Then I would expect the couple of really good teams to take care of business.

But what do I know? Nuthin' better to worry about tonight

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m a bit biased. But I still think ND is UCONNs toughest match up. I think ND has better guard play then Baylor and especially in the tournament guard play matters a lot. Hey I could be wrong. But I think ND come Tourny time will be a tougher out for Y’all then Baylor.

"Maybe I'm a bit biased"

May be. :)

Reaction Score
Once a disadvantaged seed upsets a higher-seeded team, they assume the seed advantage of that higher-seeded team. Basically the seeding disadvantage is for one game only - the first game where you play a higher-seeded team. If you lose that game, it was expected. If you win, you now have the seeding advantage of the team you beat.

Since I don't believe there are really any 'great' teams this year - and not more than a couple 'really good' teams - I would expect lots of upsets in the rounds of 16 and 8. Then I would expect the couple of really good teams to take care of business.

But what do I know? Nuthin' better to worry about tonight

"If you win, you now have the seeding advantage of the team you beat." HUH?

So when OSU, #6 seed, beat Tennessee #3 seed, OSU became the #3 seed? OSU didn't get to play 1st 2 games on their home court like Tennessee and Baylor last year. The seeding matters, and, you have a much easier path to the final 4 (contenders, not pretenders) if you play your first 2 games on your home court. Anyone reaching the final 4 is a contender, and, deserved to be there, ESPECIALLY those that were at a seeding disadvantage.

Reaction Score
"If you win, you now have the seeding advantage of the team you beat." HUH?

So when OSU, #6 seed, beat Tennessee #3 seed, OSU became the #3 seed? OSU didn't get to play 1st 2 games on their home court like Tennessee and Baylor last year. The seeding matters, and, you have a much easier path to the final 4 (contenders, not pretenders) if you play your first 2 games on your home court. Anyone reaching the final 4 is a contender, and, deserved to be there, ESPECIALLY those that were at a seeding disadvantage.
Yes, exactly, if the team you beat was a higher seed. In your example OSU took over the #3 seeding path from TN and abandoned their #6 seeding path (which would have been a loss to TN).

I agree anyone who reaches the FF deserves to be there, however unlikely they might be to win it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom