Dayton Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dayton Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2 more things that CD said post-game that seem important:

1. That Crystal can recognize offensive patterns (did CD mention the pick-and-role? I think so) much better than a freshman normally does. What they want now to work on with her is her defense: increase the number of steals, since she's clearly capable of that.

2. Work with Lou on constantly moving to get open. CD is going to show her tapes of Richard Hamilton (CD laughingly said Lou never heard of him), because no one managed to get open better than Rip. I have 2 thoughts about that:
a. I saw a few snippets of the game on ESPN and noted that Lou was already beginning to move much better
b. I think Geno is setting the table for this already: 1. by giving her lots of extra minutes which will build up her game stamina which she'll need if she's more in motion; 2. letting her score more the past 2 games, which is like letting a shark smell blood.

So, it may well be that they want to push Lou to be the super-scorer, go-to guy she was in high school.

Overall, the interview with CD (how they can now have a few days to run a mini-clinic to teach skills as well as game plan, etc) demonstrates how this is an astonishingly well-run, experienced machine: nothing is ever certain in sports, but they've seen and done it all, and know what they can possibly get from their players and are working methodically to try to get them there.

Reaction Score
EP-161129735.jpg&MaxW=960&q=75

EP-161129735.jpg&MaxW=960&q=75
I love the contrast of those two pictures. Natalie looks statuesque and almost serene, like a Renaissance court princess, in blocking that shot, and Kia looks, well, not so serene!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think one thing we must recognize is this is a very young UConn team with tremendous potential. The lack of playing together in the past which does effect team chemistr is coming together with their experience of playing together. One other point with a big lead Geno begins subbing. When he does this tends to keep UConn from running up the score and it gives non starters a chance to gain experience in a real game and not a practice game. As our non starters develop and get playtime the players on the floor become more in sync with each other. We dont have to win by 30 or 40 every game. We need to be developed as a team including everybody because if someone is hurt or in foul trouble their replacement better know what to do and the game needs to continue to flow which again is team chemistry. One thing Geno has done is have his players play as a team and that is done through repetition of running plays. When your moving to where you need to be your not thinking of anything but that. Thinking is what causes ineffectiveness in many cases which leads to mental mistakes which usually results in turnovers. Last nite UConn looked better. There is still some inconsistencies which will be worked out in practice and by playing through them. This team is already alot better then most fans thought. So if UConn wins every game through Decemeber will we be talking about the possibility of another undefeated season? Remember ND a few years ago being undefeated only to lose to UConn.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Odds and ends that I am not sure have been mentioned.

1. Dayton did not pressure the rebounder (unlike the previous three teams) allowing the Huskies to crank up transition. If they are effectively running the break, they are really tough to beat.
2. Collier catches everything. She and Danger will be an awesome three year combo.
3. I was hoping the rope that Geno gave Saniya in the FSU game would continue. She gets the hook quicker than anybody.
4. I feel bad for Butler. She is working really hard and in my view with little to show for it. She had a nice finish but I think struggles with balance at both ends. Still cheering for her.
5. Remember after the first exhibition game when Geno sarcastically suggested that Lou might pass the ball. Lou's six assists to me are as telling as the 29.
6. Kyra needs to get a shot to fall. She looked tentative on offense. She isn't getting many looks but is not taking advantage of the ones she does.
7. IMO they take took less than 5 bad shots. That is amazing for any team at any level. With this program, it is taken for granted. Total team concept.
8. Any word on why Gabby was on the bike during game?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Kia back to back 3s, and then KLS adds one 81-51

00 Saicha Grant-Allen Sr. C 6-5 from Hamilton, Ontario / Glendale .- At the 59:58 mark (watch)a after a three made GRABS and THROWS Kia Nurse to the ground!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
3. I was hoping the rope that Geno gave Saniya in the FSU game would continue. She gets the hook quicker than anybody.
I agree.

Good post all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member