Davis & Gray Declare for the Draft | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Davis & Gray Declare for the Draft

Reaction Score
lawd I hate the pressure that is being put on Stevens and the UConn Husky for the 17-18 season
She is being labeled as the next POY. I have seen her do some amazing things but she has not dominated anyone. Unless she gets physically stronger, Wilson will take her lunch money.

Reaction Score
Sorry "milfordhusky", but Davis has the game for the WNBA now. A #2 guard. Though she'll have to work a little harder.
Gray is good, has greatly improved, but will get her shot fed right back to her at this time if she played today with the "Big Girls". If she's not going left, she really can't go much at all. Watch the film, it doesn't lie.

Reaction Score
I do think Stevens will def be a force of nature next year. She is a uber talented player. How do you all see this impacting Collier or positions on your team?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do think Stevens will def be a force of nature next year. She is a uber talented player. How do you all see this impacting Collier or positions on your team?
The addition of Stevens and Camara to the front court allows Gabby and Napheesa to play fewer minutes defending in the post. That adds up to less foul trouble and more productive minutes on offense for Gabby, Napheesa, and KLS. My fear & probably the only down side is the availability of minutes to fully develop Crystal Dangerfield and minutes for this entire Freshmen class. Gabby, KLS & Napheesa developed this year partly because they were thrown into the deep end of the pool and learned to swim quickly. Crystal Dangerfield played 30 minutes in the second game of the season this year and played well. It might be a long time before she gets to play 30 minutes again in a competitive game and it might be even longer for any of the incoming Freshmen. 1/2 dozen OC competitive games and latter part of the NCAA tournament is the only place this team is going to be tested this year.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The addition of Stevens and Camara to the front court allows Gabby and Napheesa to play fewer minutes defending in the post. That adds up to less foul trouble and more productive minutes on offense for Gabby, Napheesa, and KLS. My fear & probably the only down side is the availability of minutes to fully develop Crystal Dangerfield and minutes for this entire Freshmen class. Gabby, KLS & Napheesa developed this year partly because they were thrown into the deep end of the pool and learned to swim quickly. Crystal Dangerfield played 30 minutes in the second game of the season this year and played well. It might be a long time before she gets to play 30 minutes again in a competitive game and it might be even longer for any of the incoming Freshmen. 1/2 dozen OC competitive games and latter part of the NCAA tournament is the only place this team is going to be tested this year.
I think you understate the number of competitive games Uconn will face, and the need to replace Chong's minutes is real and regardless of the starting five, the solution I suspect will not be to split them by relying on Lou and Kia to cover guard minutes and rotating forwards/wings into and out of the 5 on the court. And 30 minutes is not a necessity for development or productive play on the court but rather a reflection of either necessity or actual performance while on the court.

I think Dangerfield had one really good game last year, her second, and if she had been playing better in other games there were plenty of opportunities for her to have played more minutes, but like most freshman including Moriah, her play did not justify expanded minutes. I am certainly hoping that a summer of conditioning and hitting the ground running as a sophomore will change that, because the team certainly needs someone to step forward at PG.

By the way, she had a string of 30, 33, 32, 29, 38, and 29 minute games at the end of the year out of necessity starting with the SC game, and played OK when Nurse was first injured and then out of the line-up. But none of those performances rose quite to the level of play in the Baylor game - they showed areas of improvement on defense but offensively she didn't score as freely, and she still had issues with how she ran the offense and her decisions. All understandable for a freshman.

Reaction Score
Coates wasnt chopped liver... she carried the Gamecocks most of the season (without looking at numbers)

Yes, I just meant that the team would have lost no one from the 11 game winning streak/national title run and but for the Gray and Davis decisions would have been the clear favorite in the SEC. With those two declaring, USC might still win the SEC but I think two or three other teams are going to be in the discussion. Tennessee and Miss State most prominently

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I looking at next years lineup and there are alot of questions. I would think Lou plays the 2 and Stevens plays the three/post. In any event we have better height then any team. Dangerfield will need to be ready for the following season so I expect her to get minutes as she will be Kia's replacement. The rest of the incoming will also see minutes. They almost have to be developed for the following year. I expect to see alot more non starters playing for two reasons. Their development and their future at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you understate the number of competitive games ...
Maybe, I said 1/2 dozen so let's explore that for a second.
Via transfers, graduations, injuries or early WNBA entry these games will be less competitive but still competitive.
South Carolina, Notre Dame, Maryland, Ohio State.
Baylor & Texas will be competitive because both are on the road.
That is my six. Yours?

Reaction Score
Maybe, I said 1/2 dozen so let's explore that for a second.
Via transfers, graduations, injuries or early WNBA entry these games will be less competitive but still competitive.
South Carolina, Notre Dame, Maryland, Ohio State.
Baylor & Texas will be competitive because both are on the road.
That is my six. Yours?

The Baylor game isn't until 2018-2019 season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
According to Doug Feinberg on Twitter:

AP Sources; @GamecockWBB Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray declare for @WNBA draft.

10:26 AM - 4 Apr 2017 · Manhattan, NY

Mercenaries are mercenary. Highly skilled WCBB's targeting a pro-career have to seize the day. What's in DD's head I have not a clue. Delusions of a Final Four with a bunch of freshmen? Or perhaps feelers put out on her behalf were not so encouraging. Find it difficult to belief she would have been first round, let alone #1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom