David Price, The Rays, And Being Pathetic | The Boneyard

David Price, The Rays, And Being Pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Talk about rolling over and playing dead, Sinkhole...

Reaction Score
He can always focus on the positive. Longoria is going to be the MVP and Zobrist is just as good as Cano and Pedroia.:rolleyes:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It may not be over yet.

Reaction Score
Girardi is doing his best to throw this game. Betcha he brings Proctor in to pitch the 9th inning. Or is there someone even worse I'm not thinking of......

He certainly made sure he has his worst possible lineup in the game at the end!

Reaction Score
Lol, a 320 ft home run with 2 out and 2 strikes is gonna sink the Red Sox season. Fitting.

Reaction Score
I like Girardi a lot but he is looking like an idiot now. Either that, or he looks like a guy that threw a game. I don't really think that is the case but his rush to "rest" his best players is costing a game that actually means something to someone. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call from Selig. We will never hear about it but I would be surprised if it doesn't come. He was pulling his best position players left and right when he had that "comfortable" lead. He was also pulling pitchers that were looking good. It was almost like he was looking for a pitcher that was "off" today. I can see not using key pitchers and even limiting pitches for non-key guys. But there is no excuse for pulling his best position players. Would a few innings of extra rest really make THAT much of a difference?

Reaction Score
I like Girardi a lot but he is looking like an idiot now. Either that, or he looks like a guy that threw a game. I don't really think that is the case but his rush to "rest" his best players is costing a game that actually means something to someone. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call from Selig. We will never hear about it but I would be surprised if it doesn't come. He was pulling his best position players left and right when he had that "comfortable" lead. He was also pulling pitchers that were looking good. It was almost like he was looking for a pitcher that was "off" today. I can see not using key pitchers and even limiting pitches for non-key guys. But there is no excuse for pulling his best position players. Would a few innings of extra rest really make THAT much of a difference?

What? Who cares they lost. If Selig really cared they wouldn't start the playoffs with one game off. Admit it, you are just pissed that Sinkholes Rays got in.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Girardi's pitching plan and execution was just embarrassing. He didn't take the game seriously and fortunately for the Rays the Yanks were running on fumes.

Amazing night.

And Carl Crawford...what a signing Theo!! :eek:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I like Girardi a lot but he is looking like an idiot now. Either that, or he looks like a guy that threw a game. I don't really think that is the case but his rush to "rest" his best players is costing a game that actually means something to someone. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call from Selig. We will never hear about it but I would be surprised if it doesn't come. He was pulling his best position players left and right when he had that "comfortable" lead. He was also pulling pitchers that were looking good. It was almost like he was looking for a pitcher that was "off" today. I can see not using key pitchers and even limiting pitches for non-key guys. But there is no excuse for pulling his best position players. Would a few innings of extra rest really make THAT much of a difference ?
He had NO obligation to play his regulars longer. NONE.

His only obligation was to get his team ready for the playoffs.

Sox had it all in their hands and they blew it. Win tonight, win tomorrow.

zls44

Reaction Score
Something hilarious about Red Sox fans complaining about a walk-off HR around a short pole and over a short fence.

Reaction Score

This. And I'm a red sox fan

Reaction Score

In your rush to disagree in your usual condescending way, you have again failed to comprehend what was actually said. In fact, you injected what you wanted so as to enable you to go on a rant. First of all, why shouldn't he play his regular position players? They have a day off. Playing 1B or CF or SS is not the same as pitching. The guys don't need three or four days of rest. Second, if you start a player, why should you only play them a half game? What's the point in that? Would those extra few innings of rest really have caused their bumps and bruises heal more quickly? In fact, forget about obligation all together. Sure, I bet Selig will have an issue with it due to the integrity of the game. But what about his own team? Do you really want to end on a note like that? Blowing a 7 run lead and losing in an extra inning walk off? Do you have ANY CLUE WHATSOEVER about the mental aspect of sports?!?!?! If you don't think there is at least a chance that the way that last game ended could carry over, mentally, to the playoffs, you really don't have a clue. That is why a team should always play to win. Consistency in one's mental approach is crucial. I think Girardi is a great manager and he was my first choice to replace Torre. But his approach in this last game was foolish.

Reaction Score
Girardi's pitching plan and execution was just embarrassing. He didn't take the game seriously and fortunately for the Rays the Yanks were running on fumes.

Amazing night.

And Carl Crawford...what a signing Theo!! :eek:

Amen, Dove. The Red Sox have nobody to blame but themselves and don't deserve to be in the playoffs. But Girardi made a mockery of that game last night. Totally understand not using front line pitchers but he managed that game like it was a Little League game. Hey, let's give little Joey a chance to pitch the sixth inning. All week long he was saying how he wanted to play to win these games without unduly taxing any pitchers, every day players etc. No problem with that but then last night he keeps going to pitcher after pitcher searching for one to blow it all up. He could have easily stayed with a couple of guys that were pitching well but won't be on the postseason roster. Then he pinch hits for Cano with Posada with the game tied at seven in the tenth after Cano had DH'ed the whole game. Another AB is going to hurt Cano in the postseason?

