David Benedict is a coward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

David Benedict is a coward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a huge DB supporter but he's really is dropping the ball here. They need to move on with Edsall. How can you bring him back after this mess? Who's going to spend money on tickets next year?
I don't think a new coach is going to sell more tickets but i do know a few people who have made their minds up about not renewing.

With Randy all you get is excuses and zero self reflection.

Reaction Score
he did a good job with next years schedule on such short notice. That’s about it. Going to the big east will be his legacy and it will not age well.
The Big East move is going to be great. Young fans/older fans have rejoiced when it comes to basketball. They will be playing better competition, better tv exposure, rivalries.

I know the football fans aren't happy and I completely get it. But this was the move the school had to make. And I do believe strongly that with the right coach independent can work with football. But it starts with firing Edsall.

Reaction Score
I don't think a new coach is going to sell more tickets but i do know a few people who have made their minds up about not renewing.

Yeah I don't think a new coach sells more tickets but it helps you keep the loyal fans that have stayed with the team through these hard seasons.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

This.

Reaction Score
he did a good job with next years schedule on such short notice. That’s about it. Going to the big east will be his legacy and it will not age well.

He also deserves a ton of praise for landing Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
There can be no one worse than this

And don’t forget how poorly he recruited. The team still lacks depth because of him.

I could understand why Warde would get snookered by a young assistant from Notre Dame.

Anyone with access to media guides of Edsall first 3 years with Holtz's players knew what we were gonna be in store for. At least 4-5 years of absolute suckage. Edsall cannot handle anything out of his comfort zone, certainly not coaching players that he didn't recruit. The only thing that stopped the bleeding in the first go around was Orlovsky and the chance to sell players on the Big East. He had neither this time. There was no excuse to not know what we were getting into.

Reaction Score

Career record is now 80-99.

So we need to go 19-0 for him to get to .500? It's doable...not likely, but we could have a 19 straight win streak...

Only if we played Rham, E.O Smith, a few Vermont high schools, a few New Hampshire high schools, a few Maine high schools and maybe a few high school in non football countries... :)

Reaction Score
I remembered when DB was hired and how glad we were when we heard about it. I guess we aren't ever going to be happy! I doubt we would ever be happy if we reincarnated Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, Red Grange and Walter Camp and have DB hire them as co-coach. We would ask DB why it took so long for him to reincarnated them. :)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The buyout is $0. It is inevitable. Fire him.

not going to happen.
You cannot change coaches every three years, you can't.

He will get one more year unless he leaves on his own. People have short memories of what was here before. #MoreVitaminD #CrazyPressConferences #RecruitedSlowTallPlayers #ThankGodHeIsGone

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
not going to happen.
You cannot change coaches every three years, you can't.

He will get one more year unless he leaves on his own. People have short memories of what was here before. #MoreVitaminD #CrazyPressConferences #RecruitedSlowTallPlayers #ThankGodHeIsGone
This is literally the dumbest logic and I see it pop up all the time. So because the former President and AD made a bad hire we shouldn’t can our current crappy head coach?

Reaction Score
I still can’t see the rationale behind always looking at Diaco and blaming him. Yes, we had horrible issues with him but he went to a bowl game and beat a highly ranked and undefeated Houston team. He also kept us in games.

People make like Diaco was even worse than he was in reality in order to justify Edsall’s tenure. By any measure, Diaco had more success than Edsall. Yes, Diaco recruited horribly, but if Edsall has a 5 year plan to improve personnel and win games, he’d better accelerate it because our level of improvement over 3 years is minimal at best. We have more speed and talent but it isn’t resulting in better teams.

Enough with Diaco. He’s long gone and we don’t appear to be any better for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still can’t see the rationale behind always looking at Diaco and blaming him. Yes, we had horrible issues with him but he went to a bowl game and beat a highly ranked and undefeated Houston team. He also kept us in games.

People make like Diaco was even worse than He was in reality in order to justify Edsall’s tenure. By any measure, Diaco had more success than Edsall. Yes, Diaco recruited horribly, but if Edsall has a 5 year plan to improve personnel and win games, he’d better accelerate it because our level of improvement over 3 years is minimal at best. We have more speed and talent but it isn’t resulting in better teams.

Enough with Diaco. He’s long gone and we don’t appear to be any better for it.

The rationale is that the first bold is a moot point at this point. He did that with PP's guys for the most part. Give him credit for finding BS, but as far as recruits his guys weren't playing big roles yet.

The 2nd bold is all that is relevant for Edsall's tenure. Has nothing to do with trying to justify Edsall's tenure, its reality.

Reaction Score
The rationale is that the first bold is a moot point at this point. He did that with PP's guys for the most part. Give him credit for finding BS, but as far as recruits his guys weren't playing big roles yet.

The 2nd bold is all that is relevant for Edsall's tenure. Has nothing to do with trying to justify Edsall's tenure, its reality.
Had pretty good defense and he only coached LBs and special teams. It was like he didn’t care if they won or lost as long as the D played well. At the time brought needed energy that unfortunately faded.

Reaction Score

I’m not really sure exactly what your point is, and I mean that respectfully. I’m just saying, in this day and age with so many transfers on the market, if you don’t dramatically improve in 3 full seasons, you probably have the wrong coach. Diaco is ancient history when you look at schools like SMU bringing in dozens of players. Why can’t we grab even a handful?

I really want Randy to succeed but he needs to show some signs of life ASAP and losing our best player is not a sign of life. Tyler Coyle is NFL bound and he must really want out to screw with what he’s got going at UConn. It’s risky. He’s a showpiece here yet he wants to leave.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The Big East move is going to be great. Young fans/older fans have rejoiced when it comes to basketball. They will be playing better competition, better tv exposure, rivalries.

I know the football fans aren't happy and I completely get it. But this was the move the school had to make. And I do believe strongly that with the right coach independent can work with football. But it starts with firing Edsall.
I'm going to admit that I thought the move to the BE was terrible and not going to be what everyone thought it would be. It would be such a huge hit on the FB team that it was an awful move. Then I watched the Xavier game and it was some old school, physical bball and I knew it was the right call.

The FB program is in shambles and it is time that I have admitted that bball is what needs to be the focus of our University and football is just there. I'll still be a huge fan and RE needs to go, but my care for this team is really diminishing as each terrible season wanes on...

So I have to admit that DB is a success. He realized what needed to be done and followed through with it, even if it killed the football program

Reaction Score
It is a silly thread and a silly position

Benedict ... Big East Conference, Ollie, Diaco etc. He has made the consequential decisions. He is fine.
Can't gloss over the fact that he extended both Diaco and Ollie before firing them. Donors stepped up and helped with Diacos buyout, but not Ollie's.

Reaction Score
I’m not really sure exactly what your point is, and I mean that respectfully. I’m just saying, in this day and age with so many transfers on the market, if you don’t dramatically improve in 3 full seasons, you probably have the wrong coach. Diaco is ancient history when you look at schools like SMU bringing in dozens of players. Why can’t we grab even a handful?

I really want Randy to succeed but he needs to show some signs of life ASAP and losing our best player is not a sign of life. Tyler Coyle is NFL bound and he must really want out to screw with what he’s got going at UConn. It’s risky. He’s a showpiece here yet he wants to leave.

My point is that Diaco is terrible and no one is making him out to be worse than he was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom