Dear ESPN | The Boneyard

Dear ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can we not have utter complete morons do our game please?

The jokes from these two clowns.

1-- Ellis saying team should slow it down because they don't have the bench? Really??!!! Hey buddy I know you were a great ND player and good in props at one time but get a clue about women's basketball. If you don't understand then actually try to sit down and watch a few UCONN games each year and note what happens in 1ts round games when UCONN is a number 1 seed. .

2--- The play-byplay dude -- some dude on WFAN too-- naming Syracuse and Pitt as the type of teams of teams historically that have given us a tough time? Are you out of your mind? South Florida is equal now to the best of those teams (I know Cuse played us once to a one pt game or something like that and Pitt maybe a few) in their history. So please stop pretending like you know what you are talking about if you seriously think those two teams matter in a basketball conference. C'mon!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
He mentioned Syracuse and Pitt because he was talking about more quality teams that UConn used to face in the BE. Doesn't really have anything to do with South Florida. Course, Pitt had been mostly awful prior to this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ThisJustIn said:
I'm enjoying these two guys a lot. Their appreciation for the Huskies is nice to hear. Their enjoyment of what they're seeing is fun. The props/respect they're offering St. Francis is cool.
I agree. Laphanso Ellis knows the game and is giving it up to UConn in general and Stewie in particular.

ESPN does daring things with gender and sportscasting. Sounds a little "different" having a male color person for a WBB game, but they've had Pam Ward call CFB games, too. I support it, obviously.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I agree. Laphanso Ellis knows the game and is giving it up to UConn in general and Stewie in particular.

ESPN does daring things with gender and sportscasting. Sounds a little "different" having a male color person for a WBB game, but they've had Pam Ward call CFB games, too. I support it, obviously.

Yes they are quite refreshing. Not the constant gabbing about anything but the game that we usually hear from ESPN broadcast teams. I thought it was very funny how they commented that Shea looked disgusted during a blowout. "Coaches never happy". Made me laugh.

Reaction Score
I'm enjoying these two guys a lot. Their appreciation for the Huskies is nice to hear. Their enjoyment of what they're seeing is fun. The props/respect they're offering St. Francis is cool.

They've been much better 2nd half.

But can we agree the comment that St Francis should slow the game down was a completely stupid comment?

And the comment that UCONN needs more Pitt's and Syracucses's was a complete slap in the face to our conference that shouldn'y have been said by the play-by-play commentator? Syracuse and Pitt have been basically nothing when we competed against them in the Big East. To mention those two schools "as relevant" when they aren't even relevant nationally -- slaps every team in our conference. If they aren't relevant nationally (Cuse and Pitt) but they are supposedly relevant enough for the play-by-play to guy to mention them -- it downgrades every other team in our conference- including South Florida.

Ask yourself is Syracuse and Pitt relevant nationally? So why should they get air time belittling (You can't say the comment he made did NOT belittle our conference)downgrading our conference while building up those two teams?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
They've been much better 2nd half.

But can we agree the comment that St Francis should slow the game down was a completely stupid comment?

And the comment that UCONN needs more Pitt's and Syracucses's was a complete slap in the face to our conference that shouldn'y have been said by the play-by-play commentator? Syracuse and Pitt have been basically nothing when we competed against them in the Big East. To mention those two schools "as relevant" when they aren't even relevant nationally -- slaps every team in our conference. If they aren't relevant nationally (Cuse and Pitt) but they are supposedly relevant enough for the play-by-play to guy to mention them -- it downgrades every other team in our conference- including South Florida.

Ask yourself is Syracuse and Pitt relevant nationally? So why should they get air time belittling (You can't say the comment he made did NOT belittle our conference)downgrading our conference while building up those two teams?
Whoooooo cares? Our conference sucks. We've been over this a million times. Who cares if he "belittled" it? Seriously? How many teams ARE relevant nationally, five?

Is it the play-by-play guy's job to worry about our conference's feelings?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I enjoyed them - kept to the game, did little promotional work for mens games or other sports, had high props for Uconn and specific players, were obviously impressed, did not belittle the effort from SFNY but did acknowledge the hopelessness of their situation.

Compared to a lot of other announcing teams I could them much better than average.

Reaction Score
Whoooooo cares? Our conference sucks. We've been over this a million times. Who cares if he "belittled" it? Seriously? How many teams ARE relevant nationally, five?

Is it the play-by-play guy's job to worry about our conference's feelings?

Sorry but imo your post is pathetic. Only UConn matters? And 4 other teams?

South FLorida doesn't matter? SO Lousiville vs USF you don't give a damn?
Do you watch any other game other than UCONN?

Did you watch any of the Princeton game? Because they suck too, right? South FLorids suck. Lousiville sucks too don't they? Because they aren't top 5. Only the top 5 are good everybody else sucks?

SO as a wcbb fan that's what I want to hear- from fans like you that all teams but 5 suck- thank you so much sarals.

Reaction Score
ESPN had to come up with 16 crews for this weekend, while also covering the men's tourney. I thought it was pretty professional. At least the dude did some research, went to UCONN's practice yesterday, took the time to talk to Geno yesterday, etc. No major complaints.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Did you watch any of the Princeton game? Because they suck too, right? South FLorids suck. Lousiville sucks too don't they? Because they aren't top 5. Only the top 5 are good everybody else sucks?

SO as a wcbb fan that's what I want to hear- from fans like you that all teams but 5 suck- thank you so much sarals.

calm down.jpg

I know Im just a guest, but some of yall get riled up over the stupidest things. Good Gosh.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score

Ummm...I think you missed the point of my post. I don't care that the guy "belittled" our conference. Who cares? Why does this offend you so much? I actually liked the announcers in the game. They knew their stuff, they knew UConn's players, and they gave credit to Saint Francis for running offense and playing hard.

I'm going to quote myself in the game thread talking about the coverage of Princeton:

"I'm glad they are covering Princeton! It's an awesome story, and anything that gets people interested in WCBB is a great thing, IMO.

And if we use the standard of "By how much would UConn beat this team?" for coverage...than there wouldn't be very much coverage, would there?"

Reaction Score

I was okay until sarals post. And I was okay making a reply. But c'mon - I'm the one who should calm down after I got to hear from someone who seems to think all but 5 teams in wcbb suck? I don't like the men's game. And then to get this thrown at me -that everybody sucks except 5 wcbb teams-- I think it's nuts.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I was okay until sarals post. And I was okay making a reply. But c'mon - I'm the one who should calm down after I got to hear from someone who seems to think all but 5 teams in wcbb suck? I don't like the men's game. And then to get this thrown at me -that everybody sucks except 5 wcbb teams-- I think it's nuts.
Seriously...you are totally missing my point. I NEVER SAID ALL BUT FIVE TEAMS SUCK. I said that only about five are nationally relevant, i.e. only five have a true chance to win a national championship. I just don't understand why you are upset that the announcers were talking about how bad our conference is. They aren't "belittling" it, as you said. They are speaking the truth - our conference isn't great.

And YOU are the one that was upset that they mentioned Syracuse and Pitt as being "nationally relevant". My point is that if you use that criteria (mentioning teams that are "nationally relevant") than you could only talk about maybe five other teams. Soooooo clearly I don't want that, I'm saying that you need to chill about the announcers talking about Syracuse and Pitt and our crappy conference. I thought the announcers were good.

Reaction Score

1-- Ellis saying team should slow it down because they don't have the bench? Really??!!! Hey buddy I know you were a great ND player and good in props at one time but get a clue about women's basketball. If you don't understand then actually try to sit down and watch a few UCONN games each year and note what happens in 1ts round games when UCONN is a number 1 seed. .

2--- The play-byplay dude -- some dude on WFAN too-- naming Syracuse and Pitt as the type of teams of teams historically that have given us a tough time? Are you out of your mind? South Florida is equal now to the best of those teams (I know Cuse played us once to a one pt game or something like that and Pitt maybe a few) in their history. So please stop pretending like you know what you are talking about if you seriously think those two teams matter in a basketball conference. C'mon!!!

Before making such an inflammatory post, you ought to try listening to the commentators. Ellis was referring to St. Francis not having a bench. The play-by-play guy got tongue-tied in that one exchange, but he was trying not to mention Notre Dame (Ellis) and just had a brain stoppage. Look, they were broadcasting 16 games today in eight different venues; Doris Burke can't be everywhere.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Ha.... you sounded perturbed from the opening tap

You might want to mute the tv monday night, cause those "clowns" will be doing the game

Reaction Score
Ummm...I think you missed the point of my post. I don't care that the guy "belittled" our conference. Who cares? Why does this offend you so much? I'm going to quote myself in the game thread talking about the coverage of Princeton:

"I'm glad they are covering Princeton! It's an awesome story, and anything that gets people interested in WCBB is a great thing, IMO.

And if we use the standard of "By how much would UConn beat this team?" for coverage...than there wouldn't be very much coverage, would there?"

But if Princeton was in our conference they'd have at least 3 losses, right? So you'd still be saying our conference sucks, right? What are they ever going to nationally? Nothing, right?

Secondly, what has Pittsburg and Syracuse been nationally? For early 20 years we've blown them out, right? Why should a play-by-play guy mention such "mediocre teams" as if these mediocre teams are so superior to every team in our conference? I'd make a bet that USF can beat both. Would you? Did it seem like when he made those comments that anybody in our league can compete vs Pitt or Cuse? HE made it could like a foregone conclusion that two mediocre ACC teams would be the toughest teams in our league yet imo USF is better. And somehow as they televise a national game that's okay? I don't think any men's announcers for men's college basketball would belittle another conference in that manner by referencing teams we've already stomped over for 15-20 years.

If we play Pitt or Cuse how much of a better game are they giving us than USF? How much better than Tulane? You mean if we beat Tulane by 45 and these teams by 35 it matters that much to belittle the AAC?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
But if Princeton was in our conference they'd have at least 3 losses, right? So you'd still be saying our conference sucks, right? What are they ever going to nationally? Nothing, right?

Secondly, what has Pittsburg and Syracuse been nationally? For early 20 years we've blown them out, right? Why should a play-by-play guy mention such "mediocre teams" as if these mediocre teams are so superior to every team in our conference? I'd make a bet that USF can beat both. Would you? Did it seem like when he made those comments that anybody in our league can compete vs Pitt or Cuse? HE made it could like a foregone conclusion that two mediocre ACC teams would be the toughest teams in our league yet imo USF is better. And somehow as they televise a national game that's okay? I don't think any men's announcers for men's college basketball would belittle another conference in that manner by referencing teams we've already stomped over for 15-20 years.

If we play Pitt or Cuse how much of a better game are they giving us than USF? How much better than Tulane? You mean if we beat Tulane by 45 and these teams by 35 it matters that much to belittle the AAC?
I just...don't understand why you care so much about the AAC's feelings. Great...USF is better than Pitt and Syracuse. What's your point, exactly? You didn't like the announcers. OK. I (and other posters) thought they were good. Is that your only example? That they mentioned Pitt and Syracuse?

And BTW...I like USF and Jose Fernandez, but our conference is terrible. I mean, apologies to the AAC for "belittling" it, but it's true.

Reaction Score
Before making such an inflammatory post, you ought to try listening to the commentators. Ellis was referring to St. Francis not having a bench. The play-by-play guy got tongue-tied in that one exchange, but he was trying not to mention Notre Dame (Ellis) and just had a brain stoppage. Look, they were broadcasting 16 games today in eight different venues; Doris Burke can't be everywhere.

I don't think I'll take your advise. HE deserved to be belittled. If I was a player on ST Francis I would want to play the way that got me there. Having a bench is a comptlete joke. Does it really matter if they had a bench? Who's kidding who here? Please tell me what you think a Saint Francis bench could have done to stem the tide?
Instead -- let the kids play and give it their best shot the way they played all along. You should have no concern or though about a bench in wcbb when you are overmatched so badly.

Can you imagine if you were one of the players that played fats all along then you're going against a GINA with no chance to win all of a sudden your coach asks oyu to paly a different way in the NCAA's 1ts round? It's among the dumbest things I've heard. Can you give me one example why you wouldn't want to give the kids the opportunity to play the way they have the entire year?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
And here's another one of my posts from earlier in the evening, in case you need more proof that I don't think everyone but UConn "sucks".

HoopsFan21
I know but they're a $hitty team that plays high school level talent. If Princeton were in the AAC would they even be a top 5 team in the conference? Watching these highlights on ESPN reminds me of how terrible WCBB teams outside the top 5 are.
Sarals24
I disagree. They are a D1 team that went undefeated while beating teams from major conferences. Sure, they don't play UConn's schedule, but it's a great accomplishment and I'm glad ESPN is covering it.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't think I'll take your advise. HE deserved to be belittled. If I was a player on ST Francis I would want to play the way that got me there. Having a bench is a comptlete joke. Does it really matter if they had a bench? Who's kidding who here? Please tell me what you think a Saint Francis bench could have done to stem the tide?
Instead -- let the kids play and give it their best shot the way they played all along. You should have no concern or though about a bench in wcbb when you are overmatched so badly.

Can you imagine if you were one of the players that played fats all along then you're going against a GINA with no chance to win all of a sudden your coach asks oyu to paly a different way in the NCAA's 1ts round? It's among the dumbest things I've heard. Can you give me one example why you wouldn't want to give the kids the opportunity to play the way they have the entire year?
This makes no sense.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Seriously...you are totally missing my point. I NEVER SAID ALL BUT FIVE TEAMS SUCK. I said that only about five are nationally relevant, i.e. only five have a true chance to win a national championship. I just don't understand why you are upset that the announcers were talking about how bad our conference is. They aren't "belittling" it, as you said. They are speaking the truth - our conference isn't great.

And YOU are the one that was upset that they mentioned Syracuse and Pitt as being "nationally relevant". My point is that if you use that criteria (mentioning teams that are "nationally relevant") than you could only talk about maybe five other teams. Soooooo clearly I don't want that, I'm saying that you need to chill about the announcers talking about Syracuse and Pitt and our crappy conference. I thought the announcers were good.

The truth is sarals is correct. There are only five nationally relevant women's programs, year in and year out. Parity is still a pipe dream in the women's game. Nos. 1 through 5 almost never lose games to Nos. 6 through 25, and Top 25 teams almost never lose to anybody else. You can pick five teams before the start of any season and one of those five is going to win the national championship.

Reaction Score
I just...don't understand why you care so much about the AAC's feelings. Great...USF is better than Pitt and Syracuse. What's your point, exactly? You didn't like the announcers. OK. I (and other posters) thought they were good. Is that your only example? That they mentioned Pitt and Syracuse?

And BTW...I like USF and Jose Fernandez, but our conference is terrible. I mean, apologies to the AAC for "belittling" it, but it's true.

The point is in front of a national tv audience he is all but saying bottom-tier ACC teams with no hope of being near the top for a long top is better than anything else in our conference. It's a dumb comment being spread out nationally. Was his comment dumb? I say it is. Pitt and Cuse have been nothing. Mentioning them as relevant as if they would be better than USF is slap in the face to USF and what the other teams are trying to do in our conference. They are competing against the "mediocre Pitt's." When you have a national commentators making dumb comments it needs to be called out. We need our conference to get better. Ignorant comments like what he said doesn't help our conference. These are the type of comments why mid-major teams get so little respect from the NCAA. Maybe USF should have been a higher seed. I doubt that commentator has nay clue about any of that stuff.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense.

SO playing the way you played all year - now all of sudden you should change your style for a game you have no shot to win --
that philosophy makes sense? Really?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
SO playing the way you played all year - now all of sudden you should change your style for a game you have no shot to win --
that philosophy makes sense? Really?
I think you are reading way too much into what the announcer was saying. I didn't get that at all from what they said. Why are you so offended by this? I have heard some pretty bad announcers in women's games, and these two were nowhere near bad. They were very complimentary of both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom