David Benedict is a coward | Page 3 | The Boneyard

David Benedict is a coward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're lucky to have Benedict. And Edsall is not being fired. He's already putting together a stronger group for next year. Disgruntled players (like disgruntled employees) are corrosive. Let them go, and wish them well, but I'm supporting the players we have and those who will be stepping up.

Reaction Score
People are insinuating that Randy would be doing better if he hadn’t followed Diaco, I disagree. He plays to lose. He tries to protect 7 point leads in the middle of the game, he runs a totally predictable and sometimes mind boggling offense and he just keeps doing the same thing over and over. I think Diaco would have won more games than Edsall the last 3 years even with his plodding FCS players.

Diaco did all those things to a greater degree than Edsall does. Throw out the occasional fake fg (which were mostly bad decisions) and Diaco is a more conservative Edsall, with a crazy personality that players eventually saw through and stopped responding to, who recruits even worse than Edsall and hasn't shown a track record of developing lightly recruited guys. An aggressive play for Diaco is not fair catching a punt return.

None of this is to defend Edsall, but Diaco is worse at almost everything, and him squeaking out 6 wins with a roster of mostly guys he didn't bring in does not mean he'd be any more successful with the fcs guys he did bring in.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We're lucky to have Benedict. And Edsall is not being fired. He's already putting together a stronger group for next year. Disgruntled players (like disgruntled employees) are corrosive. Let them go, and wish them well, but I'm supporting the players we have and those who will be stepping up.

So you support the players, but you call the 8 players leaving "corrosive"?? And your evidence of that is what exactly? And your evidence of us being stronger next year while losing multiple starters to defection is what exactly?

No, I have no reason to believe that those players leaving are corrosive, simply because Edsall would have benched them if they were. No, the evidence unfortunately starts to point in the other direction. And I'm saying that as a former Apologista. Unless you have something to share about those players, why make those comments...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So you support the players, but you call the 8 players leaving "corrosive"?? And your evidence of that is what exactly? And your evidence of us being stronger next year while losing multiple starters to defection is what exactly?

No, I have no reason to believe that those players leaving are corrosive, simply because Edsall would have benched them if they were. No, the evidence unfortunately starts to point in the other direction. And I'm saying that as a former Apologista. Unless you have something to share about those players, why make those comments...
I read his post differently. Basically he was saying it is better to have guys who actually want to be a part of rebuilding UConn football than guys who don't want to be here anymore. It's tough to disagree with that. I didn't read it as a shot at the guys leaving individually.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I read his post differently. Basically he was saying it is better to have guys who actually want to be a part of rebuilding UConn football than guys who don't want to be here anymore. It's tough to disagree with that. I didn't read it as a shot at the guys leaving individually.

If I misread it, then my bad. But the words disgruntled and corrosive were used as descriptors. Those aren't often lightly chosen...

Reaction Score
The buyout is $0. It is inevitable. Fire him.
I think you should say it to him directly. Tell him he's a coward. At this point, talking junk here means nothing.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think you should say it to him directly. Tell him he's a coward. At this point, talking junk here means nothing.
I did at Tulane. From the stands about 5 rows back from the field.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Hoophound, post: 3357797, member:
I think Diaco would have won more games than Edsall the last 3 years even with his plodding FCS players.
[/QUOTE]
Like Navy?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do not take Edsall going into next year as a Benedict white flag. DB will be further into the fb program ... and the word is the edge is sharp.

Your lips to G-d’s ears.

Reaction Score
There can be no one worse than this

And don’t forget how poorly he recruited. The team still lacks depth because of him.

I know Diaco's recruiting has been discussed endlessly in numerous threads on this board, but I'm still puzzled as to why he was not able to get better recruits than he did. He was young, energetic, enthusiastic about the program and charismatic in his own Diacoesque way, all traits that recruits like in a coach. By all accounts the players liked playing for him, and played hard, at least up until the disaster in Annapolis. He seemed to be turning the program around in his second season. Yet the recruiting was woefully deficient.

Why so bad? Was it primarily the fault of assistant coaches who didn't perform on the recruiting trail? Did he just not go after enough FBS caliber players? Was it a misguided recruiting philosophy that favored kids with "big frames" but not necessarily speed, agility and quickness? Lack of well-developed connections with high school coaches? All of the above? Something else? Just hard for me to fathom how he missed so badly, given the things that he did have going for himself.

Reaction Score
Move to the Big East is the right move.
Football independence can work with the right coach and schedule.

That being said, Randy Edsall 2.0 was absolutely one of the worst hires. There is a reason why he was available for cheap the second time around. He might win with Alabama players where he has a huge athletic advantage over his opponents. He won't win here. He plays to lose, and his offense stinks.

David Benedict needs to fire Edsall now. If not, we need to get rid of David Benedict.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was wait and see on Edsall for next year. Now that all these transfers are leaving, I’m on the fire Edsall bandwagon. The only reason I saw to retain him was to minimize the transfers. These kids, for the most part, that are leaving aren’t even thanking Edsall. I don’t see how it could possibly get worse. I know he’s not getting fired, so I hope I am dead wrong about this. Come on UConn!
have you taken a deep dive to see who these xfers out really are?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Because since DB has come to the program things have gone in the right direction within the Atheltic Department.

He got rid of Diaco.
He got Hurley for the MBB team.
He got the basketball team in the NBE.
He put together a solid Independent schedule.
Donations/season ticket purchases have become more transparent.

The big mess up he's had is the hiring of Edsall. However, most people were happy with the hire at the time.

So if he went out a fired Randy and got a young new coach I can't see how people could really hate the guy. He truly cares about this program and wants to get it back to a high level. 1
Diaco- No Brainer
Hurley- No Brainer and only "big name" at the time who would come into the AAC mess
NBE - had been in the works for some time but he did have a hand in it
Schedule - not only him
Donations/season tickets - mediocre at best

DB is a db and he has to go- he cares zilch about UConn - his eyes are on the SEC ONLY

Reaction Score
Why so bad? Was it primarily the fault of assistant coaches who didn't perform on the recruiting trail? Did he just not go after enough FBS caliber players? Was it a misguided recruiting philosophy that favored kids with "big frames" but not necessarily speed, agility and quickness? Lack of well-developed connections with high school coaches? All of the above? Something else? Just hard for me to fathom how he missed so badly, given the things that he did have going for himself.

I don't follow recruiting as much as some, but i believe he did go after a lot of highly rated guys. Many were guys we had no shot at but the idea was to build relationships with big programs. Some have posted that he favored intangibles way too much over athleticism. Which makes the fact that Edsall doesn't seem to like the character of a lot of his guys more confusing. Besides that, size over speed, and I think that while on paper he's a young charismatic coach, he's so freaking weird that guys didn't fall for it.

Reaction Score
DB has made some good moves. Once he expended his personal capital on Lashlee and Edsall (and the admin) screwed him, I think he washed his hands of the mess. It’s clear he has no juice to move football forward because the admin simply doesn’t care.

Reaction Score
Do not take Edsall going into next year as a Benedict white flag. DB will be further into the fb program ... and the word is the edge is sharp.

the edge is sharp. That’s a good one. Did you see what Incompetent DB said about edsall when asked if he would be fired? Guy has zero clue. Further into the football program - yeah sure.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Depends who is handing him hot dogs on Saturdays.

Reaction Score
not going to happen.
You cannot change coaches every three years, you can't.

He will get one more year unless he leaves on his own. People have short memories of what was here before. #MoreVitaminD #CrazyPressConferences #RecruitedSlowTallPlayers #ThankGodHeIsGone
You change coaches when you know that it’s time. It’s time! Has nothing to do with what was here before.

Reaction Score

Losing and lack of self-awareness and support by poor bosses and poor coaches lead to disgruntled employees. When the situation becomes unhealthy and or untenable (read hopeless) you come to a tipping point. We have reached that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom