Danny’s Decision’s Impact On Current And Future Players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Danny’s Decision’s Impact On Current And Future Players

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Succession plans are a terrible idea.
Public succession plans are a terrible idea. Either your candid is tepid or he gets poached.

On the other hand, Benedict knows that Hurley will leave for the right NBA opportunity. He should have a short list of candidates to replace him, and have thought about the pros and cons of elevating existing staff. I'm sure he does.

Reaction Score
I can’t see a scenario where Kentucky can beat UConn in a head to head recruiting battle as long as Hurley is here. He was Kentucky’s choice, not Pope. And recruits will know that. Kentucky thought Danny was a better choice to lead their program. How do you overcome that?
With more money. Duh.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, Benedict knows that Hurley will leave for the right NBA opportunity. He should have a short list of candidates to replace him, and have thought about the pros and cons of elevating existing staff. I'm sure he does.
If I were an opposing coach in a recruiting battle, I would stress the idea that Hurley may not stick around for a recruit's college career due to Hurley's NBA aspirations. I'm glad that Hurley stayed but this Laker flirtation has opened up that scenario.

Reaction Score
We don’t need a Duke or Kentucky roster but we need the right coaches to keep this thing going, and we have them. Though Donovan and Stephan are projecting near the top of the draft now, I give the credit for that to the staff’s development not the McD number.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only succession plan I've ever seen succeed was one where the person being succeeded wasn't aware of the plan until it was implemented.

It was kind of similar to Phil Jackson being promoted to succeed Doug Collins (who had no idea his job was in jeopardy prior to his dismissal). It did however remove someone who was a bit too much of a beaurocrat and allow an entire staff to thrive.

A situation like that couldn't happen with what we have here.

Reaction Score
With more money. Duh.
You’re still not buying into the UConn mission statement huh? Danny will quickly weed the candidates out who can’t see the forest through the trees and are chasing an extra $500K or a million now at the expense of millions later.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Succession plans are a terrible idea.
Formal ones yes; terrible idea. Not good for morale. Private plans: everyone has some kind of succession plan but they just don't tell anybody. Keeping ones options open. Being a good manager means always having backup plans for as many things as possible. It kind of shocks people when you "pull one out of the hat" and immediately implement it (and you explain to them the theory behind backup plans).

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to help our brand and recruiting…I also think it’s going to help the big east with our tv contract negotiations
UConn better get its fair share of the pie. I wouldn’t trust Val running the only water stand in the desert. Totally incompetent lightweight.

Reaction Score
If I were an opposing coach in a recruiting battle, I would stress the idea that Hurley may not stick around for a recruit's college career due to Hurley's NBA aspirations. I'm glad that Hurley stayed but this Laker flirtation has opened up that scenario.
Define College Career for the level of player we are and will be recruiting. It may be 3 years(Karaban), it should be 2(Clingan, Hawkins) and it may be 1(Castle, McNeely??). The players probably plan on being drafted earlier than is realistic. So we sign a top recruit. He thinks he'll be gone in a year, maybe 2 and is not worried about the Head Coach leaving in his career.

Reaction Score
All is well that ends well. True. But it is also true that uncertainty is never good. DH can rectify this by making a strong, emphatic declaration that he is here and not looking to leave. That is the thing that cements his turning down Kentucky and LA for good. Maybe he did already, I just have not seen it.

Reaction Score
Geno has run into the same problem, recruits wondering if he'll retire before he has a chance to coach them. I read somewhere that he answers them this way: 'If you go to another school and I retire, THAT coach is applying for my job."

Reaction Score
All is well that ends well. True. But it is also true that uncertainty is never good. DH can rectify this by making a strong, emphatic declaration that he is here and not looking to leave. That is the thing that cements his turning down Kentucky and LA for good. Maybe he did already, I just have not seen it.
I feel like maybe you don’t know how life works. Or, you’re not actually believing the nonsense you type.

Situations change all the time, don’t say something that ends up looking like a lie.

Telling your bosses you’re never leaving, no matter what, is a great way for things to never get better. Stay in the American, don’t upgrade the facilities, abandon NIL efforts, don’t compensate the assistants in the way that they deserve, etc. Why should anything happen if you’re never leaving? Fortunately, many of the decision makers at UConn get that and also get how much having great basketball helps everyone.

Hurley is unfailingly honest with his guys. The whole me season, we season applies to everyone. Players have the opportunity to explore options and so do the coaches. Thankfully, most people have smartly figured out that there are few better places than UConn right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm for the have a plan but no need to tell the world about it. Whether it's officially called a succession plan or if AD DB has a list of known fill-ins should Hurley leave is a distinction without a difference to me.
Yep, and it constantly needs to be evaluated and updated because things change. Do it discreetly and on a need to know only basis.

Some people are way too rigid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s crazy where we are now.. players don’t transfer out even when they don’t get playing time..we get great players that want to play for us from other schools that we turn down.. life is good

Reaction Score
Mike Hopkins and the 5 consecutive titles he’s won at Syracuse in an alternate universe say otherwise.

But really, has one ever actually worked? I mean a pre-announced one.
Interesting question when you think how Hopkins, for example, was lined up for JB's job at Syracuse, got tired of waiting and, based on his time at UW, wouldn't have worked out at SU.........

Reaction Score
I agree that this could be used in negative recruiting to try and paint a certain picture of Hurley having a foot out the door, I just think it is incredibly easy to flip that script when you get to sit down with any recruit. The program and culture at UConn is elite to an extent that the NBA is taking notice and wants a piece of it. Come play for UConn and you’re playing within a system that has the notice of NBA front offices.

As to Hurley having a foot out the door, the “coaching carousel” is a threat to basically any program. Plenty of the coaches at historically top programs (Duke, UK, Indiana, etc.) haven’t proven they can win anything at the college level yet. If the best they can do is make a recruit a little nervous that Hurley may have a foot out the door, I have complete confidence that Hurley and his staff can convince the kids we want, and their parents, that he is committed to UConn and that includes being thoughtful and transparent if and when he decides to make any career changes.

And then I expect him to look those kids dead in the eye and say, “if all you want is a guarantee that you’re gonna play for a coach that will NEVER come up in any type of top level coaching job speculation, then maybe you are better off at Duke/UK. Cause you’re right, nobody is calling those guys.”

Reaction Score
You’re still not buying into the UConn mission statement huh? Danny will quickly weed the candidates out who can’t see the forest through the trees and are chasing an extra $500K or a million now at the expense of millions later.
No. Someone said how could we lose a recruiting battle. I gave the obvious and entirely correct response. That doesn’t mean every recruit will only factor in money in making their decision —- just that some obviously will.

But thank you for playing.

Reaction Score
No. Someone said how could we lose a recruiting battle. I gave the obvious and entirely correct response. That doesn’t mean every recruit will only factor in money in making their decision —- just that some obviously will.

But thank you for playing.
I’d stipulate that it wouldn’t even be a battle because said recruit wouldn’t be a priority if that’s where their priorities lie. But no…thank YOU for playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom