Davis & Gray Declare for the Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Davis & Gray Declare for the Draft

Reaction Score
That's why USC shouldn't be ranked #1 preseason.

This sounds like I'm back tracking--but those setting up the polls look at the last of depth, transfers, etc ala Uconn 2016
(yes VOWEL GUY--I see the light) and may move them downward--my original posting was with US Carolina's team
intact--not depleted---a fully loaded USC should have been number 1 to start the polls.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Heard this was a possibility yesterday. Wasn't sure about Gray but I guess it was true...

Davis doesn't surprise me. She could go high.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like this because it increases the quality of player that will still be available for the Lynx at #12 in the 1st round.

The latest mock draft had them taking Erica McCall. I would have been surprised if Erica was available at the #12 spot. She can really run and is quite agile and quick for her size (6'3" - 6'4").

With KD declaring, that is at least one player who could very well go in the first round before Erica. Not that she has set the world on fire in her college career, but she has upside. Gray could also potentially go in the 1st round, but not sure. She showed flashes of impressive play for sure.

Anyway, I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to see the Lynx get Erica McCall. They sorely need youth and depth at the PF/C spot. The odds of her being available at #12 just increased slightly.

I agree with your take. The Lynx have the hardest roster for a draftee to make of all the 12 teams. 1st rounders, maybe. 2nd & 3rd rounders, forget it. McCall or Gray would be a good fit in the Lynx organization. However, don't be surprised if BOTH are gone by the time the Lynx are on the clock.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Gotta go out when you're on top.. and right now both of these players are. Davis isn't a surprise, Gray kind of is. We'll see. I figured we were kind of doomed once Mitchell didn't declare, and my heart really began to sink once DeShields and Russell decided to stay. But I have nothing but respect for both Gray and Davis, they came to SC and did what they set out to do.

Either way, this changes things for SC next year. We still have Wilson, and we add a bonafide frontcourt player in Jennings.. Cuevas and Harris will no doubt be the other starters at the 2 and 1 respectively. Not sure who slides into the 3/SF slot... Cliney? Seems likely, although she's yet to be a big scorer at SC (could change but I don't see it, you are who you are). We'll have 11 players on roster next year (7 returning, 4 freshmen), so we'll have the lovely challenge of battling through bench depth again for another year.

Winning the national championship this year was a pleasant surprise for most SC fans, I personally thought we were a year early.. I thought our best chance was next year because we were so young in our bench.. We will be a VERY young team in our bench again next year (8 out of our 11 players next year will be freshmen or sophomores, but even this is misleading since the sophomore Harris will be a starter and a good point guard next year). This lessens my expectations for next year a bit sort of. A positive spin.. we were going to be in a rebuild mode any way post-Wilson, but now Dawn & Co. have a national championship and a few high WNBA draft picks to sell to 2018 and 2019 players as well...

SC will still be good next year but I'm not sure Final Four good. We'll start off the preseason ranked in the #10-12 range.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
biggest winners here? UConn and the Lady Vols. this is a huge blow to SC in the SEC and has a MAJOR impact on next year's title. SC would have returned all 5 starters and been very dangerous. there would be no title this year without those transfers.

Reaction Score
biggest winners here? UConn and the Lady Vols. this is a huge blow to SC in the SEC and has a MAJOR impact on next year's title. SC would have returned all 5 starters and been very dangerous. there would be no title this year without those transfers.

The biggest winners are UCONN! PERIOD! UCONN was going to be dominant regardless if we had Gray and Davis or not but Tennessee fans think they are going to return to prime are sadly mistaking. MR still plays too soft, DD is turnover prone, and Holly is still the Coach. I don't expect nothing to change even with a #1 class. And after another disappointing season I expect all them to leave faster then cockroaches when you turn the lights on LOL.

This is a huge loss for SC but the well isn't dry. People are forgetting we have the two time SEC POY and Final 4 MOP back as well as good supporting cast members. BCM and Jennings are going to be big time scorers and Harrisand Herbert Harrigan are going to make HUGE sophomore leaps due to the absence of Gray and Davis. Also don't sleep on any of our incoming freshman Grissett, Jackson, and Williams play well beyond their years and Troup is probably the best 3 point shooter in the class hands down. I still expect us to win the SEC and get back to the final 4 but I'm glad everyone is still sleeping on us. :D

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm with you. Jury still out on Tennessee and how dominant they will be. They are just adding freshman that have yet to play a college game. It will take HW time to merge these players together. I'm still not convinced that its entirely coaching that's holding them back. Another part of me says its players as well. Jordan Reynolds said herself in a post game interview that they overlooked Alabama in SEC tourney, a team that had beaten them twice before. It will be very interesting to see how their season plays out. Do they have the talent--unquestionably! Can they play as team and execute--to be continued.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Hold your Horses! It's certainly hasn't been made official and neither Allish or Kaela stated the allegations are true, so we'll just have to see what happens.
It's on ESPNW so it must be true!!!! :-O

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

This benefits Tennessee a little, but does this mean Tennessee will coast to the SEC title(s).. No. This does make SC slightly less intimidating. SC will still be tough and regardless of the natty, the media will paint this team as a toothless dog after the losses of Coates, Davis and Gray.. that's going to give them an edge. We still return 3 of our starters that played in the national championship game.

Besides, you're forgetting about Mississippi State.. they return a powerful trio as well. All Gray and Davis leaving does is make the race at the top of the SEC a three team show instead of a 1 featuring 2 show...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Davis is the daughter of a former NBA player and was ranked #2 in her class by HG (ahead of Diamond). She clearly has skills, but can shoot her team out of games as well.

Gray was ranked #7 by HG. She seemed to be more under control than Davis. Some folks at UNC thought Gray was better than DeShields.

Davis may have the bigger upside, but I think they are both good. I might give the edge to Gray as of today.

They have 4-5 days to change their minds.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Davis is the daughter of a former NBA player and was ranked #2 in her class by HG (ahead of Diamond). She clearly has skills, but can shoot her team out of games as well.

Gray was ranked #7 by HG. She seemed to be more under control than Davis. Some folks at UNC thought Gray was better than DeShields.

Davis may have the bigger upside, but I think they are both good. I might give the edge to Gray as of today.

They have 4-5 days to change their minds

They still have a few days to withdraw their names (assuming that they haven't signed with an agent), but doesn't this seem like it's fait accompli? LINK

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure what exactly might cause them to change their minds. Gray & Davis are intelligent young ladies who have probably given their decisions a lot of thought and consulted with family and friends beforehand. They will leave SC with their degrees, a national championship and will almost certainly be top 5-10 in a generally weak draft class.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not surprising but still doesn't make the draft any better.

Reaction Score
The biggest winners are UCONN! PERIOD! UCONN was going to be dominant regardless if we had Gray and Davis or not but Tennessee fans think they are going to return to prime are sadly mistaking. MR still plays too soft, DD is turnover prone, and Holly is still the Coach. I don't expect nothing to change even with a #1 class. And after another disappointing season I expect all them to leave faster then cockroaches when you turn the lights on LOL.

This is a huge loss for SC but the well isn't dry. People are forgetting we have the two time SEC POY and Final 4 MOP back as well as good supporting cast members. BCM and Jennings are going to be big time scorers and Harrisand Herbert Harrigan are going to make HUGE sophomore leaps due to the absence of Gray and Davis. Also don't sleep on any of our incoming freshman Grissett, Jackson, and Williams play well beyond their years and Troup is probably the best 3 point shooter in the class hands down. I still expect us to win the SEC and get back to the final 4 but I'm glad everyone is still sleeping on us. :D
congrats on the title...but the other SEC team with 8 titles did beat your team on their home floor. I am VERY happy for dawn and all of your fellow fans but let's not get carried away with the mean rhetoric. :D

Reaction Score
This benefits Tennessee a little, but does this mean Tennessee will coast to the SEC title(s).. No. This does make SC slightly less intimidating. SC will still be tough and regardless of the natty, the media will paint this team as a toothless dog after the losses of Coates, Davis and Gray.. that's going to give them an edge. We still return 3 of our starters that played in the national championship game.

Besides, you're forgetting about Mississippi State.. they return a powerful trio as well. All Gray and Davis leaving does is make the race at the top of the SEC a three team show instead of a 1 featuring 2 show...
I think that's a fair assessment. the SEC will still be brutal next year no mater what.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Who will start for Dawn next year?

Wilson, of course
Tyasha Harris also seems a lock
Cuevas-Moore?
Harrigan?
Cliney?
That might be one of the most underwhelming lineups of any powerhouse program. That would probably put them 4th or 5th in the SEC and barely in the top 20... IMHO.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure what exactly might cause them to change their minds. Gray & Davis are intelligent young ladies who have probably given their decisions a lot of thought and consulted with family and friends beforehand. They will leave SC with their degrees, a national championship and will almost certainly be top 5-10 in a generally weak draft class.
They wouldn't necessarily be changing their minds. For participants in the NC game, you have only one day to determine whether or not you will put your name in for the draft. After the excitement of the game, it might take a few days to really determine which path you wish to take. By putting in your name for the draft, you buy another 5 days to ruminate (as long as you don't hire an agent). If you decide to come back to school and use your remaining eligibility, you can do so. If you opt for the draft, just leave your name in.

I was just pointing out that Allisha has probably already made up her mind and won't be pulling her name. But putting one's name in the draft is not a firm indicator that a player has actually made up her mind.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom