Dartmouth basketball team is unionizing | The Boneyard

Dartmouth basketball team is unionizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So if you aren't getting paid then how are you an employee? Any labor relation experts on here?

Reaction Score
If I’m Dartmouth I announce that we are terminating the men’s basketball program.
It's been on life support for decades.

In the last 25 years this "program" has had one winning season, an overall record of 220-453 (.327), an Ivy League record of 100-236 (.298). BTW, that one winning season was 25 years ago.

Reaction Score
So if you aren't getting paid then how are you an employee? Any labor relation experts on here?
Whether or not NCAA athletes are employees is extremely disputed territory. Courts have been hearing it off and on for years now. The NLRB thinks they are, but the courts have often sided with NCAA. The 3rd Circuit is due to hear on it soon I think.

Reaction Score
It's been on life support for decades.

In the last 25 years this "program" has had one winning season, an overall record of 220-453 (.327), an Ivy League record of 100-236 (.298). BTW, that one winning season was 25 years ago.
Sounds more like they have been out on strike for decades........

Reaction Score
Whether or not NCAA athletes are employees is extremely disputed territory. Courts have been hearing it off and on for years now. The NLRB thinks they are, but the courts have often sided with NCAA. The 3rd Circuit is due to hear on it soon I think.
NLRB has ruled 3 ways on the issues of students as employees, but almost always they only address private universities, not public ones. I think public U's are covered by state laws. In some states, public employees have the right to unionize, in others they don't.

1st decision:
"In its decision in New York University (NYU), 332 NLRB 1205 (2000), the NLRB held that certain university graduate students were statutory employees. Applying the common-law agency test, the NLRB concluded that these students fell within the statutory definition of employee and noted that the collective bargaining process was feasible in the university context. "

2nd decision: "NLRB decision says graduate students are not statutory employees. The National Labor Relations Board has upheld Brown University's argument on appeal that graduate teaching assistants are students – not statutory employees – and are therefore not an appropriate unit for collective bargaining. The NLRB overruled NYU in Brown University, 342 NLRB 483 (2004). In Brown University, the NLRB held that the graduate students, teaching assistants and research assistants did not fall under the statutory definition of employee. The NLRB reasoned that these individuals have a predominantly academic relationship with the school and their job positions arise only because the individual is a student."

3rd decision: "In 2016, the NLRB changed positions again in Columbia University, 364 NLRB No. 90 (2016), overruling Brown University, reinstating NYU, and asserting its jurisdiction over colleges and universities, indicating that an employment relationship can still exist even though the employee is also a student."

Then in 2020, the NLRB issued a new rule to cut through matters. They stated that students who received tuition remission should, as a matter of course, sign waivers affirming that they are NOT employees and that they are students.

The 2020 declaration would need to be legally tested, and I'm not sure that any university has used that language in the offering of scholarships. If they have, the NLRB has already said they would recognize its validity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why? Can't tell if you're serious or not.
OP is certainly welcome to share his own thoughts, but I believe everyone deserves to be empowered with a democratic say in all avenues of life. Certainly in the workplace, but also in government and in civil society as well. When union participation was much higher in the post-WWII era, wages were much higher (adjusted for inflation) and the American "middle class" was created. Union participation has declined in recent decades, and income inequality has correspondingly risen.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Unions suck, their appeal is to the least of us. If you have more talent or drive than the next guy you command a higher wage and deservedly so, period. I have left 2 in my life & would only recommend it to those who had to ride the short bus.

Reaction Score
NLRB has ruled 3 ways on the issues of students as employees, but almost always they only address private universities, not public ones. I think public U's are covered by state laws. In some states, public employees have the right to unionize, in others they don't.

1st decision:
"In its decision in New York University (NYU), 332 NLRB 1205 (2000), the NLRB held that certain university graduate students were statutory employees. Applying the common-law agency test, the NLRB concluded that these students fell within the statutory definition of employee and noted that the collective bargaining process was feasible in the university context. "

2nd decision: "NLRB decision says graduate students are not statutory employees. The National Labor Relations Board has upheld Brown University's argument on appeal that graduate teaching assistants are students – not statutory employees – and are therefore not an appropriate unit for collective bargaining. The NLRB overruled NYU in Brown University, 342 NLRB 483 (2004). In Brown University, the NLRB held that the graduate students, teaching assistants and research assistants did not fall under the statutory definition of employee. The NLRB reasoned that these individuals have a predominantly academic relationship with the school and their job positions arise only because the individual is a student."

3rd decision: "In 2016, the NLRB changed positions again in Columbia University, 364 NLRB No. 90 (2016), overruling Brown University, reinstating NYU, and asserting its jurisdiction over colleges and universities, indicating that an employment relationship can still exist even though the employee is also a student."

Then in 2020, the NLRB issued a new rule to cut through matters. They stated that students who received tuition remission should, as a matter of course, sign waivers affirming that they are NOT employees and that they are students.

The 2020 declaration would need to be legally tested, and I'm not sure that any university has used that language in the offering of scholarships. If they have, the NLRB has already said they would recognize its validity.
Also this:

"The conduct of USC, the Pac-12 conference, and the NCAA, as joint employers, deprives their players of their statutory right to organize and to join together to improve their working and playing conditions if they wish to do so," said NLRB general counsel Jennifer Abruzzo. "Our aim is to ensure that these players, as workers like any other, can fully and freely exercise their rights."
The decision by Abruzzo's staff to pursue all three groups as joint employers creates the possibility that all college athletes could be granted the right to unionize as a result of this case. The NLRB doesn't have jurisdiction over public universities, so the courts would need to determine that conferences and the NCAA act as an employer in order for their decision to apply to all schools competing in college sports.
Not an expert on this, but I think it would be a tough sell to say the Pac-12 or NCAA are the employers.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sad George Costanza GIF

Reaction Score
Unions suck, their appeal is to the least of us. If you have more talent or drive than the next guy you command a higher wage and deservedly so, period. I have left 2 in my life & would only recommend it to those who had to ride the short bus.
the least of us including those who fought for the safer working conditions that you currently enjoy?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
OP is certainly welcome to share his own thoughts, but I believe everyone deserves to be empowered with a democratic say in all avenues of life. Certainly in the workplace, but also in government and in civil society as well. When union participation was much higher in the post-WWII era, wages were much higher (adjusted for inflation) and the American "middle class" was created. Union participation has declined in recent decades, and income inequality has correspondingly risen.
✊✊

Reaction Score
I think I believed this in my 20's. They sound great in theory but seeing them up close in practice I recognized they're everything that's wrong with today's politics and littered with the same corruption.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s just grievance cosplay.

Go ahead and unionize, Darthmouth basketball players. Right those wrongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom