Death Storm-- Pull Out The Snow Blower | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Death Storm-- Pull Out The Snow Blower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
There was no Halloween in many places tonight. It's too dangerous with all the downed powerlines and branches
Doesn't that just add to the scary factor?

Reaction Score
Our street still looks like a bomb went off. I still have trees all over yard and house but I finally got a generator and chainsaw. I now have heat and lights. I'm ready to do some serious damage tomorrow. Still waiting for the tree service that promise to be there yesterday. They will need to take care of the big boys that are on my roof and against the house and hanging from the trees.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Why did so many trees go down in this storm? I remember the Ice Storm (Felix?) in the 70s that took down tons of powerlines, but this was snow and not really that much. Why so many problems?

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Why did so many trees go down in this storm? I remember the Ice Storm (Felix?) in the 70s that took down tons of powerlines, but this was snow and not really that much. Why so many problems?
There was a lot of snow in Northern Connecticut and because there was a lot of leaves still on the trees it caused a lot of them to come down, if this happened in January I think it would not be nearly as bad.

Reaction Score
No power still which sucks (my town 100% and saying up to a week) but all I'm worried about right now is how the hell am I going to watch the game on the computer wednesday night!!!
Find a library that is open.

Reaction Score
The leaves are still on the trees and the snow was wet and heavy.

Reaction Score
Myself and 2 co-workers drove down to our company's NJ offices since they have power. My wife just called me from CT and was all excited that she was able to get gas & only waited 15 minutes!!

Reaction Score
Myself and 2 co-workers drove down to our company's NJ offices since they have power. My wife just called me from CT and was all excited that she was able to get gas & only waited 15 minutes!!
This morning on Ch 3 they were interviewing folks who were getting up in the wee hours, going to get gas ( no witing ) and then going back to bed. Who says New Englanders aren't resourceful? Of course we have really short fuses too, so I'm not sure how ling this can go on before folks start to get a little testy. Not much you can do , there isn't anyone to blame ( although most folks want to lay it at the feet of CL&P) . When a street is littered with 50-100 year old trees it's going to take time.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Been in a hotel in Providence since Sunday. Sucks, but I have a three year old and two year old. No way was I going to stay in Ellington with no power and ETA.

I will give CL&P some benefit of the doubt, but when Governor Christie of NJ can tell his consituents that everyone will have power back by Wednesday (and they had well over 600,000 outages), and I have to wait until tomorrow (I hope) to even get an estimate as to when my town will be back up, that's pretty freaking lame.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This morning on Ch 3 they were interviewing folks who were getting up in the wee hours, going to get gas ( no witing ) and then going back to bed. Who says New Englanders aren't resourceful? Of course we have really short fuses too, so I'm not sure how ling this can go on before folks start to get a little testy. Not much you can do , there isn't anyone to blame ( although most folks want to lay it at the feet of CL&P) . When a street is littered with 50-100 year old trees it's going to take time.
When I get up in the wee hours it's to do exactly what those hours say.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Been in a hotel in Providence since Sunday. Sucks, but I have a three year old and two year old. No way was I going to stay in Ellington with no power and ETA.

I will give CL&P some benefit of the doubt, but when Governor Christie of NJ can tell his consituents that everyone will have power back by Wednesday (and they had well over 600,000 outages), and I have to wait until tomorrow (I hope) to even get an estimate as to when my town will be back up, that's pretty freaking lame.
I feel for your inconvenience and discomfort. It's difficult to go through this with young ones.

I'm not invested in CL&P, but the number of people without power is only one factor into the quickness of recovery. The other factors, how many trees, poles and transformer, were damaged in the event, and the geographic distribution of the damage, are more important than the numbers of people affected.

For instance one thousand people can lose power because one limb broke one line. The only repair required is one line. On the other hand several trees could have fallen on lines and caused several poles to fall. If one thousand people were impacted by this situation the time for repair will be much greater than the first instance.

Anyways good luck and hope your town recovers quickly. I can't see staying in Providence as being wonderful, considering all the stuff happening to the BE.

Reaction Score
Really feel sorry for all you folks. Here in Lisbon we lost power for all of 2hrs on sat. afternoon and that was it. New London county for the most part got spared not like what Irene did to us in this region. I know it must suck and this is the last thing you want to hear about somebody that has power but keep the faith and we'll try too send some good karma your way.

Reaction Score
Good news and bad news. The good news is all the limbs are off my roof. Bad news is one left a half dollar sized hole in it. But I already have a roofer coming tomorrow.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The leaves are still on the trees and the snow was wet and heavy.

The leaves and the fact that the trees are depressed about the disintegration of the Big East.....just no reason to hold together.

Reaction Score
How many Boneyarders are still without power? This will be my 6th night...

Reaction Score
No power on the Bristol/Burlington line, though a few of the main streets in the area have power, so there's hope....I think....

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If the numbers were available I would not be shocked if this storm affected 70% of the trees in the region. From small branches to major limbs the wreckage is astounding. And for trees not wrecked many are now angled 10 to 20 feet lower than they were before.

Just amazing.

Reaction Score
no stinkin' power.
Just got power back on in Southington at about 6:30 PM Thursday. Part of the town never lost power for more than a few hours.Was tired of trying to read books on kindle with a flashlight on my shoulder and going to Starbucks to charge the kindle, laptop and cell phone. Like many, going to have to borrow a chain saw to cut some limbs but overall not much work. Worst part was having to get out from under covers to take a wizz and walk on the tile bathroom floor.
The crew that was working in our neighborhood was from Jacksonville Florida.
Gov says 99% will have power by Sunday.We'll see.

Reaction Score
Just got power back on in Southington at about 6:30 PM Thursday. Part of the town never lost power for more than a few hours.Was tired of trying to read books on kindle with a flashlight on my shoulder and going to Starbucks to charge the kindle, laptop and cell phone. Like many, going to have to borrow a chain saw to cut some limbs but overall not much work. Worst part was having to get out from under covers to take a wizz and walk on the tile bathroom floor.
The crew that was working in our neighborhood was from Jacksonville Florida.
Gov says 99% will have power by Sunday.We'll see.

Do you live by the HS? they had that big pole down. Im by lewis farms and we only lost it for a day.

Reaction Score
Do you live by the HS? they had that big pole down. Im by lewis farms and we only lost it for a day.

Not far from the HS off Flanders Rd. My son lives in your area and he never lost power.

Reaction Score
Lanning st still has like half the poles downs haha. We are not going to be the 99 percent

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Still out in Glastonbury......I'm part of a small strip of people in the dark, surrounded by people with power who I want to poke in the eye on general principles. The country guy from Tennessee or Alabama or somewhere promised (mostly) that the power would be on in an hour. We came back 2 hours later and no freakin' power. I don't want to be part of the last 1 %. I think that there is one line lying on the ground that stands in the way of my power. Tomorrow is the day.

Reaction Score
Lanning st still has like half the poles downs haha. We are not going to be the 99 percent
I came up Laning ST during the week and had just enough clearance from low hanging wires to make it. Was at JD Homers today and Laning St was closed.Friends in West hartford still don't have power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom