Deandre Daniels..... Disappointing? | The Boneyard

Deandre Daniels..... Disappointing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huskieforlife

My thought going into the year was that Daniels was going to surprise us. So far I have seen very little out of him, and its very disappointing. Can someone here convince me that he will get better. Also I thought he was supposed to be a big time recruit with a great three point shot. Does anyone know why he is missing alot of 3s? Thanks.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
1) He's missing a lot of three pointers cause the ball isn't going through the hoop.
2) If you didn't see a couple of moves he made in the MSU game that don't give you hope they he has potential, I don't know what you are watching.
3) How hard is it to go to the official UConn site and find the stats yourself? For the record .278 from three.
4) He hasn't exactly reached expectations, but I'm excited about what he can become in a 3 or 4 year stint at UConn.

H

Huskieforlife

1) He's missing a lot of three pointers cause the ball isn't going through the hoop.
2) If you didn't see a couple of moves he made in the MSU game that don't give you hope they he has potential, I don't know what you are watching.
3) How hard is it to go to the official UConn site and find the stats yourself? For the record .278 from three.
4) He hasn't exactly reached expectations, but I'm excited about what he can become in a 3 or 4 year stint at UConn.
Everything you said is true. I like his potential. its just we need him in a big way.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He has been inconsistent but has rebounded consistently well and looked very good in stretches....definitely better than last year.
Needs to cut down on the turnovers/be stronger with the ball.
By his senior year he will be a rock

Reaction Score
sometimes i get the feeling that he is shooting just to shoot, as opposed to shooting to make.

as i read back on that i realize that it looks stupid, but i swear there was a legit point in there somewhere.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We could of used a healthy DD in the NCS game. Unfortunately didn't happen and NG did a credible job.

In my mind DD is a freshman. Last year was tough on him and more than likely a setback. He had to deal with being a long distance from home but more importantly he was involved with helping his sister who was being treated for cancer. He didn't play much and JC didn't let him play through his mistakes which, given what the kid was going through last season, didn't help his confidence.

I thought I read he was considering leaving, but unlike RS, MB and the guy who shall not be named, he stuck it out.

He was recruited for the three and is being asked to play the four. My feeling about DD is that he has potential. He's shown signs of playing well. But he's inconsistent. This season fans should follow DD's development and not expect him to be the teams savior. That won't happen because of his inexperience and the team is so flawed. Just think of this season as a training camp for RB, OC and DD. Hope to G-d that an impact big can be recruited next year and watch what DD does his senior year and enjoy.

Reaction Score
sometimes i get the feeling that he is shooting just to shoot, as opposed to shooting to make.

as i read back on that i realize that it looks stupid, but i swear there was a legit point in there somewhere.

Actually that is a great point and can be said for the entire team. Go back and watch the beginning of the MSU game when the team was shooting 90% for the first 10 min. Every shot was taken with purpose and they went in. You can see the difference. Its subtle in how the players set their feet or start their shooting motion, but noticeable.

Yes Daniels appears to do this, we've seen Calhoun shooting for the hell of it more on his three point attempts, Boatright does this off the dribble especially when the defender goes below the screen. The only time Giffey shoots with confidence if off a feed from Wolf (think the little hand-off screen) or if there is no one within 15 ft of him. In fact this is the biggest difference I've seen between Wolf's jumper and Olander's. This is also why Bazz has been so frustrating at times, you know he is money when he has his feet set and you want him to do that everytime, but too often you'd see him just throw it up there (he's been much better about this this year).

I think this is why we've enjoyed Evans he attacks the hoop with purpose.

Reaction Score
My thought going into the year was that Daniels was going to surprise us. So far I have seen very little out of him, and its very disappointing. Can someone here convince me that he will get better. Also I thought he was supposed to be a big time recruit with a great three point shot. Does anyone know why he is missing alot of 3s? Thanks.
He's playing out-of-position. No way he'd ever be a 4 for anyone else. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the skills of a 3.

Reaction Score
didn't mean for that post to be so negative. I'm seeing good things and the opening of the MSU game and to some extent the start of the NCST game showed this team has some offensive potential. I think as the team continues to get comfortable with the offensive sets and what Ollie wants we'll see the players be able to play more on instinct.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He was recruited as a 3, is being asked to play the 4, but wants to play the 2. He is a tremendous athlete that has to realize his limitations and focus on getting to the basket either in post up or in mid-range iso's against slower big men. He must stop the 20 foot pull up jumpers and dribbling through traffic. He can be a good player this year if he just cuts out the nonsense from his game.

Reaction Score
A. He's a sophomore B. He's a sophomore being asked to play a completely different role from what he's played in the past and contribute significantly from it. You can see that he's stuck between two minds (and even leaning back toward his former mind). He can make shots and can create off the dribble, but he can also take bad shots and travel or get an offensive foul. He really needs to work on his inside game (post moves, rebounding) and ball control. He can definitely become a good player, give it some time.

Reaction Score
I read where DD had a tight back according to KO and was not healthy but played as needed. We need more out of DD but I agree with all of the posters who point out the kid is playing out of position. This of course does not take away the fact he turned it over 4 times and hurt us in the 2nd half, no excuses there. But for those who say he as no handle I disagree. It's not great but it's solid if not okay........having said that he tries to handle it in situations he shouldn't, traffic and such. Much better handle than Stanley and Roscoe though as some point out, for sure! He is a work in progress and that's not a bad thing for a team during a long exhibition season!

Reaction Score
He should just get mean, nasty and tough. Throw some elbows, show some emotion and yell at people. That's stuff you can do when you are not playing well. Probably not his DNA.

Seriously though, I'd like to see a more demonstrative DD, could be a lot to ask for but he just appears to be un-involved (even though he is).

Sort of reminds me of the things I said about Big Ben.

Reaction Score
If he can just shoot with confidence and hit the boards with a vengeance I think we'll all be ecstatic, this year. And please leave the open court ball handling to our guards

Reaction Score
Oh and people who compare dd to Stanley are numbskulls . Two different players; sticks showed flashes of great d coupled with incredible hops, dd has shown potential as a stretch guy with length.

H

huskymagic

He was recruited as a 3, is being asked to play the 4, but wants to play the 2. He is a tremendous athlete that has to realize his limitations and focus on getting to the basket either in post up or in mid-range iso's against slower big men. He must stop the 20 foot pull up jumpers and dribbling through traffic. He can be a good player this year if he just cuts out the nonsense from his game.

Hyperbole Nelson? Stanley was a tremendous athlete, Rudy was and is a tremendous athlete, Drummond is a tremendous athlete. DeAndre is an average college athlete who lacks the quickness, ball handling, and outside shot to be a 3, and lacks the size, strength, post play to be a 4. He is in the same boat as Roscoe except Roscoe was a lockdown perimeter defender and could crash the boards with the best of them.

Reaction Score
We could of used a healthy DD in the NCS game. Unfortunately didn't happen and NG did a credible job.

In my mind DD is a freshman. Last year was tough on him and more than likely a setback. He had to deal with being a long distance from home but more importantly he was involved with helping his sister who was being treated for cancer. He didn't play much and JC didn't let him play through his mistakes which, given what the kid was going through last season, didn't help his confidence.

I thought I read he was considering leaving, but unlike RS, MB and the guy who shall not be named, he stuck it out.

He was recruited for the three and is being asked to play the four. My feeling about DD is that he has potential. He's shown signs of playing well. But he's inconsistent. This season fans should follow DD's development and not expect him to be the teams savior. That won't happen because of his inexperience and the team is so flawed. Just think of this season as a training camp for RB, OC and DD. Hope to G-d that an impact big can be recruited next year and watch what DD does his senior year and enjoy.
I think he had tweaked his back in the NC St. game... He came back but that may have impacted him as well.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think he had tweaked his back in the NC St. game... He came back but that may have impacted him as well.
He was having back spasms. He gutted it out but he wasn't the same player after they developed.

Reaction Score
Oh look the 20th post ripping Deandre apart. Hes had a huge confidence issue the last thing he needs is the fans critisizing his every wrong move. Support the hell out of this kid as hes made large leaps from last year and he will keep improving.

H

Huskieforlife

I agree he is out of position and that is not his fault. But then he should realize that he can't shoot. Or work hard on that jumper because it would be great if he could hit those easily. Also am sorry that am being so negative.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree he is out of position and that is not his fault. But then he should realize that he can't shoot. Or work hard on that jumper because it would be great if he could hit those easily. Also am sorry that am being so negative.
Negative! Nah! you are a gnat to freescooters zombie in being annoying.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
deandre has shown a ton more confidence this year, hes going to continue to grow and be a much better player

H

Huskieforlife

Oh look the 20th post ripping Deandre apart. Hes had a huge confidence issue the last thing he needs is the fans critisizing his every wrong move. Support the hell out of this kid as hes made large leaps from last year and he will keep improving.
Last year (when I was not on the yard) I was a huge supporter of Daniels. Hence the reason why I thought he would have a big year. Its still early and he can still turn it around. I will also be a Daniels supporter no matter what. Also am sorry that am very impatient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom