David Price, The Rays, And Being Pathetic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

David Price, The Rays, And Being Pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yo Z. remember a couple months ago when you made that case that the Pirates were better then Tampa...that was funny darn.

Just please Sink, admit this. Cano is better than Zobrist. Just type it out and hit reply.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All the Sox had to do was win 1/3 of their games in September and they would be in the playoffs.

That says it all!

Reaction Score
Just please Sink, admit this. Cano is better than Zobrist. Just type it out and hit reply.

Cano and Pedroria had better seasons and are better baseball players then Zobrist. But hopefully I made the case that its not nearly as clear cut as most Yank and Red Sox fans make it out to be.

Reaction Score
Cano and Pedroria had better seasons and are better baseball players then Zobrist. But hopefully I made the case that its not nearly as clear cut as most Yank and Red Sox fans make it out to be.

I'll take it.;)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don't think last night's loss will have any effect on NY in the postseason. But Girardi proved himself to be a hypocrite. All week long he talked about trying to win these games without overtaxing his pitching staff or key regulars but then he goes out and sets a ML record for number of pitchers used. He managed last night's game much differently than any other game of the last week. Why?

He could have/should have handed a ball to Brackman and said give me 5 innings kid.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think last night's loss will have any effect on NY in the postseason. But Girardi proved himself to be a hypocrite. All week long he talked about trying to win these games without overtaxing his pitching staff or key regulars but then he goes out and sets a ML record for number of pitchers used. He managed last night's game much differently than any other game of the last week. Why?
How exactly did he overtax his pitchers? He gave a number of them the opportunity to show what they could do in a psuedo-relief role (primarily sizing up Burnett and Hughes) while not giving anyone much of a workload. Other than Proctor (who I doubt was ever considered for a spot on the post season roster) nobody got much of a workload. If he had Hughes or Burnett throw four or five innings, your hypocrite comment may have had some credence. The thing is that no pitcher was overtaxed so your rant sounds like sour grapes.

Reaction Score
As to your last paragraph I would love to see that happen but Tampa's bullpen is not that good and their offense borders on anemic. I think they were shut out at least 15 times this year. Way too many holes in that lineup. I think the Yanks would make quick work of them. I think NY has more to worry about with Detroit.

Agreed on Detroit - Verlander and Fister to start and and Verlander again if necessary? Not good.........................

Can't agree by the way on how the Yanks handled the last series or game. Yanks deserved to be sure they were ready for the Friday night game because they won games in early/mid September. If the Sox did the same they're in but they were plain awful. Worst collapse in the history of the game says it all not at all on the way Girardi handled his staff or lineups. And Papelbon has 2 strikes, noone on and 2 outs and can't get it done (couldn't happen to a nice guy). No need to look past theplayers themselves yet it seems Tito will take one for the team. Ashame!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The last 10 days of this season were the most interesting of any season I can remember since the current wild card system started. The Yankees took care of their own business in the first Tampa series, kept it going with Boston and assured home field while the Rays kept on Boston's heels, and then did what they needed to do for themselves. Interesting, isn't it, that Rays fans cried when Girardi let Romine bat against Poopinhispantslebon, with the sacks loaded and Jeter, A-Rod and Martin were available (no peep from Sox fans then) and now the Sox fans cry when Girardi goes equal opportunity for the Rays. Brilliant for how Girardi handled the last week and the Sox have nobody to blame but themselves.

Personally, I think Girardi used Proctor both against the Sox and against Tampa because he didn't want any extended extra-inning games and had confidence Proctor would implode pretty much the way he has since they acquired him. Genius.

Reaction Score
How exactly did he overtax his pitchers? He gave a number of them the opportunity to show what they could do in a psuedo-relief role (primarily sizing up Burnett and Hughes) while not giving anyone much of a workload. Other than Proctor (who I doubt was ever considered for a spot on the post season roster) nobody got much of a workload. If he had Hughes or Burnett throw four or five innings, your hypocrite comment may have had some credence. The thing is that no pitcher was overtaxed so your rant sounds like sour grapes.

You need to read the post again. I said he had no obligation to overtax his pitching staff meaning his frontline starters and relievers. After that, Girardi should have tried to win the 162nd game with the some of the second tier pitchers that he used that night, i.e. go with them until they struggled. Instead he kept changing pitchers every few batters and made a joke out of the game.

Reaction Score
The last 10 days of this season were the most interesting of any season I can remember since the current wild card system started. The Yankees took care of their own business in the first Tampa series, kept it going with Boston and assured home field while the Rays kept on Boston's heels, and then did what they needed to do for themselves. Interesting, isn't it, that Rays fans cried when Girardi let Romine bat against Poopinhispantslebon, with the sacks loaded and Jeter, A-Rod and Martin were available (no peep from Sox fans then) and now the Sox fans cry when Girardi goes equal opportunity for the Rays. Brilliant for how Girardi handled the last week and the Sox have nobody to blame but themselves.

Personally, I think Girardi used Proctor both against the Sox and against Tampa because he didn't want any extended extra-inning games and had confidence Proctor would implode pretty much the way he has since they acquired him. Genius.

You've been listening to Michael Kay too much. He said the same thing about PHing Jeter or Arod late in that game. That's foolish. ARod is banged up and was never coming into that game. And with Jeter he sat around all night figuring he's not playing and then several hours later you're going to insert him into the game as a PH? He had the night off.

Poopinhispantslebon? Very impressive.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"You've been listening to Michael Kay too much. He said the same thing about PHing Jeter or Arod late in that game. That's foolish. ARod is banged up and was never coming into that game. And with Jeter he sat around all night figuring he's not playing and then several hours later you're going to insert him into the game as a PH? He had the night off."

Actually, I didn't listen to Kay. But it isn't foolish. His real risk was that if the pinch hitter makes an out - about an 80% chance against the Bosox ace reliever - he would have to use Russell Martin behind the plate for who knows how many extra innings. Neither A=Rod nor Jeter would have been going into a field position. Anyone who was following how Girardi managed the last several games and what he was trying to avoid would totally get that his problem was who would catch the rest of the game. And I totally believe he used Proctor because he was worried that using Ayala against Boston would be more likely to prolong the game. Notice that the home-runs Proctor gave up were to the best hitters on both the Red Sox and Rays. He was throwing meatballs the whole month he was with NY.

Reaction Score
Agreed on Detroit - Verlander and Fister to start and and Verlander again if necessary? Not good.........................

Can't agree by the way on how the Yanks handled the last series or game. Yanks deserved to be sure they were ready for the Friday night game because they won games in early/mid September. If the Sox did the same they're in but they were plain awful. Worst collapse in the history of the game says it all not at all on the way Girardi handled his staff or lineups. And Papelbon has 2 strikes, noone on and 2 outs and can't get it done (couldn't happen to a nice guy). No need to look past theplayers themselves yet it seems Tito will take one for the team. Ashame!!

Mau, I think I made it clear that the Sox have nobody to blame but themselves. They got what they deserved. As for NY I thought the way Girardi played it was perfect up until the last game. I did not expect him to use any of his best relievers in that game but his pitching moves were bizarro. He brings AJ Burnett in to face one batter? He should have just used a few of his best second tier pitchers, make a decent good faith effort to try and win the game and be done with it. Instead he changes pitchers every six minutes. You and I know that if you keep changing pitchers every few batters eventually you are going to land on one or two that crap all over the game and that's exactly what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom