Dawn Staley Award Winner | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley Award Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not surprising you get a lot of offensive rebounds if your guards miss a lot of shots.
We average 47% from the field and our opponents average 33%. The problem is they don't get a lot of offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Those are facts and opinions. What is BS? Ty had 19 points, 11assist, 0 turnovers against UConn. Sabrina had 9 points, 9 assist, 4 turnover. In the final 4 Sabrina struggled shooting the ball against Didi Richards. Ty had her way with Didi Richards in the Virgin islands. 20 points and 7 assist.
And Harris struggled against Maryland, Indiana, and South Dakota, all top-25 teams.

Oregon would be an upgrade over the Indiana team that beat South Carolina by 15!

Reaction Score
This award is supposed to go to the "best guard" in D1, not simply the best point guard. I know that Ionescu will win plenty of awards, but I really don't know how voters could objectively select Harris over Ionescu for "best guard" honors based upon their respective performances during the '19-'20 season.

Reaction Score
Betcha I could do the same with Ty. Again, a unanimous POY and 1st Team AA who is the PG for her team and she loses to a player that did not make the 1st or 2nd team AA. It doesn't wash and disrespects the game. Dawn has to approve the selection and she should have said no to this nomination. Shows that she puts her team above others, both SC selections were not the best PG's in the nation when it was awarded. Guess I got to add another one to ignore.
Dawn had to approve nominations Really?

Reaction Score
I did a little more research on this award considering now two SC players have got it. It's been given out 8 times. I have them listed below and how the WNBA thought of the player by their draft number.

2012-2013 Skylar Diggins, Notre Dame, Sr, WNBA 3rd overall
2013-2014 Odyssey Sims, Baylor, Sr, WNBA 3rd overall
2014-2015 Tiffany Mitchell, SCarolina, Jr, WNBA, 9th overall
2015-2016 Moriah Jefferson, UConn, Sr, WNBA, 2nd overall
2016-2017 Kelsey Plum, UW, Sr, WNBA, 1st overall
2017-2018 Kelsey Mitchell, OSU, Sr, WNBA 2nd overall
2018-2019 Asia Durr, L'ville, Sr, WNBA 2nd overall
2019-2020 Tyasha Harris, SCarolina, Sr, WNBA ?? (projecte 6-8)

It's hard to argue that the 6 non SC choices weren't the best, but it is easy to argue that they had better choices than the South Carolina player. Tiffany Mitchell was the only jr chosen and she won over unanimous AA Jewell Loyd who was also #1 WNBA pick that year as well as UConn's KML who was #3 WNBA pick that year. Moriah Jefferson won the Lieberman award that year. Tiffany was SEC POY so was a worthy candidate but the other 3 certainly were considered better guards than her by the WNBA. Then when she was drafted the following year (when Moriah won) 4 guards were taken over her: #2 Jefferson, #4 Banham, #7 Copper, and #8 Williams.

I could accept there was no bias with the Mitchell choice since she was at least a first team AA that year. The Harris choice is completely embarrassing considering it's named after her coach and she ranks below Sabrina, Rhyne Howard, Chennedy Carter, Aari McDonald, and Dana Evans who are all more worthy candidates and above her on AA teams. I am sure she will not be the top guard taken this coming WNBA draft. I am truly disappointed our coach of our USA team has her name on an award with such bias.
You do realize that team success is weighed in these decisions. Tiffany Mitchell has had a better career than 3 of the 4 players you listed. The player from Iowa was college player of the year. I don't think she got drafted in the first round. So to use when a player gets drafted to weigh a collegiate award is silly.

Tiffany Mitchell was coming off a serious injury and her numbers her senior year was not the same as her junior year (the year she won the award). She was projected to go higher before all that. A'ja was the player of the year in the SEC Tiffany's senior year.

Reaction Score
Wow. Tough crowd. SC was a really good team. A few of u sit here and say SC did not deserve the #1 ranking and Harris do not deserve the award . I smell some BS. You might not like Dawn personality but she is a great coach. And Harris is one of the top 3 PG in the nation and deserved the award. I watch a lot of basketball and SC had a great chance on winning it all. This team was locked on defense and had scores.. Period. Yall are MADD.

Reaction Score
And Harris struggled against Maryland, Indiana, and South Dakota, all top-25 teams.

Oregon would be an upgrade over the Indiana team that beat South Carolina by 15!
Transitive property or it is Six Degrees of Separation doesn't work in basketball. I could say Indiana could defeat Oregon because Indiana beat the team ( Louisville) who beat Oregon but it's no guarantee that Indiana would defeat Oregon just because they beat Louisville.

Reaction Score
This award is supposed to go to the "best guard" in D1, not simply the best point guard. I know that Ionescu will win plenty of awards, but I really don't know how voters could objectively select Harris over Ionescu for "best guard" honors based upon their respective performances during the '19-'20 season.
The voters are in Philadelphia. They probably only saw the big games like me when Ionescu was average at best. Maybe the Pac 12 should make their content more available. IF you go by the numbers, I would have given it to Rhyne Howard since she torched almost every team she played. I think she will be a better pro than Ionescu.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think it's possible to have a stronger "will to win" than Ionescu.

Ty does. That is why she has a national championship her Freshman year and led her team to 32-1 record. I truly believe she would have got her second one this year.

Reaction Score

You are wrong for that. I didn't even mentioned Arizona State.;)

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
When Sabrina faces legit teams outside the Pac 12 (Baylor, Louisville, and UConn) most times, she is average at best.

Was Mississippi St. a legit team last year? Ionescu scorched them in the Tourney.

Reaction Score
Funny to see the SC homers' "rationale" that Ty is better than Sabrina, and then see the Oregon homers' "counter-rationale" that she isn't. I'm a UConn fan and impartial, but it seems to me that if Ty is the best guard in the country and she's a point guard, then she should be odds-on favorite to win the Lieberman Award, right?

Is that what SC fans expect? Ty will also get the "real" award, presented by the Naismith Hall of Fame? Oh. Thought not. Because you know, Ty knows, Dawn knows, and everyone else knows that Sabrina was the best player, the best guard, the best point guard, and is going to sweep that "real" award - again. This Staley award is now officially a joke.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It’s the off-season so rules relax somewhat.
Me, I’m disappointed Crystal wasn’t nominated. I thought Sabrina deserved the award and I thought Crystal deserved to be nominated.
Crystal was on the watchlist for this award up until mid season.
They down selected to 4 finalist sometime after that Carter, Ionescu, Harris & Rhyne Howard.
Crystal was not the only one who got robbed in the downselect IMO, McDonald, Cooper, Dana Evans also did.
Biggest robbery of all was having Zia Cooke on the watch list.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
How many triple doubles did she have as the PG? Who had the highest Assists per game average?

Sabrina

PPG---17.5
APG----9.1
RPG--- 8.6
T/O----2.9
SPG----1.6

Tyasha

PPG---12.1
APG----5.7
RPG----3.5
T/O----1.9
SPG----1.6

Both had the same Assist to Turn Over average of 3, everything else Sabrina cleans her clock and both are the same height.
Here again I made this argument about Boston. Harris didn't need to score and dish out assist or rebound at the rate of Sabrina. Harris played half the game on most nights and there are capable scores all up and down the roster. Harris wasn't carrying the team...she just took the first quarter and lead the team to a large halftime lead and just sat on the bench longer than Sabrina. Harris back ups were just as good as most starters on other teams. That's where all the accolades get misplaced. Harris deserved the award...end of conversation.

Reaction Score
Was Sabrina the PG for Oregon or the SG?
Doesn't matter with respect to the purpose of The Dawn Staley Award. That award is supposed to go to the "best guard" in D1. Ionescu played a guard position.

Reaction Score
Wow. Tough crowd. SC was a really good team. A few of u sit here and say SC did not deserve the #1 ranking and Harris do not deserve the award . I smell some BS. You might not like Dawn personality but she is a great coach. And Harris is one of the top 3 PG in the nation and deserved the award. I watch a lot of basketball and SC had a great chance on winning it all. This team was locked on defense and had scores.. Period. Yall are MADD.

Harris May be one of the top three point guards in the country. But the award is for the best point guard.

Reaction Score
Was Mississippi St. a legit team last year? Ionescu scorched them in the Tourney.
She is a good player. I am sure she had some good games in those situations. I was going off the games I saw. I saw the Louisville game because I ordered Flo Hoops to watch SC. I knew she played well against MSU but I missed that game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I have to take exception with calling Ionescu "average at best" against UConn. She didn't shoot very well, but she was in complete control of that game. Completely carved the UConn defense apart with her passing, Oregon led wire to wire and was hardly threatened all game. Funny the South Carolina fan says Harris doesn't need to score to be effective, then criticizes Ionescu for not scoring. Double standard much? Oregon also has a bunch of scoring options so they don't necessarily need Ionescu to score a lot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think what we have here is a number of people who haven't seen Ionescu play much and a number of people who haven't seen Harris play much. That certainly describes me. It's hard to make a meaningful comparison between two players if you've really only followed one of them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
May I remind our SoCarolina visitors this is a UConn board? We don’t have to approve of the awards being given and we sure as hell don’t have to justify ourselves to visitors on our own board. If you don’t like our opinions, stay on the General board

Reaction Score
Harris May be one of the top three point guards in the country. But the award is for the best point guard.
Lol . I understand everyone have their favorites. Sabrina is good but she is no Sue or DT. I am not seeing the hype behind Sabrina. I am not about to debate over the award both ladies are talented . Ty is deserving of the award. Both are equal.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here again I made this argument about Boston. Harris didn't need to score and dish out assist or rebound at the rate of Sabrina. Harris played half the game on most nights and there are capable scores all up and down the roster. Harris wasn't carrying the team...she just took the first quarter and lead the team to a large halftime lead and just sat on the bench longer than Sabrina. Harris back ups were just as good as most starters on other teams. That's where all the accolades get misplaced. Harris deserved the award...end of conversation.
Or not :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104