Reaction Score
In your rush to disagree in your usual condescending way, you have again failed to comprehend what was actually said. In fact, you injected what you wanted so as to enable you to go on a rant. First of all, why shouldn't he play his regular position players? They have a day off. Playing 1B or CF or SS is not the same as pitching. The guys don't need three or four days of rest. Second, if you start a player, why should you only play them a half game? What's the point in that? Would those extra few innings of rest really have caused their bumps and bruises heal more quickly? In fact, forget about obligation all together. Sure, I bet Selig will have an issue with it due to the integrity of the game. But what about his own team? Do you really want to end on a note like that? Blowing a 7 run lead and losing in an extra inning walk off? Do you have ANY CLUE WHATSOEVER about the mental aspect of sports?!?!?! If you don't think there is at least a chance that the way that last game ended could carry over, mentally, to the playoffs, you really don't have a clue. That is why a team should always play to win. Consistency in one's mental approach is crucial. I think Girardi is a great manager and he was my first choice to replace Torre. But his approach in this last game was foolish.

I don't think last night's loss will have any effect on NY in the postseason. But Girardi proved himself to be a hypocrite. All week long he talked about trying to win these games without overtaxing his pitching staff or key regulars but then he goes out and sets a ML record for number of pitchers used. He managed last night's game much differently than any other game of the last week. Why?

Reaction Score
I don't think last night's loss will have any effect on NY in the postseason. But Girardi proved himself to be a hypocrite. All week long he talked about trying to win these games without overtaxing his pitching staff or key regulars but then he goes out and sets a ML record for number of pitchers used. He managed last night's game much differently than any other game of the last week. Why?

I don't think there was a malicious intent. I think he thought he had the game wrapped up and thought he was doing the players a favor by giving them "extra rest". Now he risks that his actions might have had a negative mental impact on the team

zls44

Reaction Score
Girardi said on Tuesday that he wasn't going to use any of his pitching regulars.

DONT.
BLOW LEADS.
IN BALTIMORE.

Reaction Score
Girardi said on Tuesday that he wasn't going to use any of his pitching regulars.

DONT.
BLOW LEADS.
IN BALTIMORE.

Reading comprehension not your strong suit, eh? Never said he should use his pitching regulars.

Reaction Score
I have nothing but respect for the Rays. They showed a level of fortitude that the Sox really never could muster all year. And while one can criticize how Girardi managed the game, the reality is that even on bad pitches, the Rays didn’t miss them. Even in a home run derby guys usually make outs more than hit HRs, and to do it in game conditions even on a meatball with 2 outs and the season on the line is nothing but admirable. Nor did the Rays stop playing defense when down 7 runs, and held the line, which gave them a chance. I don’t really know if the Sox could have done the same this year in that same situation.

As a Red Sox fan, you have to be used to a certain level of drama, which seems like over the long-haul it goes both ways. They are dramatic in how they win and dramatic in how they lose, and that’s just the way it is. It’s seriously disappointing they couldn’t do better. Even with the injuries, 90 wins is simply not enough for the team they put on the field. But that’s baseball, and there’s always next year.

I tend not to believe in too many baseball superstitions – a few here and there – but it really does seem like baseball is more susceptible to amazing stuff than other sports. We’ll see, but helping the Rays punch their ticket is something that really might come back at the Yankees.

Reaction Score
I have nothing but respect for the Rays. They showed a level of fortitude that the Sox really never could muster all year. And while one can criticize how Girardi managed the game, the reality is that even on bad pitches, the Rays didn’t miss them. Even in a home run derby guys usually make outs more than hit HRs, and to do it in game conditions even on a meatball with 2 outs and the season on the line is nothing but admirable. Nor did the Rays stop playing defense when down 7 runs, and held the line, which gave them a chance. I don’t really know if the Sox could have done the same this year in that same situation.

As a Red Sox fan, you have to be used to a certain level of drama, which seems like over the long-haul it goes both ways. They are dramatic in how they win and dramatic in how they lose, and that’s just the way it is. It’s seriously disappointing they couldn’t do better. Even with the injuries, 90 wins is simply not enough for the team they put on the field. But that’s baseball, and there’s always next year.

I tend not to believe in too many baseball superstitions – a few here and there – but it really does seem like baseball is more susceptible to amazing stuff than other sports. We’ll see, but helping the Rays punch their ticket is something that really might come back at the Yankees.

As to your last paragraph I would love to see that happen but Tampa's bullpen is not that good and their offense borders on anemic. I think they were shut out at least 15 times this year. Way too many holes in that lineup. I think the Yanks would make quick work of them. I think NY has more to worry about with Detroit.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The LOLrioles were over the top in their celebration last night. The Rays, Yankees, and Blue Jays (assuming bullpen changes) are all 95-100 wins teams next year and the Red Sox still have talent. Look for Baltimore to win about 55 games in 2012.

Reaction Score
The thought that last nights loss is going to have some sort of "mental" effect on the Yankees going forward is really quite amusing. Maybe huskymaniac's beer softball league team can't rebound from a loss like that, but you're talking about a team of guys like Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Sabathia, A-Rod, etc, etc. And guess what? None of them were on the field when the Yankees lost this game! This is especially funny considering the way UConn ended their season with losses to West Virginia and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Talk about rolling over and playing dead, Sinkhole...

Yo Z. remember a couple months ago when you made that case that the Pirates were better then Tampa...that was funny .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom