Dear AD Dave | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dear AD Dave

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We've lost to 2 football teams from Massachusetts already this season and neither is the Patriots nor even Boston College.

I get the fact that we were extra shorthanded on coaches this week, but FFS, it's UMass. They pushed us around. Them! We had no answers for them 2nd half on either side of the ball, and the one scoring drive we had we squandered from a TD to a FG.

My God, their fans rushed the field after beating UConn. How bad of a football program do you have to have to do that? And how much worse of a football program do you have to be to lose to that program?

Still venting & pissed that I walked out of that little stadium in Amherst tonight embarrassed that we got our butts kicked by that crappy team and barely put up a fight in the process when we got hit in the nose.

I'm drained as a fan. I've hung in with this program for years now - going to games and hoping for anything to hang our hats on that'll give us hope that we'll climb out of this abyss, but it's been a brutal run. And any spark of hope gets dowsed quickly through misfortune (Puma injury, etc). How much more misery can what's left of this fanbase take?

Today was horrible. Another landmark low for this program. Not confident they can even pull it together enough to beat Yale next week.
This! I have been active on this board and going to games forever, including today, hoping for the best. More importantly, I donated an additional $150 on Friday in addition to my season tickets and 2 blue lot passes since 1995. That ended today.

AD Dave, the Cameron well is dry. I trusted you, you failed me. I will reinvest with vigor when you show me you can make my money worth something more than buyouts for crappy coaches.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Here's my letter...

"Dear Dave,

3n1rRPh.jpg

have to break it down, cuz this is the funniest...
1. 'dear dave'
2. cat's paw,
3. cat's eyes,
4. caption.
u can almost hear the cat talking.....

seriously, this is wrecking us here.... props.

Reaction Score
Why?
Hired Edsall, Made decision to jump to basketball only conference, essentially killing football, during his tenure no significant salary increases for head coach or assistant coach pool, waited to fire Edsall, admission standards not lowered for football players, and can probably think of many many more.

Dave Benedict needs to go. Need a reset on this athletic department and hire a visionary.

Reaction Score
Hired Edsall, Made decision to jump to basketball only conference, essentially killing football, during his tenure no significant salary increases for head coach or assistant coach pool, waited to fire Edsall, admission standards not lowered for football players, and can probably think of many many more.

Dave Benedict needs to go. Need a reset on this athletic department and hire a visionary.

AD Dave gets to make the next Football hire. If this go around is another complete failure, we should join Nova in FCS. Until then, put the Rent upgrades on hold. I cannot believe I am writing this.

Reaction Score
I won’t be at the Rent next week or the rest of the year. I can’t see myself investing in another game this year.

Please do your best in the next hire and I’ll be back next year.
Seriously, I drove up to Amherst for that game. To begin, there was no defense. Then. Things slowly got worse and worse. The play calling was awful and Umass came to play. UConn did not seem ready. I can’t tell you how disappoint the fans were. I didn’t know any of them but we all marveled at how UCONN continued to kill themselves. Penalties. Dropped balls. Horrible play calling. Over and over. It is so frustrating to me. I will say we have a hell of a kicker. We are so hungry for the spirit that was here.

Reaction Score

Benedict never wanted to rehire Edsall, that was forced on him. He had no choice in the matter. Although not an ideal situation, being independent isn’t killing football, terrible coaching did that. Edsall 2.0 could not have done a better job killing and destroying what he built in RE 1.0 if he had wanted to, and some think he did. Benedict saved the men’s basketball program which which had become a dumpster fire.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Funny. I can’t keep track anymore. The spin the last 2 weeks was we were heading in the right direction after near misses against Wyoming and Vanderbilt.
That wasn't the spin. That was the conventional wisdom. Do you know the difference?

Reaction Score
The silence from this University and state officials is deafening. Most Universities have weekly status updates on programs- granted the head coach is out with Covid but where is interim president, AD, Governor discussing current situation? They are all happy to take credit when BB and Women's teams are super successful.

This is a state funded Public University that should answer to fans and taxpayers. I can't believe how poorly this is being handled-or maybe I shouldn't be surprised. The Governor of this state has been granted executive privilege during pandemic- Where is he?

Millions and Millions of taxpayer dollars have been dumped into Football. We are owed an accounting and accountability.

Reaction Score
The silence from this University and state officials is deafening. Most Universities have weekly status updates on programs- granted the head coach is out with Covid but where is interim president, AD, Governor discussing current situation? They are all happy to take credit when BB and Women's teams are super successful.

This is a state funded Public University that should answer to fans and taxpayers. I can't believe how poorly this is being handled-or maybe I shouldn't be surprised. The Governor of this state has been granted executive privilege during pandemic- Where is he?

Millions and Millions of taxpayer dollars have been dumped into Football. We are owed an accounting and accountability.
What makes you think that a State funded University is required to answer to the taxpayer fans of the football team? It would be wonderful if they did, but they never have and I don't believe it’s going to start happening anytime soon either.

Reaction Score
They already answered to you. They pushed Randy out. What do you want them to do, fire the rest of the coaches and let the kids handle this themselves? There isn’t anything to say except that it would be nice to know what happened with Mazzone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The jump to the Big East didn’t kill football. Having three consecutive absolutely miserable head-coaching choices killed football.

CL82

Reaction Score
Benedict never wanted to rehire Edsall, that was forced on him. He had no choice in the matter
I know that this is said on the boneyard often, but is there any authority for this? Any link to a reliable source? It makes sense to me, but it would be nice to know if it is fact or speculation.
Although not an ideal situation, being independent isn’t killing football, terrible coaching did that.
Agree.

Reaction Score
The jump to the Big East didn’t kill football. Having three consecutive absolutely miserable head-coaching choices killed football.
Jumping to the Big East definitely didn't kill football. What killed football is coach P, Disco, and Edsall 2.0. These are the 3 worst hires in the row. Most schools get 1 or 2 wrong, but Uconn managed 3 in the row.

Going indy for football in the current climate is the right move. Uconn can carve out a nice niche as an indy vs. the AAC lineup especially after the latest AAC raid. I am pretty sure most fans would prefer the indy schedule.

Reaction Score
I think we were. I really do. Today was a complete regression to the past. Spanos has been out along with few other coaches. Sounds like Mazzone was not involved this week (inexplicably). It drives home that there is no leadership in the program once an adult steps out of the room.
Pretty sure it was already explained why Mazzone wasn’t involved… NCAA.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was already explained why Mazzone wasn’t involved… NCAA.
I don’t think that’s the case based on the exemption if your coaches are out with COVID. Would be nice to know what the deal is.

Reaction Score
Sure, we're an embarrassment, and it's sickening to see how far we've fallen, but I don't despair. This program can be turned around.
(You should hear my LSU friend who texted me this morning --"horrible year for the Huskies and the Tigers"!) I'm convinced Benedict will make the right choice. The money is there--as is the commitment from the Governor on down. The best story in CF next year could be the rise of UConn from the ashes. And that's a story those Bottom10 folks will love to tell.

Reaction Score
I know that this is said on the boneyard often, but is there any authority for this? Any link to a reliable source? It makes sense to me, but it would be nice to know if it is fact or speculation.

Agree.
There are no internet links to agreements made behind closed doors. Lol. I heard what I know from people up at UConn and some parents of the players. Benedict did not want to rehire Edsall, but his hands were tied because in order to pay off Diaco and his staff Benedict was in the hole for close to $6 million. I don’t know who paid the $6 million but someone did, only on the condition that Randy Edsall be rehired. Since Edsall was coming back on the cheap anyway, Benedict had no choice but to go along, and same someone I’m sure contributed towards Edsall’s salary. This time around though I’m certain that if Benedict doesn’t get his way on the hire he will leave UConn, and I can’t say I blame him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are no internet links to agreements made behind closed doors. Lol. I heard what I know from people up at UConn and some parents of the players. Benedict did not want to rehire Edsall, but his hands were tied because in order to pay off Diaco and his staff Benedict was in the hole for close to $6 million. I don’t know who paid the $6 million but someone did, only on the condition that Randy Edsall be rehired. Since Edsall was coming back on the cheap anyway, Benedict had no choice but to go along, and same someone I’m sure contributed towards Edsall’s salary. This time around though I’m certain that if Benedict doesn’t get his way on the hire he will leave UConn, and I can’t say I blame him.

so what you are saying is Dave was blackmailed into hiring a washed up stubborn turd for 6 million?

if that’s true (likely Boneyard folklore) can we at least know who that person is so he or she can be arrested?

Reaction Score
so what you are saying is Dave was blackmailed into hiring a washed up stubborn turd for 6 million?

if that’s true (likely Boneyard folklore) can we at least know who that person is so he or she can be arrested?
No, I’m not saying that. Your words are your own, not mine.

CL82

Reaction Score
So are you saying that were told that a single individual ponied up $6M conditioned upon Randy being rehired. Because I have not heard that from anywhere else. It would be quite a scoop, if correct.

As a side note, if I had spent $6M on this bucket of s.h.i.t. I'd be pretty pissed.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ironically, it likely is not significantly more or less likely than at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
So are you saying that were told that a single individual ponied up $6M conditioned upon Randy being rehired. Because I have not heard that from anywhere else. It would be quite a scoop, if correct.

As a side note, if I had spent $6M on this bucket of s.h.i.t. I'd be pretty pissed.
I didn’t mean to make it sound like it was a “single individual” as you say. It could have been more than one, but the bottom line was that they would only pay off Diaco and his staff if Edsall took over. I do have some ideas of who was coming up with all that money, but don’t know for sure. As for your side note, if you were one of those spending $6 million, doesn’t it make sense that they knew Benedict was against hiring Edsall? Because if he did recommend hiring Randy, after what we have seen, DB would be packing his bags too.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom