David Benedict Interview (7/25) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

David Benedict Interview (7/25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This makes me think there's a lot of turmoil in the B12 about Houston. The show should have hit the road already. Instead, these shmoes are trying to figure out what to do.
Or they have decided, for whatever reason, to speak to others first. That doesn't necessarily mean that we are unwanted. It could mean that they don't have unanswered questions about us.

Reaction Score
Come on man why would he say he has talked to them if he's been saying Uconn is being private with their courtship. Clearly we aren't broadcasting. And if he said we'd been talking it'd raise expectations from fans as well and if we didn't get picked it'd be a huge let down
It will be a huge letdown anyways if UConn is left out again.

Reaction Score
Sharing from another thread...
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
For those who have asked about UCONN's AD comments today in not being contacted by Bowlsby directly...

Greg Flugaur
@flugempire

BTM/OU contacts: Multiple Universities have knowledge, been told directly or indirectly, that they will recieve invite for Presentations.
1:31 PM - 22 Jul 2016

There is a reason why OU contacts forwarded the phrase "or indirectly" in their info dump.

Also pay attention to UCONN's AD comments of "we are expecting to hear from (Bowlsby)"...
There is a reason for this...

@MattNecci
My only answer...again I repeat...there is a reason why OU contacts used the phrase "..or indirectly" in info dump.

@MattNecci
UCONN AD did not mislead in his comments.
And he is also confident they will be "officially contacted "directly" by Bowlsby.

Spencer Freeman ‏@srfreeman25 · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire UConn, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston still the favorites?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@srfreeman25
Yes.

Reaction Score
This makes me think there's a lot of turmoil in the B12 about Houston. The show should have hit the road already. Instead, these shmoes are trying to figure out what to do.

Adding Houston is probably the driver for B12 to go to 14. In my opinion, B12 must go to 14 regardless for safety, to match other P5 conferences, and get into new markets for TV/B12 network etc down the road.

If they gonna add Houston, adding just one other school would make this realignment move look like a joke. If Houston is added along with Cincy or BYU, it would not look too good. It would just look like Texas politics won again.

If they add UCONN, Houston, BYU, and Cincy, then B12 got into 3 new markets in CT/NYC, Cincy, and UTAH. That's much easier to swallow for existing fans. It would also make it easier for the B12 to split into 2 divisions and play a championship game. Also, it would bring new properties to the conference like UCONN men's basketball, UCONN women's basketball, BYU football etc. Games like UCONN/Kansas or women's Baylor/Texas/UCONN games would be great draws for TV.

Let's hope they add 14. Meanwhile, all we can do is pray and keep pushing what we offer. Hopefully, that will be enough to get us an invite.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Adding Houston is probably the driver for B12 to go to 14. In my opinion, B12 must go to 14 regardless for safety, to match other P5 conferences, and get into new markets for TV/B12 network etc down the road.

If they gonna add Houston, adding just one other school would make this realignment move look like a joke. If Houston is added along with Cincy or BYU, it would not look too good. It would just look like Texas politics won again.

If they add UCONN, Houston, BYU, and Cincy, then B12 got into 3 new markets in CT/NYC, Cincy, and UTAH. That's much easier to swallow for existing fans. It would also make it easier for the B12 to split into 2 divisions and play a championship game. Also, it would bring new properties to the conference like UCONN men's basketball, UCONN women's basketball, BYU football etc. Games like UCONN/Kansas or women's Baylor/Texas/UCONN games would be great draws for TV.

Let's hope they add 14. Meanwhile, all we can do is pray and keep pushing what we offer. Hopefully, that will be enough to get us an invite.

What the hell do existing fans care about markets?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Would you like me to move the post then?

Your call. Not trying to tell you to do anything, just saying you got some good stuff here and could easily fall into that category.

Good catch.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
At the end of the interview, Benedict said "We've had other opportunities like this previously with the ACC and the Big 10..."

When was the Big 10?
Maybe when Rutty was added? Anywho - whoops he probably did mean to mention it.

Reaction Score
every time Benedict does an interview, I feel somewhat worse about our chances.

that's not to say I'm right to feel that way, but it's always the result

I actually feel the exact opposite. Benedict shows a real passion and enthusiasm for UConn that was seriously lacking with WM. I feel a lot better with DB as our AD moving forward. I'm optimistic about us getting out of this conference nightmare we've been suffering through after he speaks.

Reaction Score
link is broken unfortunately. someone needs to help them with a new website...
Go to Whats Playing at the top of the page and then click on Best of Waynes Show.

Reaction Score
Go to Whats Playing at the top of the page and then click on Best of Waynes Show.
I ended up finding it. I found the interview to be more uplifting than most here seemed to. He answered everything very freely besides realignment questions and I'm sure he had his notes for those. that's a good sign imo

Reaction Score
I actually feel the exact opposite. Benedict shows a real passion and enthusiasm for UConn that was seriously lacking with WM. I feel a lot better with DB as our AD moving forward. I'm optimistic about us getting out of this conference nightmare we've been suffering through after he speaks.
I think Warde knew that his days at UConn were limited and may have had an agreement with Michigan before he even took the UConn job. He was just biding his time. That's why it really didn't faze him when he flubbed the ACC deal.

Reaction Score
I think Warde knew that his days at UConn were limited and may have had an agreement with Michigan before he even took the UConn job. He was just biding his time. That's why it really didn't faze him when he flubbed the ACC deal.
Jt7SXGN.gif

Reaction Score
I don't get the fascination with Memphis. In my opinion UConn is head and shoulders above Memphis. Some say Memphis "will build a bridge to WVU and give it a travel partner". As a WVU fan I can tell you we have nothing in common with them. Mapquest tells me we are closer to UC and UConn. Here's hoping one or both of you get in.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Memphis had 2 good years in football with a coach and QB who have both moved on. They have an even grimmer recent history than us outside of that. To assume they'll remain relevant is a big leap IMO. Basketball drove their addition to the (then) Big East and they've been very underwhelming there as well.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Exactly. Herbst should be out there networking with all the B12 presidents. She should be hammering home UCONN's academic credentials. While the media is constantly harping on the importance of football, presidents care about academics. UCONN has a HUGE advantage vs. other schools with academics, and we need to promote the hell out of that. I am sure OU, Kansas, and UT would rather associate with UCONN than Memphis when it comes to academics.

Men down here like barbecue. She should be taking them to all-you-can-eat barbecue buffets (brisket/ribs/sausage). And some airline tickets to Vegas or Cancun wouldn't hurt.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I take all this "nobody has contacted us" rhetoric as a trust building exercise. Conferences hate schools with loose lips when it comes to realignment. The only people who know whether or not UConn has spoken to the Big 12 are inside those closed walls and that's it. No pamphlets. No flyers. No tweets. No daily updates of whether or not we will play on certain days or as a one-sport only member. Just good ol' fashioned corporate trust building. No matter how hard or how often pressed, UConn doesn't spill the company coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom